Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

2 Scoops wrote: »
    You don't have to look many posts up to find posters accusing Republicans of selling their souls, part of the course round here I suppose.

You cannot possibly question the integrity of the Democrats if you do not question the integrity of the Republican Party.

We are talking about the party that is happy to ban to try and ban abortions but not relationships between 14 year old girls and 30 year old AGs who run for Senate later, for example. We are talking about the party that refused to even run hearings for a SC nomination by the last president while he was still in office. And the response of many GOP reps to the school walk out on gun control is amoral.

The Dems may be no saints but there is absolutely no grounds on which you can claim that the GOP is more democratic or morally upstanding than the Democrats.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

No I don't. I'm just sick of people pretending the FBI and other agencies intentions can't be questioned, it wasn't that long ago when the CIA were spying on members of congress.

The thing is, since day one Trump has made outlandish statements that are entirely untrue. Eg his claim that he was being wiretapped. The fact that Nunes refused to actually cite the evidence used for FISA warrant is pretty telling btw. Everything in the administration focuses upon making claims and never backing up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,623 ✭✭✭✭Water John

BTW, every step forward taken by Mueller has to get by a Grand Jury and the Presiding Judge. So he won't be taking shortcuts or dealing in anything less than facts.
    Let him get to the bottom of it.

We now also know as per, Guardian Art above that DT election campaign used illegally obtained personal information of voters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

pitifulgod wrote: »
    The thing is, since day one Trump has made outlandish statements that are entirely untrue. Eg his claim that he was being wiretapped.

That's a half truth, it's true his campaign was surveilled. The 3 million illegal votes, that's a better example :)

That's a half truth, it's true his campaign was surveilled.

Citation please

• Advertisement

Calina wrote: »
    The Dems may be no saints but there is absolutely no grounds on which you can claim that the GOP is more democratic or morally upstanding than the Democrats.

I'm not, both are equally as bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,697 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Leroy42 wrote: »
    2scoops, do you just ignore all the other charges laid against many of his team and Trump continued lies

No I don't. I'm just sick of people pretending the FBI and other agencies intentions can't be questioned, it wasn't that long ago when the CIA were spying on members of congress. Of course John Brennan these days is part of the "resistance", short memories.
    Leroy42 wrote: »
    2scoops, do you just ignore all the other charges laid against many of his team and Trump continued lies

No I don't. I'm just sick of people pretending the FBI and other agencies intentions can't be questioned, it wasn't that long ago when the CIA were spying on members of congress. Of course John Brennan these days is part of the "resistance", short memories.
    But none of the things I have posted have anything to do with a possibly corrupt FBI.

given they have all been either admitted to or had charges placed (so far more than the evidence against HC or BC every got to) surely you can see that this is a very real question over Trump, that for the sake of democracy needs to be dealt with.
    Trump said he was going to drain the swamp seems to be trying ti do the exact same thing that all previous POTUS have been doing according to you

There is no way that this is the message I am getting from you.

That's always the scoundrels justification. The're all bad, politicians all the same.
    No. the're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

No they're not. The GOP is exposing more and more of its cowardly hypocrisy by the day.

• Advertisement

Calina wrote: »
    Citation please

Is it not common knowledge that Carter Page was surveilled during the election and Manafort post election up until the inauguration?

Anyway, unmasking of Trump associates

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-04-03/top-obama-adviser-sought-names-of-trump-associates-in-intel

"White House lawyers last month learned that the former national security adviser Susan Rice requested the identities of U.S. persons in raw intelligence reports on dozens of occasions that connect to the Donald Trump transition and campaign, according to U.S. officials familiar with the matter."

Samantha Power

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/09/20/samantha-power-sought-to-unmask-americans-on-almost-daily-basis-sources-say.html

"Samantha Power, the former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, was 'unmasking' at such a rapid pace in the final months of the Obama administration that she averaged more than one request for every working day in 2016 – and even sought information in the days leading up to President Trump’s inauguration, multiple sources close to the matter told Fox News.

Two sources, who were not authorized to speak on the record, said the requests to identify Americans whose names surfaced in foreign intelligence reporting, known as unmasking, exceeded 260 last year. One source indicated this occurred in the final days of the Obama White House."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

That's a half truth, it's true his campaign was surveilled. The 3 million illegal votes, that's a better example :)

Not a half truth, he specifically said Obama setup wiretaps on him which he did not. He said it based on some random thing he saw on tv.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

I agree with you and 99% of people would in normal circumstances but it's not black and white.

You know what the problem is right? His supporters and many Republicans like Lindsey Graham think the previous administrations investigation of Clinton was corrupt and that the decision not to prosecute was made on day 1.. then the dossier pops up and is used to to spy on the Trump campaign - those reasons alone is why there's been so much pushback at least from the public against the investigations into Trump.

All that said I'm fine with it reaching a conclusion.. Trump getting nailed would be a spectacle beyond imagination.

Irrelevant. What matters is this investigation. Never mind that Clinton's guilt was screamed from the rafters with only a fraction of what has been shown on Trump's team and after scrutiny over a much longer period of her life.

They should be holding themselves to a higher standard if that is what they think. I stand by stating anyone calling for this investigation to end is selling their soul.

When a poster starts referring to 3m illegal votes, have jokingly or otherwise, he has lost the plot. A plot the GOP didn't even buy into.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

He claimed that President Obama wiretapped Trump Tower. So no it isn't a half truth. It's another lie by Donald Trump. His campaign is not the same as his home in New York city. Ah yes these mythical voters in which someone claimed on CNN to Chris Cuomo many months ago that he had to evidence to prove and chris Cuomo asked would he come back on to show the proof. The guest said he would and we are still waiting.

I hope Donald Trump and his family and whoever else in his circle are found guilty of things that a former FBI director who is a republican and was the only FBI Director outside of J. Edgar Hoover to serve more than ten years can prove happened.

Christy42 wrote: »
    Irrelevant.

It's not Irrelevant at all since Trump's entire Presidency from day 1 has been rocked by that dossier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,822 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I see trumps lawyer is saying that rob ronsenstein must now end the mueller investigation. Is that allowed ?

Also McCabe is reported to have kept memos regarding trump. It's strange that people seem to feel the need to keep records of interactions with trump. I wonder why that is ?

CNN has just reported that Rob Mueller has possession of some of McCabes memos AND has interviewed McCabe. If they contain McCabe's recording of details of his meeting/s with Don similar to a smoking gun and withstand cross-checking then Don has a lot to fear. I expect a lot of legal bluster from Don's lawyers and tweets from Don about how he's doing MAGA things for the US.

It's probable that if Mueller does have some of McCabes memos he might have gotten them over the past few days, given how the media were fairly open about how he was going to be fired by Don.

Now how this will affect Don and Jeff's relatioship has to be seen yet, if the firing hasn't had the shutting-off effect Don wanted. Don might be vexed enough to fire Jeff as the firing advice didn't work, MCabe is still out there, a clear and present danger to Don's Admin causing him to look over his shoulder at the legal section of his cabinet.

It's not Irrelevant at all since Trump's entire Presidency from day 1 has been rocked by that dossier.

It does not change the fact that the investigation has found out a lot of wrong doing in the Trump team and campaign and that there seems to be a lot more to find out.

In the context of should the investigation continue it is irrelevant. There was plenty of issues without the dossier to kick off an investigation and it has found out enough to justify its existence.

It says something that the trump administration makes the Nixon and bush 43 ones look competent.

The trump White House looks like a junior B team who was asked to play senior at short notice and can't handle it.

Christy42 wrote: »
    It does not change the fact that the investigation has found out a lot of wrong doing in the Trump team and campaign and that there seems to be a lot more to find out.

Fine but without that dossier the political landscape in the US would be radically different and who knows how things might have went, Comey might still be the FBI director. It was almost calm until buzzfeed dropped that nuke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,923 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Fine but without that dossier the political landscape in the US would be radically different and who knows how things might have went, Comey might still be the FBI director. It was almost calm until buzzfeed dropped that nuke.

You don't know what would have happened without that dossier. It is just as likely that his information would have come out based on Trump's erratic behaviour and platitudes towards Russia.

The facts are the investigation has lead to a number of convictions and therefore it is justified. Hopefully it will be left to find it's natural conclusion

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Mueller’s team have reportedly given trump a list of questions to be answered in a possible interview. This explains trumps panic tweeting the last 24 hours. There’s got to be some real humdingers in there, stuff that mueller already knows the answers to and trump realizes he’s in deep deep ****.

Trump will get rid of mueller now I have no doubt about that. But that will trigger an absolute ****storm in US politics that will be the beginning of the end for him.

I hope the questions will be leaked.

I strongly suspect that there is more than enough evidence for impeachment proceedings but my only concern is that when presented with Mueller's report, the politicians will do absolutely nothing. I cannot see any criminal charges being brought against DJT. I might settle for Don Jr, Ivanka and Jared though at a push...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,722 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

froog wrote:
    Trump will get rid of mueller now I have no doubt about that. But that will trigger an absolute ****storm in US politics that will be the beginning of the end for him.

Don't get too excited, teflon trump, I suspect he ll be fine for a while, might even get a second term, he currently suits the republican agenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,822 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

There's another issue that Don might be facing up to and that's a fight with the unions of federal employees over pay and conditions of employment, or work output as Don sees it. He wants to reduce the federal workforce but increase the federal border security force. It seem's that he might be using the education sector, via Betty DeVos, to effect his wishes. I don't have a WePo accout so the 1st link might NOT open. The 2nd link is an overall story, incl the case presently before the USSC on Union workers dues ruling by the USSC in the past. Trump Admin is reported as backing the case against obligatory payment of dues to unions. With the change in USSC judges, Neil Gorsuch, there might be a swing vote against the unions as the last time the USSC heard the case , it ws divided 50/50 when Justice Scalia was seated on the USSC.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/wp/2018/03/16/trump-administration-escalates-attack-on-federal-unions-with-one-sided-agreement-at-education/

http://bismarcktribune.com/news/national/govt-and-politics/justices-take-up-critical-challenge-to-public-sector-unions/article_4ee8b0bc-bea4-56d7-97f4-7150ebc7efa0.html

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Don't get too excited, teflon trump, I suspect he ll be fine for a while, might even get a second term, he currently suits the republican agenda.

Indeed. He seems to be learning well from Putin. We have seen in recent days that accusations of wrong doing against Putin just further entrench his supporters. I suspect that when Mueller's findings come out it will simply further convince his supporters that everyone is out to get them.

3 tweets in the last hour.. fox and friends sure has him rilled up!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

everlast75 wrote: »

Had a look at them. As a POTUS, he's grotesque.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

everlast75 wrote: »

Hes losing the plot

• Advertisement

Stheno wrote: »
    Hes losing the plot

Well to lose the plot you first have to have had it. Donald trump doesn't seem to have had it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement