Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plant ID - What privet type

Options
  • 12-01-2018 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have some privet hedging and will soon be buying more. I'm not 100% sure what variety it is but I think it is Ligustrum vulgare. See attached photos. I'm guessing it is the Vulgare variety as the leaves are quite pointy.

Assuming it is this variety, would the Ovalifolium variety look a lot different if planted alongside and is that growth rate/habit/ultimate size similar? I ask because I see the Ovalifolium variety available at what looks like a good price for bare root stock from this crowd - http://www.thegardenshop.ie/bare-root-privet/. I only want about 25 of them.

I read that the Vulgare variety provides berries for birds in winter and attracts more bees in summer than Ovalifolium but on the flip side Ovalifolium holds on to its leaves better during a colder winter.

Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Vulgare, but why would you buy more it goes so well from cuttings. Just try a few in a bit of prepared ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭highdef

my3cents wrote: »
    Vulgare, but why would you buy more it goes so well from cuttings. Just try a few in a bit of prepared ground.
    Not a great time of year to be taking cuttings plus I'd like to have good growth established by the end of the year. If I were to take cuttings in the summer, I'd effectively be at least a year behind where I want to be by late summer.

Advertisement