Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,923 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

2 Scoops wrote: »
    I got that vibe too honestly, whoever gets out now won't be associated with it when the proverbial shít hits the fan.

There is another side to it though, apparently she's a very private person and would be understandably shook up over that mail incident among other things. Pressure on people in power is "yuge".

Mail incident???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

everlast75 wrote: »
    Mail incident???
    Someone sent an envelope of white powder like during the anthrax scares and I think it got delivered to her at home somehow, she was taken to hospital iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

There is another side to it though, apparently she's a very private person and would be understandably shook up over that mail incident among other things. Pressure on people in power is "yuge".

She's an actress/model who was introduced Don Jr by Don Senior at a fashion show, her whole life has been geared towards having a profile and being famous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,822 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Deputy Director McCabe fired by AG Sessions 2 [two] days before his retirement age of 50. So he's now free to speak out and has been doing so, blaming President Trump for using his office to target him. The sudden necessity for Sessions to fire McCabe with just 2 days before his retirement date might be troubling for Don in the future, as it seem's Don has been hassling Sessions to do so for some time, instead of letting him slide off into the distance quietly. Allegedly Don didn't like the the fact that McCabe's wife ran for public office as a democratic candidate and was wondering if McCabe could be trusted as a result.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Firing the guy just seems like a dick move. Push him out, fine, but knocking 15% and at least 7 years off the pension strikes me as entirely excessive.

• Advertisement

Orchestra politics yet again? This news broke just as Trump's lawyer moved to have his case transferred to the Federal Court seeking 20m dollars..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,822 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Vindictive is the only word to describe the firing of McCabe when the President tweets "Andrew McCabe fired - a great day for democracy". Even the use of the word demoracy is a message.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,227 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-consumer-confidence-hits-fresh-14-year-high-1521209584

"U.S. consumers’ confidence hit a fresh 14-year high this month, as lower-income households reported feeling more optimistic about the economy.

The University of Michigan on Friday said the preliminary result of its consumer-sentiment index was 102.0 in March, up from 99.7 in February. That was the highest level since January 2004, and well above the 99.0 economists surveyed by The Wall Street Journal had expected. "
    Fairly large distinction in fairness.

I googled "Stormy Daniels in office" - the results were not what I was expecting :p

No more jokes and link dumps please.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

For all those that thought HRC was going to pursue an aggressive, warmongering agenda, well, guess what - the Neocons are back from the wilderness (if they were ever there) in DC, with Trump's announcement of Pompeo. Seems like Tillerson was there to remove the less warlike staff held over from the previous administration, and Pompeo's all about getting into it with Iran and NK:

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2018/03/16/no-really-this-is-normal-did-you-forget-bush-cheney-217647

Good quote here: "It is no accident that everyone from William Kristol to the Wall Street Journal editorial page is making approving noises about Trump’s new picks: “Mr. Pompeo has the advantage,” the Journal noted on March 14, “of sharing Mr. Trump’s more hawkish instincts on Iran and North Korea in particular.” Far from representing an aberration, Trump represents the logical culmination of the longstanding Republican tradition of foreign policy unilateralism."

Send in the drones. Maybe a few nukes. With McMaster on his way out, imagine crazy John Bolton running the NSA. Wowza, the US'll be invading Canada before you know it. The guy is unhinged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,622 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The sacking of McCabe really shows a nasty vindictive streak, in all concerned.
    It's a measure of the present POTUS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,555 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Water John wrote: »

Yup imagine 2 days before retirement for serving over 2 decades serving his country

it's so nasty

Preet Bahara tweeted that Trump's would be exhibit A.
    I'm guessing that spells trouble for Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

The idea that Trump fires McCabe in this way and then claims that it's a great day for democracy isn't just ironic. It's indicative of the contempt in which he holds the office of POTUS and government as a whole. He really is a dangerous man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Water John wrote: »

Trump probably really wanted to show how much he is the boss. He’s utterly devoid of empathy, even to a basic degree. It’s all about him.

It’s also really concerning how much he is interfering in the mechanisms of the state and indeed gloating about it. The president should maintain independence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Does anyone expect any different from a man who models himself on Putin.

He's an inch short of photographing himself bare chest in the forest with a bear.

listermint wrote: »
    Does anyone expect any different from a man who models himself on Putin.

He's an inch short of photographing himself bare chest in the forest with a bear.

I'd pay good money to see a bare-chested Trump standing next to an angry grizzly.

I'd pay good money to see a bare-chested Trump standing next to an angry grizzly.

Might be better if he was smeared with honey or BBQ sauce.

I'm not sure what will come of the Daniels issue but I see that some pastors are circling the wagons around Trump over it saying its a non issue.

DubInMeath wrote: »
    Might be better if he was smeared with honey or BBQ sauce.

I'm not sure what will come of the Daniels issue but I see that some pastors are circling the wagons around Trump over it saying its a non issue.

I'ts not that you'd wish ill on another person or their family, but I'd like to see The Donald humiliated in a very public way. Not to damage him per se but to destroy everything he stands for and to drain the swamp of those who are knowingly complicit in facilitating The Donald's nasty agenda.

I'ts not that you'd wish ill on another person or their family, but I'd like to see The Donald humiliated in a very public way. Not to damage him per se but to destroy everything he stands for and to drain the swamp of those who are knowingly complicit in facilitating The Donald's nasty agenda.

I've mixed feelings about that, the world might be a better place without him and his kind, but human nature being what it is that's an impossibility.

It's sort of like when reading some of rants people put up on here about social welfare, homelesness etc, always being the fault of the person themselves. I'd often feel like I want to see some of them end up in the same situation, but knowing from friends what stress being out of a job for a couple of years can do to a person and their family I don't in a way.

Until you or someone you care about has experienced something its easy to hold an opinion. It's sort of like the situation Regan ended up in. Nancy was always very pro life, just say no etc, but ended up calling for stem cell research to be supported due to Ronnie ending up with Alzheimers.

In fairness, no President, other than DT, in recent times, has lacked empathy.
    G W Bush went and faced and hugged the family of soldiers, he had sent into battlefield. That's bravery, even though I disagreed fundamentally with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I could sort of respect GWB even if I didn’t agree with him on pretty much anything. He loved his country and did what he thought was right. I have zero respect for trump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,697 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Trump loves his country too.

The difference is that Trump is the only person that exists in his country and the only one that matters.

That's the thing about Trump. He makes every other POTUS look good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

It's all so unprofessional though, especially for a supposed successful business man.

He made his name as the "You're Fired" guy, but he doesnt seem to have the balls to fire someone to their face.

Tillerson over Twitter, McCabe supposedly by email.

It just shows him for the coward that he really is

It's all so unprofessional though, especially for a supposed successful business man.

He made his name as the "You're Fired" guy, but he doesnt seem to have the balls to fire someone to their face.

Tillerson over Twitter, McCabe supposedly by email.

It just shows him for the coward that he really is

Here's the thing. If the FBI have gathered any dirt on Trump over the past 50 years, McCabe will know all about it.

Like Henry V111, who went hunting in the country, when the latest wife was meeting her end.

Here's the thing. If the FBI have gathered any dirt on Trump over the past 50 years, McCabe will know all about it.

If he does know anything, I don't think he would be legally allowed say anything about it in the public domain.

DubInMeath wrote: »
    If he does know anything, I don't think he would be legally allowed say anything about it in the public domain.

Indeed, but a top FBI insider would know many back channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

Both the Inspector General and the Office of Responsibility say McCabe lied to them during their investigations. McCabe should have also recused himself from anything HRC related after his wife received all that money from Terry McCauliffe.

Something is amiss here and while the evidence is flimsy, there does seem to be a pattern of questionable ethics surrounding the FBI and political influence during the election. There's far too many instances like the one below where top FBI people are giving different answers.

http://thehill.com/opinion/judiciary/378919-mccabe-just-made-life-tough-for-comey-and-the-special-counsel

“I chose to share with a reporter through my public affairs officer and a legal counselor,” McCabe stated. “As deputy director, I was one of only a few people who had the authority to do that. It was not a secret, it took place over several days, and others, including the director, were aware of the interaction with the reporter.”

If the “interaction” means leaking the information, then McCabe’s statement would seem to directly contradict statements Comey made in a May 2017 congressional hearing. Asked if he had “ever been an anonymous source in news reports about matters relating to the Trump investigation or the Clinton investigation” or whether he had “ever authorized someone else at the FBI to be an anonymous source in news reports about the Trump investigation or the Clinton investigation,” Comey replied “never” and “no.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,774 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Like a lot of the Trump era firings, this seemed to be a long time coming. One popular theory is that it was either McCabe go or Sessions would be getting the sack.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement