Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-ca-trump-hats-cali-fame-carson-20151124-story.html

About 80% of the company's workforce is Latino, Kennedy estimates. He says that every worker has his or her immigration status verified.

Somehow the distinction between “legal” and “illegal”immigrant keeps getting lost. Most Trump supporters don’t care about being immigrant or not, they care about being legally immigrant.

Most?

Have you got any statistics to back that up? It certainly doesn't appear that way

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Nice to know where we stand anyway.

In an interview with "CBS Evening News" anchor Jeff Glor in Scotland on Saturday, President Trump named the European Union -- comprising some of America's oldest allies -- when asked to identify his "biggest foe globally right now."
    "Well, I think we have a lot of foes. I think the European Union is a foe, what they do to us in trade. Now, you wouldn't think of the European Union, but they're a foe. Russia is foe in certain respects. China is a foe economically, certainly they are a foe. But that doesn't mean they are bad. It doesn't mean anything. It means that they are competitive," Mr. Trump said at his golf club in Turnberry, Scotland.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-trump-interview-cbs-news-european-union-is-a-foe-ahead-of-putin-meeting-in-helsinki-jeff-glor/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,920 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Anyone who says trump does not want to be a dictator should try defend him now

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1018534924016644098?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I thought that he might grow into the job as he started to understand it more over time, but he's actually getting worse. Which I didnt even think was possible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Correct me if I'm wrong but this isn't the first time he has called the press the "enemy of the people" either; does make you wonder how many times a duck has to quack before people stand and realise they, yes, elected a duck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

pixelburp wrote: »
    Correct me if I'm wrong but this isn't the first time he has called the press the "enemy of the people" either; does make you wonder how many times a duck has to quack before people stand and realise they, yes, elected a duck.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/17/business/trump-calls-the-news-media-the-enemy-of-the-people.html

He has said it several times, by media he means, the media who don't pander to him. Fox News and Info Wars are obviously media for the people by the people.

He has said it before, but after the latest indictments which prove the value in the Special Counsel's work which he was and is aware of and still says it, coupled with his admiration for KJU and of course in the context of him meeting Putin with no intention to make demands to hand over the hackers or even bring it up in any real sense, its clear as crystal.

He should be going over there demanding the extradition of the Russians mentioned in Mueller's indictment. Instead, he's too busy cosying up to his boss Putin and attacking his own news media. It's scary times in which we live.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭eire4

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    He should be going over there demanding the extradition of the Russians mentioned in Mueller's indictment. Instead, he's too busy cosying up to his boss Putin and attacking his own news media. It's scary times in which we live.

It is scary no question about it because like it or not but the US is the most powerful country on the planet and when it is being lead by an authoritarian demagogue who seemingly is in thrall to Russia the damage being done is world wide not just restricted to the US.

eire4 wrote: »
    It is scary no question about it because like it or not but the US is the most powerful country on the planet and when it is being lead by an authoritarian demagogue who seemingly is in thrall to Russia the damage being done is world wide not just restricted to the US.

Absolutely. In the last year, even in the last few weeks, the relationships between the US, EU and UK have been significantly weakened. Christ knows what sort of position we'll be in by the time Trump leaves office - and I fully expect him to get a second term too. It's working out perfectly for Putin. I'd say he can barely believe it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,804 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Getting to the root of the matter:

Is Trump just a complete fcuking moron or is he hopelessly compromised by Russia?

I'm inclined to the latter mixed with a little bit of the former.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

My own personal theory? Trump got access to credit via shady connections in Russia and elsewhere, helping him stay afloat after the 2008 crash. While possibly not knowingly in bed with Russia, I suspect this has left him vulnerable to manipulation from those around him who DO have closer ties to Putin & co., such as Manifort and the ilk. IE, I think Trump is just the wealthiest patsy going, and perhaps doesn't even know it.

Like I said, personal theory grounded in tattle and heresay, as well as repeated sources that suggest Trumps. .. "unconventional" access to finance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,618 ✭✭✭✭Water John

You have Gowdy, who I despise, saying Trump should demand from Putin the extradition of the 23 Russians involved in interference in US 2016 election.
    Unless Trump is strong on this election interference, he will be badly damaged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭listermint

My own personal theory? Trump got access to credit via shady connections in Russia and elsewhere, helping him stay afloat after the 2008 crash. While possibly not knowingly in bed with Russia, I suspect this has left him vulnerable to manipulation from those around him who DO have closer ties to Putin & co., such as Manifort and the ilk. IE, I think Trump is just the wealthiest patsy going, and perhaps doesn't even know it.

Like I said, personal theory grounded in tattle and heresay, as well as repeated sources that suggest Trumps. .. "unconventional" access to finance.

Patsy.. it doesn't really explain is constant pro Russian stance and constant as avoidance of saying anything bad about Russia or instill sanctions.

I think he is fully aware of what and who he owes and is no patsy.

Dance with the devil and all that.

listermint wrote: »
    Patsy.. it doesn't really explain is constant pro Russian stance and constant as avoidance of saying anything bad about Russia or instill sanctions.

I think he is fully aware of what and who he owes and is no patsy.

Dance with the devil and all that.

I don't think you're wrong, but equally Trump has such an obvious grá for political strongmen, and regimes that resemble the power structure of Trump Org, I'd almost just dismiss his inability to condemn Russia as merely part of that hopeless infatuation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

http://www.latimes.com/politics/la-pol-ca-trump-hats-cali-fame-carson-20151124-story.html

About 80% of the company's workforce is Latino, Kennedy estimates. He says that every worker has his or her immigration status verified.

Somehow the distinction between “legal” and “illegal”immigrant keeps getting lost. Most Trump supporters don’t care about being immigrant or not, they care about being legally immigrant.

The man called for a Muslim ban and then you pretend anyone is thick enough to think he only has a problem with illegal immigrants. You have been here long enough to know it has been discussed already.

Did you just forget or think that nobody will notice as you parrot the party line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Water John wrote: »
    You have Gowdy, who I despise, saying Trump should demand from Putin the extradition of the 23 Russians involved in interference in US 2016 election.
    Unless Trump is strong on this election interference, he will be badly damaged.
    Unlikely,. He's getting credit, and calls for a nobel prize, for having done nothing with North Korea. The trumpists are happy that the libs are triggered, the religious fundamentalists can smell the overturn of Roe and Obergerfeld and the millionaires are happy with their tax cuts. I'd say he's looking good for a second term.
    They all agree that Russia is a ruse if it suits their agendas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Is Trump just a complete fcuking moron or is he hopelessly compromised by Russia?

Don't think Trump is himself. Wouldn't be surprised if Manafort and company are. Don't think Manafort necessarily has the information to flip on others. That's why he stuck in two legal cases.

With regards Putin, Trump has had a degree of "appreciation" about him, including going back quite a few years. There also the aspect of him seemingly wanting to do the opposite of what get a few of his advisers want. Almost doubling down.

The pipeline mentioned during the summit would also be something the Russians and quite a few European countries would prefer was kept rarely discussed. Not necessarily in Putin's interest for it to be widely mentioned.

Everything in the Steele dossier is true.

Putin played his ego like a fiddle which lead to compromising material.

Peetapes are real.

I also think there is worse.

Trump, when faced with adversity, does what he does. Double down, bluster and threaten.

Except that strategy doesn't work on the world stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,618 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The doubling down on the EU is simply on the prompting of his friend, Farage.
    Really has shown his limit and what a fraud he is on this trip, and not finished yet.
    Lines mainly being fed clearly for his base back home. Not a leader of a country. Hasn't the capacity.

• Advertisement

Well the last week has been an absolute sh*t show. Hopefully he finds some mental capacity for the Putin meeting, the thoughts of him meeting one-on-one with Putin (a former KGB agent) is pretty unsettling. Christ knows what he'll tell him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Well the last week has been an absolute sh*t show. Hopefully he finds some mental capacity for the Putin meeting, the thoughts of him meeting one-on-one with Putin (a former KGB agent) is pretty unsettling. Christ knows what he'll tell him.

It really must be very frustrating for the US intelligence community.
    I mean can you imagine, your entire career is dedicated to protecting the nation, keeping secrets, ensuring things are safe and then along comes president blabbermouth, cozying up with enemies of the US and verbally attacking friendly countries and allies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

From a while ago in case anyone hasn't seen it.

Yeah, John's great, from awhile ago too.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Yep, he did a bit on his show where he took full responsibility for all that has happened since. Though I think we know Obama had more to do with it (not to mention good old fashioned racism)

John Oliver is excellent though, I'd highly recommend him. Very funny and informative, his ads he puts on fox for Trump are normally good value too.

His ability to get through a large amount of information and break it down easily for the general public is an often overlooked talent.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

You'll find more than that if ya keep looking.
    Is this another attempt at the whole "underdog" narrative? Just a lowly heir to a fortune gifted millions by his father, victim of bankruptcy several times, made less than he would have on an index stock investment managed to rise to a privileged position.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

From a while ago in case anyone hasn't seen it.

Not actually a counter to the point being made about Donald Trump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

So in Trump-land the European Union is "foe" because they retaliated tariffs against the US? Like he expects that he can place tariffs against the EU and the EU is just going to shrug?

I know it's a losing game, but I'm genuinely stumped at what his thought process is here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

There's a pretty good 4-part documentary on Trump on Netflix at the moment. He has always been shady, sold himself as some kind of epic business man, lied and exaggerated; however he never seemed like an absolute moron when he was younger.

I'm not suggesting he can't have gone off the rails, but after seeing that documentary I felt increasingly like it's dangerous to believe that he's an idiot - he's incredibly dangerous and knows exactly what he's doing is my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,697 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

So in Trump-land the European Union is "foe" because they retaliated tariffs against the US? Like he expects that he can place tariffs against the EU and the EU is just going to shrug?

I know it's a losing game, but I'm genuinely stumped at what his thought process is here.

My reading of it is that is not about the tariffs, the retaliation is simply part of a trade war which even says are easy to win.

It is more that the EU has been trading with a surplus with the US for years and won't allow there products (like GM crops and chlorinated chicken) into the EU.

He deems that unfair and as such they are a foe.

With statements like this we need to remember that Trump is not playing 3d chess, this is not an all emcompasing review of the relationship. He is strictly speaking in trade terms. It is not about NATO, or security, or anything. It is based on the notion that business is a competition, win-lose scenario. Either he gets to build the hotel or he doesn't. Therefore the country council (or whatever) putting up objections are planning laws is the foe. The Scottish person that won't sell their house near the gold course is the foe.

Once he gets what he wants they will be the best of friends.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,697 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

There's a pretty good 4-part documentary on Trump on Netflix at the moment. He has always been shady, sold himself as some kind of epic business man, lied and exaggerated; however he never seemed like an absolute moron when he was younger.

I'm not suggesting he can't have gone off the rails, but after seeing that documentary I felt increasingly like it's dangerous to believe that he's an idiot - he's incredibly dangerous and knows exactly what he's doing is my view.

It is easier for people to believe that he is an idiot because otherwise we have to face the reality that we have such a dangerous person in such a powerful position and they did it deliberately.

It is the same, imo, on why his supporters are classed are ignorant etc. Because to many it makes no sense why any person would support this person. To accept that nearly half the country is willing to make such a choice out of 'choice' rather than ignorance etc means that we really as similar as we like to think.

The real threat is not really the bad men living in a desert somewhere, but the men and women that live in our neighbourhoods and go to our shopping malls. Because they will have a much larger impact on out lives than the unlikely occurrence of being involved in a terrorist event.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement