Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Dunshaughlin news

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I thought the 900 houses were shelved by an bord pleanala due to a lack of infrastructure

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Borderfox wrote: »
    I thought the 900 houses were shelved by an bord pleanala due to a lack of infrastructure

They will re-submit.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Exile59

Few points/questions:

Is the development referring to the 900 houses The Willows, or is there another development planned?

The new road going into The Willows;is it speculation that it is going to be a ring road, or it is fact and has permission been granted? To be honest, it seems way too small a road to be a proper ring road.

The Fairways have been having open houses for the last three months. We went in in early November and presumed they would all be long sold by now. Are they having issues moving them does anyone know?

I heard Caldwells bought The Snug and are moving in there. Any truth to that?

It's really disappointing that there is all this development going on around Dunshaughlin and there's still nowhere decent to eat. I would have thought some businesses would have identified a golden opportunity and moved here, but apart from Lidl and Costa there's been nothing new in the last twelve months.

I saw on Meath Planning that there was planning permission applied for Lagore road for waste landfill. I presume that's a developer who needs to seek permission to fill up the land before developing for houses? Is there big plans for another large development there?

While it is great to see all this new life breathed into the town, it needs to be done properly. In two years time traffic will be nuts in and out of the 'village'.....

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Diddleydoo

Again, the question of the dreadful road access in and out of Supervalu is a thorn in my side, what will it be like when more people move in I wonder..

Diddleydoo wrote: »
    Again, the question of the dreadful road access in and out of Supervalu is a thorn in my side, what will it be like when more people move in I wonder..

It's definitely getting worse already. I've noticed a massive difference over the past few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭GeneHunt

I noticed work has started on the fit-out of the new Pharmacy near Lidl / Costa last week. It shouldn't be long now before it's open.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Diddleydoo

GeneHunt wrote: »
    I noticed work has started on the fit-out of the new Pharmacy near Lidl / Costa last week. It shouldn't be long now before it's open.

It's been a while coming..

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Metalpanic

Gonzo wrote: »
    unfortunately Virgin Media keep details of all roll-outs very private, but they were very busy in the run up to Christmas having laid fibre across much of Dunshaughlin urban area, similar situation too with Siro.

At a guess I reckon the service should be launched before the summer.

Found out yesterday, they are estimating summer time, so good guess!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Metalpanic wrote: »
    Found out yesterday, they are estimating summer time, so good guess!

They are still doing the rollout in Dunshaughlin. Over the past 2 weeks they have been doing alot of work around Maelduin. They still have to work on the older estates such as Greenane/College Park/The Downs/Ardlea/Supple Park. I wonder will they roll out to the new estates such as Fairfield and The Willows.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Metalpanic

They are still doing the rollout in Dunshaughlin. Over the past 2 weeks they have been doing alot of work around Maelduin. They still have to work on the older estates such as Greenane/College Park/The Downs/Ardlea/Supple Park. I wonder will they roll out to the new estates such as Fairfield and The Willows.

I would imagine so, Sky and Virgin compete with each other to sign builders up to pre-wire houses for their service. If one of the new estates have this in place, I'm sure Virgin will run cable/ducting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭A320

Been a long wait,its been a year since the cables went in outside my place

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,885 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looks like Meath County Council are seeking funding to build a link road between the old Dublin Road near the Willows, connecting it to the M3 to ease traffic in Dunshaughlin. I really hope they get funding for this.

https://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2019/02/22/4169865-moves-underway-to-build-link-road-from-dublin-side-of-dunshaughlin-to-m3/

looks like Meath County Council are seeking funding to build a link road between the old Dublin Road near the Willows, connecting it to the M3 to ease traffic in Dunshaughlin. I really hope they get funding for this.

https://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2019/02/22/4169865-moves-underway-to-build-link-road-from-dublin-side-of-dunshaughlin-to-m3/
    GeneHunt wrote: »
    Unfortunately Meath County Council have other plans and the spur road you mention connecting the Dublin side of Dunshaughlin to the M3 (southern side) is not part of their plan and probably never will! Their plan has already started with the new road into the Willows on the Dublin side, that new road will (I believe) form part of a "ring" road around Dunshaughlin, on the northern side, crossing the Lagore road then the Ratoath Road (R125) and continue on to join the Navan Road somewhere near the water tower (I think), however, I'm not sure if the Grangehall Road will form part of this future "ring" road.

WOW, this will be very welcome if they do construct this link road, as it's so difficult to get through the village at peak times. I'm shocked that MCC are looking at this so soon, because I heard back before the M3 was built, the thinking was a link road from junction 6 of the M3 to south of Dunshaughlin would be a rat run for toll dodgers. I wonder will they also have a link road back into the village from this new link road to College Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,257 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

It will be just that, a rat run for toll dodgers but anything to keep traffic out of the village is welcome. The amount of heavy traffic is staggering at the moment along with the speeds when it's moving

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

Borderfox wrote:
    It will be just that, a rat run for toll dodgers but anything to keep traffic out of the village is welcome. The amount of heavy traffic is staggering at the moment along with the speeds when it's moving

I'm not a big fan of tolls but maybe adding a toll booth on the new exit (coming from navan direction) might curtail the rat run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Called into Costa Coffee for the first time this morning and was not impressed. Shop was filthy, staff were unpleasant and the jacks were in a state. No paper or soap. Very disappointing for a shop only open a matter of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Called into Costa Coffee for the first time this morning and was not impressed. Shop was filthy, staff were unpleasant and the jacks were in a state. No paper or soap. Very disappointing for a shop only open a matter of months.

That's not good! Did you make a complaint?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

chewed wrote: »
    That's not good! Did you make a complaint?

Let them know about the state of the jacks before I left anyway.

Looks like the new "CarePlus" (Conaty's) Pharmacy will be open very soon.

NufcNavan wrote: »

I've seen it like this before. It's a pity because the Costa is generally a nice place when it's clean. Costa Dunshaughlin is generally doing well because there aren't many alternatives for having a coffee in Dunshaughlin. Hopefully another coffee shop like Insomnia or a Cafe Nero will eventually open in the town as a decent alternative.

• Advertisement

I've seen it like this before. It's a pity because the Costa is generally a nice place when it's clean. Costa Dunshaughlin is generally doing well because there aren't many alternatives for having a coffee in Dunshaughlin. Hopefully another coffee shop like Insomnia or a Cafe Nero will eventually open in the town as a decent alternative.

There's Bella Café behind Jenny's. It's only okay though, the decor is very dated and it's very cramped compared to Costa.

Was in Ratoath last week in La Bucca. While it's not exceptional by any means, it really is a lovely spot to go for a bite if not looking to stray too far. Something like that is desperately needed in Dunshaughlin. And the Centra on the ground floor.....as far as shops go it's really good...great deli counter!

Ideally if we could get that entire unit moved to Dunshaughlin it'd be just great.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Archiebello

The independent places in the village are never going to have the finance to match the decor and sq footage of a corporate giant like Costa. Personally I’d rather give my money to Cafe Bella, Sweet Planet or Massimos. The service in all 3 have been excellent any time we’ve been in. I can see the popularity of Costa though, with the amount of space, especially if you have a buggie in tow. Haven’t been over to La Bucca in ages, but I agree it’s a great spot.

I agree with the Centra in Ratoath, it's a really good place to have coffee and lunch. The staff there are also very pleasant. Dunshaughlin could really do with something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭vapor trails

I think part of the reason that makes that commercial center in Ratoath so good is the parking too. It's so hard to see where Dunshaughlin could fit in a center with that size of a footprint.

One place that should be on the horizon soon for development is the area straight across the road from the Dublin bound bus stop. From O'Toole's pharmacy down past where the dogs keep on barking at me needs to be blitzed and redeveloped. There is some big fields in behind too so a good chance to compliment whatever they are doing with parking. That's the only place I can think of. It's nice and central too. If you think about it the centra in Ratoath is way over on the Ashbourne side of the village.

I agree with the above point re that area in the centre of Dunshaughlin, there's a huge amount of space in there, it would be a great opportunity to have a big commercial unit and breathe a bit more life in to the town. All these things come with their disadvantages though. I would really hate to see Dunshaughlin turn out like Ashbourne, it really lacks any sense of community there and there's huge gangs of young 'uns around the town centre as well as a fair few undesirables...

I think part of the reason that makes that commercial center in Ratoath so good is the parking too. It's so hard to see where Dunshaughlin could fit in a center with that size of a footprint.

One place that should be on the horizon soon for development is the area straight across the road from the Dublin bound bus stop. From O'Toole's pharmacy down past where the dogs keep on barking at me needs to be blitzed and redeveloped. The is some big fields in behind too so a good chance to compliment whatever they are doing with parking. That's the only place I can think of. It's nice and central too. If you think about it the centra in Ratoath is way over on the Ashbourne side of the village.

I do agree with you on this area being a possible area for future development, however the field you mention has a planning application (RA180862) for 20 houses which would be an extension of Greenane, the application is currently "On Hold" at the moment.

I think the village will probably need shop units (i.e. Tesco Express like the Ratoath units too) out the Dublin near The Willows, as the new school is also to be located there and
    Dunshaughlin Youths
    are developing there own new football grounds at the back of The Willows.

It would be ideal if the Circle K station on the Dublin road had a big redevelopment. I wouldn't be surprised if that happened eventually, sitting on a goldmine there!

Have Dunshaughlin Youths sold their field and relocating? I saw this morning they've cut down a load of the Poplar trees that run alongside the pitch, that's an awful pity to lose those.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Exile59 wrote: »
    It would be ideal if the Circle K station on the Dublin road had a big redevelopment. I wouldn't be surprised if that happened eventually, sitting on a goldmine there!

Have Dunshaughlin Youths sold their field and relocating? I saw this morning they've cut down a load of the Poplar trees that run alongside the pitch, that's an awful pity to lose those.

Yep thats where the new school will go and the football team will go down the back of The Willows to the right side.

Parking in Dunshaughlin is a major issue. Lidl has a fantastic large Car Park but other areas of the village are really bad. Supervalu in particular is a total bottle neck, the car park there is very congested now more than ever with cars parking both sides of the road and a taffic jam in and out of that road by Tara News.

We definitely need a centre similar to the one in Ratoath As suggest above. I think a development on the Dublin end of Dunshaughlin makes great sense. Extending a footpath all the way to the Circle K and redeveloping that whole area to include a decent sized car park, a few shops, a Centra style unit, another coffee shop and restaurant, landscape the area with trees and some greenery.

The Dublin end of Dunshaughlin is going to have a large population very soon and they can't all park at Supervalu or park at Lidl which is very far from that end of the town.

Dunshaughlin is now expanding fast, quicker than it ever has. It will be difficult to keep the village style community with such expansion, but with some decent planning focused around redeveloping the Dublin end with tasteful consideration could work and help maintain a village community.

I think the Hanson Wood development is a great example of planning done right, we need more of that with future developments.

• Advertisement

Exile59 wrote: »

I believe Dunshaughlin Youths rented the field from Lidl Ireland! Lidl Ireland owned the field for a number of years, I'm not sure if they still own it as they now have the new store in the village.
    ciaran76 wrote: »
    Yep thats where the new school will go and the football team will go down the back of The Willows to the right side.

I did not know the new school will be on the old Dublin road, oh the traffic in mornings will be sooo bad.

Advertisement