Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Dunshaughlin news

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭tara83

rizzee wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat too. 4 of us yet to organise anything. Thinking of heading over to Ashbourne and going from there, it's straight up the road really :)

If it were me I'd always go from Navan. Generally quicker as all the Dublin crowd come from the Ashbourne side. Plenty of buses doing runs from Navan as well

• Registered Users Posts: 3 GerFitz19

Super thanks everyone for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

Has anyone had Virgin Fiber installed? How did they get the cable from the street to your house? Dig the garden or driveway??

• Registered Users Posts: 1 johnshaw101

Don't know if anyone has heard the same but 2 foreman off two different housing sites told me that Dun Rioga was approached by the body that deals with social housing and they want to buy the estate off them...I think castlethorn make them houses and their thinking about it as they are not selling well......that will be about 80 social houses in one estate!!!! iv no problem with people on social as not everyone has the same opportunity's as others but their are some that play the system and cause trouble, i think if this is true and it seems to be it will cause problems down the road...the town will not able to handle that.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Exile59

That's shocking if it is true. I really hope it's not. Obviously the majority of people on social housing are fine, but it will inevitably have a negative impact on the town.

There seems to be little to no houses sold at all in Dun Rioga. Strange...I thought there was a housing crisis. you'd think for a town that's twenty minutes to the outskirts of Dublin and fifteen to Blanch there would be more interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 SM24308

I've bought in Phase 2 Dun Rioga. Phase 1 is almost sold out and Most of phase 2 is also sold. None of the houses are completed yet but from being out there most have been sold to I don't know what the foremen have been saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Argo foc yourself

Anyone know what is moving into the unit beside the credit union... used to be the off licence. seems to be somebody kitting it out at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭jjmcclure

jjmcclure wrote: »
    Has anyone had Virgin Fiber installed? How did they get the cable from the street to your house? Dig the garden or driveway??

FYI they are using the old NTL ducting that's already in the estates. No digging.

Anyone know what is moving into the unit beside the credit union... used to be the off licence. seems to be somebody kitting it out at the moment

Probably another hairdressers. Or maybe a computer and phone repair shop. We could do with another one of those in Dunshaughlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Exile59 wrote: »
    Probably another hairdressers. Or maybe a computer and phone repair shop. We could do with another one of those in Dunshaughlin.

:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I heard it's the lemon tree Chinese takeaway

Yea I stuck my head in and asked the last day and the Asian lad who seemed like the owner said it was a Chinese takeaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Borderfox wrote: »

The one in Ratoath is pretty good. Would be a welcome addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Archiebello

That's shocking if it is true. I really hope it's not. Obviously the majority of people on social housing are fine, but it will inevitably have a negative impact on the town.

There seems to be little to no houses sold at all in Dun Rioga. Strange...I thought there was a housing crisis. you'd think for a town that's twenty minutes to the outskirts of Dublin and fifteen to Blanch there would be more interest.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin//showthread.php?p=110249724. The above link mentions there are ESB connection delays with the Dun Rioga site even though a large volume of units were sold. There have been a number of comments about this on Dunshaughlin Grapevine Facebook page too. Would hope Castlethorn are being transparent with the volume of social units with those who put down deposits if these rumours are true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Maysa07

Borderfox wrote: »

It's exactly what the village needs, Another Chinese takeaway :rolleyes:

Would love to see another gym in the village. I'm a member of the one at the school but sometimes it's just too packed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

There is a 10KM race tomorrow evening in Dunshaglin so be aware for traffic etc.

7pm to 9pm will be locked down, here is the race route :
    Start on the R125 close to the Water Tower.
    At the first roundabout take first exit towards Dunshaughlin and continue onto the main street.
    At The Village Grill turn left and stay left around the next bend.
    At the next junction turn right onto the R125 towards Ratoath until you come to cross roads at 5.7km
    Take the right at this cross roads and after 400 metres you will pass over a small bridge where you will
    turn right again (sign posted for Dunshaughlin).
    Continue straight along this road until you come to the finish.

I actually know a couple with a fourteen year old young fella and a five year old girl who moved to Dunshaughlin last year from the outskirts of Dublin. They really haven't settled and reckon they'll be looking to move back towards Dublin in the next year or so. Felt it was a big mistake making the move due to the total lack of amenities, not only for the kids, but for them as a couple.

It's a pity really. I thought there would be some kind of surge in businesses opening in Dunshaughlin in the last year correlating with the explosion in housing, but nothing really. And there doesn't seem to be anything on the horizon.

Apart from Chinese takeaways. And hairdressers. And mobile phone repair shops.

I moved here in November. Not expecting there to be a surge in amenities to come online immediately.

I do miss having a good off license for craft beers the most !

But im in Blanchardstown most weekends so can get my fix there.

Have a 9 month old child so getting out isn't that important to us at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭foxatron

. The above link mentions there are ESB connection delays with the Dun Rioga site even though a large volume of units were sold. There have been a number of comments about this on Dunshaughlin Grapevine Facebook page too. Would hope Castlethorn are being transparent with the volume of social units with those who put down deposits if these rumours are true.

I was up at the open viewings today in Dun Rioga. In phase 2 three houses have been allocated for social housing. According to Sherryfitz anyway. They reckoned phase 2 wouldnt be ready until March/April 2020

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ciaran76 wrote: »
    I moved here in November. Not expecting there to be a surge in amenities to come online immediately.

I do miss having a good off license for craft beers the most !

But im in Blanchardstown most weekends so can get my fix there.

Have a 9 month old child so getting out isn't that important to us at the moment.

We could do with another pub tbh, one that actually has IPA's/Craft beers. Dunshaughlin pubs still serve just the old classics, 'Guinness, Budweiser, Heinekin, Carlsberg and Smithwicks' and that choice gets boring very quickly.

We could also do with another decent restaurant, a hotel, leisure center with pool, a proper newsagent, a Centra like the one in Ratoath with a large deli/coffee shop. When all the houses are built we will eventually need more shops, perhaps a retail park.

Gonzo wrote: »
    We could do with another pub tbh, one that actually has IPA's/Craft beers. Dunshaughlin pubs still serve just the old classics, 'Guinness, Budweiser, Heinekin, Carlsberg and Smithwicks' and that choice gets boring very quickly.

We could also do with another decent restaurant, a hotel, leisure center with pool, a proper newsagent, a Centra like the one in Ratoath with a large deli/coffee shop. When all the houses are built we will eventually need more shops, perhaps a retail park.

I've had Bru a few times in Lawless the Stout on tap and they had IPA in bottles but didn't see it Saturday. Apart from that I've seen nothing.

A pool would be great as I still bring my son to Blanchardstown every Saturday for his classes.

I know Super Value has a great deli counter but to be honest I hate going in there. Especially during the busy times as parking and getting out of the place is a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Metalpanic

Not in the village granted, but Conway's on the Fairyhouse Road has a Dominos and a very good selection of craft beers in its off licence. The pool in the Pillo Hotel Ashbourne is nice and never uncomfortably busy to bring kids.

Unfortunately Dunshaughlin is in a downturn hangover, new business will be watching until footfall in the village increases before opening I think. This was not helped by a certain prominent business owner blocking new shops opening in the past. Hopefully this is not the case anymore!

Yea I agree with all of the above. Dunshaughlin desperately needs a good store like the Centra in Ratoath or Conway's on the Fairyhouse Road. And it really needs a good restaurant or two. a nice gastro bar would do well.

I went for a stroll over the weekend and saw there's a place called 'Cookies Early Learning Centre opening up in the units in Maelduin.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Archiebello

Gonzo wrote: »

‘When all the houses are built’ is the key point here. Proposed houses and actual completions are two very different things.
    If you count the number of completed homes around the village in the last 5 years it totals about 300. The addition of a Lidl,Costa, third chemist and a third primary school is not bad going for what in urban development terms is not a huge population increase. As Metalpanic points out above private investment, will not be willing to throw down money until they see increased footfall. It easy to forget that Ratoath has close to twice the population of here and as a result have far greater selection of retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭maik3n

SIRO have been doing a lot of work around the main street recently.

Eir have also been out around in some of the estates.
    I'm not sure what Eir are up to but I hope they are upgrading the lines to provide better fibre services for people who may be further away from the exchanges. :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

maik3n wrote: »
    SIRO have been doing a lot of work around the main street recently.

Eir have also been out around in some of the estates.
    I'm not sure what Eir are up to but I hope they are upgrading the lines to provide better fibre services for people who may be further away from the exchanges. :(

as far as I know all new estates are being cabled for Fibre to the Home by Eir. They have more or less stopped using copper in new estates as Eir are finally moving away from that outdated technology.

Eir are also starting a new Fibre to the home rollout in urban areas from next year and Dunshaughlin is one of the towns listed in this plan. This is not to be confused with the existing fibre to the home rollout in more rural areas around Dunshaughlin, work on that is already completed in the area.

All this activity from Siro, Virgin and Eir is great for Dunshaughlin. Just a few year's ago there was no fibre here part from copper based fibre to the cabinets serving the urban part of Dunshaughlin. The Dunshaughlin area as a whole has seen huge investment in fibre which started in 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Branner1

I actually know a couple with a fourteen year old young fella and a five year old girl who moved to Dunshaughlin last year from the outskirts of Dublin. They really haven't settled and reckon they'll be looking to move back towards Dublin in the next year or so. Felt it was a big mistake making the move due to the total lack of amenities, not only for the kids, but for them as a couple.

It's a pity really. I thought there would be some kind of surge in businesses opening in Dunshaughlin in the last year correlating with the explosion in housing, but nothing really. And there doesn't seem to be anything on the horizon.

Apart from Chinese takeaways. And hairdressers. And mobile phone repair shops.

Hi Exile59,

Different strokes etc but there are amenties here that could keep kids entertained with a bit of effort such as the GAA team with a fantastic club and pitch, a soccer team, pitch and putt, a gym, a running club, the annual harvest fest etc..
    with blanch and navan 15-20 mins away also to me it is a great location to live.
    We moved here 4 yrs ago and couldnt be happier. There is a lot to be said for living in a village/ country area.

Mass produced housing estates and lack of a friendly hello while out having a walk is what will keep me living here.

I hope the large scale development plans for Dunshaughlin don’t ruin the area though.
    Anyway as I said different strokes for different folks

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

Anyone else hear the cars rallying up and down the link road (R125) between the motorway and the Trim road last night? It was going on for at least 2 hours straight from around 7-9. I was surprised it was as lasting that long with no Garda presence.

• Advertisement

Anyone else hear the cars rallying up and down the link road (R125) between the motorway and the Trim road last night? It was going on for at least 2 hours straight from around 7-9. I was surprised it was as lasting that long with no Garda presence.

That happens quite a lot. I run on that road 4 times a week and at least once a week cars do be bombing it down, sometimes even racing each other.

Advertisement