Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drug use & crime in city centre

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Brian Lighthouse

He's not though, and the crime statistics prove it.

Okay, post them up here for all to see. The crime statistics, that is. Go on, give us a link. Please, not court reports from the local media but actual crime statistics from either AGS or CSO. Let us all see together. It would be great for debate.
    Limerick is surrounded by social housing estates that are beyond refute "dodgy". The dogs in the street know it so trying to deny it is pure head in the sand nonsense.

This is a peach: '"Limerick is surrounded by social housing estates that are beyond refute "dodgy".'

Jaysus, I hope you don't have any relatives living in such deplorable places. They might read what you think about them.

Right, so let's go back to 1970s Limerick. Little bit of an economic boom, little bit of a population boom.
    The newly built houses in estates just a little bit out of town like Woodview, Shannon Banks and parts of Raheen among others, were commanding a price tag of between £3,000 and £3,500.
    While all this was going on there were campaigns about housing people - the less better off (as some might call them, although I've heard such people being termed by many a name) - and the Council built houses for THOSE people.

Now, let's move into 2018. Has anything changed?
    Essentially, no.

If you can afford a house, buy one.

If you are on the edge of affording a house, with rents climbing, what do you do? Aha, I know, you hope for social housing - 'cos the bank don't want your business.

So following on from that, there's campaigns for the government to build social housing and when they do young families (if they can) move in and create a community, raise their children, send them off into the world hoping that things will be better for the children when they grow up.

Then what happened after the 1970s
    People wanted to own property, they purchased their property from the council and, I think you will find - providing you actually look; rather than voice a prejudice - that the majority of houses in former council estates are privately owned.

Simultaneously in 2018, we have a housing crisis, everybody is talking about it. I wonder are there any calls for social housing at the moment?

What would you suggest the government/council do about it Vladimir?

So Monsieur Poontang - charming name by the way, I bet the ladies love it. I'm going to place my head firmly back into the sand with the knowledge that I can walk around Limerick City and its surrounds - regardless of where - knowing that at least 99% of the people I meet are decent, law-abiding citizens.

Regards
    Brian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭pxdf9i5cmoavkz

panda100 wrote: »
    I live in and walk around the city all the time and never see any drug use or crime. Maybe I'm completly oblivious to these sort of things but can't say I see it at all. Was in Dublin during the week and was very evident there.

So what you're saying is... you are the reason for all the crime in Limerick and when you are in Dublin you're no longer the top dog and so all you see is crime?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Vladimir Poontang

It's hilarious how in denial some people are about the sheer amount of scobes living in the estates around Limerick.

If I had a cent for every time I heard "it's only a small minority, the vast majority are decent blah blah bull***** I'd have enough money to regenerate these lovely estates ten times over.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It's hilarious how in denial some people are about the sheer amount of scobes living in the estates around Limerick.

If I had a cent for every time I heard "it's only a small minority, the vast majority are decent blah blah bull***** I'd have enough money to regenerate these lovely estates ten times over.

It's yourself that's in denial. Most people in these areas are normal law abiding citizens. It only needs a minority to cause trouble to give an area a bad name. Limericks image of being stab city to the rest of the country being a case in point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Vanquished wrote:
    I would tend to agree. A degenerate underclass seems to have been allowed to develop and fester in this country and the relevant authorities are either oblivious to it, are ignoring it or are entirely unwilling to confront it.

Criminality stems not from material deprivation but rather from dysfunctional family situations and poor parenting. This has been well illustrated in Limerick over the past three decades.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

I'm going to place my head firmly back into the sand with the knowledge that I can walk around Limerick City and its surrounds - regardless of where - knowing that at least 99% of the people I meet are decent, law-abiding citizens.

Regards
    Brian

So you're saying you would walk into Moyross, South Hill, the Hyde road, the island and other such areas at night on your own, confident in the fact that nothing will happen to you??

You're definitely in the minority there anyways, probably best to keep your head in the sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 I LOVE LIMERICK LIFE

davo2001 wrote: »
    So you're saying you would walk into Moyross, South Hill, the Hyde road, the island and other such areas at night on your own, confident in the fact that nothing will happen to you??

You're definitely in the minority there anyways, probably best to keep your head in the sand.

The areas you mentioned are the safest over all the camaras and high patrols of police if Im working I wear a suit if I walk over south hill I wear a tracksuit

Introducing
    PREJUDICE - a free and fun game for all the family!

How to play:
    Insert any word or combination of words (for maximum points) into the blank space of Vladimir's sentence below.

The most hilarious one wins!
    Here are some popular choices:

People with different genitals to me,
    People who, you know, line out for the other side,
    People who obviously don't need sunbeds,
    Those feckers coming over here taking our jobs,
    People who can barely speak the language,
    Feckers fleeing persecution,
    Limerick people

It's hilarious how in denial some people are about the sheer amount of ........................ living in the estates around Limerick.

GOTTA CATCH 'EM ALL!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

It’s gone very bad in Limerick a lot more addicts around than I’ve ever seen the last 2 years

Yes, and I do walk all over Limerick. If something did happen to me, it would be for one of two reasons
    1, I was involved in something I shouldn't be
    2, It was a case of sheer bad luck.

That's how I see it anyway.

I'd better add a postscript.
    There are issues with anti-social behaviour around town and it is a scourge for residents, AGS and the city council. Yes, there is crime too, theft and assaults being the main ones. All these issues need to be tackled by the many agencies involved in that area, but also by ourselves in our communities and across the city as a whole.
    I don't like when parts of the city are branded as no-go areas, it would be far more beneficial if we all could understand the reasons behind people getting involved in criminality and as a large community tackle the issues together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,928 ✭✭✭johnnyryan89

The areas you mentioned are the safest over all the camaras and high patrols of police if Im working I wear a suit if I walk over south hill I wear a tracksuit

Hahahaha

Mate I live in the Island and the patrols of police are anything but high, they are few and far between. As for the cameras they are a joke, with all their cameras you've still got rubbish being dumped, lads joy riding or hassling some families.

So, there are people still denying the fact that there are shíthole estates in this city where the the scum of Limerick come from and continue to breed at our expense. The same estates where the feuds started all those years ago that made innocent peoples lives hell. The same estates where all these feuds will kick off again. These are dangerous places for the majority. Cop the fcuk on!

We'll have another thread here in 2038 about the exact same issue and it will be the same estates and the same families.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭geotrig

Jesus this thread !!!!
    I've walked through most of those over the years at night and felt no more threatened than i have walking in any city at night time .

Do i know people who have been mugged / jumped /beaten up ! yes even in one of the "areas" that someone here deemed a "safe" area!
    do we need more patrols ,garda presence ? yes but this again is not unique to limerick and is an on going issue nationally !

I must avoid corbally as it sounds worse than one of the slums in a 3rd world country :rolleyes: I had a friend set upon a good few years ago ,with sever injuries , it was not related to any area , just wrong place at the wrong time
    Is there an increased drug usage /addicts? Yes ,but this is everywhere and no reflection on limerick. In fact i think we are not as bad as other places. Have you walked around dublin recently !! morning ,noon or night !
    Are the youths /beggers a problem ? yes again not a limerick only problem even to some extent not even uniquely an Irish problem.

Are there rough area's in limerick , Yes ! but like just dont go there !

The "stab city " tag is nonsense really i dont think we really had anymore stabbings than anywhere else at the time maybe 1/2 more than small towns but it just happened to fit the narrative that some gave limerick !

Do limerick people have a chip on their shoulder ! yes , this thread ! even I do looking back at my post !!!!:pac:

media /news etc these days tends to, from my opinion, prey on fears and has a narrative to spread fear as it seems to sell ! hell if i was to base any travel on what the news outlets report id never leave my house !

So, there are people still denying the fact that there are shíthole estates in this city where the the scum of Limerick come from and continue to breed at our expense. The same estates where the feuds started all those years ago that made innocent peoples lives hell. The same estates where all these feuds will kick off again. These are dangerous places for the majority. Cop the fcuk on!

We'll have another thread here in 2038 about the exact same issue and it will be the same estates and the same families.

You don't get it either do you?
    You're also sweeping the tar brush across the city.

There are career criminals, crime exists and future criminals are recruited from the gangs of youths involved in anti-social behaviour, however not every single person on a street, in an estate, in a city is involved in criminality.

To suggest that whole estates are teaming with scrounging scum is discriminatory.

Imagine the outcry if I said that all Africans were something, or all LGBT were another thing, or even all women were that thing. You could bet that I would be lambasted on this. While on the other hand it appears that it is perfectly in order to think that ALL living in a certain area are scum. How does that make sense?

Yes, there are people out there who have no regard for their fellow citizens or the laws of the land, and there is a whole network of agencies out there charged with dealing with that element. Sometimes they win and sometimes they lose.

But to tar everyone with the same brush due to their economic, educational or professional status being different to yours is plain wrong.

There's my tupennce ha'penny on the matter.

I'll still walk around town while saying hello to people I meet, because 99% are sound, like.

All the best
    Brian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Sin City wrote: »
    Iv lived here all my life and Iv walked that bridge in corablly at 1 2 3 4 5 and 6am

Never have I been mugged or threatened

I was randomly punched in the face there too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

I was randomly punched in the face there too

Did you report it?

Yes I'm prejudiced against scumbags. Guilty as charged.

Yes I'm prejudiced against scumbags. Guilty as charged.

Not true, according to your post (no 58, on this thread), you hold a prejudice against everyone in housing estates that surround the city and what you term 'beyond refute "dodgy".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Donald is that you?

Granted the estates arent generally nicely designed and often have boarded up/burnt out houses, but I dont think I'd be afraid to walk through them. I drive through them often enough and I've never seen any issues, bar a few flouting of the laws of the land.

Go up Henry street after Limerick Post building it’s a dangerous area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

anyone know how island view terrace compares to the rest of the island , two rows of red brick terraced houses ? , obviously still on the island but its always appears quiet the few times ive been there , do the st marys park residents use it as a short cut towards town ?

a relative is thinking of renting a room there for six months
    Probably not the right thread but I knew a family that lived there and it allays seemed ok to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

bigpink wrote: »
    Go up Henry street after Limerick Post building it’s a dangerous area

No it's not, i live on S.C.R. and walk Upper Henry Street 4 times a day. Never felt unsafe and never saw anything dodgy happening. A few winos walking to McGarry House but they just keep moving.

source wrote: »
    No it's not, i live on S.C.R. and walk Upper Henry Street 4 times a day. Never felt unsafe and never saw anything dodgy happening. A few winos walking to McGarry House but they just keep moving.

McGarry house is drink and drug house now
    Drug dealing openly outside quick pick old stand also outside bar one bookies and the other newsagents.They do be waiting for the old stand off licence to open every morning
    Addicts then need a fix they rob a car or bag etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

bigpink wrote: »
    McGarry house is drink and drug house now
    And it only cost the taxpayer €7,311,373 in 2016 to keep it open.
    https://benefacts.ie/org/31756c5d-65c8-44b6-a0e8-cf5bb47fa9e3/arlington-novas-ireland-company-limited-by-guarantee

Upper Henry Street is turning into another Upper William Street. Junkies and winos galore. Was followed by one junkie screaming abuse at me a few weeks ago around 9pm because he wanted some change.

Followed me all the way from the Church near Mary I to down past Subway.

I'm able to handle myself but it was intimidating. How do you think a woman or old person would feel?

And they have a new nightly place up on Edward street aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

That Eimear that was drunk and on the ground in William Street tonight should be charged for the ambulance that called out to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mart 23

Is Vladimir and BigPink the same poster

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

From what I know of a few people from rough Limerick places, they could be hard as nails if you're not nice to them for some reason, but they were lovely to me. It's only people skulking around town while in the grip of a bad addiction that you need to watch out for, 'cause they might do things due to being under the influence.

I was in Limerick recently and walking down Cruises St.
    A very drugged-up looking man was walking in my direction, kind of gurning and making weird hand motions (dancing?!) as he walked along. I noticed he had eyes like plates. There was a big crowd so I wasn't worried and he annoyed me as he came too close to me and blurbled something incoherent in Limerglish (sorry Limerick people but with 7 + versions of an accent, some of them are going to be hard to understand). I was in the mood to knee him in the jewels, but a big tall red haired man put his sandwich down, shook his head at me and started to come over. The creepy one went on his way, fortunately. Reminds you that most people are completely normal, and there's more of them than the bad ones.

*Big redhead was at a cafe to the left of the paved path area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mart 23

From what I know of a few people from rough Limerick places, they could be hard as nails if you're not nice to them for some reason, but they were lovely to me. It's only people skulking around town while in the grip of a bad addiction that you need to watch out for, 'cause they might do things due to being under the influence.

I was in Limerick recently and walking down Cruises St.
    A very drugged-up looking man was walking in my direction, kind of gurning and making weird hand motions (dancing?!) as he walked along. I noticed he had eyes like plates. There was a big crowd so I wasn't worried and he annoyed me as he came too close to me and blurbled something incoherent in Limerglish (sorry Limerick people but with 7 + versions of an accent, some of them are going to be hard to understand). I was in the mood to knee him in the jewels, but a big tall red haired man put his sandwich down, shook his head at me and started to come over. The creepy one went on his way, fortunately. Reminds you that most people are completely normal, and there's more of them than the bad ones.

*Big redhead was at a cafe to the left of the paved path area

Yet another creative writer poster. Its threads like this that bring their talents to the fore.

Advertisement