Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Dunshaughlin news

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

was in Costa earlier and looks like none of the tables are being cleared away. used coffee cups and plates on at least 8 tables, both inside and outside. Obviously no manager in there today.

Dunshaughlin could definitely do with a decent newsagent, another food outlet, a leisure centre and a craft beer pub with restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

I see there's a planning application gone in, for 20 new houses at the back of Lidl, and would form part of Greenane.

RA180862

http://www.eplanning.ie/MeathCC/AppFileRefDetails/RA180862/0

The construction of 20 dwellings to include 1 no. 4 bed 2 storey detached house; 10 no. 4 bed 2 storey semidetached houses; and 9 no. 3 bed 2 storey terraced houses. b) New vehicular road access from Greenane Rd. c) All associated drainage services, boundary wall treatment, site works and landscaped open spaces

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭CUCINA

Some interesting ideas above ... In general, I would like to see more commercial development on the east side of the town. So the proposed Aldi site would be good. I might be a bit biased though, as I live on that side!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'd love to see to the east of Dunshaughlin developed too. Lagore Road in particular is a very dangerous road for wallking, some dangerous bends in the road, lots of people walk it and there is no footpath past the estates.

The road could do with being re-aligned, take the bends out, widen the road slightly, a footpath and maybe street lighting. Of course this will only ever happen if developments take place both sides of the road on those large fields that have remained the same since the 1970s.

At various times over the past 20 years there were plans to build houses on some of those fields but the plans always fell through.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Regarding parking, I heard there are no bye-laws regarding double yellow lines. It would simple enough for the Gardaí to go around giving tickets to anyone parked opposite an unbroken white line, that would sort out Maelduin and by the side of Maddens.
    Still a lot of drink driving going on up around the top of the village, we have a hit list of drinkers that park (and piss) in our apartment block car park. Also while having my dinner last night seen a guy go behind the bins in Lidl to relieve himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Exile59

Gonzo wrote: »
    Of course this will only ever happen if developments take place both sides of the road on those large fields that have remained the same since the 1970s.

At various times over the past 20 years there were plans to build houses on some of those fields but the plans always fell through.

I wouldn't be surprised if that happened over the next year or two. With the new large site for sale on the Ratoath Road and The Willows development apparently swinging right around towards the Lagore Road there should be a lot of development re paths etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ccczxxx

Hi.
    We are considering a big move from Ratoath to Dunshaughlin. I have read the thread, very informative with a few giggles....

Our little fella is down to start in Rathbeggan School and Sandy' s creche, we have heard great things on Sandy's but not much on the school. Anybody have any points to note on either?

There was mention of some mischief in one of the estates, are there any that would be best avoided? We are hoping to buy in the established estates rather than the new builds.....

We shopped in Lidl yesterday, it is very nice, the little guy was delighted with his junior trolley.

We are wondering about the Broadband, we currently only have access to Sky. Is Virgin widely available in the 'older' estates?

Any information on any of the above would be greatly appreciated..... DUBshaughlin, very funny but I do promise to never again use the term

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Diddleydoo

Diddleydoo wrote: »
    I came to live here nearly 40 years ago and the Drumree Road was quiet, none of the hair raising speed chasers or HGVs tormenting us. A letter was sent in years ago by someone asking could something be done, it didn't even warrant a reply so that just goes to show you. There was an announcement recently about installing road signs telling HGV drivers the road is only for local access, yep, that is really going to stop them. If Cavan County Council can put huge ramps everywhere, so can MCC.

Yep, it sure worked, the HGVs are still charging up and down. I rang MCC and asked why, they said there was sporadic Garda checks, and anyhow sure isn't there a building development near the roundabout, I pointed out they could go down the main road and still gain access via the link road. As far as MCC are concerned they put up signs so that's it :(

Ccczxxx wrote: »
    Hi.
    We are considering a big move from Ratoath to Dunshaughlin. I have read the thread, very informative with a few giggles....

Our little fella is down to start in Rathbeggan School and Sandy' s creche, we have heard great things on Sandy's but not much on the school. Anybody have any points to note on either?

There was mention of some mischief in one of the estates, are there any that would be best avoided? We are hoping to buy in the established estates rather than the new builds.....

We shopped in Lidl yesterday, it is very nice, the little guy was delighted with his junior trolley.

We are wondering about the Broadband, we currently only have access to Sky. Is Virgin widely available in the 'older' estates?

Any information on any of the above would be greatly appreciated..... DUBshaughlin, very funny but I do promise to never again use the term

My kids went to Rathbeggan School and I was very happy. I haven't heard of any particular mischief in estates, I guess that goes on everywhere though. I have Vodafone Fibre and is it good, download speeds seldom drop under 50mbs. And yes, Lidl is great, and Costa.

Good luck with your move and welcome to Funshaughlin :)

Hi.

Currently Eir/Sky and Vodafone is available with speeds of up to 100 megs in Dunshaughlin urban area.

Virgin Media is currently not available anywhere in Dunshaughlin, however they are building a network here now, probably be 2019 before it's up and running. I have no idea on how widespread their network will be and what estates it will end up in.

Siro have also started to build their FTTH Network in Dunshaughlin, so far it looks like the Maelduin estate will be fully FTTH enabled once complete.

Eir's FTTH Network is available outside the town in the more rural areas of Dunshaughlin.

• Advertisement

Hi.

Hey,

There aren't any estates that should be avoided at all really. With regards to the mischief, it didn't seem to be more than a few local teenagers actin the eejit, no more than I would've done myself back in the day. But nothing to ever really turn someone off moving there. I won't name the estate as I don't think that's fair really.

As for the shopping, yea Lidl is a great addition and even Supervalu has really ramped up their game now with regards to their service with a nice few additions. Far better than the one in Ratoath, we've returned goods there a few times to such a degree we actively make a point to avoid it. There's apparently a large new Motorway service station near the Dun Rioga development coming down the line.

In our last place we had Sky and the connection was fine. It did keep dropping though which surprised us as it's Dunshaughlin. Not North Donegal. But it's still fine.

As a 'blow in' myself I really think it's a great little village and has great character.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,793 ✭✭✭rizzee

Meath Post Office Closures:

Batterstown
    Bellewstown
    Clonalvy
    Drumree
    Dunsany

Rathmolyon
    Tara

Lets hope they sort parking fines outside the PO/chemist area, will be getting busy soon !!

rizzee wrote: »

Batterstown
    Bellewstown
    Clonalvy
    Drumree
    Dunsany

Rathmolyon
    Tara

Lets hope they sort parking fines outside the PO/chemist area, will be getting busy soon !!

Post office and chemist are on private road

rizzee wrote: »

Batterstown
    Bellewstown
    Clonalvy
    Drumree
    Dunsany

Rathmolyon
    Tara

I've actually noticed over the past week, the parking across the way from the Euro store is becoming dangerously bad. People are starting to park practically on the bend now. Also, in Maldeuin, with the new apartment block being built there's cones at the entrance but now people are just parking back along the green area. It's desperate along the post office.

With the post office closures and the nearest one identified as Dunshaughlin for three of them, there's going to be much more people coming into the village so hopefully some kind of traffic/parking plan will be put in place.

I'd raise the issues at the next town council meeting but generally the meetings are on at the same time as Nationwide or Fair City and I also find it's far more effective to vent on Boards.ie

BTW there's planning gone in for change of use for a unit in the industrial estate for a gym to go in there. That'll be a great addition to Dunshaughlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭tara83

A park and ride facility for bus commuters is desperately required.

Along with express buses but that's for a different thread.

was in Costa earlier and looks like none of the tables are being cleared away. used coffee cups and plates on at least 8 tables, both inside and outside. Obviously no manager in there today.

Dunshaughlin could definitely do with a decent newsagent, another food outlet, a leisure centre and a craft beer pub with restaurant.

I've been there 3 times now, just after opening hours and at 10:30am. The opening hour was a disappointment because it took so long for the toasting machine to warm up my coffee went cold while waiting. Going in at the later time wasn't much better as there were too many dirty tables. I don't know if it is the counter layout or what but it takes too long to complete a transaction. Give me Starbucks instead, service system much better.

Does anyone actually know the opening hours for Costa? The website says 9-5 Monday to Sunday but it doesn't open till 10 on Sunday, would I be right?

The shops which used to be Centra have been painted in the last week, the same colour as Motor Factors. Are the going to be an extension to Motor Factors or new stores?

Diddleydoo wrote: »
    The shops which used to be Centra have been painted in the last week, the same colour as Motor Factors. Are the going to be an extension to Motor Factors or new stores?

I noticed that too!!

Not sure if the motor factors (Dunshaughlin Auto Parts) is extending their premises again as they only extended the premises a few years ago. If the motor factors is extending into the next units the best of luck to them. It's not a great location - however, those units are starting to look a better bet these days with the opening of Lidl and Costa, that end of the village was forgotten about for a while there.

The motor factors is opening in the new two units, business is going from strength to strength for them

I was in Costa in Kilcock and the amount of time per transaction was ridiculously long so I presume it is the same for each franchise. I got a bean to cup machine at home so don't have too many urges for coffee out

I cant see there being a traffic plan for any changes in the post offices, there has never been one in place at any time. As I said before the Gardaí could stop nearly all of the bad parking in one day using the road traffic act

• Advertisement

I have noticed signs in the community college banning dogs. Whereby I agree dogs running wild or fouling should be banned but what about very well behaved dogs on a leash whose owner cleans up, on the rare chance he might dirty. My dog used to love doing one round of the college and home again, and to be honest, it was enough for me also.

It's a pity the same community college wouldn't ban the pupils who fling litter all over the same grounds that dogs are banned from. It's a pity there are no sanctions against the same nasty pupils who fling food wrappers, water bottles etc. all round the funeral home and outside Supervalu. Why is there never anything done about that?

some serious littering at lunchtime from the college and don't even get me started on the kids driving up and down to school like something out of mad max

I agree Borderfox, I wonder how many of them have a full driving licence. Supervalu is a no go area at lunch hour, they gather in the lobby like some kind of strange species who don't even move to let people past. There should be a teacher out at lunch hour to make them behave like their European peers who have civic pride...

a few people have mentioned to me that Aidans Family Butchers and the Snug Cafe have closed. I have been away on holidays but noticed both places completely shut yesterday and today.

a few people have mentioned to me that Aidans Family Butchers and the Snug Cafe have closed. I have been away on holidays but noticed both places completely shut yesterday and today.

Yea we were wondering about the butchers alright. It was taken over by another lad who rebranded it. He seemed to open the oddest hours, almost whenever it suited him. The selection of meats was very poor compared to the previous owner. Now seem to be shut totally.

Snug seems to be closed as well alright. Hopefully they will reopen maybe with a new design etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 lmarieloos

Hi all, while in the village this morning I noticed a Tony Devine Coaches bus stop at the bus stop opposite Lidl, does anyone know is this a new private service similar to the Sillan one?!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Metalpanic

lmarieloos wrote: »
    Hi all, while in the village this morning I noticed a Tony Devine Coaches bus stop at the bus stop opposite Lidl, does anyone know is this a new private service similar to the Sillan one?!

I've seen it picking up and dropping off kids in uniforms, so I guess it's just a school bus.

Exile59 wrote: »
    Yea we were wondering about the butchers alright. It was taken over by another lad who rebranded it. He seemed to open the oddest hours, almost whenever it suited him. The selection of meats was very poor compared to the previous owner. Now seem to be shut totally.

Snug seems to be closed as well alright. Hopefully they will reopen maybe with a new design etc.

it was a shame about the Butchers, the previous owners, Mahons Meats I think they were called were very good. The butchers themselves were very friendly, often gave discounts and their meat produce was top class.I used to shop regularly there until it became Aidans Family Butchers.

Aidans range of product wasn't as good, was slightly more expensive and some of their product was poorer compared to Mahons. Shortly after that we got Lidl and I've since being buying all my meat and poultry there.

As for the Snug, they would need to reband as a small restaurant or something like that. Costa has Dunshaughlin covered now in terms of coffee and cakes.

it was a shame about the Butchers, the previous owners, Mahons Meats I think they were called were very good. The butchers themselves were very friendly, often gave discounts and their meat produce was top class.I used to shop regularly there until it became Aidans Family Butchers.

Aidans range of product wasn't as good, was slightly more expensive and some of their product was poorer compared to Mahons. Shortly after that we got Lidl and I've since being buying all my meat and poultry there.

As for the Snug, they would need to reband as a small restaurant or something like that. Costa has Dunshaughlin covered now in terms of coffee and cakes.

Totally agree re Mahon's. The butchers were really friendly and always gave a good discount. The new fella just didn't seem to put the effort in.

On a side point, we missed the Harvest Festival the last few years so I've never experienced it. There seems to be a good lot of stuff on this year which is great! Looking forward to it!

• Advertisement

The Willows has a new phase / brochure Launched on there website (see below). The site map now showing the field nearer to the business park populated with houses and also a creche next to the old Dublin road.

http://thewillows.ie

http://thewillows.ie/brochure/the-willows.pdf

Advertisement