Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Dunshaughlin news

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Exile59

red_bairn wrote: »
    Was this perhaps on a Wednesday?

I was up there too recently but my other half thought I was relating to the sewage. For Phase 2 should be sorted for the utilities.

No, this was on a Saturday a few weeks back. They definitely said it was the power as we had a similar issue with our estate a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Jayball09

Good morning folks. We moved into the area about 6 weeks ago. Settling in nicely and loving the town! Well all except... the dreaded 109!!!

I'm more posting this on behalf of my wife who is suffering with this bus in the morning. I drive into Dublin for work and leave a lot earlier than she does so she needs to take the bus. It seems like its almost always late, sometimes not even turning up and no information on the electronic board. My wife has been late for work numerous times now and is getting worried she might be getting in trouble. I know you might be thinking "just get an earlier bus!" but she works in a hospital on the southside of Dublin, works 10 hour shifts and already gets up mad early compared to her starting times. She is planning on moving jobs and learning to drive in the future but that is down the road (excuse the pun....) due to us being busy getting the house together and what not...

I've seen a few threads on the matter now so I know its common knowledge that this bus is a disaster. Are all Bus Eireann buses like this for commuters in the morning? Is it down to the drivers or what? Speaking of drivers, she was really late coming home there the other week. Driver was busy chatting up some young girls and took the wrong turn on one of the roundabouts ending up back on the M3 for ages according to the wife. That's shocking!

Has any complaints gone into Bus Eireann? I'm sure single complaints usually fall on deaf ears but if there was a collective complaint put in or a petition of some kind done maybe something could be done? Is anybody pally with the local TDs? I know its probably asking a bit much but I believe there is strength in numbers so if theres anything that can be done or organized im all ears.

Thanks for taking the time to read my rant. Although it doesnt affect me directly, seeing the missus stressed over this is not nice and gets me stressed too. Unhappy wife = unhappy life!

Cheers,

Jay

P.S. For those who are still thinking "Just give her a lift ya stingey feicer", I'm up and out the door at 3:45am ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Unfortunately the 109/109A has a bad enough reputation. Have complained 2/3 times in the past (109a to airport, buses just didn't show up) and the usual generic reply!

I travel to Citywest from the village every morning, I'd offer a lift but my morning starts are changable

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Metalpanic

I commute by bus every day and yes there is more trouble with reliability now than there has been in the past. BE have a very large number of their newer buses out of action due to rusting apparently! From my observations, if you are getting a bus between 7-8.30 am going to Dublin, by and large it will show up and mostly be on time. After that, best of luck. The only other option is to get a lift to the M3 Parkway and get one of the limited number of trains going from there, or go with a private bus like Sillan's. They have 2 stops in the village and from what I hear very reliable. Only issue may be if your wife is coming home very late from work, they have a much more limited service than BE.

Oh and I should have said, welcome to the Village!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 lmarieloos

Depending on what hospital your wife works in the Sillan Bus that goes from the village outside Foleys goes all the way to UCD. Unfortunately I think that the last bus home in the evening is around 7p.m. However I have found that the 109 from Busaras is more reliable timewise. The train from M3 parkway is excellent, gets to Docklands in 40 mins or so. She could get off the train at Broombridge and change to the Luas although this would add significantly to her travel time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

For those who commute into Dublin for work how do you get there and how much does it cost you per month? Trying to figure out the travel options in Dunshaughlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

For those who commute into Dublin for work how do you get there and how much does it cost you per month? Trying to figure out the travel options in Dunshaughlin.

I work in Airways on a double day shift and use the car, 70km per day and costs about €45 in petrol a week

Borderfox wrote: »
    I work in Airways on a double day shift and use the car, 70km per day and costs about €45 in petrol a week

But you also have to pay the toll on the motorway as well. So another 3 per day?

But you also have to pay the toll on the motorway as well. So another 3 per day?

I leave at 5am on early shift so don't need to use the toll (M3)

Borderfox wrote: »
    I leave at 5am on early shift so don't need to use the toll (M3)

How does that work? How does leaving earlier in the morning allow you not to pay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

How does that work? How does leaving earlier in the morning allow you not to pay?

I'd imagine he doesn't use the M3 motorway and instead uses the R147 therefore avoiding the toll.

I use the old N3 into fairyhouse and get on the M3 there, more time means not in a hurry and can take my time, enjoy the scenery

2-4 tolls a day for me. 5 days a week. Dunshaughlin to Saggart. Plus 80 euro every 2-2.5 weeks on diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Archiebello

Hey Jayball09,

Welcome to Dunshaughlin.
    The following article outlines the process for Bus Éireann complaints. Apparently us Meath folk don’t report as much issues as other bus routes. Not sure if that’s just Bus Éireann’s eccuse. On the local TD front. Thomas Byrne And Cllr Gerry O Connor seem to be the most vocal on transport issues in the area. If emailing Bus Éireann I would cc the NTA (National Transport Authority) as that assist in the complaint being taken more seriously.

https://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2019/04/16/4172681-complaining-about--poor-bus-services-is-crucial--byrne/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The Bus Eireann service for Dunshaughlin has gotten alot worse over the years, especially after the motorway opened, half the buses became Navan or Kells NX services which by-pass Dunshaughlin, so half the amount of buses stop in Dunshaughlin, compared to every 109 previously. If the 109 bound for Dunshaughlin is full, they tend to then just go the motorway and you can be left standing for up to an hour or more when that happens.

Gonzo wrote: »
    The Bus Eireann service for Dunshaughlin has gotten alot worse over the years, especially after the motorway opened, half the buses became Navan or Kells NX services which by-pass Dunshaughlin, so half the amount of buses stop in Dunshaughlin, compared to every 109 previously. If the 109 bound for Dunshaughlin is full, they tend to then just go the motorway and you can be left standing for up to an hour or more when that happens.

My experience is that while it’s has gotten more reliable heading towards Dublin, the same can’t be said for traveling to Navan. I do find heading towards Dublin in the mornings there are less packed buses leaving people standing at the stop compared to 3/4 years ago prior to the route changes. The fact there are some Dunshaughlin only buses has helped this. One gripe I have is the 109B drivers not knowing the route. They frequently ask the person sitting closest to them at Busaras if they are going to Trim and if so to direct them from Dunshaughlin. My worst experience was a few weeks ago when the driver took the Trim exit at Fairyhouse roundabout, continued to the roundabout near Drumree before turning around and driving the entire way back to Fairyhouse cross to get back on the route. Not sure if this was the same bus as Jayball09 wife but it was a 7.15pm 109B. Added a good 20 mins to the journey home.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭maik3n

Yay, another food establishment for our little village :P
    http://wokpok.ie/

Setting up shop in the old off license premises i believe.

maik3n wrote: »
    Yay, another food establishment for our little village :P
    http://wokpok.ie/

Setting up shop in the old off license premises i believe.

Same owner as the Apache across from it & Apache/Lemontree in Ratoath.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

rizzee wrote: »
    Same owner as the Apache across from it & Apache/Lemontree in Ratoath.

Not the type of food establishment the village needs IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

Agreed...if we could swap two or three take-away joints for a decent restaurant, would be a better scenario...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

CUCINA wrote: »
    Agreed...if we could swap two or three take-away joints for a decent restaurant, would be a better scenario...

A good Indian restaurant would be nice.

I agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

In fairness the guy who runs/owns Lemon Tree, it's a very nice Chinese takeaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

Few weeks ago on the bank holiday had to go to Caldwells Ratoath as nothing of the sort open in Dunshaughlin,place was rammed

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

A320 wrote: »
    Few weeks ago on the bank holiday had to go to Caldwells Ratoath as nothing of the sort open in Dunshaughlin,place was rammed

yeah we badly need a good coffee shop (apart from costa) that is open 7 days. Caldwells is fab. There was talk of them opening in the old Snug Kitchen beside Supervalu but that fell through unfortunately.

andreac wrote: »
    yeah we badly need a good coffee shop (apart from costa) that is open 7 days. Caldwells is fab. There was talk of them opening in the old Snug Kitchen beside Supervalu but that fell through unfortunately.

That’s a pity. Love Caldwells.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

I think what epitomises the situation in Dunshaughlin is the the Golden Phoenix "restaurant" being empty for 51 weeks of the year, then jammers during the Harvest Festival...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Maysa07

I don't think Dunshaughlin has the market for a restaurant just yet. Some have opened over the years only to close their doors quiet quick. I would say we are stuck with takeaways for now.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Maysa07 wrote: »
    I don't think Dunshaughlin has the market for a restaurant just yet. Some have opened over the years only to close their doors quiet quick. I would say we are stuck with takeaways for now.

Dunshaughlin definitely has a market for a decent restaurant. There are many small villages around Ireland, much smaller than Dunshaughlin with some very good and busy restaurants.

The problem with Dunshaughlin is that we've had no restaurants for decades, and most people living here will go to either Navan, Ratoath, Ashbourne or somewhere around Dublin for a meal and we've all gotten used to that.

Massimo's in Dunshaughlin is good but they are an Italian restaurant with no pizza oven so no pizza's, and that definitely hurts their footfall.

There was a decent Italian restaurant in Dunshaughlin nearly a decade ago behind Ivy Hall in a terrible location, they didn't do any marketing and they closed. Once that closed, an Indian restaurant opened and they didn't do any marketing either, not sure the place even lasted a month. That same unit has been empty for the past 5 years. (now there is new apartments being built right beside it).

All we have right now is the Shibin, which in my view is completely overpriced for pub grub and Massimo's which has no pizzas.

There is definitely a market here for a decent restaurant with extensive menu, a nice atmosphere and perhaps some craft beers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Metalpanic

Gonzo wrote: »
    Dunshaughlin definitely has a market for a decent restaurant. There are many small villages around Ireland, much smaller than Dunshaughlin with some very good and busy restaurants.

The problem with Dunshaughlin is that we've had no restaurants for decades, and most people living here will go to either Navan, Ratoath, Ashbourne or somewhere around Dublin for a meal and we've all gotten used to that.

Massimo's in Dunshaughlin is good but they are an Italian restaurant with no pizza oven so no pizza's, and that definitely hurts their footfall.

There was a decent Italian restaurant in Dunshaughlin nearly a decade ago behind Ivy Hall in a terrible location, they didn't do any marketing and they closed. Once that closed, an Indian restaurant opened and they didn't do any marketing either, not sure the place even lasted a month. That same unit has been empty for the past 5 years. (now there is new apartments being built right beside it).

All we have right now is the Shibin, which in my view is completely overpriced for pub grub and Massimo's which has no pizzas.

There is definitely a market here for a decent restaurant with extensive menu, a nice atmosphere and perhaps some craft beers.

Totally agree. It's chicken and egg stuff, more business more footfall, more business. At the moment choices are Sibin (decent food but you pay for it), Massimos (not eaten in it but heard it is nothing special) and Costa, if you want to get out and meet someone. Takeaways almost keep us in a commuter belt mentality, go to work, come home, takeaway and stay in your home!

I ate in both iterations of restaurants behind Ivy Hall and they were both good. It's a pity neither lasted, but the location/timing was terrible. I remember the Indian Restaurant lasted a while, I ate there a few times and the staff were lovely. They used to give extra sides for free and when you got a takeaway they would throw in a free can.

Advertisement