Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Not a bit like trump has been acting. It would all be under the cover.

Fair enough. A Gerhardt Schroeder type, is what you're suggesting. They would act a lot more subtly. A Trump though, would be a lot more overt in his lickarsery.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

They don’t protest the unlawful deaths much because when they are found to be unlawful the legal system takes over and the cop is tried. Why would they protest over the system when it works? If there are found to be cover-ups, those at fault tend to be tried as well. For bad policing, they tend to use the court civil law system. You don’t see many protests, for example, from gun owners about the harassment of lawful firearms owners by California law enforcement, but there are a whole lot of cases in both the state and federal systems about it. A court order from a judge tends to be more effective than shouting and holding signs. It works on the other side too. That contempt of court order that Arapaio was convicted of? It came about from a civil lawsuit, not protests. This is not to say there there is no place for protests, especially when referring to a potential policy, but there are often other courses which others may prefer.

The pardons of the Hammonds rests on a belief of a misapplication of statute and Arapaio as a reflection of his years of service. They remain convicted. Both are fairly uncontroversial reasons for the use of a pardon, even if you disagree with their application in those particular cases. All up front and legal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Given everything that's come out about Trump, the 'pissgate' tape, if it actually exists, wouldn't exactly be as huge a scandal as it would have a year ago. I reckon it might cost him 5-10% in the polls at worst.
    His sycophancy toward Putin is now so extreme that I'm beginning to wonder if something even worse exists like underage girls or a murder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

sabat wrote: »
    Given everything that's come out about Trump, the 'pissgate' tape, if it actually exists, wouldn't exactly be as huge a scandal as it would have a year ago. I reckon it might cost him 5-10% in the polls at worst.
    His sycophancy toward Putin is now so extreme that I'm beginning to wonder if something even worse exists like underage girls or a murder.

So he could be a murderer who pisses on prostitutes and has sex with little girls? The hyperbolic rhetoric about him is off the charts on this thread.

He's not a good President, there is plenty of legitimately bad stuff out there about him. But people are conflating reality with fantasy all too easy at this stage. And that takes away from a narrative about him that is actually the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

What he said today was dumb, but it wasn't treasonous at all. People are losing their minds about him at this stage.

It was several levels beyond "dumb". He has gone from benign incompetence to willful neglect of his duty as POTUS. His open support of Putin, in the face of direct contradictory evidence from his own security services should leave you in no doubt as to where that mans loyalties really lie.

And it is not with the US people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,814 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Why does this sound like a right wing radio broadcast from 1950 if a president met a soviet leader?

It's not quite as simple as a president meeting a soviet leader in the 50's. it's the present Republican [not Democrat] US President meeting the present Russian President and making a public statement at the following news conference that he has more trust in the Russian President's evaluation of the interference by the Russian Govt in the US presidential election as against the US intelligence evaluation of the same. President Putin made it clear at the same news conference that he was speaking as a former KGB officer when stating that the Russian Govt did not interfere in the US election.

It's kind of peculiar that it's a Republican defending Russian interference in US national presidential elections against both senior Democrat and Republican party politicians attack on the honesty of a Russian leader who has made it clear his evaluation is that of a former KGB officer, or would you disagree?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

[....] And that takes away from a narrative about him that is actually the truth.

:)

To be fair, if it came out that he secretly ripped the heads of puppies and drank their still warm blood, it would still have no impact on "..a narrative about him that is actually the truth"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Whether it was treasonous or just plain stupidity or inexperience of playing with the big boys. Putin has played him for a fool today.

As I said from the day of his election, the biggest threat to US National Security is their president Donald Trump!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

aloyisious wrote: »
    It's not quite as simple as a president meeting a soviet leader in the 50's. it's the present Republican [not Democrat] US President meeting the present Russian President and making a public statement at the following news conference that he has more trust in the Russian President's evaluation of the interference by the Russian Govt in the US presidential election as against the US intelligence evaluation of the same. President Putin made it clear at the same news conference that he was speaking as a former KGB officer when stating that the Russian Govt did not interfere in the US election.

There no evidence Russia did intervene in the election to help Trump. It insane that people think it's a bad thing Trump is trying to smooth ties with Russia. Why would Trump trust a democrat investigation into his election win? Is he supposed to jump up and down and welcome it? If there was evidence for collusion it would not take this long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

There no evidence Russia did intervene in the election to help Trump. It insane that people think it's a bad thing Trump is trying to smooth ties with Russia. Why would Trump trust a democrat investigation into his election win? Is he supposed to jump up and down and welcome it? If there was evidence for collusion it would not take this long.

What world are you living in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yeah

Ok

Except all the evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,919 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

So he could be a murderer who pisses on prostitutes and has sex with little girls? The hyperbolic rhetoric about him is off the charts on this thread.

He's not a good President, there is plenty of legitimately bad stuff out there about him. But people are conflating reality with fantasy all too easy at this stage. And that takes away from a narrative about him that is actually the truth.

Spare me the faux outrage.

If i were to tell you 4 months ago that he would be stood next to Putin, after meeting him with no note takers, golfing rather than preparing for it, and then live on TV throwing his own intelligence under the bus - you'd have told me i was mental.

The steele dossier has not been proven wrong.

The guy fancies his own daughter and has sex with prostitutes.

Its cringe worthy that anyone could say - "hey, lets give him the benefit of the doubt" when it comes to anything at this stage

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Ah, the talking points have finally been circulated.

listermint wrote: »
    Yeah

Ok

Except all the evidence.

Trump knows full well the intelligence community doesn't speak with one voice. He knows a lot of people in this community are looking for a confrontation.

Don't make me laugh there is no evidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,636 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I fear for his health. Something not right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

1. Yes, there is evidence to suggest the Russians did it to help trump.
    2. Having smooth ties with Russia is one thing, but trump comes across as a doormat for the Russian leader.
    3. It's not a democrat investigation. Robert mueller is a registered republican as is Rod Rosenstein the deputy AG of the United States I should add.
    4. No president should welcome an investigation, but for someone claiming that there is nothing to see he sure is making look like there is something there.
    5. It's a special counsel investigation, not a GAA player apealing a match ban. Watergate and the Kenneth Starr investigations took several years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,616 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If Gingrich is condemning it, whao.

What world are you living in?

I wonder sometimes about that! Anyone with a brain can see whats up here. This is the American establishment upset that Trump is trying to ease tensions with Russia and they still have got over their hilary lost the election.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Its a very dangerous situation. What Trump did today should be seen as treasonous, but watch the Repugnants once again turn a blind eye to it. The USA is heading down a very dangerous path at the moment.

Why does this sound like a right wing radio broadcast from 1950 if a president met a soviet leader?
    Meeting a soviet leader would be fine. As would meeting Putin if it was handled competently.

Here we have a president believing the word of a Russian president known for underhanded tactics above his own intelligence services, his own government, his own party and his allies intelligence services.

Let's not forget he stated that "his people", whoever they are, would have absolute proof that there was no Russian involvement in the election within 6 weeks I think it was. That was well over a year ago and not a word of this supposed proof. Why did he make a statement about the actions of a foreign nation with no evidence to back it up and all intelligence going the other direction?

Either through malice or incompetency he is a threat to national security. It could well be incompetency, he has done badly in face to faces, see backtracking on criticism of May as soon as he came face to face with her, but the end result is the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Water John wrote: »
    If Gingrich is condemning it, whao.

What ? Trump may have over estimated his ability to do and say anything. Does the good speaker of the house still have pull within the GOP ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,636 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Disrespecting your own country while on foreign soil. That's unheard of, expecially by a US president surely.

Putin has him by the balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

There no evidence Russia did intervene in the election to help Trump.

Yes there is. Lots of it.
    It insane that people think it's a bad thing Trump is trying to smooth ties with Russia.

Smoothing ties is one thing you could call it. Willfully advancing another counties agenda above your own is another. What exactly do America gain from this? Why would you lie down to a country that has been complicit in Syria, invaded a sovereign state, meddled in your internal affairs. Trump is president of America, he is beholden to advancing the cause of AMERICA. Please explain how he is achieving this. Smooth ties for WHAT?
    Why would Trump trust a democrat investigation into his election win?

It's not a democrat investigation. It's the law, the actual law. Sure, Trump people are trying to knock it by claiming it's partisan but if you can't abide by the law, then what have you? Are you saying that republicans can only have republican police, republican judges etc?
    Is he supposed to jump up and down and welcome it?

No, but he must respect the rule of law in his own country, surely?
    If there was evidence for collusion it would not take this long.

It's not into collusion. it's into Russian interference in the election AND whether there were any ties. The investigation can be a huge success without linking anything to Trump.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    1. Yes, there is evidence to suggest the Russians did it to help trump.
    2. Having smooth ties with Russia is one thing, but trump comes across as a doormat for the Russian leader.
    3. It's not a democrat investigation. Robert mueller is a registered republican as is Rod Rosenstein the deputy AG of the United States I should add.
    4. No president should welcome an investigation, but for someone claiming that there is nothing to see he sure is making look like there is something there.
    5. It's a special counsel investigation, not a GAA player apealing a match ban. Watergate and the Kenneth Starr investigations took several years.

Robert Mueller is an establishment guy he not neutral his a deep state politician.

Trump is putting up with this for two years now its a joke.

There no evidence Putin rigged the elections machines or rigged the debates or rigged votes. So collusion thing is nonsense. Voters who voted Trump saw a chance to boot out the establishment and they took the opportunity on election day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Trump knows full well the intelligence community doesn't speak with one voice. He knows a lot of people in this community are looking for a confrontation.

Don't make me laugh there is no evidence.

Nearly all of the intelligence communities around the World including ALL of the ones in America say Russia tried to swing the election for Trump. What bubble are you living in?

I wonder sometimes about that! Anyone with a brain can see whats up here. This is the American establishment upset that Trump is trying to ease tensions with Russia and they still have got over their hilary lost the election.

What establishment.

If it was Wednesday you'd be saying the republicans are establishment and on Thursday you'd be saying they are tearing down the rule book.

Absolutely contrary.

For the sake of it , no less

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,919 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Robert Mueller is an establishment guy he not neutral his a deep state politician.

There no evidence Putin rigged the elections machines or rigged the debates or rigged votes. So collusion thing is nonsense. Voters who voted Trump saw a chance to boot out the establishment and they took the opportunity on election day.

Everybody's fault bar Trump.

The mental gymnastics are incredible. Kudos

Republican party held the house and the senate.

What are you even on about

FrostyJack wrote: »
    Nearly all of the intelligence communities around the World including ALL of the ones in America say Russia tried to swing the election for Trump. What bubble are you living in?

Are you really that naive and don't know how the world works? We live in a world order of us in the west and Russia and China and whoever else who opposes that world order. Most of this stuff is made up to push agendas and keep the arms industry in business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

everlast75 wrote: »
    Spare me the faux outrage.

If i were to tell you 4 months ago that he would be stood next to Putin, after meeting him with no note takers, golfing rather than preparing for it, and then live on TV throwing his own intelligence under the bus - you'd have told me i was mental.

The steele dossier has not been proven wrong.

The guy fancies his own daughter and has sex with prostitutes.

Its cringe worthy that anyone could say - "hey, lets give him the benefit of the doubt" when it comes to anything at this stage

I have an open mind about all of this. I think the outrage towards Trump is partially misguided. Conflating hearsay and fantasy with facts to target him seems like a silly way to attack someone.

I think he is a bad President, and wouldn't at all be surprised if he had a 'mysterious death' at this stage. The American Security Forces run America to a very large degree at this stage and he is an idiot to so openly put them down.
    To me, most evidence points to Trump not being very good at playing the Presidential 'game', which to me proves he is incompetent more than malicious in his dealings.

I'd much rather people were talking about how someone this bad became President in the first place, and try to think of ways of solving the underlying problems. This thread has nearly 30,000 posts, I've been a member of Boards for a good number of years and this is the most hysterical thread I've come across.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Check the post history; Cheerful Spring is not a Trump fan but he/she is probably Putin's No. 1 fan on boards.

I made a couple of jokes one time about the silly shirtless horseriding pictures Putin likes to make and Cheerful Spring was not amused

As to Trump, he is so far beyond parody at this point it's mindblowing, but you'll still find solid republican voters who'll openly tut-tut at what he does but who will solidly keep on voting republican because 'my taxes are so high!'

They'll think of themselves as good Americans while still voting for the party that has sold control of their country to whoever was willing to pay enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement