Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Online Banking with "external" Software

Options
  • 12-01-2018 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

I just moved to Ireland (from Germany) and opened a BoI account.
    In Germany I used to manage my bank account with "WISO Mein Geld" - a nice software which does e.g. bank transfer, standing order and I used as a book of household accounts.
    As the name already tells, this is a Germany only software.
    Is there any similar software that works with e.g. API interface and my BoI account?
    I know that there was something like "quicken" for example.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    777 - dreimal7

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Jane

Dreimal7 wrote: »
    Hi,

I just moved to Ireland (from Germany) and opened a BoI account.
    In Germany I used to manage my bank account with "WISO Mein Geld" - a nice software which does e.g. bank transfer, standing order and I used as a book of household accounts.
    As the name already tells, this is a Germany only software.
    Is there any similar software that works with e.g. API interface and my BoI account?
    I know that there was something like "quicken" for example.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    777 - dreimal7
    Hi Dreimal7

Welcome to Boards and thanks for posting today.

When you open a current account with us, you are eligible to register for banking 365. This will allow you to make bank transfers, set up Standing Orders and keep track of your account.

There is also a built in facility available called Money Manager which will allow you to manage your money, analyse your spending, and plan for the future. It will go back 6 months will give you a clear outlook of your accounts.

You'll find this when you log in through a browser or PC and go to 'Manage Accounts', and 'Money Manager'. You'll be prompted to start and launch Money Manager.

Please let us know if we can help with anything else.

Thanks again,
    Jane

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

The OP is not asking what 365 is able to do via the web interface - they're asking if 365 has an API?  An API is a way for external programs (e.g. an accounting application) to connect with 365 and query information and perform transactions.  I don't think it has one, but it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Paranoid Bob

Google the Payment Services Directive; PSD2. This is an EU regulation that requires banks to allow authorised third parties to access account information and initiate payments on behalf of customers.
    The first part of that went into force this weekend. The intent is that (eventually) it will be possible for you to manage all your basic banking activity through a single service provider where that service provider can build any interface they think their customers would like (with due regard for information security, KYC, AML, etc.)

It will take a little time for the market to develop but once it does you'll be able to use any central bank approved service provider's API to manage any eurozone bank account.

In the meantime check the features of the accounting packages on the market. I think some of them will include a sort of 'screen-scraping' technology that lets them use the existing online banking apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Tow

The API BOI are now required to provide to be compliant with PSD2.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Paranoid Bob

Tow wrote: »
    The API BOI are now required to provide to be compliant with PSD2.

The API that the bank is required to provide is accessible to central bank approved service providers only. Giving retail customers access to an API is a different question. I'm assuming that, in time, some of the service providers will provide that. In my understanding that is not required by PSD2, but is to be expected as the market develops.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Darren

Hi All,

Thanks for getting in contact with us here.

The PSD2 role out widens the banks scope in a number of existing services and will take place over a number of steps. The first step in the PSD2 role out began on the 13th of January 2018 and the rest of the changes will take place between now and Autumn 2019. The API services isn't be included in the first step but will be included in later steps.
    I've given a link here that has all the details of PSD2 and should update as the role out changed from step to step.

Thanks again for coming in to discuss this here,
    Darren.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Dreimal7

In the meantime check the features of the accounting packages on the market. I think some of them will include a sort of 'screen-scraping' technology that lets them use the existing online banking apps.
    Thanks for this - any accounting packages you know that work with BoI?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 fermtri

Just also registering my disappointment that BOI doesn't link to Xero or similar...seriously backward

Advertisement