Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Also is Trump scheduled to meet the queen when he comes to Britain ? I can imagine the train wreck that would be if it happens.

He is indeed. It's not an official state visit but I read somewhere that he's meeting her at Windsor Castle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Michael Cohen has hired longtime Clinton lawyer Lanny Davis.

Interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    He is indeed. It's not an official state visit but I read somewhere that he's meeting her at Windsor Castle.

I wonder what protocol mess he'll make ? He's going to make one you just know it. He'll probably try and buy Windsor castle and want to build a golf course in the grounds of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Nox

Yet another superb speech this afternoon in Montana.  One superior line he used was that Max is more of the face of the dims than Nancy.  If anyone is interested, on 6 July … Fox is presenting a story on the 'health crisis' in Nancy's city.  She is helping her city just like the past president did his city.  

As President Donald J. Trump said to dim voters … "What have you got to lose?"  In SF and Chicago … a dangerous place to live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,923 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Nox wrote: »
    Yet another superb speech this afternoon in Montana.  One superior line he used was that Max is more of the face of the dims than Nancy.  If anyone is interested, on 6 July … Fox is presenting a story on the 'health crisis' in Nancy's city.  She is helping her city just like the past president did his city.  

As President Donald J. Trump said to dim voters … "What have you got to lose?"  In SF and Chicago … a dangerous place to live.

Oh, tne rally where he said that the guy who meddled in the US election, according to his own intelligence agencies AND a bipartisan senate intel committee, he had no beef with?

https://twitter.com/dcexaminer/status/1015006807566245889?s=19

That rally?

C'mon folks. Anyone doubt that Putin has kompromat on oul Donny?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Yet another superb speech this afternoon in Montana....

Yeah. This is what Im hearing when someone tells us about Trumps superb speeches

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I listened to a bit of that rally. It's pretty disturbing stuff. He went all in on more Pocahontas stuff, and then started in on the #metoo movement, joking he had to be gentle with his contact with Warren because of it.

It's so completely tone-deaf, but a lot of his support seem to lap it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

I must have missed the story breaking of Trumps task force to remove citzenship from naturalised citizens. Expects numbers to be in the thousands. A lot of these people will likely be left stateless so nowhere to deport them to. I guess they need to keep the concentration camps full now that they can't use children to fill them.

https://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a22061884/denaturalization-task-force-trump-citizenship/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,227 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Use the proper name of Political Parties and people please.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Also is Trump scheduled to meet the queen when he comes to Britain ? I can imagine the train wreck that would be if it happens.

Thankfully not a state visit, doesn't get to stay in a palace, doesn't get a carriage ride down The Mall. Unfortunately they are still letting him meet the Queen, but not state banquet just essentially stopping by to say hi and have a cup of tea

There is a whole series of protest events setup to follow him around, including a Trump baby blimp outside the House of Commons as he goes past which has been approved by a Trump favourite Twitter punchbag, Sadiq Khan.

• Advertisement

I listened to a bit of that rally. It's pretty disturbing stuff. He went all in on more Pocahontas stuff, and then started in on the #metoo movement, joking he had to be gentle with his contact with Warren because of it.

It's so completely tone-deaf, but a lot of his support seem to lap it up.

He also said he believes that those men who accused jim jordan of knowing sexual abuse was happening are liars.

Now, its one thing to say that people are innocent until proven guilty, and let any investigation run its course... but calling the accusers liars?

I suppose when you have so many cases against you for sexual misconduct, its easier to tar them all with the same brush

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,208 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Hes created a denauturalisation task force to find "the bad naturalised citizens"

https://www.theroot.com/trump-creates-denaturalization-task-force-to-pursue-d-1827372139

These are people who have nowhere to go as to become naturalised you have to give up an prior citizenship of another country, what are they gonna do with the apparently few thousand who have nowhere else to go? More camps anyone?

everlast75 wrote: »
    He also said he believes that those men who accused jim jordan of knowing sexual abuse was happening are liars.

Now, its one thing to say that people are innocent until proven guilty, and let any investigation run its course... but calling the accusers liars?

I suppose when you have so many cases against you for sexual misconduct, its easier to tar them all with the same brush

It's worth noting again at this point that Trumps ex-wife swore under oath in 1989 that, irritated and in pain after a hair transplant procedure, he raped her and tore hair from her scalp. Just something to bear in mind when we see him standing up for the likes of Jim Jordan.

Also, on a similar tangent, it looks Bill Shine, former Fox New co-president is up for head of communications at WH. He's been accused by former staff of turning a blind eye to the harassment that perverts Roger Ailes and Bill o'Reilly subjected them to.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

Another stellar week for the Trump administration, their forward momentum continues to make progress.

US auto stocks traded positively yesterday on talk of a bilateral removal of car tariffs between the US and Germany .
    Yes bilateral, it would appear Trump administration trade tactic is starting to pay some dividends. Theres talk that both the US and Germany will remove all car tariffs . The US Ambassador to Germany met with the CEOs of Daimler, BMX and VW. 

US JOBS data is out today , I expect Trump has already seen the numbers hence the very upbeat performance in Montana.
    The senate race is very close in Montana, with a single digit lead in the polls for the Dem. Trump is obviously taking the right strategy by going there and delivering a trade mark performance to mobilize the votes and help flip this Senate seat to Jon Tester (GOP) . I think they will, the whole Maxine Waters and Democrat search for identity is feeding into the insecurity voters feel about what direction the Dem party is going in. That insecurity will feed into low 'blue wave' turnout and some GOP upsets in November.

The whole Scotty Pruitt resignation can be spun many ways, granted he overstayed his welcome in that post, but as for drainign the swamp, what better way to show how serious the Trump administration is about this that to also look internally. 
    Pruitt is the 3rd Cabinet member to resign/push/fired but ethics violations, Shulkin (VA Affairs) , and Price (Health and Home Sec) , it sends a message that ethics violations wont be tolerated within the Trump administration.  
    Meanwhile China continues to suffer badly in the trade war/rebalance, as Ive said consistently its about who may break first and econmic indicatars are telling us hte US is in a much stronger position, .
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/05/china-has-worlds-worst-stock-market-and-it-could-remain-weak-until-tr.html

So all in all a very positive week for the Trump administration. Democrats search for an ideology has now been laid bare, the internal wrangling has become public and can only benefit the GOP and alienate moderates and swing voters. Plus the mutli-faceted multi-pronged policies and strategy of the adults in the Whitehouse are starting to pay dividends on 'main street' .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,208 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

RIGOLO wrote: »
    The whole Scotty Pruitt resignation can be spun many ways, granted he overstayed his welcome in that post, but as for drainign the swamp, what better way to show how serious the Trump administration is about this that to also look internally.
    Pruitt is the 3rd Cabinet member to resign/push/fired but ethics violations, Shulkin (VA Affairs) , and Price (Health and Home Sec) , it sends a message that ethics violations wont be tolerated within the Trump administration.

The cognitive dissonance you are capable of astounds me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,697 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Leroy42 wrote: »
    And what is the bets that his supporters will out claiming that this (Pruitt resignation) is another example of Trump Draining the Swamp!

Still, it is sad to see another of the best people going. FOr a man that knows the best people he certainly didn't pick many of them for his original admin. Still, that being a brilliant businessman I suppose
    Another stellar week for the Trump administration, their forward momentum continues to make progress.

Meanwhile China continues to suffer badly in the trade war/rebalance, as Ive said consistently its about who may break first and econmic indicatars are telling us hte US is in a much stronger position

It is not often that I get things right, but sometimes it really is so obvious what is going to happen

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

US auto stocks traded positively yesterday on talk of a bilateral removal of car tariffs between the US and Germany .
    Yes bilateral, it would appear Trump administration trade tactic is starting to pay some dividends. Theres talk that both the US and Germany will remove all car tariffs . The US Ambassador to Germany met with the CEOs of Daimler, BMX and VW. 

Except that's not what is happening , at all.

For a start, Germany cannot remove tariffs , they are EU tariffs so the whole of the EU would have to agree. and second , there hasn't been a single word from ANY government official in the EU about altering the tariffs. All that's happened is that the US Ambassador to Germany met with a few Snr Leaders of car manufacturers and they've said that they'll support anything that stops Trump bringing in his tariffs..Hardly earth shattering news.
    German car makers’ efforts face significant hurdles. Berlin has no power to hammer out trade deals—a prerogative of the European Commission, the EU’s executive body in Brussels—and would have to persuade fellow EU member states, starting with France, to back a radical free-trade approach many have shown little interest in.

So , not what you've said, at all.
    US JOBS data is out today , I expect Trump has already seen the numbers hence the very upbeat performance in Montana.
    The senate race is very close in Montana, with a single digit lead in the polls for the Dem. Trump is obviously taking the right strategy by going there and delivering a trade mark performance to mobilize the votes and help flip this Senate seat to Jon Tester (GOP) . I think they will, the whole Maxine Waters and Democrat search for identity is feeding into the insecurity voters feel about what direction the Dem party is going in. That insecurity will feed into low 'blue wave' turnout and some GOP upsets in November.

Meanwhile China continues to suffer badly in the trade war/rebalance, as Ive said consistently its about who may break first and econmic indicatars are telling us hte US is in a much stronger position, .
    https://www.cnbc.com/2018/07/05/china-has-worlds-worst-stock-market-and-it-could-remain-weak-until-tr.html

So all in all a very positive week for the Trump administration. Democrats search for an ideology has now been laid bare, the internal wrangling has become public and can only benefit the GOP and alienate moderates and swing voters. Plus the mutli-faceted multi-pronged policies and strategy of the adults in the Whitehouse are starting to pay dividends on 'main street' .

Seriously?

If he was forced out because "Ethic Violations won't be tolerated" then why didn't anyone in the Administration say that??

In fact what Trump said was

"I have accepted the resignation of Scott Pruitt as the Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency. Within the Agency Scott has done an outstanding job, and I will always be thankful to him for this."

Hardly draining the swamp and refusing to accept corruption now is it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Corkblowin

Do you work in the White House?

Oddly, that's note the message I took from this. I think the stronger message was sent by Trump tolerating the conveyor belt of escalating scandals for months on end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

I'm not sure you aren't a parody account.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

VinLieger wrote: »
    The cognitive dissonance you are capable of astounds me

WWE still has a lot of fans too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,697 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Well, yes I suppose you are right. They started on a Monday and moved forward to Friday. Another successful week! As for anything achieved, well not so much

This is an odd one. I can't see what he is trying to get out of this. Reduce tariffs to zero on both sides (which is what he wants) will help how? Surely he is not looking for more EU cars to be imported into the US, thus reducing the amount of manufacturing jobs. And I cannot see why the US companies would manufacture cars for EU in the US when the market is big enough to produce them in the EU and save all the hassle.

Also, why are they not meeting with the EU commissioners? Talking to German car makers is a very long winded way of getting to the commission. The Car CEO's will have to go to Merkel, who has to go to the Commission. I can see the logic, but it is a long term approach and should have been done way before tariffs were brought in.

What has been the pickup since Obama left? We also must factor in that the Trump gave away billions in tax cuts for this very purpose so simply adding jobs at the same rate as before is not enough, it is the very least we should be expecting.

More partisan nonsense. If the Dems are in such disarray then why does POTUS need to take time out to electioneer for the GOP when he should be dealing with other stuff?

Yes very positive.
    His EPA chief resigned.
    He claimed men saying they were abused were liars without knowing the facts.
    His deal with NK, you know the best deal ever, fell apart and was shown to be nothing of substance.
    He continues to attack a US company (HD) for having the cheek not to agree with him.
    The House Committee came out and stated that Russia meddled in the election in his favour, yet he claims he believes Putin instead and has done nothing to protect the system from further attack.
    And that is just this week, and you claim its a positive!

This "search for identity" among the Dems seem to be something of a comfort blanket for Rs. It's also a pile of nonsense. As Dan Pfeiffer points out, this is something that originated and is written about all the time by the likes of the NY Times and the Washington Post. Why? Because the vast majority of the writers and practically all of the editors are Democrats who feel the need to appear balanced above all else. There are definitely tensions within the party - the Senate D's political spectrum goes all the way from Joe Machin to Kirsten Gillibrand. It's a broad church but that's nothing new: arch Liberal Ted Kennedy's best friend in the senate was former klansman Robert Byrd. At the end of the day, voters will look to the candidates in their own district, as Dems have historically done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I'm not sure you aren't a parody account.

I actually have them blocked. I still have to deal with getting a headache with the spam when someone else quotes their posts though, unfortunately

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

jooksavage wrote: »

This "search for identity" among the Dems seem to be something of a comfort blanket for Rs. It's also a pile of nonsense. As Dan Pfeiffer points out, this is something that originated and is written about all the time by the likes of the NY Times and the Washington Post. Why? Because the vast majority of the writers and practically all of the editors are Democrats who feel the need to appear balanced above all else. There are definitely tensions within the party - the Senate D's political spectrum goes all the way from Joe Machin to Kirsten Gillibrand. It's a broad church but that's nothing new: arch Liberal Ted Kennedy's best friend in the senate was former klansman Robert Byrd. At the end of the day, voters will look to the candidates in their own district, as Dems have historically done.
    Adults dont need comfort blankets, they look at the market, the futures, the economic data, polling trends and stuff like that to take comfort in . Stuff like the jobs data coming out in a few hours, as it does every first Friday of every month whihc has made for a good Friday for the Trump administration for the last 12 months.
    But back to yourpoints, as Ive regularly pointed out, its not really your own voters you have to win over.
    Hardline GOP will vote GOP, hardline Dem likewise. To win a tight race and to win a Presidential election you need to capture the swing vote, and all this public wrangling over ideology and policy in the Dem party is losing them the middle of the road voter who will be concerned at a national level what the Dem party represents. 
    The turnout is key , and again Dem voters who are hard to get out at the best of times are showing no signs of a blue wave and will tire and switch off as their leaders publicly wrangle and 'the broad church' representation backfires .   
    Plus the SCOTUS pick is a big win for the GOP leading into November, with a potential for another one down the road, again that will win a few moderates over. 
    The winds are in the sails of the GOP, Dems need to get their act together , its too late for November, at best its damage limitation for the DNC, try not to totally implode before then and perhaps rally by 2020. But they dont seem to be learning by any of their mistakes, nor are they keen to take any advice or insight. Their echo chamber approach is only benefiting GOP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Drain the swamp by giving someone a job and hoping that they're unethical seems like a very inefficient way to drain anything.

Drain the swamp by giving someone a job and hoping that they're unethical seems like a very inefficient way to drain anything.

And he wasn't fired either.
    Which is kind of a key point, when you try to claim this as Trump draining the swamp.
    He walked.

And a second point. Trump has consistently called Pruit "a great guy", even after 14 separate investigations were launched for ethics violations.
    So how can you claim to be draining the swamp, by complimenting the epitome of corruption?

Its complete and utter nonsense. How anyone can fall for it, I really don't know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

Use the proper name of Political Parties and people please.

Oh, that's what he was trying to say.

Between that and the copypasta guy I thought I was having a stroke.

• Advertisement

Adults dont need comfort blankets, they look at the market, the futures, the economic data, polling trends and stuff like that to take comfort in . Stuff like the jobs data coming out in a few hours, as it does every first Friday of every month whihc has made for a good Friday for the Trump administration for the last 12 months.
    But back to yourpoints, as Ive regularly pointed out, its not really your own voters you have to win over.
    Hardline GOP will vote GOP, hardline Dem likewise. To win a tight race and to win a Presidential election you need to capture the swing vote, and all this public wrangling over ideology and policy in the Dem party is losing them the middle of the road voter who will be concerned at a national level what the Dem party represents. 
    The turnout is key , and again Dem voters who are hard to get out at the best of times are showing no signs of a blue wave and will tire and switch off as their leaders publicly wrangle and 'the broad church' representation backfires .   
    Plus the SCOTUS pick is a big win for the GOP leading into November, with a potential for another one down the road, again that will win a few moderates over. 
    The winds are in the sails of the GOP, Dems need to get their act together , its too late for November, at best its damage limitation for the DNC, try not to totally implode before then and perhaps rally by 2020. But they dont seem to be learning by any of their mistakes, nor are they keen to take any advice or insight. Their echo chamber approach is only benefiting GOP.

Can I ask you a few quick questions?

1) Do you believe Russia interfered in the 2016 election?
    2) If so, do you think Trump aided and abetted Russia?
    3) Do you think Trump is compromised by Putin?

I would really appreciate truly honest answers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement