Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

This passed me by until now, and not sure if it was mentioned here.

Trump reportedly threw Starbursts on a table before Germany's Angela Merkel at the G7 summit and said, 'Don't say I never give you anything'

I realise this is a forum for serious political discussion, but.. I mean.. I can't even..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

UsedToWait wrote: »

Trump reportedly threw Starbursts on a table before Germany's Angela Merkel at the G7 summit and said, 'Don't say I never give you anything'

I realise this is a forum for serious political discussion, but.. I mean.. I can't even..

It's silly but fairly harmless in my opinion. It's not really statesmanlike and unsurprising from Trump. It might be conceived as a "power move" by the incels over in r/the_donald but ultimately, it's a drop in the ocean compared to the rest of his nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,923 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/senate-intel-russia-interfered-2016-election-preferred-trump-over-clinton#click=https://t.co/3W00VJoLGb

At the next press conference, it should go a little something like this..

Reporter - the president has used the words "witch hunt" dozens of times, and this was repeated by you and other White House staff and representatives on multiple occasions.
    Now that the joint senate Intel committee have concluded Russia DID interfere in the election, will the President stop using that phrase when referring to the Special Counsel's investigation into Russia's efforts to affect the election?

Next Reporter - Now that the joint senate Intel committee have concluded Russia DID interfere in the election, what steps have the Administration taken to ensure that this will not happen again?

Next Reporter - the President has always said that he won the election fair and square. Now that the joint senate Intel committee have concluded Russia DID interfere in the election, does the president accept that he did not win the election fairly?

Next Reporter - The president has tweeted that Russia has denied interfering and never accepted nor criticised Russia for so doing. What sanctions will Russia now face..Now that the joint senate Intel committee have concluded Russia DID interfere in the election.

Repeat that phrase ad nauseum, so its drummed into every viewers head, and quote the lame replies with it to prove that the Nationalist, America First President doesn't care Russia interfered with a national election.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

UsedToWait wrote: »

It's not like Merkel isn't use to US Presidents behaving oddly. At least Trump didn't try to give her a shoulder massage. (20 seconds jn). And yes, not technically serious discussion so preemptively apologise if this is too off topic etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,697 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Wonder what Trump is going to do about this.

The FBI/CIA and now the Senate all believes that Russia meddled in the last election. Trump continues to believe Putin over all of this, essentially taking Putin's word over the evidence of his own country.

Will Trump stop with the whole "Witch Hunt" thing. Will AMericans finally wake up and realise that, whether they like Trump or not, their country is being attacked and their CiC is doing nothing to combat it?
    Senate Intel backs assessment of Russian election meddling
    https://www.politico.com/story/2018/07/03/senate-russia-election-meddling-669405

I find it truly staggering that all these people continually shouting MAGA are so quick to ignore the facts staring them in the face. Put aside whether Trump was directly involved (which this doesn't address that is up to Mueller) but this should be treated as really serious.

Instead, Trump is clearly more worried about himself than he is about the country, hence why is is trying to shut all the investigations down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

They are quick to ignore it because their master and commander is saying its not true.

It really is that simple, nobody tells them the truth other than Trump is their world view. It is almost cult like, everytime Trump refers to it as a Witch Hunt or any of his talking heads refer to it as a witch hunt they should be hammered.

They should be played the same way the Republicans would do it if it were the other way around. Question their patriotism, question their integrity etc over and over again. Do not allow them to continue to lie and try to control the narrative unchallenged, hammer them.

For Trump acknowledging Russian interference calls into question the legitimacy of his Presidency. He thinks admitting one thing is proving the other, this is not necessarily the case and its ridiculous to pretend he is acting in the interests of country and not himself.

He should be called out on his dereliction of duty all day every day.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah, it simply comes down to fact Trump has cultivated a cult-leader following; maybe we should have seen it coming given this was ultimately the purpose of the whole 'drain the swamp' narrative. It ramped up the nationalism to a new degree, while declaring 'Washington' as a concept being scheming, manipulative and not to be trusted (let's ignore the obvious reality that Trump himself is a scheming, manipulative member of the establishment).

I mean it's not that uncommon in normal political circles really: in view of increasingly blatant evidence of your guilt - attack the accuser and have people question their credibility. Maybe mix the cult devotion with some classic Sunk Cost Fallacy and you have Trump's base; why would they turn around now and admit they basically followed a Russian stooge (the only question now is just how knowing he was in all this) into ruination?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,732 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Leroy42 wrote: »

Except that the voters do like them. The majority voted for HC for example. .

Fun fact but if you exclude LA County and NYC, Trump won the popular vote as well.

This abolish ICE stuff is so foolish, exactly the type of thing you expect from the Democrats to score an own goal. It's a free home run for Trump and the Republicans to boot.

Yes correct. The vast vast majority of Americans believe in borders, so if the Democrats want to run on an open border platform, they will lose.

markodaly wrote: »
    Fun fact but if you exclude LA County and NYC, Trump won the popular vote as well.

Fun fact, if you exclude my uncle's balls he would be my aunt.

What's your point?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Yes correct. The vast vast majority of Americans believe in borders, so if the Democrats want to run on an open border platform, they will lose.

I keep seeing this thrown around...

Can someone point me in the direction of some Dems who want to run on open borders?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Democrats lead in the fivethirtyeight 'generic congress' polls, that is, fivethirtyeight's showing 47%-39% democratic lead in the polls.

But, it's July. Lots can happen. Even if the Democratic party wins in November, Trump can't be impeached till next year, plenty of time to make mischief.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/congress-generic-ballot-polls/

And, without a Senate majority, it'll be a pointless impeachment, though in theory his last 2 years would be gutted should it get as far as an impeachment trial. A democratic party controlled Congress would at least control legislation and theoretically could override vetoes.

Fivethirtyeight's showing a 31% chance of the Democratic party taking over control of the Senate. Wouldn't that be entertaining....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,938 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The chance of Trump being impeached is close to zero, you talk about it as if you believe it will happen.

Even if the Dems win a majority in November.

everlast75 wrote: »
    Fun fact, if you exclude my uncle's balls he would be my aunt.

What's your point?

That you cannot win an election by appealing to LA or NY.
    Anyway 304 > 227

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Are the pay to play issues at Mar-a-Lago, nepotism and general self-enrichment of he and his family enough on their own for impeachment?

Even leaving aside the Russia factor, he's behaved in a way that wouldn't have been accepted for previous presidents, but I don't know enough about the impeachment process to know whether that's grounds for impeachment or just being seen as the worst ever president, who has demeaned the office, possibly beyond repair.

DrumSteve wrote: »

Can someone point me in the direction of some Dems who want to run on open borders?

Congress Keith Ellison and Ocasio Cortez have both been at rallies recently stating their opposition to borders.

You can understand that position from the Libertarian Party or the radical free market wing of the Republicans but a party that even views itself as even centre left or just for a fair shake for workers, it is insane.

Cortez has some very extreme views that may play well on the Ivy League Campus but will go down bad in much of America, especially Working Class areas.

They are two Congress people in all but name and the rot does not stop there. Much of the Media will share her views, it won't damage her prospects but it will scare a lot of voters off the Dems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Danzy wrote: »
    Congress Keith Ellison and Ocasio Cortez have both been at rallies recently stating their opposition to borders.

You can understand that position from the Libertarian Party or the radical free market wing of the Republicans but a party that even views itself as even centre left or just for a fair shake for workers, it is insane.

Cortez has some very extreme views that may play well on the Ivy League Campus but will go down bad in much of America, especially Working Class areas.

They are two Congress people in all but name and the rot does not stop there. Much of the Media will share her views, it won't damage her prospects but it will scare a lot of voters off the Dems.

That's a misrepresentation of their position. Calling for ICE to be abolished is not a call to open borders.

https://www.factcheck.org/2018/07/calls-to-abolish-ice-not-open-borders/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

The chance of Trump being impeached is close to zero, you talk about it as if you believe it will happen.

With a Democratic party majority in both houses, I wouldn't bet against it.

Obstruction of justice is likely to be the charge.

But, without a majority in the Senate, I doubt it'll happen.

DrumSteve wrote: »

Nobody can because no democrat does want open borders, it won't stop them spreading lies about it and using things like calls for an abolishing of ICE as proof of this.

Perception is reality in politics.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

That you cannot win an election by appealing to LA or NY.
    Anyway 304 > 227

Sorry what is your point? We all know what happened in the election.

We also now know, from the intelligence services and the House, that Russia meddled in the 2016 election. Have you nothing at all to say about that?

It strikes me as really odd that people are so quick to point out where HC lost the election, but seem totally non-plussed about the fact that Russia interfered with it. Given the tight nature of some of the states, it is not beyond reason to think that Russia had a direct impact on getting Trump elected, that without their targeted election meddling that Trump would never have won.

Now, all Americans need to ask themselves why Russia would want to side with Trump over HC. There is always the scenario that they did it for sh1ts and giggles. However, that is unlikely. More likely is that they feared that HC would continue on with the sanctions etc that Obama had done, so they went with Trump. With Trump's ties to Russia in terms of his business, surely it is worth a question as to why Trump seem so non-plussed about the whole thing.

• Advertisement

Plenty of people talk as if it will happen. Plenty of respected people from both sides and the middle.

Plenty of people talk as if it will happen. Plenty of respected people from both sides and the middle.

Trump himself has said that the November elections effectively amount to vote on whether to impeach him or not for example.
    Speaking to his supporters in Michigan at a rally he held in preference to attending the White House correspondents’ dinner in Washington, Mr Trump said it was vital to retain control of the House.
    “We have to keep the House because if we listen to Maxine Waters, she’s going around saying, ‘We will impeach him, we will impeach him’,” he said.
    “But then people say, ‘He’s done nothing wrong’. But she says, ‘Oh that doesn’t matter. We will impeach the president’.”
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-democrats-impeach-republicans-lose-house-representatives-midterms-elections-a8328271.html

The chance of Trump being impeached is close to zero, you talk about it as if you believe it will happen

Well if you go check Trump's lawyer (Rudi) he will tell you otherwise, or is he "fake news" too?

Sorry what is your point? We all know what happened in the election.

We also now know, from the intelligence services and the House, that Russia meddled in the 2016 election. Have you nothing at all to say about that?

It strikes me as really odd that people are so quick to point out where HC lost the election, but seem totally non-plussed about the fact that Russia interfered with it. Given the tight nature of some of the states, it is not beyond reason to think that Russia had a direct impact on getting Trump elected, that without their targeted election meddling that Trump would never have won.

Now, all Americans need to ask themselves why Russia would want to side with Trump over HC. There is always the scenario that they did it for sh1ts and giggles. However, that is unlikely. More likely is that they feared that HC would continue on with the sanctions etc that Obama had done, so they went with Trump. With Trump's ties to Russia in terms of his business, surely it is worth a question as to why Trump seem so non-plussed about the whole thing.

I get the impression that those tending to dismiss the Russian interference, have done so either in disbelief as to how mere Facebook posts could even change a vote, or simply as a variation of the whole "I'd never be fooled by advertisers!" confidence. Clearly it was a more sophisticated, targeted campaign than banner ads telling people to vote Trump, but it seems like there's a cognitive dissonance between what Russia actually did, and what some folks think Russia are said to have done. Of all things, there was a very good episode of The Good Fight (spinoff from The Good Wife) that explained the concept of microtargeting, how it works, and can sway an otherwise unknowing audience - because truthfully, I was a bit sceptical myself as to how Russia could leverage demographics through the power of Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

The house impeaches. All that's needed is a democratic majority. That's the easy part.

The senate then tries the impeachment and return a vote. Removal from office requires 67 votes in the senate. That's the hard part.

jooksavage wrote: »
    That's a misrepresentation of their position. Calling for ICE to be abolished is not a call to open borders.

https://www.factcheck.org/2018/07/calls-to-abolish-ice-not-open-borders/

I'm not talking about ICE.

That is another issue that many Democrats are out of touch with the electorate on.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Eddie Rockets are doing a Trump burger for €5 and a Trump tower burger for €7.50. Had one for lunch, they even stuck a miniature flag in the top. It was totally totally tasty.

20180702_223816.jpg

Poached the above from After Hours, and given this is the POTUS  thread , the day thats in it and that theres been plenty mocking memes posted in this thread .

Happy 4th Of July.. Im off to 'impeach' a couple of Trump burgers , the Trump Tower burger is HUGE .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

It's the height of daftness to be making definitive statements about the likelihood of a Trump impeachment. There's simply no way of knowing what will happen. No one knows what Mueller and his team have. No one has the faintest idea how this thing with Cohen will pan out. There's every possibility that it will all come to nothing. But there are simply too many variables there and we have no way of knowing what kind of constitutional crisis will come about if Trump refuses to an interview with Mueller or he tries to pardon himself or he reacts badly to Don Jr. or Kushner being indicted. 18 months ago no one could have predicted the Mueller investigation, God only knows what the next 30 have in store.

Trump himself has said that the November elections effectively amount to vote on whether to impeach him or not for example.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/trump-democrats-impeach-republicans-lose-house-representatives-midterms-elections-a8328271.html

It helps the Republicans to make it a debate on impeachment.

Enough of the more critical thinkers in that party learned from the ****show that was the Clinton impeachment attempt.

Bannon is already on record as saying that he sees the impeachment debate as a boon for the party and that it could help close the current gap.

There is some serious straw clutching going on and unless they get him, the people calling for it will be undermined, Trump will relish this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,051 ✭✭✭✭listermint

It helps the Republicans to make it a debate on impeachment.

Enough of the more critical thinkers in that party learned from the ****show that was the Clinton impeachment attempt.

Bannon is already on record as saying that he sees the impeachment debate as a boon for the party and that it could help close the current gap.

There is some serious straw clutching going on and unless they get him, the people calling for it will be undermined, Trump will relish this.

No one can call themselves a critical thinker and agree with Trumps trade 'policies'

Cracking stuff all the same though

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement