Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Skedaddle

He'd have fun enforcing those!

1. They are possibly unenforceable.
    2. Attempting to enforce them would make him look like a dictator with something to hide.
    3. Some people will possibly disclose regardless, in the national interest.

This isn't private business. It's very public.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The man is genuinely loopers. BTW my money would be on Biden.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/976765417908776963

Serious note - Biden was a hugely popular vice-president, who's never had any smears (that I know of) attached to him. Now Trump is calling him "crazy Joe"?? What a reprehensible being he is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Really Interested

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Yes, I am not saying that he is simply making things up, but he was head of the CIA, if he 'knew' this short of stuff why didn't he do something about it?

It staggers me that the CIA allowed a situation whereby the elected POTUS may not only be compromised, but was such even before becoming POTUS and they had indications that it was that way.

A person running for election is entitled to due process as is any citizen elected or not. As a citizen the ex head of CIA has avoided making
    Many comments but according to the report I earlier posted he answered a question posed with an opinion based on information he has seen while that maybe not enough for conviction it allows him to form a opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,041 ✭✭✭Christy42

Curious that he is so happy to shout his failure from the hill tops. I mean Mexico is pretty small in comparison to the US in terms of buying power etc. and the best negotiator has shouted about his defeat. The US tax payer is paying for the wall not Mexico.

They are also paying for the "coming arms race" as Trump calls it. Surely by kicking off first and talking about it as if it was here Trump is starting the arms race? I am curious how much of the budget that 700 billion is.

As othere have said the existence of the NDAs shows there is plenty more chaos in the whitehouse that they are attempting to hide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,010 ✭✭✭circadian

dudara wrote: »

Serious note - Biden was a hugely popular vice-president, who's never had any smears (that I know of) attached to him. Now Trump is calling him "crazy Joe"?? What a reprehensible being he is

Forever preserved in the National Archives. It's the first time I've looked at Twitter in a while, the bots are out in force today it seems. So much spam, it's unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I'm not sure that the man who needed a golf cart at the G7 would stand a chance. I hope Biden and others keep trolling him though. If they can keep Trump's mind distracted with petty nonsense, it could slow down his stupid agenda or maybe goad him into doing something stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,923 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

to provide the background, Biden spoke at an anti-sexual assault rally in Florida on Tuesday and referred to the comments Trump made in the "Access Hollywood" tape about grabbing women.

He said, "If we were in high school, I'd take him behind the gym and beat the hell out of him."

So - to be clear. He did not threaten Trump at all.

Doesn't matter to DT though. He needs to prove he is "the man" by using nicknames. Ironically, while telling Joe not to threaten him, he threatens Joe.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/mccabe-authorized-perjury-investigation-sessions-n858891

McCabe authorized an investigation on Sessions a while back. I suspect this story is being run from the Whitehouse as Trump tries to gain support to fire Sessions to get close to removing Meuller.

I found this twitter member.

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot

Basically, it checks for DT's tweets every 5 mins and then re-formats them into a press release layout.

Whilst it is funny/poignant (and shocking) to see them presented in that way, it also makes sure I don't have to give DT another follower on Twitter...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

everlast75 wrote: »
    I found this twitter member.

https://twitter.com/RealPressSecBot

Basically, it checks for DT's tweets every 5 mins and then re-formats them into a press release layout.

Whilst it is funny/poignant (and shocking) to see them presented in that way, it also makes sure I don't have to give DT another follower on Twitter...

That's brilliant. Shows his madness for what it is.

• Advertisement

So I had a look at the bookies odds for 2020 and for Trump being impeached/resigning.

He's 7/4 to be re-elected and similar odds to be impeached/resign.

It's one way of showing how crazy this Presidency is if the bookies are taking no risks on any of these things happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,624 ✭✭✭✭Water John

DT got very itchy, with Joe Biden cropping up, in the news. Joe would be a good runner, esp favoured by blue collar and union workers. Heard Mitch Landrieu, Mayo of New Orleans last night. Very impressive and is mentioned as a possible Dem candidate. He's the guy who took down the Confederate statues. Has a book coming out called, In the Shadow of Statues.

Btw - joe also said this..

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/976803102455148544?s=19

It's funny the way Trump loves slagging people about their appearance yet is very sensitive about his own..

Biden can be very witty. Occasionally, puts his foot in his mouth, but that's an endearing quirk, in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Water John wrote: »
    DT got very itchy, with Joe Biden cropping up, in the news. Joe would be a good runner, esp favoured by blue collar and union workers.

Previously age would have ruled him out, but an article I was reading lately said Trump's victory had rendered 70-somethings viable candidates, and the likes of Mitt Romney and John Kerry could see their time come round again, in the right circumstances...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Previously age would have ruled him out, but an article I was reading lately said Trump's victory had rendered 70-somethings viable candidates, and the likes of Mitt Romney and John Kerry could see their time come round again, in the right circumstances...

I hadn't realised Mitt Romney was that age. Clean Morman living must have some benefits.

Both would be fine candidates.

So Dowd has resigned apparently

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/22/us/politics/john-dowd-resigns-trump-lawyer.html

No point in having lawyers if you don't listen to them.

"Mr. Trump has insisted he should sit for an interview with the special counsel’s office, even though Mr. Dowd believed it was a bad idea"

I wonder if DT's own ego and belief that he can charm or make a deal with anyone will not allow him to hide behind Counsel? Fingers crossed.

If so, it might mean that his own giant ego will be his downfall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/22/us/politics/john-dowd-resigns-trump-lawyer.html

"Mr. Trump has insisted he should sit for an interview with the special counsel’s office, even though Mr. Dowd believed it was a bad idea"

I wonder if DT's own ego and belief that he can charm or make a deal with anyone will not allow him to hide behind Counsel? Fingers crossed.

Dowd's an excellent lawyer (perhaps his judgement in being part of Team Trump isn't great.) For those US baseball fans among us, he's the lawyer hired by MLB to investigate Pete Rose's allegations of gambling - which led to Rose, the all-time hits leader, permanently banned from baseball and the baseball Hall of Fame, which he otherwise would have been a member of, decades ago. So, Dowd's a good lawyer imo, and leaving the clown car that is the Trump administration seems smart. Now Trump's down to the Fox news flotsam and jetsam as his defenders. Can't wait for Mueller to get him in front of a recorder....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

How can everything and everybody around Trump have so much dysfunction? At this stage, I'm not even mad, I'm just impressed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Igotadose wrote: »
    Dowd's an excellent lawyer (perhaps his judgement in being part of Team Trump isn't great.) For those US baseball fans among us, he's the lawyer hired by MLB to investigate Pete Rose's allegations of gambling - which led to Rose, the all-time hits leader, permanently banned from baseball and the baseball Hall of Fame, which he otherwise would have been a member of, decades ago. So, Dowd's a good lawyer imo, and leaving the clown car that is the Trump administration seems smart. Now Trump's down to the Fox news flotsam and jetsam as his defenders. Can't wait for Mueller to get him in front of a recorder....

Sadly I think the departure of Dowd is far more likely to be a precursor to Trump firing Mueller.

As said , Dowd has a more than solid rep as a lawyer and whilst he pushed for Trump to not sit down for an interview (what competent Lawyer wouldn't?) he also was firmly of the belief that Trump should co-operate with the investigation.

Trump is also talking about firing Ty Cobb (again , despite what opinions you might have is a lawyer with a very solid court-room reputation) another of the lawyers in the "Let Mueller do his job" camp.

With Dowd and Cobb (potentially) gone , none of the other "Fox News Lawyers" will stop Trump from firing Mueller now..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Sadly I think the departure of Dowd is far more likely to be a precursor to Trump firing Mueller.

As said , Dowd has a more than solid rep as a lawyer and whilst he pushed for Trump to not sit down for an interview (what competent Lawyer wouldn't?) he also was firmly of the belief that Trump should co-operate with the investigation.

Trump is also talking about firing Ty Cobb (again , despite what opinions you might have is a lawyer with a very solid court-room reputation) another of the lawyers in the "Let Mueller do his job" camp.

With Dowd and Cobb (potentially) gone , none of the other "Fox News Lawyers" will stop Trump from firing Mueller now..

It certainly seems less likely he'll make any attempt to cooperate with Mueller now but as Richard Painter points out below, firing Mueller is far from straightforward

https://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2018/03/20/three-big-obstacles-trump-firing-mueller-and-why-might-try-anyway/AXYCeWioDqu0HKU2Mp6ygM/story.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,714 ✭✭✭amandstu

Quin_Dub wrote: »

He needs to fire Sessions first doesn't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,225 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I would think there’d be civil unrest on a fairly large scale if he fires Mueller.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

MadYaker wrote: »
    I would think there’d be civil unrest on a fairly large scale if he fires Mueller.

I can't see the GOP, hypocritical as they are, supporting him in firing Mueller.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Looking at it, this doesn’t sound all that much of a reach. It would explain a whole lot

https://twitter.com/blainejo/status/976298838444032000?s=21

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

MadYaker wrote: »
    I can't see the GOP, hypocritical as they are, supporting him in firing Mueller.

Oddly enough , the longer Trump takes to fire Mueller , the more likely the GOP are to react against it..

If he did a "Friday Morning Massacre" tomorrow morning and fired Sessions and then got his new AG to fire Mueller I think the GOP might actually try to see if they could get away with doing nothing..

A few guys will come out and have a rant at first (Graham , Flake , McCain) but Ryan and McConnell would actually hold fire to see if they thought they could ride it out before the mid-terms.

But - The longer Trump waits , the less likely it is that there'd be any chance of a GOP Survival/Revival before the mid-terms so they'd pull the plug on him and hope that they can sell the "Pence , New Broom" story before November..

They care about nothing but power (like most political machines in fairness)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,775 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

At this rate we might see a Mike Pence Presidency discussion thread before the end of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Water John wrote: »
    Both would be fine candidates.

I think democrats would prefer a dem to win in 2020 but also from a legislative experience point of view Mitt Romney would be a fine president.

• Advertisement

The CA and Steve Bannon plan was for backing Ted Cruz. When he was failing they coopted themselves onto Donald Trump. Trump already possibly compromised to Russia, and we had a coming together of two interests.
    Don't think it matters that much, which party the next POTUS is from. Quality and competence, is all is required.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement