Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

20Cent wrote: »
    Channel 4 doing another undercover piece on cambridge Analytics tomorrow evening just about what they did for Trump.

Hopefully better than this evenings. Nothing earth shattering so far. Certainly nothing to damage Trump in any way unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

aloyisious wrote: »
    I don't actually understand the wording of Facebook's reported intention to audit Cambridge Analytica [CNN - LONDON]. I assume it means the interaction and data-sharing between the parties. The EU Data Commissionaire and the EU Parliament both plan to investigate the affair.

I’m guessing that Facebook have a right to audit as part of their Data Processing Agreements, or whatever legal contracts are in place.

It wasn’t an earth shattering exposé tonight, but it was entertaining and very timely, given the Mueller investivation and forthcoming introduction of GDPR. Cambridge Analytica really came across as a bumbling shower, hardly the political masterminds that got Trump elected.

Will be looking forward to tomorrow’s episode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,623 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Nix and CA were offering to entrap politicians. They are in deep trouble. Regulator looking at them now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,822 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Is Channel 4 the station mentioned in this report: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/19/us/cambridge-analytica-alexander-nix.html

This other link is about the supposed departure [soon] of a Snr F/B staffer as he had opposed the way other Snr F/B staffers had let CA access to info of F/B members. He suggested that F/B should be open and transparent about the way russians used F/B and disinformation activity.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/19/technology/facebook-alex-stamos.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Water John wrote: »
    Nix and CA were offering to entrap politicians. They are in deep trouble. Regulator looking at them now.

UK Bribery Act 2010. I’d imagine that they’re looking to lawyer up ASAP

• Advertisement

If F/B does a number on CA now to save it's own skin and market value, it could help it's case if it found info in it's audit that the T/Campaign funds for the CA work could be traced back to a senior staffer or some-one further up the chain had to authorise payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

You're ocbviously paywalled. First three paragraphs of the article:

WASHINGTON — Sitting in a hotel bar, Alexander Nix, who runs the political data firm Cambridge Analytica, had a few ideas for a prospective client looking for help in a foreign election. The firm could send an attractive woman to seduce a rival candidate and secretly videotape the encounter, Mr. Nix said, or send someone posing as a wealthy land developer to pass a bribe.

“We have a long history of working behind the scenes,” Mr. Nix said.

The prospective client, though, was actually a reporter from Channel 4 News in Britain, and the encounter was secretly filmed as part of a monthslong investigation into Cambridge Analytica, the data firm with ties to President Trump’s 2016 campaign.

The results of Channel 4’s work were broadcast in Britain on Monday, days after reports in The New York Times and The Observer of London that the firm had harvested the data from more than 50 million Facebook profiles in its bid to develop techniques for predicting the behavior of individual American voters.

Stunningly, on Anderson Cooper CNN, John Dean says Trump has gone much further than Nixon on Obstruction of Justice.

WASHINGTON — Sitting in a hotel bar, Alexander Nix, who runs the political data firm Cambridge Analytica, had a few ideas for a prospective client looking for help in a foreign election. The firm could send an attractive woman to seduce a rival candidate and secretly videotape the encounter, Mr. Nix said, or send someone posing as a wealthy land developer to pass a bribe.

The prospective client, though, was actually a reporter from Channel 4 News in Britain, and the encounter was secretly filmed as part of a monthslong investigation into Cambridge Analytica, the data firm with ties to President Trump’s 2016 campaign.

The results of Channel 4’s work were broadcast in Britain on Monday, days after reports in The New York Times and The Observer of London that the firm had harvested the data from more than 50 million Facebook profiles in its bid to develop techniques for predicting the behavior of individual American voters.

I just checked the NYT & copied the links saw a similarity between the last few posts & surmised from the info in the sentences and an earlier item on CNN News,, a one-line comment from a newsreader about Pols being tergetted because of prostitute liaisons. I've no NYT account so did't bother opening the reports.

Nix actually fell for a ruse like that, even though CA has been under the spotlight since early 2016???? He makes the steele dossier work look superior and this should take the heat off it as somethong doubtful, whatever Don says about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Water John wrote: »
    Stunningly, on Anderson Cooper CNN, John Dean says Trump has gone much further than Nixon on Obstruction of Justice.

It's arguable there is a much stronger case against Trump as it stands with what we know than what was drawn up against Nixon. Thats the articles of impeachment against Nixon http://watergate.info/impeachment/articles-of-impeachment

The evidence against Trump https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/28/opinion/impeachment-donald-trump.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I just checked the NYT & copied the links saw a similarity between the last few posts & surmised from the info in the sentences and an earlier item on CNN News,, a one-line comment from a newsreader about Pols being tergetted because of prostitute liaisons. I've no NYT account so did't bother opening the reports.

Nix actually fell for a ruse like that, even though CA has been under the spotlight since early 2016???? He makes the steele dossier work look superior and this should take the heat off it as somethong doubtful, whatever Don says about it.

You can get a number of free articles every month with the NYT and WAPO before they firewall you.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    It's arguable there is a much stronger case against Trump as it stands with what we know than what was drawn up against Nixon. Thats the articles of impeachment against Nixon http://watergate.info/impeachment/articles-of-impeachment

The evidence against Trump https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/28/opinion/impeachment-donald-trump.html

Case 1 against RMH - using retired CIA agents to break into the DNC head office to get info from DNC

Case 2 against DT Snr - assisting serving Russian secret service/govt agents to hack into the DNC head office computer system to get info from DNC

You can get a number of free articles every month with the NYT and WAPO before they firewall you.

I've visited them so often the firewall pops up AUTO - :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

The prospective client, though, was actually a reporter from Channel 4 News in Britain, and the encounter was secretly filmed as part of a monthslong investigation into Cambridge Analytica, the data firm with ties to President Trump’s 2016 campaign

Sweet justice getting caught out by their own dirty tricks..:D:D brilliant

I'm not big fan of these secret sting operations a lot of the time it is entrapment but great to see people bragging that they will do it get caught themselves

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Sweet justice getting caught out by their own dirty tricks..:D:D brilliant

I'm not big fan of these secret sting operations a lot of the time it is entrapment but great to see people bragging that they will do it get caught themselves

It's the same old things that still work, no matter what. Sex and money. Times change, people don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,923 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Ludo wrote: »
    Hopefully better than this evenings. Nothing earth shattering so far. Certainly nothing to damage Trump in any way unfortunately.

Oh I don't know. Here's a list of people who I have read have ties to CA

The Mercers
    Steve Bannon
    Rudy Guiliani
    Ted Cruz
    Ben Carson
    Kellyanne Conway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Is Channel 4 the station mentioned in this report: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/19/us/cambridge-analytica-alexander-nix.html

This other link is about the supposed departure [soon] of a Snr F/B staffer as he had opposed the way other Snr F/B staffers had let CA access to info of F/B members. He suggested that F/B should be open and transparent about the way russians used F/B and disinformation activity.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/19/technology/facebook-alex-stamos.html

This whole story is massive, lets not forget that Steve Bannon was Vice President of CA and Robert Mercer partly(mostly!) owns CA.

The whistleblower was on CNN this morning saying that CA did a lot of work for the Russians. Hopefully CA will be prosecuted and we can get to the bottom of all this Fake News crap and disinformation tactics.

All I can say thanks be to God I don't have any social media accounts, No Facebook, No twitter, No Instagram. WhatApps is as far as I go and I'm very happy with that.

Tried Facebook years ago but it scared me, the way it suggested friends for you that were several degrees of separation from you didnt seem right:rolleyes: they just suck info up on you and feed you crap that people are paying them to feed you. Facebook could be in trouble here also that weasel zukerberg needs to be put under the grill

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Trump has added Joseph DiGenova to his legal team. This chap is a deep state fantasist and it looks likely he'll be taking a prominent role going forward. This fits with a recent pattern of behaviour: getting rid of people like Tillerson and further surrounding himself with yes-men like Larry Kudlow. McMaster or Kelly could be next to get the chop. Not a good strategy. When the day of reckoning comes he'll have no one left to prevail upon except, bumbling imbeciles.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I don’t see the big deal. None of this is new. It’s just another stick to beat Trump with. The Obama campaign was doing this 10 years ago. Just replace “Cambridge Analytica” with “Catalist”. Nothing new to see here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,210 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I don’t see the big deal. None of this is new. It’s just another stick to beat Trump with. The Obama campaign was doing this 10 years ago. Just replace “Cambridge Analytica” with “Catalist”. Nothing new to see here

Straight from the T_D playbook i assume?

• Advertisement

I reckon Steve Bannon will be welcome in the UK, to receive an arrest warrant.

Facebook shares down 7%. That is why Zuckerberg will take notice. His Board will force him to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,697 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Did you see the report and have you read any of Demfad posts (and others)?

If you don't see this as a massive story, not just in terms of Trump but overall, then you are simply not paying attention.

Here's one example. CA were able to mine data on people within FB by running surveys, like "Test your knowledge of flags", or "what Spice girl would you be" type nonsense. All harmless really. Except that by taking the survey you were giving permission to CA to get access to all your FB data. OK, you might say, should have checked the small print. But, not only you, they then have access to all your friends' data. So even if you personally never took one you were probably caught up in it.

So yes Obama used FB to spot trends and target potential voters. But this is completely different. This was aimed at sending fake news to those accounts they they felt could be turned. Targeting them with specific feeds to get them to vote a particular way.

But even if you are right, even if Obama did it too, does that make it right? Does everything have to be about what was done in the past?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

VinLieger wrote: »
    Straight from the T_D playbook i assume?

Excuse my ignorance
    It’s probably really obvious
    T_D?

By the way...both sides of the Brexit campaign were heavy in data analytics too
    In fact I think CA themselves were involved in the leave campaign

The old 'both sides were at it' BS. In the Brexit Scenario, where did the money come from? Where did the DUP, now propping up TM, get the money that was washed through their books?

That's the type of inquiry that's should be established.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

Excuse my ignorance
    T_D?

I can't answer about the T_D thing but CA were indeed involved in Brexit. I believe the issue here is not data analytics but that CA were involved in a but more than analysing data.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,697 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Excuse my ignorance
    T_D?

These goes beyond data analytics. You really need to start reading up on it. And it will take some time to understand it all. It really is, and this is by design, very complicated.

Surely you can understand the difference between data analytics and data flow management? They didn't simply collect the data to let them see what was happening, they were using the data to actively target people, using what they knew about their likes/dislikes, to move them a particular direction.

It was a concerted effort utilising not only the illegally collected data but also Twitter Bots, FB newsfeed for made up stories etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,210 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Excuse my ignorance
    T_D?

Playing up the catalist "but obama did it" deflection excuse, yeah i don't believe your feigning ignorance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Leroy42 wrote: »

If you don't see this as a massive story, not just in terms of Trump but overall, then you are simply not paying attention.

Just don't see this gaining traction. He has gotten away with way more obvious stuff which should have affected his Presidency. This just ain't going to matter. I hope I am wrong but I am guessing that within a week all this will be forgotten and we will have moved onto the next scandal/distraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Here's one example. CA were able to mine data on people within FB by running surveys, like "Test your knowledge of flags", or "what Spice girl would you be" type nonsense. All harmless really. Except that by taking the survey you were giving permission to CA to get access to all your FB data. OK, you might say, should have checked the small print. But, not only you, they then have access to all your friends' data. So even if you personally never took one you were probably caught up in it.

So yes Obama used FB to spot trends and target potential voters. But this is completely different. This was aimed at sending fake news to those accounts they they felt could be turned. Targeting them with specific feeds to get them to vote a particular way.

But even if you are right, even if Obama did it too, does that make it right? Does everything have to be about what was done in the past?

The press have been doing that for years before the Internet. In the UK fir example The Sun and other rags printed lies and propaganda, which influenced people when it came to voting. What else is Facebook up to around the globe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,923 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

In addition to this, DT's digital campaign main man behind 2016 and has signed up for 2020, has refused to answer questions regarding collaboration with Russia

Quote;

"Over the weekend, several Democrats said they were extremely concerned about recent media reports that Cambridge Analytica, the conservative data analytics firm Parscale hired for the campaign, had improperly collected information on more than 50 million Facebook users and likely used it in the voter-targeting operation"

Link to story here

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/03/19/trump-russian-digital-parscale-470263

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement