Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AllTogetherNow Festival 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

I'm not going in a campervan but, surely no gas cylinders nearly negates even going in a campervan?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

One of the weather models is just in the middle of its current run, once that's done I'll update with my forecast, maybe around lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

erica74 wrote: »
    I'm not going in a campervan but, surely no gas cylinders nearly negates even going in a campervan?

It really does.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭boomshakalaka

I asked specifically about built in gas systems

Response was:

"Sorry no gas cylinders allowed on site . Gas will be confiscated on entry"

I'm not in a campervan and never have been either, but from my understanding a lot of the gas cylinders are actually built in, right?

I'll be getting my popcorn and watching security "confiscate" the built in cylinders from a campervan. Surely they'd have to confiscate the van in that case? :confused::P

erica74 wrote: »

No, not really. I mean, certainly having the stove and (potentially) a gas powered fridge is very useful. But even without those you still have a much quieter sleeping space than a tent; a much more comfortable bed to lie on; better temperature control; potentially you'll have a shower (even room temperature water would do for a shower by Sunday morning at a festival!) and toilet available to you also.

• Advertisement

I'm not in a campervan and never have been either, but from my understanding a lot of the gas cylinders are actually built in, right?

I'll be getting my popcorn and watching security "confiscate" the built in cylinders from a campervan. Surely they'd have to confiscate the van in that case? :confused::P

Nah, they're generally removable so that you can replace or refill them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Can anyone help me out on some info please??
    We have to get home on the Friday night via taxi to Waterford (Babysitting issues) but i'm a bit confused with the shuttle bus. If we wanted the taxi to arrive at midnight do i get a shuttle bus back to the main enterance to get my taxi? and are these shuttle buses going until that time, can we walk to the main enterance?

MJohnston wrote: »
    No, not really. I mean, certainly having the stove and (potentially) a gas powered fridge is very useful. But even without those you still have a much quieter sleeping space than a tent; a much more comfortable bed to lie on; better temperature control; potentially you'll have a shower (even room temperature water would do for a shower by Sunday morning at a festival!) and toilet available to you also.

I dunno about this. Having the caravan with no cooker, no hot water and no fridge really is a proper downer. I only bought my caravan for festivals. In the 8 years I have been at festivals in campervans and caravans, I have never seen this rule before and it really makes me wonder what I paid 60 quid for if I cant even use the facilities of the van.

Boooourns wrote: »
    Can anyone help me out on some info please??
    We have to get home on the Friday night via taxi to Waterford (Babysitting issues) but i'm a bit confused with the shuttle bus. If we wanted the taxi to arrive at midnight do i get a shuttle bus back to the main enterance to get my taxi? and are these shuttle buses going until that time, can we walk to the main enterance?

It's unclear how late the Portlaw shuttle buses will run, so I can't answer that bit.

The walk from the festival site to Portlaw is about 2.8km using the most direct route, but again it's unclear whether that route will be accessible. The walk from the E1 entrance is an extra half a km.

I dunno about this. Having the caravan with no cooker, no hot water and no fridge really is a proper downer. I only bought my caravan for festivals. In the 8 years I have been at festivals in campervans and caravans, I have never seen this rule before and it really makes me wonder what I paid 60 quid for if I cant even use the facilities of the van.

Sure I mean it makes a mockery of the 60 euro, but you should try a year in a tent if you think a caravan/campervan doesn't offer anything other than the cooker/fridge ;)

• Advertisement

Sure I mean it makes a mockery of the 60 euro, but you should try a year in a tent if you think a caravan/campervan doesn't offer anything other than the cooker/fridge ;)

I am way past tents thanks. That seems like a past life. My local supplier has little 5Kg bottles ... that will do pig!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

It’s patently daft to remove the facility for using your camper’s fridge, washing, and cooking facilities for the weekend, given that any camper will already have checked and approved gas safety before getting insurance. It’s also riddled with contradictions. A LPG powered camper (or indeed car, in the car park) is allowable, so the gas is grand for driving, but not for anything else. A diesel cooker/heater in a camper is seemingly allowable, so what makes that naked flame safer than a gas one? Of course the reality will be that no-one is going to care, or check, that your camper has a gas cylinder, over the weekend, so the rule is just another pointless posture.

Intended to bring a camper, but it didn’t happen in time (ongoing conversion). If it goes next year (here’s hoping), it’ll go with an undeclared gas hob (and electric fridge). Daft rule.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Brian_Dart

Does anybody know what the general campsite will be like? Currently packing for rain/Sun/snow/end of the world. Wellies are a definite but any other tips are welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Boooourns

It's unclear how late the Portlaw shuttle buses will run, so I can't answer that bit.

The walk from the festival site to Portlaw is about 2.8km using the most direct route, but again it's unclear whether that route will be accessible. The walk from the E1 entrance is an extra half a km.

Cheers, yeah it's all a bit up in the air. We're camping the Saturday and Sunday but for anyone who does need to get back in that night it's very unclear.
    Certaintly not walking the 3km so they really should provide more info on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Brian_Dart wrote: »
    Does anybody know what the general campsite will be like? Currently packing for rain/Sun/snow/end of the world. Wellies are a definite but any other tips are welcome!

It'll be in a field. Are you looking for a geological survey?

Yes please, preferably what type of rock is underneath, porous or volcanic...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

A bit of rain today and tomorrow with perhaps a shower Friday, but wouldn't have thought it'll cut up too much with the lack of rain over the last month or two.

General camping should be fine with what appears to be a slightly older, mellower crew. Certainly shouldn't be anything like the downtown Beirut I saw on a wander through Jimi Hendrix at EP last year (God bless Pink Moon).

Forecast looks decent (but just awaiting MJohnston to confirm from the current model). I'm certainly not bringing wellies and fully expect to be in shorts and t-shirt for the weekend, with perhaps an auld geansaí for the evening. After that, plenty o'sauce and some loose morals should see you right!

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭boomshakalaka

LOL

Yea tbh, none of us have been here before so it'll be a surprise for all of us. The ground looks fairly even but hopefully the rain stops soon so the ground isn't too muddy.

Ill just give some general camping tips, off the top of my head

General all weather camping gear you'll need is:
    * Wellies or some other form of water tight shoes
    * Lots of socks in case your feet do get wet
    * I also always bring trainers or something of the like as I'm still hopeful the weather is going to be sweet
    * Bring a rain jacket / poncho or a proper jacket. I usually bring out the crusty poncho (it's not actually crusty) for festivals, so I don't bring my proper jacket but a light rainjacket or poncho to go over it.
    * Hoodies are the best, but layering up in general is a good shout for being outside all day
    * In my experience tents are hot AF, so don't bother bringing extra blankets and what not as it's probably not going to be very cold at night time that you'd need them
    * Depending on what your sleeping arrangements are, I usually leave a black bin bag in the "porch" or just inside the tent, depending on size, to keep mud and water and muddy shoes outside of my precious space.
    * BRING SUNSCREEN
    * Bring a hat. Good for hiding bad hair, but also to keep your head dry / out of the sun. Shades are a good shout day and night depending what you're at ;-)
    * When you're putting up the tent (if you are), make sure the outside layer is not touching the inside layer of the tent (this happens if you don't put it up tight enough, or if you put stuff against the "wall" on the inside). It will cause your stuff to get damp inside the tent

EDIT: Could be that you didn't ask this / are well experienced at festival camping. In that case, ignore

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

I can't imagine it being too bad. Especially not if the rain holds off.
    Bring a few black sacks and keep your own space clean. Stay away from any main walkways to avoid the worst of any mud.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Yes please, preferably what type of rock is underneath, porous or volcanic...

Think it's Glam Rock....sorry

• Advertisement

LOL

Yea tbh, none of us have been here before so it'll be a surprise for all of us. The ground looks fairly even but hopefully the rain stops soon so the ground isn't too muddy.

* I also always bring trainers or something of the like as I'm still hopeful the weather is going to be sweet
    * Bring a rain jacket / poncho or a proper jacket. I usually bring out the crusty poncho (it's not actually crusty) for festivals, so I don't bring my proper jacket but a light rainjacket or poncho to go over it.
    * Hoodies are the best, but layering up in general is a good shout for being outside all day
    * In my experience tents are hot AF, so don't bother bringing extra blankets and what not as it's probably not going to be very cold at night time that you'd need them
    * Depending on what your sleeping arrangements are, I usually leave a black bin bag in the "porch" or just inside the tent, depending on size, to keep mud and water and muddy shoes outside of my precious space.
    * BRING SUNSCREEN
    * Bring a hat. Good for hiding bad hair, but also to keep your head dry / out of the sun. Shades are a good shout day and night depending what you're at ;-)
    * When you're putting up the tent (if you are), make sure the outside layer is not touching the inside layer of the tent (this happens if you don't put it up tight enough, or if you put stuff against the "wall" on the inside). It will cause your stuff to get damp inside the tent

EDIT: Could be that you didn't ask this / are well experienced at festival camping. In that case, ignore

Black plastic bags, knew I was forgetting something! Cheers. Pink moon has us ruined!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

LOL

* BRING SUNSCREEN

Solid advice for newbies!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

General advice. Don't be the person who travels the distance and realises the tickets are back on the kitchen table about 20 meters from the festival gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Blu2015

Go you ya rebel 😆😅quote="The flush;107674726"]Been to ep in a caravan for years and never once asked about gas I know it's down on the dos and donts. But campers and caravans need gas for heating , hot water , and fridges. I will be taking it with me as I'd say most people will .[/quote]

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭eplady2017

Ah lads will ye stop worrying about the rain. You'll get me all panicked as I'm not packing the usual wet gear that accompanies me to EP every year. I'm just packing for sunshine (with my loyal poncho thrown in) , not a wellie in sight..

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭eplady2017

Yeah just a weekend volunteering slot this year as its their first. :) Will be onsite Thursday evening.

Any chance of an update Thurs regarding ground condition etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭danois

I don’t do many festivals, this will actually only be my second. First one I went to the trek to camp is all uphill and it feels like miles. It’s was total torture. Can anyone local tell me if the site is hilly?

Trying to figure out what bags to bring and if I will need a hand truck.

Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,440 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

eplady2017 wrote: »
    Any chance of an update Thurs regarding ground condition etc..

Good to soft - maybe a bit hard on the finishing straight ....

:D:P
    Neigh ....bours

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 10,440 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

danois wrote: »
    I don’t do many festivals, this will actually only be my second. First one I went to the trek to camp is all uphill and it feels like miles. It’s was total torture. Can anyone local tell me if the site is hilly?

Trying to figure out what bags to bring and if I will need a hand truck.

Thanks all.

Its a bit 'rolling' .... :pac: as it 'gently' heads down towards the lake and House.

Bring the hand truck :)

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Neroli

Hello,
    Apologies if already answered or a stupid question...
    Is there an official line on the alcohol allowance and combining beer and spirits?
    The Faqs say
    "each person on a weekend camping ticket only is allowed to bring 48 cans OR 1 litre of Spirits OR 1.5 litre of Wine for personal consumption"

I'd assume it would be ok to split it between cans and spirits but don't want to find out I'm wrong!!!

Advertisement