Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Dunshaughlin news

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

What does it take to get a bit of decent variety in this town!

Would be nice to have a chopped, a decent deli, a real off license, a decent cafe, quality restaurant, craft beer pub with decent food, some proper shops to buy clothes.

However Dunshaughlin will always have you sorted for hair cuts, pharmacys, nail work, average chinese takeouts and phone repairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 cougar

Not sure the population of the village would support anything like that. Clothes shops are closing down all over the place under pressure from internet shopping and to be fair to prospective retailers, the available units are both small and without decent access. I am surprised the off licence never reopened but between SuperValu and lidl the market in the village is covered. Maybe when Aldi opens and the housing developments are finished it'll change with more people about

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

cougar wrote: »
    Not sure the population of the village would support anything like that. Clothes shops are closing down all over the place under pressure from internet shopping and to be fair to prospective retailers, the available units are both small and without decent access. I am surprised the off licence never reopened but between SuperValu and lidl the market in the village is covered. Maybe when Aldi opens and the housing developments are finished it'll change with more people about

...and that's the problem right there for many towns in Ireland. Lidl, Tesco, Aldi, Supervalu, etc. provide everything for most shoppers so all they need to do is to drive up, shop, fill up the car and go straight home again. there's no need to go into the town anymore, unless you need your hair cut or phone fixed (as some of you have already alluded to on this thread). It would be great to have a decent butcher, fruit and veg shop, off-license, but there's no way they can compete with the big supermarkets. Our towns/villages are slowly being destroyed because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Archiebello

chewed wrote: »
    ...and that's the problem right there for many towns in Ireland. Lidl, Tesco, Aldi, Supervalu, etc. provide everything for most shoppers so all they need to do is to drive up, shop, fill up the car and go straight home again. there's no need to go into the town anymore, unless you need your hair cut or phone fixed (as some of you have already alluded to on this thread). It would be great to have a decent butcher, fruit and veg shop, off-license, but there's no way they can compete with the big supermarkets. Our towns/villages are slowly being destroyed because of this.

Agreed, People are so quick to complain about the existing shops/restaurants we have and then go spend their money in the surrounding towns/villages. This is probably most evident in the restaurant scene. If you don't support local business how can you expect them to thrive let alone create a streetscape that attracts other independent businesses to set up.
    I agree that the eateries we have are not going to be in the lifestyle section of the Irish Times anytime soon but what I loved about Massimos is that you could go out for a meal, wander into the Sibin or Peters afterwards for a pint and not have to worry about getting a bus or taxi home.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Metalpanic

I agree with the general point that there has to be a critical mass population wise, but look at the County Club, Caffrey's in Batterstown, The Snail Box Kilmoon Cross, The Donkey Shed outside Ashbourne. All good places to eat, not in villages/towns. If you build it they will come maybe? You could say they get trade from commuters but Dunshaughlin should have that advantage too right?

I find it sad/frustrating that in some ways, we had more choice shops wise in the 90's than we do now! Book store, butchers, fruit and veg shop etc. But those kinds of businesses are hit by online purchasing and supermarkets as was said already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Exile59

In fairness Dunshaughlin is nowhere near big enough to have a Chopped....that's really overshooting I think! But I do agree a good shop with a deli would be great. That being said in the last month or so there has been a serious amount of new businesses opened/started in Dunshaughlin:

- Plate & Palette Cafe. It is absolutely amazing. As good as you'll get anywhere else and a massive addition to Dunshaughlin.
    - Herself says the new nail bar place will do great as there's nothing like that really in Dunshaughlin.
    - Lorna Flood Fitness has now relocated to the town centre above Echo Hair Salon.
    - New boutique opened across from Carberrys.
    - Boyne Dental is a massive vote of confidence in the town.
    - Wokpak takeaway.
    - New restaurant opening up where Massimos was.
    - Work on Aldi/Maddens has commenced.

In fairness for a town that is half the size of Ratoath in the last census that is a serious amount of progression.

I think people lamenting the lack of butchers shops, fruit shops, book stores etc are missing the point. Would people prefer to have a small village with a butchers, veg shop and book shop or have the endless choices afforded to us now by Lidl and Supervalu? We did have more shops, but we also had incomparibly less choice of products to buy. society evolves, consumer patters change and retailers adapt.

I think Dunshaughlin is definitely heading in the right direction and I'm delighted to see it!

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

Exile59 wrote: »
    In fairness Dunshaughlin is nowhere near big enough to have a Chopped....that's really overshooting I think! But I do agree a good shop with a deli would be great. That being said in the last month or so there has been a serious amount of new businesses opened/started in Dunshaughlin:

- Plate & Palette Cafe. It is absolutely amazing. As good as you'll get anywhere else and a massive addition to Dunshaughlin.
    - Herself says the new nail bar place will do great as there's nothing like that really in Dunshaughlin.
    - Lorna Flood Fitness has now relocated to the town centre above Echo Hair Salon.
    - New boutique opened across from Carberrys.
    - Boyne Dental is a massive vote of confidence in the town.
    - Wokpak takeaway.
    - New restaurant opening up where Massimos was.
    - Work on Aldi/Maddens has commenced.

In fairness for a town that is half the size of Ratoath in the last census that is a serious amount of progression.

I think people lamenting the lack of butchers shops, fruit shops, book stores etc are missing the point. Would people prefer to have a small village with a butchers, veg shop and book shop or have the endless choices afforded to us now by Lidl and Supervalu? We did have more shops, but we also had incomparibly less choice of products to buy. society evolves, consumer patters change and retailers adapt.

I think Dunshaughlin is definitely heading in the right direction and I'm delighted to see it!

My understanding is Massimos will re-open with a new look and menu. I had seen a date of the 16th Oct on the window for the re-opening, but that was taken down and we have since passed it. I think they have a note on the window now saying something like "Reopening Soon"!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

GeneHunt wrote: »
    My understanding is Massimos will re-open with a new look and menu. I had seen a date of the 16th Oct on the window for the re-opening, but that was taken down and we have since passed it. I think they have a note on the window now saying something like "Reopening Soon"!!!

before Massimo's closed, they informed me they were closing for 6-8 weeks to completely overhaul the place. They hinted at a new menu and a more 'classy' experience. I asked about the pizza oven and they didn't reply to that!

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Argo foc yourself

Looks like Lawless' lounge is getting a complete overhaul also. seem to have gutted the inside of it

Looks like Lawless' lounge is getting a complete overhaul also. seem to have gutted the inside of it

about time, that place has not changed since the 80s!

The Nail Bar has it's signage up now where the butchers used to be.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Was at a party in Carberys on Saturday night, nice place. Used to frequent another spot down from it years ago, that was a nice pub too. Kinda across the road, where it splits into a Y.

beertons wrote: »
    Was at a party in Carberys on Saturday night, nice place. Used to frequent another spot down from it years ago, that was a nice pub too. Kinda across the road, where it splits into a Y.

the pub you are on about is called The Arch Bar and I think it's being sold. Carberries is very good, it's got a nice crowd, well run and is quite cozy. Easily the best pub in Dunshaughlin. Pity they don't do a craft beer, something like Wicklow Wolf Pale Ale or Founders All Day IPA would be a nice break from the usual stuff that's available in every other pub in Ireland.

Gonzo wrote: »
    the pub you are on about is called The Arch Bar and I think it's being sold. Carberries is very good, it's got a nice crowd, well run and is quite cozy. Easily the best pub in Dunshaughlin. Pity they don't do a craft beer, something like Wicklow Wolf Pale Ale or Founders All Day IPA would be a nice break from the usual stuff that's available in every other pub in Ireland.

I agree. It's definitely the best pub in Dunshaughlin and the staff are very nice there. It's about time Lawless's got a make over, that place is like a time warp, yet beloved by so many locals. I'd say the owner reaslised that with so many new people moving into Dunshaughlin and with the Arch being sold, it was probably time to invest and try get a few new feet coming in the door...

I can't imaging a young couple moving to Dun Rioga or The Willows and choosing Lawlesses as their new local...!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 B65team

I agree on the comment about the off license. The one that was there previously was somewhere to find an absolute gem of a beer or wine.

Re: the butchers. There is Farmhouse foods in the business park which is great when you're buying in bulk.

B65team wrote: »
    I agree on the comment about the off license. The one that was there previously was somewhere to find an absolute gem of a beer or wine.

Re: the butchers. There is Farmhouse foods in the business park which is great when you're buying in bulk.

The Wine Bottle, was the name of that off license, a real shame it closed down. I thought it was doing a decent trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭maik3n

Dunshaughlin CNS Update.

http://tinyurl.com/y22ye4ka
    or
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/new-commuter-belt-school-fails-to-open-due-to-zero-enrolments-1.4064360?fbclid=IwAR1ggdRC9TpK8cmYxgkt-_WDGzZFx3J54b2Sk88INec59p05bsGw4TasJh8

Have to say I'm quite surprised.
    It did seem like there was a good buzz around the idea.

St Seachnalls is bursting at the seams so it is certainly needed.

Perhaps we aren't as liberal as one might be led to believe. :o:o

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Archiebello

maik3n wrote: »
    Dunshaughlin CNS Update.

http://tinyurl.com/y22ye4ka
    or
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/education/new-commuter-belt-school-fails-to-open-due-to-zero-enrolments-1.4064360?fbclid=IwAR1ggdRC9TpK8cmYxgkt-_WDGzZFx3J54b2Sk88INec59p05bsGw4TasJh8

Have to say I'm quite surprised.
    It did seem like there was a good buzz around the idea.

St Seachnalls is bursting at the seams so it is certainly needed.

Perhaps we aren't as liberal as one might be led to believe. :o:o

While the secondary school has turned away pupils due to lack of places I wasn’t aware of St Seachnall’s or Gaelscoil na Rithi having to do this even though both have big numbers. Any thoughts on the temporary location of the CNS being a factor? Those prefabs are right on the edge of the Drumree road. I would have thought from a health and safety aspect they would have to move them further in off the road?

Funny how Ashbourne parents had to lobby to get another school even though all primary’s there with the exception of the gaelscoil are oversubscribed.

While the secondary school has turned away pupils due to lack of places I wasn’t aware of St Seachnall’s or Gaelscoil na Rithi having to do this even though both have big numbers. Any thoughts on the temporary location of the CNS being a factor? Those prefabs are right on the edge of the Drumree road. I would have thought from a health and safety aspect they would have to move them further in off the road?

Funny how Ashbourne parents had to lobby to get another school even though all primary’s there with the exception of the gaelscoil are oversubscribed.

Perhaps people didn't enrol their kids there as they didn't believe it would actually open on time and then they would be left with a problem.

Perhaps people didn't enrol their kids there as they didn't believe it would actually open on time and then they would be left with a problem.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

They only had a junior infants class so we didnt enroll our oldest as he was going into senior infants.

• Advertisement

No electricity next Thursday from 8.30am to 5.30pm in the Lagore area of Dunshaughlin to faciliate the rollout of Siro Fibre Broadband, strange since Siro will not be available outside of the Dunshaughlin urban area.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 SM24308

No electricity next Thursday from 8.30am to 5.30pm in the Lagore area of Dunshaughlin to faciliate the rollout of Siro Fibre Broadband, strange since Siro will not be available outside of the Dunshaughlin urban area.

Any idea of Siro will be available on the Drumree Road in the new estate Dun Ríoga?

really? where is this information from? So where will be SIRO active do you know:?

SM24308 wrote: »
    Any idea of Siro will be available on the Drumree Road in the new estate Dun Ra?

not sure about that, but it will be available around Maelduin and Cnoc Tiernock. If there are black Siro manholes at your estate then it will be.

really? where is this information from? So where will be SIRO active do you know:?

I had the note in the door from the ESB today, what's odd about it is I live nowhere near the rollout, 2km outside of the town in the countryside.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

The three speed bumps are currently getting installed on the Drumree Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭red_bairn

SM24308 wrote: »
    Any idea of Siro will be available on the Drumree Road in the new estate Dun Ríoga?

I'm also interested in what would be available in the Dun Rioga estate. My wife and I are interested in purchasing a home here and the decent internet connection would be suitable for work if ever I would need to work from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

GeneHunt wrote: »
    The three speed bumps are currently getting installed on the Drumree Road.

At last!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 SM24308

red_bairn wrote: »
    I'm also interested in what would be available in the Dun Rioga estate. My wife and I are interested in purchasing a home here and the decent internet connection would be suitable for work if ever I would need to work from home.

My fiance and I have bought in phase 2, the houses are wired for Virgin and Eir, residents in phase 1 went with Virgin and have said it's working well. Would be very interested in using SIRO if available

• Advertisement

I took a slow walk past Dun Rioga yesterday, that's a much bigger development than I thought it was going to be! The Drumree road is going to be busy!

Does anyone know what is going in where The Snug used to be...? I heard it's Caldwell's, and we saw they have the same blueish colour inside last week, so it might be. If that is the case, Caldwell's...Plate and Palette....new Massimo's....lads tis only a matter of time until Dunshaughlin gets recognised as a gourmet food destination.... ;)

Advertisement