Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So shock horror that the President has decided to weight into on the Federal Reserve(which is meant to be outside of political influence) and the stock market and the Dollar fell and the white house have had to clean up his mess.

This'll make the loony anti-tax crowd that started the Teabaggers happy. I can imagine Ron Paul clicking his loony heels together. Next up: "We need an audit of the Fed by Congress!"

Making American 1929 again - tear down the Fed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Trump is to extend an invitation to the Russian president Vladimir Putin to visit the White House in the autumn. I mean trump went to meet his boss in Finland so why not have the boss come see where you live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭badtoro

Taytoland wrote: »
    The CIA, NSA etc, are full of liars and deceivers. To this day I am still waiting for those WMD's to turn up but somehow I doubt very much it is going to happen. It amazes me that anyone believes anything they say. And they have also for years interfered in other countries elections, tried to overthrow other countries regimes. They haven't got a leg to stand on. So when people say Russia interfered in the US election, my response is great, well done to them.

On the WMD issue, I had the misfortune to listen to a Trump supporter during the week talk about this. I don't see it as this black & white thing that the intelligence services lied. There is a blend of inputs from raw data to human intelligence to analysis to political bias.

I believe that the then president George W Bush wanted revenge on Saddam for his plan to assassinate President George George HW Bush. If one takes that view then it can be said that political,or personal, bias leaned heavily towards a particular view that Saddam needed to be got rid of and how can information be cherry picked to build a narrative to war. They would have been better off coming out and saying Saddam is a colossal bag of **** the world would be better off without, not sure too many would have disagreed.

As to political interference in other nations affairs, there's no denying of that. However, this is where one must chose sides in the real world. To my mind, as dysfunctional as the USA has recently become it is still preferable to Authoritarian and aggressive Russia or Communist expansionist China.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Trump is to extend an invitation to the Russian president Vladimir Putin to visit the White House in the autumn. I mean trump went to meet his boss in Finland so why not have the boss come see where you live.

Malcolm Tucker would beat him to death with a dildo for even just suggesting that. Just before an election? There's no way that this will go well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 145 ✭✭lurker2000

Trumpty Dumpty sat on the wall. Trumpty Dumpty had a great fall. All his supporters and all his 'yes' men, couldn't rehabilitate his reputation again.

• Advertisement

The DNI director Dan Coates is angling to get fired by taking the proper line on Russia.

Also, just listening to MSNBC and it's seems the same guy was caught off guard by the breaking news of Trump inviting Putin to the White House. He said to the reporter Andrea Mitchell "say that again ?" This is the director of national intelligence lads, not some coffee boy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The DNI director Dan Coates is angling to get fired by taking the proper line on Russia.

Also, just listening to MSNBC and it's seems the same guy was caught off guard by the breaking news of Trump inviting Putin to the White House. He said to the reporter Andrea Mitchell "say that again ?" This is the director of national intelligence lads, not some coffee boy.

have you got video?

have you got video?
    No I'm listening to MSNBC. They are playing clips of his interview. I don't know if they are showing video on MSNBC with this clips I'm listening to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

The was the most respectful "FFS" I've seen in a long time. The DNI also said that he still does not fully know what Trump said to Putin during their meeting. That's madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

No I'm listening to MSNBC. They are playing clips of his interview. I don't know if they are showing video on MSNBC with this clips I'm listening to.

No bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,801 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

This President doesn't do optics.

Leave himself vulnerable to the charge that "the boss is coming over".

MAGA guys, come on, what will it take before you realise how unbelievably stupid this man is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭VonZan

badtoro wrote: »
    On the WMD issue, I had the misfortune to listen to a Trump supporter during the week talk about this. I don't see it as this black & white thing that the intelligence services lied. There is a blend of inputs from raw data to human intelligence to analysis to political bias.

I believe that the then president George W Bush wanted revenge on Saddam for his plan to assassinate President George George HW Bush. If one takes that view then it can be said that political,or personal, bias leaned heavily towards a particular view that Saddam needed to be got rid of and how can information be cherry picked to build a narrative to war. They would have been better off coming out and saying Saddam is a colossal bag of **** the world would be better off without, not sure too many would have disagreed.

As to political interference in other nations affairs, there's no denying of that. However, this is where one must chose sides in the real world. To my mind, as dysfunctional as the USA has recently become it is still preferable to Authoritarian and aggressive Russia or Communist expansionist China.

That just simply isn't true. It is very much a black and white issue because they lied about their existence so they could justify going to war. Not only are the politicians and heads of national security in both countries complicit in the fabrication but also newspapers such as NYT which published a complete fabrication of a story by Judith Miller which helped convince the US public about the existence of WMD in Iraq.

I can only cordially advise that it was the Trump supporter who had the unfortunate experience of having to listen to such denial over the actions and justification for the war in Iraq. You cannot lie and make a justification for it.

MAGA guys, come on, what will it take before you realise how unbelievably stupid this man is?

This is the weird thing. I'm old enough now that I think I can tell an idiot from a smart person. I can tell when someone is lying if they keep changing their story in the same way that a dad knows when their kids are lying. If they are saying things that are veritably untrue, then I would think that they are either a serial liar or delusional. And I'm not a politician or a diplomat - I'm just some guy.

But the excuses from his supporters really take some amount of mental gymnastics. In the US, there are a lot of what can only be described as "low-information voters". Over here there's no excuse to be in that boat. It's baffling that people here like his agenda. That being said, his supporters here don't so much defend him so much as they just love his "owning the libs" shtick. Beyond Obama and Hillary memes, I don't think I've seen any Irish person here actually defend Trump when pressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

What the hell? There's no point trying to figure out what Trump would get out of another meeting so its more instructive to look at how it benefits Putin.

At the moment Putin's popularity is on the wane. His approval rating stands at about 60% - pretty good by western standards, not so good if youre an autocrat who's robbing his country blind and living in fear of violent revolution. Its the lowest its been since the invasion of Crimea. Things arent too good in Russia - crumbling infrastructure, dwindling government coffers. If Putin can get some of those pesky sanctions lifted, great. If not, at the very least these summits provide a distraction while his government introduces more austerity. By way of example, they introduced incredibly unpopular legislation that raised the age of retirement to coincide with the start of the World Cup.

jooksavage wrote: »
    What the hell? There's no point trying to figure out what Trump would get out of another meeting so its more instructive to look at how it benefits Putin.

At the moment Putin's popularity is on the wane. His approval rating stands at about 60% - pretty good by western standards, not so good if youre an autocrat who's robbing his country blind and living in fear of violent revolution. Its the lowest its been since the invasion of Crimea. Things arent too good in Russia - crumbling infrastructure, dwindling government coffers. If Putin can get some of those pesky sanctions lifted, great. If not, at the very least these summits provide a distraction while his government introduces more austerity. By way of example, they introduced incredibly unpopular legislation that raised the age of retirement to coincide with the start of the World Cup.

Putin invited himself. It's what happens when a smart person manipulates someone who's not smart. This is of no benefit to Trump but he bought it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,811 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

To my mind, Don, along with being a compulsive liar with a huge ego, is a gambler. He's lost fortunes and been bailed out more than once. It's probable that he thinks that where he is now is due to him being a successful gambler in another game which he's, to date, won. He doesn't like the other gamers at the table now because he knows his bluffing is being called. He'll probably up the ante now that his latest batch of lies have been called and seen by senior Washington regulars from all sides. It's noticeable that Don hasn't lashed out at Senator McCain for challenging him about his "I trust Vlad more than my own National Int Dir and Int agencies" statements.

Ambassador McFaul is lucky that it's public knowledge that Don had even seen the Russian request as worth consideration so it's not possible for Don now to play along with Vlad's gamble.

Yes, I know that.

The guy who has banged on about there being no collusion(Collusion is spelt with two LLs not one like Trump spelt it) with Russia, the things he has done before his election win, during the transition, and after his election make it look very like he has something to hide in some way shape or form. I mean we know he revealed classified info to the Russians in the oval office which he shouldn't have, but it seemed to have been to impress the Russians.

The second meeting with Russians, in this case it was the head bottle washer Putin, the DNI and presumably other top officials in his administration don't have a clear picture of what he said in a closed door meeting with a foreign adversary.

Two words lads Joke and Shop.( I know that's technically three words but just roll with it)

Yes, I know that.

The guy who has banged on about there being no collusion(Collusion is spelt with two LLs not one like Trump spelt it) with Russia, the things he has done before his election win, during the transition, and after his election make it look very like he has something to hide in some way shape or form. I mean we know he revealed classified info to the Russians in the oval office which he shouldn't have, but it seemed to have been to impress the Russians.

The second meeting with Russians, in this case it was the head bottle washer Putin, the DNI and presumably other top officials in his administration don't have a clear picture of what he said in a closed door meeting with a foreign adversary.

Two words lads Joke and Shop.( I know that's technically three words but just roll with it)

Remember when the whole Russian interference was a "notingburger" idea constructed by a bunch of "butthurt" "liberals"?

I remember.

And now everything is slowly but surely being confirmed. It's weird.

Remember when the whole Russian interference was a "notingburger" idea constructed by a bunch of "butthurt" "liberals"?

I remember.

And now everything is slowly bu surely being confirmed. It's weird.

The only member of congress that I've seen publicly or privately condemn President Trump's summit in Helsinki was Rand Paul who has praised his statements. I mean I know it's Rand Paul but it's the only person who has publicly praised it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,811 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

The only member of congress that I've seen publicly or privately condemn President Trump's summit in Helsinki was Rand Paul who has praised his statements. I mean I know it's Rand Paul but it's the only person who has publicly praised it.

He might yet change his mind. Don has allegedly instructed the issuing of an invite to Vlad to visit Washington. With the way Don has changed his mind on what he has actually done recently, it's possible the invite might turn out to be a fake news story. Today's Irish Times has several stories on Don's visit to Helsinki.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/us/trump-orders-invitation-for-putin-to-visit-washington-1.3570680

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/europe/putin-warns-of-ukraine-escalation-as-mystery-shrouds-trump-talks-1.3570461

Will Don be the hero riding to the rescue again, ala NK, with a second private W/House meeting with Russian officials turning out to be Don rescuing the Crimean Peninsula area of Europe from war and getting a lifeline thrown to him by Vlad?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 409 ✭✭Sassygirl1999

##Mod Snip##

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,919 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

He also voted down condemnation of Russian interference

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1020100744140255233?s=19

See? He's at the final stage.. ie I don't mind them cheating, so long as it helps our guy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

everlast75 wrote: »

See? He's at the final stage.. ie I don't mind them cheating, so long as it helps our guy

I really hope any supposed libertarians who fawn over guys like Paul pull their heads out of their arses and realise you can't be a libertarian and support someone in the Republican party.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,077 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

After this post
    listermint wrote: »
    Im questioning your credibility, Just like i do with Trump. Youve pretended to be up for Potus and acting like he was yours, i,e you are in the US. youve claimed to be a pick up driving bumper sticker loving republican. Yes youve never mentioned any pickups on the motoring forum, Believe me im in there enough.

So im struggling to put 2 and 2 together on the credibility scale.

Perhaps we should do an ambrosia test over on the motoring forum. 2 pickups and bumper stickers.
    I posted this.
    I should note I have received no PM, and would now like you to either pm the CMod Unkel, pm me to name the other motors regulars who have been to my house and in at least one or two of my american vehicles... or if not, retract your damn false and frankly libellous statement.

I don't take kindly to being accused of being a spoofer when I'm damn well not.
    ELM327 wrote: »
    This is completely unnecessary.
    I've never claimed to be based in the US. I do have a history of owning US vehicles.
    I have mentioned them in the motoring forum.
    I've sold them, and bought an Ioniq. I have been posting mostly in the EV forum now. I also spoke with the cmod Unkel at the lucan fast charge point in my Ioniq... and funnily enough he remembered my posting history of the pickups etc.
    I also met a couple of other regulars from the motors forum a couple of times in real life and they have been in at least one of my pickups.
    I'm not calling out posters on the thread (figure a cmod was ok) but feel free to PM me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,193 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

everlast75 wrote: »

I always thought that Rand Paul had principles. People might not have liked them but at least he stood for something so it's depressing that he's sold out like this.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Surprise surprise it looks Dan Coats interview on MSNBC and his reaction to Trumps announcement of another meeting with Putin has landed him in it. Washington Post reporting that the administrstion is furious with Coats, who appears to be laughing at the president during the interview. Sounds like his days are numbered. Pity he didnt resign by himself when his word was being compared to Putins on Monday - that would have caused a real problem for Trump.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,193 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

lurker2000 wrote: »
    Trumpty Dumpty sat on the wall. Trumpty Dumpty had a great fall. All his supporters and all his 'yes' men, couldn't rehabilitate his reputation again.

Please read the charter before posting again. This is not serious discussion.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,919 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I always thought that Rand Paul had principles. People might not have liked them but at least he stood for something so it's depressing that he's sold out like this.

Its gotten to that stage in american politics that some are so blinded by their hatred of the other party, they will reconcile in their own heads cheating, so long as it helps their guy. They might say that Putin is not that bad, or at least we are not going to war, or some other argument so they can basically say its the lesser of the two evils.

Gerrymandering and voter suppression has always been a fair charge against the Republican party. It's just a next stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

He's sold out years ago:rolleyes: Rand Paul's principles are what gets me in the news. He's a shameless self promoter who loves the idea that he's a maverick but 99 times out of 100 he sides with the GOP.

His MO is... Im not going to vote for this blah blah blah he all over the news with people fawning over him to get his vote and then he just votes with the GOP anyway. He loves it now considering there is only a majority of 1 so he feels more important now. hate him

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement