Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Dunshaughlin news

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Metalpanic

Hi All,

There have been a few robberies from unlocked cars and even cars stolen from estates around the village in the last few days. A group of 4 lads are driving into estates and walking through driveways checking doors are locked. Please be vigilant and lock your cars/close windows and keep keys well away from front door letter boxes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Metalpanic wrote: »
    Hi All,

There have been a few robberies from unlocked cars and even cars stolen from estates around the village in the last few days. A group of 4 lads are driving into estates and walking through driveways checking doors are locked. Please be vigilant and lock your cars/close windows and keep keys well away from front door letter boxes.

Yep happened here in The Willows on Weds night. See video of similar happening in Ratoath and Tyrellstown on Thurs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Metalpanic

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Yep happened here in The Willows on Weds night. See video of similar happening in Ratoath and Tyrellstown on Thurs too.

Might pick up one of those Ring Doorbells. They seem to grab some good images for this type of situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

Hi All,

What would be your favourite punishment for catching them on your property??? Im torn between a shovel and a boiling kettle of water

• Registered Users Posts: 23 dalex15

A320 wrote: »
      What would be your favourite punishment for catching them on your property??? Im torn between a shovel and a boiling kettle of water

What about both?

A shovel followed by a boiling kettle.

1. Advertisement
    2. Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Joffrey

Having a bit of a nightmare on broadband. Was told to go with Virgin who don't appear to service the area, sky gave me a 2 week wait. Eir have said between 3 to 5 days initially and haven't been able to get any customer support or clarification.

Who have most of you gone with, any advice?

3. Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Joffrey

Also wondering if limescale is a common problem in the town? tis our first experience with it

4. Registered Users Posts: 19 lmarieloos

Joffrey wrote: »
      Also wondering if limescale is a common problem in the town? tis our first experience with it

you will 100% need a water softener system installed. the water in Dunshaughlin is extremely hard.

5. Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Metalpanic

Joffrey wrote: »
      Having a bit of a nightmare on broadband. Was told to go with Virgin who don't appear to service the area, sky gave me a 2 week wait. Eir have said between 3 to 5 days initially and haven't been able to get any customer support or clarification.

Who have most of you gone with, any advice?

Hi Joffrey. I'm with VM and their BB is honestly very good. The router itself isn't great but that is probably common to most ISPs. I run mine in modem mode and use my own wifi router and have found it fantastic. If I had the option I probably would go with SIRO, do you know if that is available in your area?

Also hard water/limescale is absolutely an issue here. In my last house we had a well and it was very bad until we invested in a good water treatment system. New house is on the mains, but the water is still pretty hard, so we got a softener for here too. Well worth the investment and to keep the plumbing happy.

6. Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

I run mine in modem mode and use my own wifi router and have found it fantastic.
      Same here. No problems at all since Feb where we moved in.

@OP : They also offer 1Gbit today, for ~85 euro per month if you are looking for higher speeds that 350.

7. Advertisement
    8. Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I see another new hairdressers open. Exactly what Dunshaughlin needs!

9. Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Yeah, I would have liked to seen a takeaway or phone repair shop!! :D

10. Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

all I can do is laugh, is this the 10th hairdressers we have now?

11. Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

I'd love a good off licence in the village.
      I know there are more important shops to have but I'd lke to be able to pop local for a craft beer then drive to Blanch or Tyrellstown.

EDIT: I know Super Valu has some but very limited.

12. Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Metalpanic

I'd love a good off licence in the village.
      I know there are more important shops to have but I'd lke to be able to pop local for a craft beer then drive to Blanch or Tyrellstown.

EDIT: I know Super Valu has some but very limited.

Conway's in Ratoath has a decent enough off licence

13. Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Conway's in Ratoath has a decent enough off licence

Yeah true enough but with their new layout there was less choice for a while.
      Again it can be hit and miss from time to time.

14. Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a real pity about the off license situation, especially when we did have an excellent one called The Wine Bottle about 10 years ago which stocked a very good range for the time.

15. Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

Gonzo wrote: »
      a real pity about the off license situation, especially when we did have an excellent one called The Wine Bottle about 10 years ago which stocked a very good range for the time.

yes, I remember that well. They had a great selection of wines/beers.

16. Registered Users Posts: 23 dalex15

Gonzo wrote: »
      all I can do is laugh, is this the 10th hairdressers we have now?

Funnily enough, I got a haircut in Dunshaughlin for first time, as we are due to move in next month or so and just wanted to test out the barbers.

I got one of the best haircuts in the last few years, also a bit cheaper than D15.

17. Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

dalex15 wrote: »
      Funnily enough, I got a haircut in Dunshaughlin for first time, as we are due to move in next month or so and just wanted to test out the barbers.

I got one of the best haircuts in the last few years, also a bit cheaper than D15.

Interested to know in which one, as we have a few to choose from so I'm still going to my old one in the city!

18. Advertisement
    19. Registered Users Posts: 23 dalex15

RiseToMe wrote: »
      Interested to know in which one, as we have a few to choose from so I'm still going to my old one in the city!

I went to Crew Cut Barbers. I'm planning to try all of them over next few months and then settle to the one I'm most happy with.

20. Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

dalex15 wrote: »
      I went to Crew Cut Barbers. I'm planning to try all of them over next few months and then settle to the one I'm most happy with.

I use them for myself and my young lad too.
      I went to him before too when he was working in Clonee and when he moved from there I was disappointed.
      Happy to have found him again and hes a nice guy too.

21. Registered Users Posts: 36 Archiebello

I use them for myself and my young lad too.
      I went to him before too when he was working in Clonee and when he moved from there I was disappointed.
      Happy to have found him again and hes a nice guy too.

The lad in Crew Cut is so sound, I would rate it the best of the local barbers for service.

22. Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Metalpanic

Grange End SHD was approved on Wednesday.

Anyone know why there are so many power cuts lately? Something has to be up, it’s too frequent to be random accidents at this stage.

23. Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

Something has to be up, it’s too frequent to be random accidents at this stage.
      Someone wrote on the Dunshaughlin Fb group yesterday that a bird was tangled in the cables yesterday. Haven't find any reliable source though.

24. Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Metalpanic

Wizard! wrote: »
      Someone wrote on the Dunshaughlin Fb group yesterday that a bird was tangled in the cables yesterday. Haven't find any reliable source though.

Really? It took out Ashbourne and Ratoath too. Would make you wonder about the power supply wouldn’t it?! I noticed the village came back in stages too. Village first, then out to Campus and after that much later.

25. Registered Users Posts: 36 Archiebello

Really? It took out Ashbourne and Ratoath too. Would make you wonder about the power supply wouldn’t it?! I noticed the village came back in stages too. Village first, then out to Campus and after that much later.

Its the third cut in a month. The length of time it takes for power to be restored would make you think its something major. The volume of people working from home at the moment probably isn't helping. I imagine the residential network is not built for that? Dunshaughlin grapevine went into overdrive with hysteria last night between people saying they weren't going to pay their esb bills and blaming all the new houses. Didnt see anyone comment that maybe all the objections to the Meath connector pylons a few years ago should be reconsidered.

26. Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

...The volume of people working from home at the moment probably isn't helping....and blaming all the new houses...
      It happened late in the afternoon, so I am not sure how the working from home would have affect that.
      For the houses, they are somewhat right. Lot's of houses, which is not bad, we bought one, but they need to upgrade the infrastructure, roads, power, commuting, transportation. Between 5 and 6pm, the town is completely blocked by the traffic and many cars are just passing by for north, Navan, etc, to avoid tolls on M3.

27. Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Metalpanic

Wizard! wrote: »
      It happened late in the afternoon, so I am not sure how the working from home would have affect that.
      For the houses, they are somewhat right. Lot's of houses, which is not bad, we bought one, but they need to upgrade the infrastructure, roads, power, commuting, transportation. Between 5 and 6pm, the town is completely blocked by the traffic and many cars are just passing by for north, Navan, etc, to avoid tolls on M3.

I’m in the same boat I’m from Dunshaughlin but moved into a new estate also. The council were trying to dezone land to slow growth in housing down to give infrastructure a chance to catch up. But Strategic Housing Developments skirt local councils and their plans. I think the village is growing too fast, bus service in normal times can’t cope, no rail in sight and really, unless you want to visit a hairdresser or takeaway, what’s really here for the non-commuters?

28. Advertisement
    29. Registered Users Posts: 36 Archiebello

Grange End SHD was approved on Wednesday.

Anyone know why there are so many power cuts lately? Something has to be up, it’s too frequent to be random accidents at this stage.

Just on the Grange End SHD point, were there any conditions to the approval? It seems like a fairly high density development from the docs submitted on eplanning.ie. The road realignment also seemed to be not much more than removing the ditch and widening the existing road to include a footpath and cycle lane. Was kinda they would get rid of those hairpin bends once and for all.

Advertisement