Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intermittant Excel Issue

Options
  • 12-01-2018 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, really hoping you can help cos it's doing my head in.

Intermittently in MS Excel it will go completely screwy. The left arrow will enter "qwertyuio" in the cell, then move up a row. "Del" will enter 'n' in the cell, then open the review panel, the magnifier, and the MS Office Help page. Scoll stops working. It seems to happen in Excel, but when it happens it affects everything.

This is not replicable, I have no idea what causes it. One second I'll be typing away, the next everything's borked. Any ideas?

I've run AVG, McAfee, CCleaner, MalwareBites. Nothing has helped. The only way to stop it is to restart the machine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Halfbaker

Swap your keyboard for another. If you are on a laptop, plug a keyboard into a USB port and disable the laptop keyboard in device manager.
    If the problem goes away you'll have found the culprit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Thanks, i'll get a USB one and see if that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Does it do this on other, not office related apps(notepad, file explorer, browser)?
    Run Excel in safe mode and see if it goes away
    1. Close all Excel sheets
    2. press WIN key + R
    3. type excel.exe /safe and hit enter.

If this is not beverage spillage :D on your keyboard it could be poor Add-in.
    Running safe mode would eliminate those.

Advertisement