Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion thread III

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Think some of those entries on your list of companies are actually the same one, just some website has parsed the companies register has swapped & and AND so making it appear in the list twice.

So you actually just have in that listing:
    Golf Club at Doonbeg
    Golf Links and Hotel Ireland
    Hotel and Golf Links Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,047 ✭✭✭✭listermint

robinph wrote: »
    Think some of those entries on your list of companies are actually the same one, just some website has parsed the companies register has swapped & and AND so making it appear in the list twice.

Golf Club at Doonbeg

begs the question why you would apply using the same name but back to front...

Thats not a website glitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,602 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/01/19/omarosa-trying-to-lawyer-up-may-have-secretly-taped-white-house-conversations.html

Could be interesting if there are secret recordings released of more conversations from the white house & there is anything new?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭demfad

I gave the info to the Clare Champion whow ere quick off the Mark:

http://clarechampion.ie/russian-gangsters-teamed-with-trump-on-doonbeg/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

listermint wrote: »

Golf Club at Doonbeg

begs the question why you would apply using the same name but back to front...

Thats not a website glitch.
    That's also not uncommon for companies wanting to protect their name.

• Advertisement

That's also not uncommon for companies wanting to protect their name.

Agreed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

They are just generic names anyways, we already have Portmarnock Hotel and Golf Links and many others, don't see what is being protected here?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Trump was speak8ng at an anti abortion rally today and announced the laws were too permissive and has to change

m.independent.ie/world-news/north-america/donald-trump-criticises-permissive-us-abortion-laws-at-rally-36509015.html

Planned parenthood may see their funding reduced
    Trump listed some anti-abortion measures his administration had taken, including an announcement earlier in the day by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. The agency said it was revoking Obama administration legal guidance that had sought to discourage states from trying to defund organizations that provide abortion services, such as Planned Parenthood.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I had to play this twice to make sure I heard him right. This man is an idiot. There’s no mental illness. Well, rampant narcissism. But listen to this. He’s an idiot.

https://twitter.com/todddracula/status/954410865993879558

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Looking at the Govt shut-down I get the idea that Don is pushing for it in order to be the deal-maker and rescuer and at the same time stomp the Senate into the ground [break it's power/drain the swamp]. The fact that it's his party that [nominally] controls and is struggling to come up with the GOP numbers to get something that'll satisfy him and them without help from the Dems doesn't mean squat to him.

I'd imagine that if they could cobble something together that would actually satisfy a normal president that he'd still shoot it down cause it had input from the Dems and nothing else, in the way that he said "not good enough" when the senators went to him with a deal they thought was all that could be got. I see it as being a huge ego trip to him by now, a TV show for the rust-bucket residents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,226 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

david75 wrote: »
    I had to play this twice to make sure I heard him right. This man is an idiot. There’s no mental illness. Well, rampant narcissism. But listen to this. He’s an idiot.

I was the same. Jesus he clearly doesn't know how long a human pregnancy is. Is he going to make the baby stay in the womb for 10 or 11 months ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

aloyisious wrote: »

I'd imagine that if they could cobble something together that would actually satisfy a normal president that he'd still shoot it down cause it had input from the Dems and nothing else, in the way that he said "not good enough" when the senators went to him with a deal they thought was all that could be got. I see it as being a huge ego trip to him by now, a TV show for the rust-bucket residents.
    He already shot down a bi-partisan deal because it let people from ****hole countries in.
    Any government shutdown is his doing. Cue Trump fans blaming the media/Democrats/Hillary Clinton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Trump summoning Schumer to the WH for a meeting would indicate he is looking for and very willing to do a deal. Its Trump, he doesn't actually have a fixed position anyway.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

On a bye-the-bye, does anyone know who Steve had as legal rep with him at the Committee meeting he had to attend the other day, like was it a lawyer regularly on hire by Breitbart or connected to any other party to the ongoing investigations, or was it some-one uconnected to the affair but respected in the courts? There's mention of his lawyer giving briefings after in ref to the allegations that Steve was under " W/House" instruction re presidential privilege on matters he became aware of while working for Don. I had a look online but couldn't find the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭pitifulgod

On a bye-the-bye, does anyone know who Steve had as legal rep with him at the Committee meeting he had to attend the other day, like was it a lawyer regularly on hire by Breitbart or connected to any other party to the ongoing investigations, or was it some-one uconnected to the affair but respected in the courts? There's mention of his lawyer giving briefings after in ref to the allegations that Steve was under " W/House" instruction re presidential privilege on matters he became aware of while working for Don. I had a look online but couldn't find the answer.

Same lawyer as Priebus and McGahn. He looks to have personally hired him on the 11th of January.
    https://www.politico.com/story/2018/01/19/steve-bannon-russia-investigation-lawyer-william-burck-351133

25% of first year in the golf club.

Theres a stat for ya. And people say presidents are busy......

listermint wrote: »
    25% of first year in the golf club.

Theres a stat for ya. And people say presidents are busy......

If he kept it up at this rate at the end of four years what percentage of the term would he have spent down there? I’m hopeless with math

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,606 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The same, its a percentage. A quarter. A week + in the month, 13 weeks in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,453 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-01-19/trump-and-republicans-risk-taking-blame-for-schumer-shutdown

my god this guy is transparent ....using childrens healthcare as a bargaining tool/smokescreen is fairly despicable/pathetic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,833 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

david75 wrote: »

I missed Bushisms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,694 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Looking at the Govt shut-down I get the idea that Don is pushing for it in order to be the deal-maker and rescuer and at the same time stomp the Senate into the ground [break it's power/drain the swamp]. The fact that it's his party that [nominally] controls and is struggling to come up with the GOP numbers to get something that'll satisfy him and them without help from the Dems doesn't mean squat to him.

Totally agree. This really could have been easily avoided. It was Trump that created the DACA issue in the 1st place, then made a deal then went back on it. Obviously now DNC what an agreement whilst they have some power.

But this is totally down to Trump wanting to be the saviour. Getting both sides to a deal, never mind that it was his fault the deal was needed in the 1st place.

Then everyone gets to be happy that POTUS was the deal maker, the man to save America.

The government is about to shut down and he’s hosting a 50k a plate inauguration anniversary dinner at his resort right now.

Priorities.

Thought he wasn't going due to the bill not being passed yet?

Did he change his plans again after announcing he wouldn't be leaving till the bill was passed? The dinner itself would still be on of course but I haven't seen anything on CNN the last hour or so I'm watching to suggest he is there and you would imagine they would enjoy mentioning that.

Open to correction of course

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Thought he wasn't going due to the bill not being passed yet?

Did he change his plans again after announcing he wouldn't be leaving till the bill was passed? The dinner itself would still be on of course but I haven't seen anything on CNN the last hour or so I'm watching to suggest he is there and you would imagine they would enjoy mentioning that.

Open to correction of course

Correcting myself. Apparently he didn’t go.

Shut down I doubt would bother him too much but missing a night all about kissing his ass and making him a truckload of money must have him apoplectic!

Graham has been out in front of the cameras speaking about how he is optimistic for the first time something is going to get done.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

He already shot down a bi-partisan deal because it let people from ****hole countries in.
    Any government shutdown is his doing. Cue Trump fans blaming the media/Democrats/Hillary Clinton.

Poll on CNN this evening saying a majority of folks think that averting a shutdown is more important than the DACA deal. Who is being served by the hold-off if it actually is DACA?

Listening to the radio the last few days, mass indignation from the local politicians because ICE have explicitly said that if California isn’t going to co-operate with federal immigration authorities, ICE are going to step up raids in the State. Local cities are starting defense programs for undocumented immigrants, and CA just passed a law penalizing folks who help ICE with jail time. Frankly, I think they have lost the plot. DACA I can understand, but this is just daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭jooksavage

The polls blaming the shutdown on Dems intransigence is wearingly predictable. Never mind that all the democrats and 7 republican senators said they'd be happy to vote for the Graham Durbin compromise.

The Dems should hold strong here; polls bedamned. Caving in on something like Daca, which has huge national support (even 64% of recently polled republicans are in favour of helping the dreamers) should not be countenanced. Blame for the last shutdown was laid squarely at the feet of the republicans and they ultimately backed down . Did it hurt them? Nope. They took the Senate the following year.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

They can’t. They need 60 senate votes, and they only have 51 Republicans. They need Democrat votes.

Interesting commentary from Schumer, implies that they are not far from a deal. Then, of course, Trump undiplomatically tweets about the “Schumer Shutdown”.

Anyway, we have two days. Most Fed workers aren’t working over the weekend. National parks are the big gap in coverage until Monday.

• Advertisement

With ref to Don, has he set up this office [To improve the working relationship with Congress, presidents in recent years have set up an Office of Legislative Affairs. Presidential aides have kept abreast of all important legislative activities]? I was wondering why the Senate [as a whole] doesn't say to Don: while you can convene or adjurn Congress, the deal-street is two-way, treat us with respect and you'll get the same in return, keep attacking our independence and you can forget any of your legislation being passed by us.

I see that Don can use the same power as Barak and other presidents did to issue Executive Orders to get past roadblocks on matters that he sees as natioally important and that he believes Congress wouldn't agree to.

Ta for the above, MM. I had forgotten the plan proposed by some GOP members to scrap the 60 senate numerical-vote rule in order to get one party's legisltion passed, and avoid time-out filibustering.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement