Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

2 Scoops wrote: »
    I'm not upset, I'm just bewildered.

As for terrorists and cult like behavior, have a look at the violence of the radical left in the US or your own parties behavior and actions before projecting it onto others

I doubt anybody in Ireland has much affiliation with the Democrat party, and yes whatabout that other behaviour that is bad, isn't it amazing how one can recognise it if the players are wearing a different jersey?

Cult like behaviour on one side does nothing to negate cult like behaviour on another side.

To use your own question, shouldn't you look inside before projecting?

I don't care about the Democrats, I don't give a fiddler's about Maxine waters, hell I don't really care too much what happens to the US other than when it has a knock on effect to other countries.

I have no skin in this game, if there is bull**** on the Democrat side I have no problem calling it, shame the same can't be said for some who are unable to be honest about the other.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,621 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The real problem is not the lie, though he does lie in the order of multiple times any one else, it's not being able to say, I erred in the facts, when evidence is produced to him and his cronies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,927 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Was at least partially influenced by the release of a Star Wars film at the time.

I heard that one before, which makes it even worse.

Do they take themselves serious at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

Water John wrote: »
    The real problem is not the lie, though he does lie in the order of multiple times any one else, it's not being able to say, I erred in the facts, when evidence is produced to him and his cronies.

That's reasonable and I don't disagree, it's a far cry from comparing his supporters to ISIS.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Every politician lies, not as abrasively as Trump but in a more conceived conniving way so that you're happy to go along with it.

"...on both sides. On both sides."

Trump is pathologically incapable of telling the truth, except by accident. It's also hilarious how Donald "I love him because he's not a politician" Trump is forgiven for his lies because "all politicians lie".

It really is impossible to be a Trump supporter without completely suspending critical thinking.

• Advertisement

I doubt anybody in Ireland has much affiliation with the Democrat party, and yes whatabout that other behaviour that is bad, isn't it amazing how one can recognise it if the players are wearing a different jersey?

Cult like behaviour on one side does nothing to negate cult like behaviour on another side.

To use your own question, shouldn't you look inside before projecting?

I don't care about the Democrats, I don't give a fiddler's about Maxine waters, hell I don't really care too much what happens to the US other than when it has a knock on effect to other countries.

I have no skin in this game, if there is bull**** on the Democrat side I have no problem calling it, shame the same can't be said for some who are unable to be honest about the other.

Maxine was looking out for Maxine, it was publicity for her and bollox to the Democratic Party and their aims.

I suppose every politician has to do what it takes to get elected but she has a safe seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

EdgeCase wrote: »
    He doesn't have dementia. He's just highly manipulative and populist political figure. These statements are designed to sow doubts, division, stir stuff up. They're very strategic. That's the worrying bit!

Could be both.either way i think his time is running out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,621 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That Indicment of the 2 Russians is very detailed and precise. Not one corner or shadow of all this will escape Mueller. If there is anything on you, you should be worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

smurgen wrote: »

Not too sure about that. At this rate we should have a Donald Trump Presidency thread V to discuss on.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

pixelburp wrote: »
    Accusations of "sides" is a bit trite on an Irish discussion forum of all things; "your side lost" is the sort of thing sports fanatics say for goodness sake and given 99% of us here have no skin in the game - why presume most here have any bias beyond hurling from the ditch at worst?

I'd be hard pressed to vote Democrat in the first place and am quite glad our political system is fairer and more accommodating towards a wide range of views, than "pick 1 from 2"

It's projection. They assume that if you don't like Trump, you must feel as strongly about Clinton or Obama as they feel about Trump. Neither Clinton nor Obama had the same kind of sycophantic support that they give to Trump.

• Advertisement

smurgen wrote: »

Will he win in 2020 is the question and he'll have a very good chance.

You can hate him, love him or not care but that is the starting presumption.

Anything is possible of course but holding out for something is a bit like Whitewater and Benghazi talk around the Clintons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

It's projection. They assume that if you don't like Trump, you must feel as strongly about Clinton or Obama as they feel about Trump. Neither Clinton nor Obama had the same kind of sycophantic support that they give to Trump.

I know words, I have the best words. Like you use the word projection I can use the word exaggeration.

I'm fine with people criticizing him or disliking him, comparing normal people to ISIS mentality/behavior is where the exaggeration part comes in.

I know words, I have the best words. Like you use the word projection I can use the word exaggeration.

I'm fine with people criticizing him or disliking him, comparing normal people to ISIS mentality/behavior is where the exaggeration part comes in.

Some of his evangelical base(which is what I said) are far from normal people and I say it again are not that far removed from ISIS, not in action as you very well know (but give them time ;)) semi joking, ideologically they are not far apart. Two sides of a coin. The extreme element's of any side tend to be more alike than they would like to acknowledge.

Are there normal people who support Trump? For sure, are there lunatics? Obviously.

Evangelicals are a nutty bunch as it is without even getting into the ridiculous mental gymnastics they do to justify supporting Trump with all his flaws.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I don't see a problem with that. The same is true of Jeremy Corbyn supporters in the UK. They somehow believe he will blaze a new trail in Brexit negotiations that will get a great deal for the UK. They also ignore any faults he has. Some of his supporters act like they are in a cult and refuse to engage their brains. Like ISIS supporters and like some Trump supporters.

Even when confronted with the evidence, concrete evidence, facts that cannot be disputed some of his supporters will double down and insist that he is not lying. I think the comparison to ISIS supporters who would have left their lives in the EU and go to Syria/Iraq to join the Caliphate would also double down to themselves that they are doing the right thing.

Donald Trump's Lies Are True, American Voter Tells James O'Brien

In any case, with the latest indictments it is unthinkable that Trump will go ahead with his meeting with Putin. To think he wants to have the meeting in secret as well should give you not just pause, but send the alarm bells ringing so loudly in your head that you will not be able to sleep. The wealthiest nation in the world was conned by the biggest conman out there. That people still cannot see this is just a reflection of how stupid humans are.

Some of his evangelical base(which is what I said) are far from normal people and I say it again are not that far removed from ISIS, not in action as you very well know (but give them time ;)) semi joking, ideologically they are not far apart. Two sides of a coin. The extreme element's of any side tend to be more alike than they would like to acknowledge.

Are there normal people who support Trump? For sure, are there lunatics? Obviously.

Evangelicals are a nutty bunch as it is without even getting into the ridiculous mental gymnastics they do to justify supporting Trump with all his flaws.

You can include many of his opponents in that comparison as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

Great to see sky news showing up the ignorant loud mouth protestors in their true form today, an absolute disgraceful way to treat the US president regardless of who they are.

Nice to see Donald making some good progress on trade talks

Maybe you could tell us some of those details for the trade talks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Here's Piers Morgan struggling with that concept

Must say, I really enjoy when Morgan is shown up to be the complete nitwit he is :D

He did just that, didn't he.
    #
    He was a bit slow off the mark on calling her out on supporting the most murderous ideology of the last century.

He did look like he got slapped around the chops though, which was nice.

He didn't realise she was a communist till the end of the interview to be fair to him, a master of preparation.

• Advertisement

He didn't realise she was a communist till the end of the interview to be fair to him, a master of preparation.

In fairness to Pat Kenny, he always researches his topics. Morgan was coasting.

Danzy wrote: »
    In fairness to Pat Kenny, he always researches his topics. Morgan was coasting.

Don't mind Pat generally, particularly on the radio. Was never a big fan of the late late but find his radio show pretty good when I get to listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

I've seen some radical stuff written here but this argument just goes beyond any of that, and now multiple posters are trying to justify it

Your side lost the election, stop comparing people who've done nothing wrong to terrorists

Sorry, it was my post.

Just to clear it up, I meant STUPID. People who argue for whatever Donald Trump says all the time in face of irrefutable evidence are STUPID.

It's faith based rather than evidence based.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

And here we go with the angry mob mentality/deflection excuse when someone calls out how radical this thread is, predictable really.

Another standard and dull tactic from the right... when a majority of people (not unlike the majority of Americans who voted for POTUS's opponent) disagree and are vocal about it they are demeaned as a 'mob'.

Particularly hilarious and hypocritical when one considers the right wing have for decades labelled themselves the 'moral majority'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I think the lasting legacy of Trump will be how all of his promises to the US voters will turn out to have been a lies. He said he would protect US jobs, yet his tariffs has done the exact opposite. He said he would drain the swamp, yet he appointed the likes of Scott Pruitt who wasted taxpayer money on himself and his cronies.

He also said he would look after the middle classes and his tax regime would hurt him personally, yet magically it is the very rich that benefit from said taxes. And the big one, he would put the American people first, yet he colluded with Russia and is actively pursuing his own interests and it seems the interests of Russia ahead of the US.

What's telling is how the WH have responded to the indictments. Focusing purely on what isn't there, rather than saying well done to the investigators for unearthing this attack on the nation and focusing on what is in there and what steps they are going to take on the back of that. The need to latch on to each release that doesn't indict the president as a victory and a complete exoneration regardless of how careful the DOJ are with their wording ie, in this particular indictment.

It's just complete paranoia and defensive crap and it is delinquent in the sworn duty to protect the united states.

I can't get my head around it, ok sure you wanna stick with the no collusion. I get that, but what they do does nothing to help their cause or protect America. Isn't that supposed to be the number one priority for all these patriots?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

The Tea Party and "The Resistance" are largely the same mentality and manner.

As for the term "The Resistance", how f'ing far up their own hole must one be to have coined that phrase. It is largely a media thing but how out of touch must they be.

'I'm the only one' Trump. I'm old enough to remember when people would decry Obama for being messianic.

It is also telling that you write Tea Party without quotation marks, as though that was an established fact...

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

Will he win in 2020 is the question and he'll have a very good chance.

You can hate him, love him or not care but that is the starting presumption.

Anything is possible of course but holding out for something is a bit like Whitewater and Benghazi talk around the Clintons.

He may if he can keep the con up for long ennough or the effect of his not going into details on anything doesn't hit home.

In 20 years though we'll be talking about one of the biggest failures of a presidency in history.

you can gloatmark this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,746 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Thought Lammy’s Speech was excellent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Must say, I really enjoy when Morgan is shown up to be the complete nitwit he is :D

This was beautiful:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement