Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Putin and other Russian diplomats speaking about great and important agreements made in that closed door meeting.

Just playing out perfectly for them.

Doesn't matter if it's true or not, serves it's purpose either way. Hopefully it is a lie, but hell when you can manage to make Russia the more transparent country/government you know your doing something wrong

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,695 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

And now Trump is on the back foot, because even if he comes out and says what was discussed people are either not going to believe what he says, or not believe that it is the full agreements.

He never said they agreed anything, yet Russia seem to be of the view that agreements have been reached.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    And now Trump is on the back foot, because even if he comes out and says what was discussed people are either not going to believe what he says, or not believe that it is the full agreements.

He never said they agreed anything, yet Russia seem to be of the view that agreements have been reached.

Another fine example of this great deal maker/negotiator getting played.

Who knew that having a private meeting with Putin with nobody taking notes or recording the talking points might not be the smartest thing to do?

If a stable genius couldn't see that coming then I guess nobody could.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,919 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I've been thinking about this for some time now.

There can be little or no doubt that Trump is behaving very strangely, to the benefit of Putin in the main.

So, what could be the cause;

1) Narcissism - Trump believes he is the best thing ever - he can accomplish what others cannot, and to that end his motive is that he will do whatever it takes to "get good" with Russia, like no one else had done before, ditto KJU etc.

2) He is actually mentally unwell, in the clinical rather than the "personality flaw" kind of way (see above)

3) He is compromised - he is essentially underwritten by Putin and if Putin decides to pull the plug, it all goes under (Pee-tapes notwithstanding)

Frankly, I think its a touch of 2) and 3).

I also think that at this stage, Putin knows the game is up, and his final wishes will be to utterly humiliate Trump, for example suggesting the whole Browder deal, leaking that there was an agreement re Syria, getting Trump to invite Putin to the White House.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,695 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

But surely there are people around Trump that now how Putin is going to play this and have game played the likely outcomes?

Is that Trump is simply not paying any attention (the fact he took two days holidays to play gold just before the summit would lend credence to that theory)?

Mike Pence is long enough in the game, Bolton, Mattis, Pompeo. These guys all know how these things tend to work.

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »
    But surely there are people around Trump that now how Putin is going to play this and have game played the likely outcomes?

Is that Trump is simply not paying any attention (the fact he took two days holidays to play gold just before the summit would lend credence to that theory)?

Mike Pence is long enough in the game, Bolton, Mattis, Pompeo. These guys all know how these things tend to work.

He's simply not fit for the job. He is not able or willing to put in the work needed for the office. Poor knowledge, poor preparation, poor vocabulary.

Worst of all, he always thinks he is the smartest guy in the room. Its a pretty bad combination for a President of a Superpower. He has never been anything else though, there is nothing shocking about his inability to do the job, its why he still spends most of his time either playing golf or campaigning for a job he already has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

For the most part I’m not overly concerned (yet) about the appointment of right-leaning judges to SCOTUS. All the members tend to be intellectuals, exceptionally well-educated and strong thinkers, who usually make considered decisions, and they tend to have a lot of respect for the law and the constitution. If that changes, I’l be concerned, but for now, it’s still a well functioning branch of Government.

The Executive and the Legislative branches however... they appear to have forgotten their responsibilities.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

He's simply not fit for the job. He is not able or willing to put in the work needed for the office. Poor knowledge, poor preparation, poor vocabulary.

Worst of all, he always thinks he is the smartest guy in the room. Its a pretty bad combination for a President of a Superpower. He has never been anything else though, there is nothing shocking about his inability to do the job, its why he still spends most of his time either playing golf or campaigning for a job he already has.

He's that Sales guy that everyone else that works in the company hates. He never calls his customers back , tells them all kinds of lies to get the sale and then once the money has changed hands he's gone , leaving Customer Service people etc. to clean up his crap.

On the surface it looks like he has great Sales numbers , but then you look at all the re-work , cancellations and refunds that are happening afterwards because he sold the customer a pup and all of a sudden the reality looks very different.

Except now , they've promoted him and asked him to be the Operations manager and he's utterly out of his depth and has no interest in doing the job..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

Do we know what agreements the Russians are claiming he agreed to?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

dudara wrote: »
    For the most part I’m not overly concerned (yet) about the appointment of right-leaning judges to SCOTUS. All the members tend to be intellectuals, exceptionally well-educated and strong thinkers, who usually make considered decisions, and they tend to have a lot of respect for the law and the constitution. If that changes, I’l be concerned, but for now, it’s still a well functioning branch of Government.

The Executive and the Legislative branches however... they appear to have forgotten their responsibilities.

Not that well functioning when they give the green light for discriminating against homosexuals, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Christy42 wrote: »
    Would that actually mean anythinig even if they did?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Another day of turmoil in the stock and currency markets thanks to Trump
    For a business man, I really hope he is just playing stupid and does really know how the Fed works, because his comments are the most stupidest market related comments to date

• Registered Users Posts: 10,507 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I feel there is a fundamental flaw in the SCOTUS, in the for life appointments. I'm a firm believer in terms limits at all levels, but especially for one where generational changes in social sentiment should be reflected.

They had a graphic up last week that the Supreme Court has voted 98% along party lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

The reaction to a Fox News host criticising Trump's Helsinki comments

The reaction to a Fox News host criticising Trump's Helsinki comments

Wow! How toxic was that?

If nothing else, it shone a light on the vitriol a trump supporter has for anyone who dares to disagree!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I feel there is a fundamental flaw in the SCOTUS, in the for life appointments. I'm a firm believer in terms limits at all levels, but especially for one where generational changes in social sentiment should be reflected.

Can’t disagree with that. People do generally lose their mental acuity as they get older. Plus, a regular refresh is better than the inconsistent and unpredictable way it is refreshed right now.
    They had a graphic up last week that the Supreme Court has voted 98% along party lines.

Interesting, I hadn’t realised it was so correlated. It’s not felt like that to me. Was that correlation against the Dem-Rep makeup of SCOTUS, or against the governing party of the time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

The idea of a president of the USA of all places siding with a hostile foreign power over his own government is utterly insane.

When did he do that?

When did he do that?

Helsinki a few days ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

When did he do that?

It happened in Helsinki. It was fairly big news at the time. I'm surprised that you missed it.

In any case, here's a summary.

Intelligence services confirmed that Russians hacked the DNC.

He was asked:
    Just now President Putin denied having anything to do with the election interference in 2016. Every US intelligence agency has concluded that Russia did.

My first question for you, sir, is who do you believe?

and responded with
    My people came to me, Dan Coats came to me and some others and said they think it’s Russia.

I have President Putin. He just said it’s not Russia. I will say this. I don’t see any reason why it would be, but I really do want to see the server.

Seems pretty clear to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,609 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think Pete wants a whole new round of the Helsinki discussion here.
    Rinse and repeat. Sorry, we all know what we saw and heard.

Judge Jeanine Pirro has a book out about how she feels there has been a conspiracy against the Trump administration and was invited on The View to discuss it. While on it she suggested Whoopie has Trump Derangement Syndrome and was subsequently booted off the show.........

https://twitter.com/JudgeJeanine/status/1020293088613453824

No matter what people make of Pirro, booting her off the show just shows us that American liberals have learned nothing. They still feel silencing views they don't agree with is the way to go.

Helsinki a few days ago.

Caused quite a hullabaloo if I remember correctly. There was an intervention and an attempted apology and everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,708 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

No matter what people make of Pirro, booting her off the show just shows us that American liberals have learned nothing. They still feel silencing views they don't agree with is the way to go.

Was she booted off? Whoopi Goldberg pwn'ed her in the discussion and they went to break.

Judge Jeanine Pirro has a book out about how she feels there has been a conspiracy against the Trump administration and was invited on The View to discuss it. While on it she suggested Whoopie has Trump Derangement Syndrome and was subsequently booted off the show.........

If someone accuses you of having a made up syndrome simply because you level justifiable criticism at someone then there is no point in discussing anything with them because they are too far gone to listen to reason and have no intention of hearing what you say. She tried to shut down the debate by using that stupid phrase to delegitimise the view of who she was talking to and she got exactly that in return.

And to add to that, why should they get air time alongside rational debate to talk about groundless conspiracies and made up syndromes? If she wants to spout nonsense she can do it with the flat earthers, anti vaxers and holistic medicine suppliers.

Is that the TV show that Trump keeps live tweeting?

Oh I don't know about using that phrase tbh.

Witnessing Trump saying one thing on TV and then denying that it happened sounds much more like "Trump Derangement Syndrome" to me.

What happened in Helsinki might be one example....

Igotadose wrote: »
    Was she booted off? Whoopi Goldberg pwn'ed her in the discussion and they went to break.

"Owned her" lol.

Whoopie said Trump starts conversations with "Mexicans are liars and rapists" and that he "whips up people to beat the hell out of people" and then kicked her off the show not letting her reply to that nonsense. That means she "owned her"?

No, that's not how you treat someone and that is not discussion. She shoulf be ashamed of herself, as should anyone that feels that's an okay thing to do to a guest that has been invited onto a show and if Fox did the same to a liberal I'd say the same.

• Advertisement

It happened in Helsinki. It was fairly big news at the time. I'm surprised that you missed it.
    Water John wrote: »
    I think Pete wants a whole new round of the Helsinki discussion here.
    Ah folks, you're not honestly still trying to suggest that amounts to "siding with a hostile foreign power over his own government"??

I honestly thought something else had come up when I read that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement