Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

open viewings

Options
  • 12-01-2018 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi All,

Just starting to have a look into buying property. For now We want to have a look at what is available. What is best source to find property open viewings? or is it best to make appointments with the agent themselves?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

LostGirl21 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Just starting to have a look into buying property. For now We want to have a look at what is available. What is best source to find property open viewings? or is it best to make appointments with the agent themselves?
    Thanks

Daft have an open viewings "On Show??" section.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 LostGirl21

Askthe EA wrote: »
    Daft have an open viewings "On Show??" section.

Where would I find it on daft? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 31,075 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

If you're going to open viewings, just prepare yourself for weirdness.

If you're seriously interested rather than just tyre-kicking, try and arrange a private viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Lumen wrote: »
    If you're going to open viewings, just prepare yourself for weirdness.

If you're seriously interested rather than just tyre-kicking, try and arrange a private viewing.

Weirdness ??

D3V!L wrote: »
    Weirdness ??
    For instance, people expressing negative views about the property in loud voices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

if a property has been on the market for a while (longer than a month) then you may need to call the estate agent to organise a private viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

http://www.daft.ie

People use this site a lot for selling houses. You can find lots of details on open viewings in the locations you're looking at.

I'd say it is a good idea to just start going to open viewings to get a feel for the area and what you want in a house. When we started looking we went to plenty of open viewings even if we weren't terribly sure if we were interested. I found it was a good thing, and you picked up on what you did and didn't like, and even got a feel for the kind of questions people asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

We found going on Estates Agents websites very useful for finding properties in our area that are on show. It seems like there's tends to be only one or two Estate Agents that dominate a particular area (well in our case this was true) so we were able to find the viewings that were not on Daft (not all houses are in Daft).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I made the experience that if the property is newly listed and you call the EA about it they'll only give you the open viewing dates (and they usually have 2-3 of them). I went to a lot of open viewings and the best thing is just to ignore other parties, what they think isn't relevant at the slightest.
    When I started looking at houses I made a list of open viewings in the area on the Saturday and would go to 4 or 5 open viewings on that one day, simply to get an idea what's out there and what we like. I found that a very valuable thing to do when we started the house hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Set up alerts on Daft and get in early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Askthe EA

LostGirl21 wrote: »
    Where would I find it on daft? Thanks

https://www.daft.ie/ireland/houses-for-sale/?s[sort_by]=upcoming_viewing&s[sort_type]=a&s[ignore_ad_priority]=1(s[sort_type]=a

Not sure why thats not posting correctly, just copy teh whole thing into your browser and that will show you all advertised open viewings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Is it best to register in advance by ringing the EA or just showing up at the open viewing? Or does it matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

Set up alerts on Daft and get in early.

why not just buy off the plans?
    it worked out really well for all those folk in the early noughties ...

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Thestones

timmywex wrote: »
    Is it best to register in advance by ringing the EA or just showing up at the open viewing? Or does it matter?

It's does not matter, they will usually take your name when you turn up.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

For instance, people expressing negative views about the property in loud voices.
    People do this to drive in the hope it drives others away.
    why not just buy off the plans?
    it worked out really well for all those folk in the early noughties ...
    Houses on daft with open viewings are usually of the 2nd hand variety...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

"OH THIS IS THE HOUSE ALL THOSE PEOPLE WERE MURDERED IN"

the_syco wrote: »
    Sure, it's still weird though. The whole process was offputting, and I ended up buying somewhere I could take my time to wander round and think.

If the purpose of open viewings is to make the sales process more efficient by avoiding timewasters, I'd happily have paid some nominal fee (€50?) to get a private viewing.

If the purpose is to generate social proof by giving buyers the impression that there is loads of genuine interest, I very much doubt that it works.

• Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Sure, it's still weird though. The whole process was offputting, and I ended up buying somewhere I could take my time to wander round and think.

If the purpose of open viewings is to make the sales process more efficient by avoiding timewasters, I'd happily have paid some nominal fee (€50?) to get a private viewing.

If the purpose is to generate social proof by giving buyers the impression that there is loads of genuine interest, I very much doubt that it works.
    In a sellers market presumably it makes it easier for the vendor when they don't have to leave the house for an hour 20 times for 20 different viewings, and EAs don't have to be arsed organising lots of separate viewings at separate times.

awec wrote: »
    In a sellers market presumably it makes it easier for the vendor when they don't have to leave the house for an hour 20 times for 20 different viewings, and EAs don't have to be arsed organising lots of separate viewings at separate times.
    I don't buy the "sellers market" idea that's often used as an excuse for whatever dysfunction happens to be brought up.

Any functioning market will have lots of buyers and lots of sellers, and price whittles them down to matching pairs. If there are too many keen buyers then the price is too low. As a seller you want to be matched with the one person who will pay the price everyone else considers unreasonable. The EA may have other concerns, like time spent on each sale.

Open viewings have the perverse effect of encouraging tyre kickers (e.g. nosy neighbours) who are no real use to anyone whilst putting off genuine buyers.

Or maybe that's just me, and other people don't mind making the most important, emotional purchase of their lives in the presence of randomers passing remarks about rising damp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

They'll usually arrange for a private viewings for people who are serious about bidding! After obviously the initial open viewings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

the_syco wrote: »

I bet there's 10s of 1,000s of folk who wished they were driven away back then.

Advertisement