Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Dunshaughlin news

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Just seen them there, hope people have wellies! It's going to be mental this weekend, especially with the influx of new families over the last few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Exile59

I think the more amusements, the more scary straw men, the more fuss and effort made in Dunshaughlin this weekend, the better!

As someone from outside the area I think it really is such a great reflection of the town and brings a great sense of community spirit and a little bit of pride to the place. Far too many towns like Ashbourne and Ratoath are over run with us outsiders and are totally losing their sense of identity (how about Ashbourne Credit Union congratulation 'their' senior footballers on winning the 5 in a row....!) so it is great to see both locals and those who have moved here to create a sense of community at the end of September every year.

A harvest festival keeps the sense of a small town community while still embracing inevitable development and progression away from actually being a small town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Maysa07

As the old saying .. "no such thing bad weather just inappropriate clothing"

Should be a great few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Dropped down to the festival yesterday and it was very well run.

Good fun and the kids had fun.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Dropped down to the festival yesterday and it was very well run.

Good fun and the kids had fun.

we were very lucky with the weather considering the forecast leading up to it. Most of the rain fell at night when we were all asleep. Saturday was a bit damp and cool but yesterday was a lovely day for it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I see the empty butcher's building opposite the pharmacy/Tara News now has a reserved sign. Wonder what's going in there, hope it's not another pharmacy or hairdressers.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

Gonzo wrote: »
    I see the empty butcher's building opposite the pharmacy/Tara News now has a reserved sign. Wonder what's going in there, hope it's not another pharmacy or hairdressers.

It could be a Chinese Take away!!!

I understand Massimo's Restaurant closed there doors last night, and is going to be refurnished over the next few weeks and is to re-open again before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

The fitters have the place pulled apart already,hopefully theyll actually serve pizzas once they reopen....

A320 wrote: »
    The fitters have the place pulled apart already,hopefully theyll actually serve pizzas once they reopen....

They would be very foolish to do all this refurbishment and not put in a pizza oven. No doubt this was hurting their business. Not a restaurant to bring kids to when all they want is pizza.

• Advertisement

Some mentioned this in my timeline earlier not sure if its related...https://linolaboutique.com/

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Some mentioned this in my timeline earlier not sure if its related...https://linolaboutique.com/

Is this where Utopia Boutique used to be, I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

Exile59 wrote: »
    I think the more amusements, the more scary straw men, the more fuss and effort made in Dunshaughlin this weekend, the better!

As someone from outside the area I think it really is such a great reflection of the town and brings a great sense of community spirit and a little bit of pride to the place. Far too many towns like Ashbourne and Ratoath are over run with us outsiders and are totally losing their sense of identity (how about Ashbourne Credit Union congratulation 'their' senior footballers on winning the 5 in a row....!) so it is great to see both locals and those who have moved here to create a sense of community at the end of September every year.

A harvest festival keeps the sense of a small town community while still embracing inevitable development and progression away from actually being a small town.
    Agree with all of the above...you have to hand it to the organisers and volunteers. Possibly the best year so far. My wife and I went to the variety show on the Friday evening. We were both really impressed with the professionalism of the presentation and the quality of the performers etc...ten out of ten.

CUCINA wrote: »
    Agree with all of the above...you have to hand it to the organisers and volunteers. Possibly the best year so far. My wife and I went to the variety show on the Friday evening. We were both really impressed with the professionalism of the presentation and the quality of the performers etc...ten out of ten.

the festival was very good again this year and they really got lucky with the weather, considering the awful conditions we've had since yesterday morning. My only criticism of the festival is that everything seemed more expensive this year, food prices in particular were up several euros, few of my friends thought the same. They ended up buying food in Macarri's and supervalu instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

the festival was very good again this year and they really got lucky with the weather, considering the awful conditions we've had since yesterday morning. My only criticism of the festival is that everything seemed more expensive this year, food prices in particular were up several euros, few of my friends thought the same. They ended up buying food in Macarri's and supervalu instead.

I really enjoyed it, but my only gripe was with the cost to get in to the bouncy castles area. 5 euro i thought was madness per child. 2 euro would have been more than enough to pay i think.
    But overall i thought it was great and it's improving year on year so huge well done to the committee.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Exile59

We had a great time as well at the festival! It was a really good showing by the organisers and well done to all involved. Regarding the costs for bouncy castles/food etc, I would think that was down to each individual business themselves and completely outside the remit of the festival. I do know they have to pay quite a bit to have a space there so maybe they are just recouping their overheads...

On another point, it looks like Dunshaughlin has finally turned a corner....Massimo's doing a well needed complete revamp, Palette & Plate opening where Cafe Bella was (I have seen their website for the business they own in Drogheda and their food looks great!) Boyne Dental to get the aul chompers scrubbed every so often and a new boutique shop thing (clearly not into women's fashion). And we saw they're doing a fair bit of work in the old butchers. I'd like to see a decent butchers go in there.

Or a phone repair shop. I think the town definitely needs another one of those.

Exile59 wrote: »
    And we saw they're doing a fair bit of work in the old butchers. I'd like to see a decent butchers go in there.

If another butcher goes in there it needs to be a very good butcher with a large range of product that is not always available in Supervalu or Lidl. Gleesons would be a good choice.

The past 3 butchers closed down because they had limited product and not a hope of staying in business against Supervalu or Lidl. However I think that unit is a bit too small for a decent butchers like Gleesons.

saw a few young lads painting the outside of the butchers shop yesterday, I'm guessing it could be a phone repair shop or a Chinese takeaway. We shall know for sure over the next few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Branner1

Just wondering if anyone knows what is going on at the old workhouse on the way into Dunshaughlin? Seems to be some renovation work over the past couple of weeks. Is it ever opened up to the public for viewing as a museum at all or what way is kept?

New Cafe opening where Cafe Bella was I see.
    Called Plate and Palette Cafe and opens tomorrow I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Anyone know when the work on the new Aldi is to start?

Branner1 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone knows what is going on at the old workhouse on the way into Dunshaughlin? Seems to be some renovation work over the past couple of weeks. Is it ever opened up to the public for viewing as a museum at all or what way is kept?

Yeah, I noticed that too, I just though it's a new entrance to the Workhouse, but I was thinking why do it? :confused:

andreac wrote: »
    Anyone know when the work on the new Aldi is to start?

As the new Aldi Store will be located partly in Madden's existing car park. I think, for work to start on the new Aldi, a few other related things have to be completed first.

• Clear a big portion of Madden's yards to make way for Madden's new car park.
    • Construct new car park / fencing with in Madden's yard.
    • Once the new car park is up and running, construct new boundary fence between Aldi site and Maddens.
    • Start construction of new Aldi store.

So, I think, the place to watch is the left hand side of Madden's Yard. Not too sure how long the above could take, but it will probably take a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭maik3n

It did/does seem in recent weeks that Maddens have trimmed their yard stock so maybe things are on the right track.

Then again, maybe they were just doing a general tidy/clean up of the yard.

What used to be the butchers opposite Tara News is getting kitted out today, I'm afraid to say this but those look like hair dressing chairs being installed on the inside! Possibly another barbers.

What used to be the butchers opposite Tara News is getting kitted out today, I'm afraid to say this but those look like hair dressing chairs being installed on the inside! Possibly another barbers.

Just seen the chairs too, it's not another barbers for sure, the chairs were still in plastic, so a little hard to tell, but to me each chair looked like they had a foot bath, so I think it's a pedicure salon.

GeneHunt wrote: »
    As the new Aldi Store will be located partly in Madden's existing car park. I think, for work to start on the new Aldi, a few other related things have to be completed first.

• Clear a big portion of Madden's yards to make way for Madden's new car park.
    • Construct new car park / fencing with in Madden's yard.
    • Once the new car park is up and running, construct new boundary fence between Aldi site and Maddens.
    • Start construction of new Aldi store.

So, I think, the place to watch is the left hand side of Madden's Yard. Not too sure how long the above could take, but it will probably take a few weeks.

I noticed a excavator working in the back of Maddens yard today.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭tara83

I think a nail bar was mentioned earlier in the thread so chairs for pedicures would make sense

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Metalpanic

GeneHunt wrote: »
    Just seen the chairs too, it's not another barbers for sure, the chairs were still in plastic, so a little hard to tell, but to me each chair looked like they had a foot bath, so I think it's a pedicure salon.

Great can get my nails done while I eat Chinese and get my phone repaired!

• Advertisement

Metalpanic wrote: »
    Great can get my nails done while I eat Chinese and get my phone repaired!

You forgot about your hair cut :D

Advertisement