Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mid terrace garden redesign

Options
  • 12-01-2018 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭

Hi,

If I have a back ‘Garden’ all covered in slabs and leveled into 3 sections to cut out the natural slope, plus there is a greenhouse in the middle that is block built a third of the way up and the only entrance to the back is through the house and down steep steps...... ie access is poor...... how easy would it be to change Garden back to some grass and remove the block built green house.

Obviously needs surveying but does this sound like a nightmare job due to access or is it something a garden designer contractor would be well used to and pretty normal?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 David delaney

Put a picture of the garden up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

Unfortunately it does't appear to be too easy to post an image.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Carting broken blockwork and building materials through the house and into a skip by hand is very time consuming and may put off contractors, my mother had several refuse to quote.

But this is a task suited to DIY if you're physically capable or can rope in friends and relatives.

The house I spent my teenage years in was similar, mid terrace on a hill, and had concrete terracing when we moved in. We had to get a guy in with a jackhammer to break it all up. 30 years later it's lovely and gives so much enjoyment.

It's a crap job but you only do it once.

Also, smashing stuff up with a sledgehammer is great fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Lumen wrote: »
    Carting broken blockwork and building materials through the house and into a skip by hand is very time consuming and may put off contractors, my mother had several refuse to quote.

But this is a task suited to DIY if you're physically capable or can rope in friends and relatives.

The house I spent my teenage years in was similar, mid terrace on a hill, and had concrete terracing when we moved in. We had to get a guy in with a jackhammer to break it all up. 30 years later it's lovely and gives so much enjoyment.

It's a crap job but you only do it once.

Also, smashing stuff up with a sledgehammer is great fun.

It's even more fun smashing stuff up with a Kango Hammer. Hire one if you can't borrow one. Might be possible to find a cheap wheelbarrow on Donedeal or Adverts. A handtruck might be better than a wheelbarrow for bringing paving slabs through the house.
    Make a big pot of Chilli and invite a bunch of able bodied friends/relatives for a Smashing Saturday.These volunteers may also be able to contribute tools and equipment.
    Get out a calculator and work out the volume of the material to be removed. The resulting figure will indicate whether it will fit into a cubic metre-sized Babyskip/Tonne Bag, or will require a full sized skip.
    If you can remove the paving slabs undamaged, sell them for a few bob on Donedeal or Adverts.... if they're a bit green-looking give them a spray of Patio Magic now.
    The glass and framing of the greenhouse, if it can be dismantled undamaged may also be of interest to another gardener.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

It's even more fun smashing stuff up with a Kango Hammer. Hire one if you can't borrow one. Might be possible to find a cheap wheelbarrow on Donedeal or Adverts. A handtruck might be better than a wheelbarrow for bringing paving slabs through the house.
    Make a big pot of Chilli and invite a bunch of able bodied friends/relatives for a Smashing Saturday.These volunteers may also be able to contribute tools and equipment.
    Get out a calculator and work out the volume of the material to be removed. The resulting figure will indicate whether it will fit into a cubic metre-sized Babyskip/Tonne Bag, or will require a full sized skip.
    If you can remove the paving slabs undamaged, sell them for a few bob on Donedeal or Adverts.... if they're a bit green-looking give them a spray of Patio Magic now.
    The glass and framing of the greenhouse, if it can be dismantled undamaged may also be of interest to another gardener.

Haha good advice actually (chili included)

• Advertisement
Advertisement