Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gran Fondo Belfast 2018

Options
  • 12-01-2018 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

Hi all,

After last year’s debacle of a Belfast Gran Fondo, does anyone know if there will be one in 2018?

I remember reading somewhere that the “organizers”, (cough, cough, D McDaid) had a license to run the event for 3 years. And onwards if successful, but after the negative press over year’s event I think a lot of people were left with a bad taste in their mouths, sorry couldn’t resist! :p

So not sure if anyone has heard otherwise, or has heard anything.
    As I really enjoyed the experience of the route\closed roads\people on the roadside and general atmosphere among the cyclists.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I hope it goes on again, it could a great event in my opinion.
    Food at the finish last was a disgrace, as was having to take off shoes, in the rain, before being allowed to park bikes on the artificial grass of the Hockey pitch.
    After last year's event, I formed the firm impression that it would be the last year.
    There seemed to be a lack of interest on the part of the organisers.
    It's a pity, because it has great potential. The closed roads are wonderful. The P.S.N.I. do a great job as do the Marshals and Moto marshals.

Shame really, it could be among the best sportives on the Island.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Never done it, but know plenty who have, but I struggle to see the attraction of sitting in the middle of this. And paying £65 for the pleasure.

_96358119_fonfo.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭JKC

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I hope it goes on again, it could a great event in my opinion.
    Food at the finish last was a disgrace, as was having to take off shoes, in the rain, before being allowed to park bikes on the artificial grass of the Hockey pitch.
    After last year's event, I formed the firm impression that it would be the last year.
    There seemed to be a lack of interest on the part of the organisers.
    It's a pity, because it has great potential. The closed roads are wonderful. The P.S.N.I. do a great job as do the Marshals and Moto marshals.

Shame really, it could be among the best sportives on the Island.

Completely forgot, or wiped from my mind the whole "remove your shoes before entering the hockey pitch"nonsense.

Also the start/finish in the Titanic quarter was better organized with the different pools advising of the speed groups at the start, and if people were waiting for you at the end.

Even if some of the local clubs organized a sportive using a similar route, I sure they could do a great job, as they a well supported by there members. I would attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭JKC

el tel wrote: »
    Never done it, but know plenty who have, but I struggle to see the attraction of sitting in the middle of this. And paying £65 for the pleasure.

_96358119_fonfo.jpg

That’s the first climb, Dree Hill, comes about 40km into the cycle. Last year was a disaster on Dree Hill, as literally everyone hit the climb at the same time, and the road goes into a single lane. Which causes a huge bottleneck.

People were just stopping, and start falling over. A load had to walk up a section of climb, myself included. It was almost comical.

Regarding the £65 entry cost, is overpriced, considering the quality of the food on offer. And the useless “goodie bag”. Although early entries get a free Castelli jersey.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

I did it last year, shambles of an organisation behind it, would not go near anything those promoters are ever involved in again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Closed roads were the highlight of this every year for me. Could really enjoy the descents as well as the climbs.

It was never going to be more than the 3 years as part of the Giro package though.
    So much disruption to such a large part of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Shoco83

Did it twice and loved it both times, just start closer to the front if you don't want to get caught up in traffic, it was very easy to move close to the front at stormount last year

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

The route was tough and really enjoyable, the closed roads superb and the marshalling second to none. I don't enter events for the food after or goody bags and would have done this again in a shot this year (did last 2 years). Food at stops was poor but tbh usually bring my own and don't rely on whats on offer. The jersey as part of the 65 was a nice piece of kit though it was expensive.
    IMO the organisers put the priority on the route, the safety and the closed roads.
    Hard to put food at the end in front of those...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

RobFowl wrote: »
    The route was tough and really enjoyable, the closed roads superb and the marshalling second to none. I don't enter events for the food after or goody bags and would have done this again in a shot this year (did last 2 years). Food at stops was poor but tbh usually bring my own and don't rely on whats on offer. The jersey as part of the 65 was a nice piece of kit though it was expensive.
    IMO the organisers put the priority on the route, the safety and the closed roads.
    Hard to put food at the end in front of those...

The organisers put the priority on their own profit. Skimped on food for that reason imho.
    The food was non existent at the stops along the route, what was available at the end was actually the best of it.

Advertisement