Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Water John wrote: »
    The CA and Steve Bannon plan was for backing Ted Cruz. When he was failing they coopted themselves onto Donald Trump. Trump already possibly compromised to Russia, and we had a coming together of two interests.
    Don't think it matters that much, which party the next POTUS is from. Quality and competence, is all is required.

The next president regardless will be seen as a genius compared to trump. I realise that is not a high bar, because while trump may be clever in some regards he isn't a intelligent man. And as I was told years ago, a clever man and an intelligent man aren't the same thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

4 defense attorneys at different large law firms have been approached to join Trump's legal defense team in recent weeks. All 4 turned him down.

david75 wrote: »
    4 defense attorneys at different large law firms have been approached to join Trump's legal defense team in recent weeks. All 4 turned him down.

But of course they did David. I mean at the start of this whole mess you'd say fair enough but a year into trump's presidency any attorney that joins his team when not under the influence of some substance then they are not in a sound frame of mind. It'd be like knowing the Titanic was going to sink and still getting on a Cobh expecting you to make it to New York.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,379 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

The CA and Steve Bannon plan was for backing Ted Cruz. When he was failing they coopted themselves onto Donald Trump. Trump already possibly compromised to Russia, and we had a coming together of two interests.
    Don't think it matters that much, which party the next POTUS is from. Quality and competence, is all is required.
    President Pence.

Edit: Hande Hoche got there first. Worth repeating though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

amandstu wrote: »
    He needs to fire Sessions first doesn't he?

I believe he'd have to convince Rod Rosenstein to fire Mueller or else replace Rosenstein with someone that would. Unfortunately for him, it could prove difficult or just impossible to find that person inside the Justice Dept (based on the diasterous precedent set by Nixon) and apparently the Vacancies Act won't allow him to just go ahead and find someone from a different department willing to swing the axe.

Also, he would have to provide good cause to fire Mueller and he doesnt have one. Mueller is operating enitrely within the remit established by Rosenstein. If Mueller is fired with anything less than a watertight explanation, he can challenge his dismissal through thr Administrative Procedures Act. That process would take months, during which time the investigation would continue.

Even if Trump was able to do the above, he's running out of time. There's every indication that the Rs will lose their majority in congress come November. If that happens, D-dominated congress can insist on replacing the sacked Mueller with someone equally competent (and possibly less impartial than Mueller).

Trump can rant and rave and surround himself with yes-men but Mueller isn't going away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

• Registered Users Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

jooksavage wrote: »
    I believe he'd have to convince Rod Rosenstein to fire Mueller or else replace Rosenstein with someone that would. Unfortunately for him, it could prove difficult or just impossible to find that person inside the Justice Dept (based on the diasterous precedent set by Nixon) and apparently the Vacancies Act won't allow him to just go ahead and find someone from a different department willing to swing the axe.

Reminds me of this wonderful scene from Oliver Stone's Nixon:
    Oh, yes, of course. Fire him.

Who? Cox. Archibald Cox. Fire him!

He works for the attorney general.

Only Richardson can fire him. May I echo my concern here, sir?

Then tell Richardson to fire him!

Well, Richardson won't do that, sir. He'll resign.

The hell he will. Then fire him too.

If you have to go all the way down to the janitor at the justice department...

...fire that son of a bitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Hurrache wrote: »
    11 days = 1 Mooch :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,822 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Re Cambridge Analytics, has it's connections with Strategic Communition Laboratories been mentioned here before [I reckon it has but how to find it?]. It seem's SCL founded CA.

In any case a Scottish National Party MP yesterday asked in the House of Commons if the PM would make a comment on the fact that a chairman of Oxford Con Assoc ran SCL, it's founding chairman was a former Con Party MP, a former Con Party Treasurer is a shareholder, + a mention that a director appeared to have donated Stg 700,000 to the Con Party. Theresa's reply: There's no Govt contracts with them, the Info Comm is investigating them, she expects the co's [incl F/B] to assist it, and the new data protection bill will strengthen protection. Channel 4 news yesterday.......

In online info related to CA [in the Guardian] A gent named Nigel Oakes is mentioned. Russia seem's to have been in the background. https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/04/nigel-oakes-cambridge-analytica-what-role-brexit-trump

BBC1 Question Time progrmme covering this issue, MP's from different parties incl Govt debating it in front of a live audience.

NBC news are reporting that the shake up in trumps legal team paves the way for a mueller interview for trump. Jesus they'd make a killing if they could put this on PPV. I hope someone on his legal team explain the concept of perjury to him before hand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,923 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    NBC news are reporting that the shake up in trumps legal team paves the way for a mueller interview for trump. Jesus they'd make a killing if they could put this on PPV. I hope someone on his legal team explain the concept of perjury to him before hand.

That'll be the end of him if he does go for the interview unaided.

People should start trolling him on Twitter- saying he is afraid of Mueller. That's one definite way of riling him enough to get him to go do it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

everlast75 wrote: »
    That'll be the end of him if he does go for the interview unaided.

People should start trolling him on Twitter- saying he is afraid of Mueller. That's one definite way of riling him enough to get him to go do it

What's the devils advocate here? It's an easy thought that Trump is that arrogant and misguided that he thinks he could speak to Mueller without representation, but is there an angle that would be to his benefit? I'm wavering around the notion of "he couldn't be that thick, could he? I must be missing something".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

McMaster GONE...Bolton in...christ....

Ludo wrote: »

Really ? Jesus who the hell wont be fired ? I'd say Melania and his family are just about safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

There'll be missiles in the air by the morning so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,775 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

That's dreadful news. Doesn't bode well for the Middle East in particular.

https://twitter.com/presssec/status/974468508074565632?s=21

Like all tweets from this administration, this tweet hasn't aged well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,624 ✭✭✭✭Water John

24 hours is a long time, in Trump world. Who is now actually advising him on the major reshuffle that is going on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,065 ✭✭✭✭josip

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Really ? Jesus who the hell wont be fired ? I'd say Melania and his family are just about safe.

Perhaps Melania will fire Donald if Stormy Daniel's claims hold water.

Well Donald won't be firing, IUKWIM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

Bolton's appointment has just moved the world a few steps closer to a major war. He's learnt nothing from Iraq or Afghanistan. He's still pushing for yet more conflicts with N Korea and Iran. Id prefer to see Ramsey Bolton appointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,822 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

The president said in a tweet that he was naming Bolton — a former U.N. ambassador, Fox News commentator and conservative firebrand — as his new national security adviser. It leaves me wondering if Don Trump is intent on removing the constitutional blocks on which the US is presently built, incl playing the GOP and Dem parties against each other, making the law-makers incapable of working together.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

When he starts firing the really competent folk like McMaster, one wonders how much longer he will last. I mean, really, what can possibly be going through his mind?

McMaster is too good an officer to kick to the roadside. There is talk about his being posted to command Eighth Army in Korea, which is a damned important billet and is due for rotation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

The idea of a dangerous warmonger (a phrase I think is accurate in this case) like John Bolton having Trump's ear is truly terrifying.

McMaster is to retire from the army.
    Interesting point, seems all those going the exit door, disagree with Trump on Russia.

Just to remind people that John Bolton didn't get confirmed in 2005 under presideny bush 43. Trump said from April 9th he takes over. I wouldn't be planning any trips to Iran on April 10th.

Bolton didn't know he was being appointed, today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

robinph wrote: »
    How can it possibly be legitimate for a state employee to sign an NDA between themselves and the private citizen Trump? Between themselves and the USA yes as far as not releasing state secrets, but the goings on of Trump the individual nope.

There is no way anything particularly important can be subject to an NDA. Not in this case. They may have some things covered but I'd imagine the amount of caveats in these contracts render them pretty useless. I'd stake a good wager on that.

The WH doing it's usual on it of course.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Bolton didn't know he was being appointed, today.
    But sure why would he ? Did he know about April ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,134 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

When he starts firing the really competent folk like McMaster, one wonders how much longer he will last. I mean, really, what can possibly be going through his mind?

McMaster is too good an officer to kick to the roadside. There is talk about his being posted to command Eighth Army in Korea, which is a damned important billet and is due for rotation.

The hope seems to be Bolton will make it more professional behind the scenes, get rid of Obama people and cut the leaks.Whether that is true or not, I dunno, but its his worst appointment by a long shot.

Its a mega **** you to many on the right who naively hoped he would be an anti interventionist president. Its not the time to sneer at those people though, as Good God I dread to think what he is instructing a weak willed Trump on what to do regarding Iran.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/03/hiring-john-bolton-would-be-a-betrayal-of-donald-trumps-base/555020/?utm_source=twb

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement