Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,077 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Told by who?
    That's the question.
    prawnsambo wrote: »
    That's hilarious. Are you seriously callng the Democrats a left wing party?
    They're just a slightly less right wing party than the GOP. There is no 'left' in US politics. Yet.
    Sanders ran under the democrat ticket.
    IN terms of the two parties, the democrats are left and the republicans are right.
    Compared to this country and EU in general, both would be considered right of center

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,470 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

robinph wrote: »
    Wouldn't give him any credit for that as it's just a twist of fate that a bunch of judges happen to retire or die during his term. Trump hasn’t done anything to make it happen, at least I hope not.

It's not an achievement to fill some job vacancies.
    Tell that to Obama who couldn't get Garland appointed.

Although I would put the credit for the SC appointments with the GOP rather than trump himself. Trump may sign the nominations, but the republican party made them happen (presuming Kavanagh does actually get through the process)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,470 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

ELM327 wrote: »
    That's the question.

Sanders ran under the democrat ticket.
    IN terms of the two parties, the democrats are left and the republicans are right.
    Compared to this country and EU in general, both would be considered right of center
    The democrats would be more right wing than the Tories on most issues.

Akrasia wrote: »
    That supports exactly what I said... although I don't know why we are using UK examples. And anyway I could care less about the democrats and their policies. The last good thing they had was Clinton, Bill of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Akrasia wrote: »
    This. It's entirely laughable to call them left wing. But. The actions of the GOP and Trump may have the effect of pushing them further to the left than they have ever been in their history.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,005 ✭✭✭circadian

everlast75 wrote: »
    Montenegro is part of NATO, voted in overwhelmingly.

You might recall at the last NATO meeting, the Pres of Montenegro was the one Trump pushed out of the way and then stuck or his chest.

Montenegro is currently in Afghanistan aiding US efforts after 9/11.

You can bet Montenegro was discussed at the meeting.

You can bet Montenegro is and has been a target for Putin for some time.

You can guess that Trump has a problem with that country, not only because Putin told him to, but probably because it has the word Negro in it.

What would Putin's beef with Montenegro be though? They peacefully seceeded from Serbia about a decade ago, I can't see any other reason unless it's a geographical strategy?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,696 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What have I failed to answer?
    This is a common line wheeled out when there are multitudes of posters on one side and only one or two on the other. It's impossible to reply to everything when every one reply sent gets at least 3-5 posts back

You quoted my question in the reply and then told me you couldn't possibly deal with all the questions!

Who told him to change his mind? On what basis was he under the belief that they didn't meddle, since he was told that they did?

Patian Obvious also asked you and you replied "that's the question"

So you don't know. So you don't know who, when, where, why, what or how.

But you are are sure it happened and it makes sense to you!

Do you even consider the possibility that your opinion is wrong? And if so, what other alternative are there?

We have now POTUS declaring that he absolutely believes it and in fact brought it up with Putin in the secret meeting (which of course no one can verify!). Yet when asked the question by the reporter by failed to say that. Looking back at his previous, are we really supposed to think that had Trump taken Putin to task on this he wouldn't have told everyone? ANd why then think that getting the Russians to help the investigation was a great idea? The US have pretty much all the facts they need at this point. All they really need is the 12 to be handed over.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    You quoted my question in the reply and then told me you couldn't possibly deal with all the questions!

Who told him to change his mind? On what basis was he under the belief that they didn't meddle, since he was told that they did?

Patian Obvious also asked you and you replied "that's the question"

So you don't know. So you don't know who, when, where, why, what or how.

But you are are sure it happened and it makes sense to you!

Does anyone know?
    Does anyone believe that it was an honest mis spoken word?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,696 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Does anyone know?
    Does anyone believe that it was an honest mis spoken word?

No. Even you don't believe that..

But you are the one defending him and telling us that someone told him to say that would meant wouldn't.

So you have all the details we do know. And you decided that that didn't fit so you made up another alternative but have absolutely nothing to back it up.

Maybe he is an alien. Maybe its actually HC in disguise. Maybe it's Putin, or Jesus. You are very determined to make up a theory to try to defend it when even the man himself has not tried it.

The only conclusion, based on the facts we know, is that Trump doesn't believe it, didn't bring it up with Putin and is only trying to backtrack because of the backlash he got (and mainly from the likes of Fox News as he would have dismissed CNN etc).

But even in the backtrack he couldn't help himself to throw it in that it could be anybody (again Coates has said it was Russia, not mentioned anyone else), that that line shows that he doesn't believe they are totally right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

jooksavage wrote: »
    Appeals court has ruled against Trumps ban on transgender people in the military. Just a hopeful reminder that the system is, for now at least, robust enough to survive Trump.

Many people are worried about the legacy he will leave on the Supreme Court by stacking it far right. But it's worth pointing out that the number of judges on the SC is set by legislation and it's already considered to be very understaffed, having only increased it's numbers by three in over 200 years. If the dems were in power it could be unstacked very easily.

That's the question.

Yes, it is the question I asked you.

circadian wrote: »
    What would Putin's beef with Montenegro be though? They peacefully seceeded from Serbia about a decade ago, I can't see any other reason unless it's a geographical strategy?

A port in the Adriatic/Mediterranean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,811 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Re the "NO" answer Don gave to the question, and SHS's straightening out what he meant to the media, can posters use SHS, not Sanders, when referring to her please. I hadn't heard the two news item videos and thought it was Bernie Sanders doing the explaining to the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Unprecedented as it would be, there needs to be a full disclosure of what was discussed in that private meeting with Putin. I would think it extremely likely that Putin was recording every word. If Trump (or the translator) doesn't provide a blow-by-blow account of what was discussed, it's just more kompromat to hold over him.

The very notion that Putin suggested Trump serve up McFaul (a former ambassador, no less) and Browder (who's not even a US citizen) and wasn't immediately told to f*** off is just outrageous. SHS didn't even rule it out at yesterday's press briefing. Trump is failing his country. If a private citizen conducted themselves in this fashion with Russia, they'd find themselves hauled into an FBI interrogation room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

I heard Browder himself speak on Slates podcast yesterday. He's always worth a listen. Im halfway through his book Red Notice for the last 6 months - its not a reflection upon his writing: I'm just a terrible reader! Yesterday he was discussing some of the countries he would feel safe traveling to. He was arrested on a Russian Interpol warrant in Spain last month but released within 2 hours. Says he would feel safe travelling to most countries in Europe except those with Russian borders as its not unheard of for Russia to stage kidnappings in places like Estonia. Also said he'd be reluctant to visit Italy for fear of their new Putin-friendly leadership.

I have to wonder how safe he'd feel visiting the US these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

circadian wrote: »
    Montenegro is part of NATO, voted in overwhelmingly.

You might recall at the last NATO meeting,  the Pres of Montenegro was the one Trump pushed out of the way and then stuck or his chest.

Montenegro is currently in Afghanistan aiding US efforts after 9/11.

You can bet Montenegro was discussed at the meeting.

You can bet Montenegro is and has been a target for Putin for some time.

You can guess that Trump has a problem with that country, not only because Putin told him to, but probably because it has the word Negro in it.

Montenergo have a vast supply of natural resources, already Russian companies are in there exploring

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Would someone here know?

I'd have presumed (obviously wrongly) that a meeting such as Trump-Putin would've been officially recorded. The recordings not being for public perusal but for guidance to the civil services as to what is being committed to by the leaders of their countries.

I recall a story recently about WH staff whose job it was was to collect up all paper notes written by the president and log and file them. The reason it was in the news was because of the trouble they had with Trump as he had a habit of ripping up his notes.

Is it not required that notes or recordings or even simply a 2nd person as witness (excluding interpreters) to be there when going into such a high profile and important meeting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,919 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

humberklog wrote: »
    Would someone here know?

I'd have presumed (obviously wrongly) that a meeting such as Trump-Putin would've been officially recorded. The recordings not being for public perusal but for guidance to the civil services as to what is being committed to by the leaders of their countries.

I recall a story recently about WH staff whose job it was was to collect up all paper notes written by the president and log and file them. The reason it was in the news was because of the trouble they had with Trump as he had a habit of ripping up his notes.

Is it not required that notes or recordings or even simply a 2nd person as witness (excluding interpreters) to be there when going into such a high profile and important meeting?

The problem with Trump is that there were standard practices before he came along, release of tax records etc. When he landed, not only did he break those practices, he broke a shed load of rules too.

So, to answer your question (as best I can), it doesn't matter if it was a practice or a rule that records were to be kept. Trump doesn't give two *****.

What congress should do, is compel the interpreter to attend before them to explain what was said.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

humberklog wrote: »
    Would someone here know?

Typically yes , but looks like that behaviour has fallen out of favour under Trump.

There have been a series of interviews in the last week or so from a former White House Stenographer that had worked there for the last 7/8 years who recently left.

Basically her input was that historically , a stenographer was a permanent fixture in all meetings documenting everything , but that under Trump they have been excluded more and more and that he was having increasing numbers of "off the record" undocumented meetings.

Article here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

robinph wrote: »
    Wouldn't give him any credit for that as it's just a twist of fate that a bunch of judges happen to retire or die during his term. Trump hasn’t done anything to make it happen, at least I hope not.

It's not an achievement to fill some job vacancies.

You know what your right in many ways, and it is in fact Mitch mconnels achievement even more than the president but it is just the way of things, the sitting president will get the credit for that.

His picks are very appealing to the conservatives and that is a win for him and his administration. An undeniable one. In the long game they will help create favourable legislation for them and that is important.

I don't like Mitch Mconnell or how he essentially stole a pick but he has done a great job for his team you do have to acknowledge that.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,612 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Basically Trump was interrogated, without anyone except an interpreter present, by a trained former KGB officer.
    American Intelligence services and those of any other country cooperating with them, must be s***less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Water John wrote: »
    Basically Trump was interrogated, without anyone except an interpreter present, by a trained former KGB officer.
    American Intelligence services and those of any other country cooperating with them, must be s***less.
    One thing that's been notably absent in the last 12 months is any more instances of Trump blurting out privileged information about US security or their Allies' security.

This isn't because he's gotten better at keeping schtum, it's because agencies and politicians have become more tight-lipped around him.

I expect the US intelligence agencies have found themselves left in the dark by other countries' agencies more frequently now than ever before.

The problem for the US as a country is the massive divide between the government and their security forces. And this only grows by the day with Trump in charge. If he was to continue throwing them under the bus and/or compromising himself, you have this rare and terrifying circumstance where the security forces have to consider him completely compromised and orchestrate his replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

I would not be surprised if plans are afoot to oust him by those intelligency agencies, even if he didnt imagine what we could have told Putin in that one on one meeting, and that would be too much for those agencies to take as they will continue long after Trump is gone.

He is literally a threat to their national security and I am sure there is a plan in place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,717 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

kilns wrote:
    He is literally a threat to their national security and I am sure there is a plan in place

Of course there's a plan in place, from multiple agencies and groups, but that's probably the same for most if not all presidents.

What seems to be suggested here is some sort of a coup.

That's not necessary.

The Legislature have it within their power to hold his feet to the fire.

Mueller has immense resources which will no doubt yield results.

We have Manafort and Cohen as real liabilities.

There are legal and procedural avenues open. All we need is for those that can take legal and appropriate action, do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There are legal and procedural avenues open. All we need is for those that can take legal and appropriate action, do so.
    Yeah, we'll see.

I have zero faith in the much talked about "checks and balances" of the US system. If they worked, Trump would be gone already. It seems they exist but can be arbitrarily ignored or voted down when a party has sufficient votes. Which means they're worthless.

seamus wrote: »
    Yeah, we'll see.

I have zero faith in the much talked about "checks and balances" of the US system. If they worked, Trump would be gone already. It seems they exist but can be arbitrarily ignored or voted down when a party has sufficient votes. Which means they're worthless.

I strongly suspect that some senior republicans are compromised by virtue of their funding, through the NRA. That's just a suspicion at the moment, lest someone jump down my neck for being a conspiracy theorist.

People did not see a turning point coming with Nixon either, until it just happened.

But I do agree - the press in the WH and the republicans are very slow to act, but there are small but significant signs of it happening now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

jooksavage wrote: »
    Unprecedented as it would be, there needs to be a full disclosure of what was discussed in that private meeting with Putin. I would think it extremely likely that Putin was recording every word. If Trump (or the translator) doesn't provide a blow-by-blow account of what was discussed, it's just more kompromat to hold over him.

The very notion that Putin suggested Trump serve up McFaul (a former ambassador, no less) and Browder (who's not even a US citizen) and wasn't immediately told to f*** off is just outrageous. SHS didn't even rule it out at yesterday's press briefing. Trump is failing his country. If a private citizen conducted themselves in this fashion with Russia, they'd find themselves hauled into an FBI interrogation room.

The fact that the americans even have to worry about what the president said to his counterpart for fear of giving away privaledge secrets either intentionally our unintentionally should point to him being unsuitable for the job.if it's that risky he should be removed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,612 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Absolutely amazing that this Russian redhead is swanning around in NRA and GOP circles and it occurs to nobody to go, WTF?
    A spy hiding in plain sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭amandstu

Water John wrote: »
    Absolutely amazing that this Russian redhead is swanning around in NRA and GOP circles and it occurs to nobody to go, WTF?
    A spy hiding in plain sight.

Who is "nobody"? Fellow members? **If I was one it would not necessarily occur to me to be suspicious.

The intelligence services need feedback from the public and if she did not rouse suspicions in her immediate circle it is going to be harder to ferret her out.

**even in the GOP though what her "business" there was I don't actually know.

here is an interesting article.

Weeks before his inauguration, Trump was shown a lot of classified information regarding Putin's interference and the sources.

Within 9 months, 9 prominent dissidents were dead.

https://edition.cnn.com/2017/03/24/europe/dead-russians/index.html

• Advertisement

What I find amazing is the way the Trump supporters' view on collusion evolves.

1) There was no collusion
    2) Anyway, even if there was - collusion is not a crime
    3) Okay - if there was collusion, Trump knew nothing about it
    4) Okay, he may have known about it, but didn't believe it
    5) Anyway - every Country interferes in other Country's elections
    6) Okay, there was collusion, and he knew about it, but it did not materially affect the results
    7) If they collude to help our guy win, then is that such a bad thing?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement