Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House inspection

Options
  • 12-01-2018 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm selling my property and the tenant is due to hand over the keys next week. Does anyone have any advice about inspecting the house, i.e. different things to check etc. This is the first time I have done this and I'd appreciate advice from any experienced landlords.

Obviously I'd have a checklist with the Inventory but is there anything non-obvious I should be checking...

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

Just check you get all sets of keys. If possible get someone to stay.

My friend did an inspection before Christmas for her house which was fine...house was vacant overnight...next day everything gone. No forced entry. Alarm deactivated. Mobile of tenant turned off. No proof...but seems very coincidental.

Other than that check everything working. My aunt rents in Australia and has an inspection every three months. It seems a little onerous but has a certain logic to it but the landlord comes and 'lives a day in the life'. So she comes and literally carries out her day to day in the house i.e. shower, cook whatever. I'm not saying she actually has the shower or makes a meal which would be odd but follows the day to day life if what a tenant would expect. It is every three months and my aunt is up to 90 beforehand.

Oh and take photos in case of disputes.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Hi All,

I'm selling my property and the tenant is due to hand over the keys next week. Does anyone have any advice about inspecting the house, i.e. different things to check etc. This is the first time I have done this and I'd appreciate advice from any experienced landlords.

Obviously I'd have a checklist with the Inventory but is there anything non-obvious I should be checking...

Thanks in advance!

Check the attic, shed etc. Dumping is expensive. Make sure you transfer the utilities back same day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Change all locks, and check attic/warcrobes/etc for dumping.

Did the tenant act the maggot at all over the tenancy?

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SmallgirlBigcity

Great advice from everyone, thanks so much. No the tenants were actually fantastic, so I don't expect any problems from them. Checking the attic is something I wouldn't have thought of, thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Don't confuse wear and tear with damage would be my 1c.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thereality

I would change the barrel of the hall door lock. They are cheap enough from a builders merchant and super easy to replace. You are then sure that the tenant will not be able to enter the house again

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

Great advice from everyone, thanks so much. No the tenants were actually fantastic, so I don't expect any problems from them. Checking the attic is something I wouldn't have thought of, thanks!

Most dont and it can be an expensive surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

Personally, I would make an arrangement with the tenant to view the property at least several days beforehand so that you can point out any issues and give the tenant time to rectify them before vacating. It can save a lot of aggro later.

Advertisement