Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AllTogetherNow Festival 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭showpony1

they'll definitely need to expand the campsite and the arena in that corridor where the 3 main tents were if adding 5000 people
    pity now hopefully its not completely jammed next year was very handy walking right up to front of main stage for acts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

As I said after this year, you could really tell they had plans to expand by a lot and rapidly, because the site was way bigger than the capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Would agree with this for the main arena, but the general camping was rammed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Wouldn't be surprised to see the old Electric Arena back again, I think that was the property of John Reynolds, EP stopped using it after 2012 I think.

427821_4091524440636_1965810584_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=0416af712243ab1a1b276fc8840b1281&oe=5C0C369C

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭gaffolino

Wouldn't be surprised to see the old Electric Arena back again, I think that was the property of John Reynolds, EP stopped using it after 2012 I think.

427821_4091524440636_1965810584_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=0416af712243ab1a1b276fc8840b1281&oe=5C0C369C

Shows how well I remember each Picnic, I didn't even realise it was missing:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lbj666

showpony1 wrote: »
    they'll definitely need to expand the campsite and the arena in that corridor where the 3 main tents were if adding 5000 people
    pity now hopefully its not completely jammed next year was very handy walking right up to front of main stage for acts etc.

The tree lined avenue down to the house has the potential to be a serious bottle neck if they up capacity so they need make more routes down there.

The main arena will probably eat into this year's campsite, the campsite will go way further back.

They have to be smart though marketing this as a proper family festival and then ramming the place with bodies won't work.

I remember seeing from this year's planning drawings they planned having big stage in the court yard of the house which might happen next year.

As for line up, one thing it has going for it is that its the same weekend as bestival and that's no longer on the isle of wight either so they would be able to pluck some acts. Getting to portlaw is a lot tougher than getting to stradbally or ballinlough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Depends on where you're coming from. I've always been stuck in traffic heading to the picnic, traffic was flowing freely to ATN.

Depends on where you're coming from. I've always been stuck in traffic heading to the picnic, traffic was flowing freely to ATN.

I don't think that was the poster's point though

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

First time poster in this thread as I recently picked up a ticket. I'm an EP veteran so to speak, prior to this year's EP I had bought my ATN ticket and made a conscious decision with a group of friends to do ATN in 2019 instead of the Picnic. I have high expectations, genuinely hoping POD can recreate those early EP vibes. From what I have read and heard from friends I know this year was a fantastic festival, and I think POD will have learned a lot from it, listened to feedback and adjusted accordingly. The 20% increase is just the nature of the beast, they took a massive gamble entering an already busy festival circuit and made a loss, as mentioned already on here they were a few thousand short of capacity. If they want to grow the line-up and amenities for a bigger festival next year they need extra revenue and ticket prices is the natural way to do it. They have foregone big corporate sponsorship such as Heineken so punters need to be able to take the rough with the smooth. This enables a free flow policy which save punters a lot of money. Anyway I'm already looking forward to it and can't wait till they start dropping the lineup hopefully later in the year. It's going to be weird not picking up my EP tickets this week mind you.

This argument about increasing tickets in order to grow the line up and the amenities doesn't ring true to me. The lineup didn't need to grow, it was big enough it just wasn't diverse enough, and there were tonnes of amenities (probably double what the place actually needed). They could also have just maintained the capacity from this year, kept the ticket prices for Tier 1 and 2 the same, and then waited until they actually hit the current capacity before growing again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

MJohnston wrote: »
    This argument about increasing tickets in order to grow the line up and the amenities doesn't ring true to me. The lineup didn't need to grow, it was big enough it just wasn't diverse enough, and there were tonnes of amenities (probably double what the place actually needed). They could also have just maintained the capacity from this year, kept the ticket prices for Tier 1 and 2 the same, and then waited until they actually hit the current capacity before growing again.

They could have done that if they weren't in a loss making situation, but at the end of the day it's a business and they need to make money not lose it. I understand both sides of the argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭eplady2017

I'm happy to pay the few quid extra for my ticket this year.. That my however change when we get a sniff of the first few acts.. Do we expect a few names end Nov to maybe push some christmas sales???

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

They could have done that if they weren't in a loss making situation, but at the end of the day it's a business and they need to make money not lose it. I understand both sides of the argument.

This article, albeit about the situation in the UK makes for scary reading for anyone who takes the risk in setting up a music festival:

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jul/09/cost-of-staging-music-festival

Never realised quite how much money it costs for electricity, stretching to £100,000 in some festivals. And £1m for the security and police payments is another major expense.

I honestly don't know how anyone organises a festival other than a really massive one like Glastonbury (with ticket sales into £20m) or a really small 500 people one with most of the bands knowing the organisers and no security/food etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭risteardo

Toast wrote: »
    I really hope you are wrong but it sounds plausible. I basically want an End of the Road for Ireland. ATN had a lot of the bits to do that in place. Kid friendly, scenic estate, good food and drink. The lineup and Arcadia made it something slightly different.

For anyone who did enjoy the calmer vibe and the setup I can't recommend End of the Road in the UK enough. It is expensive and a pain to get to (you get to see sunny Salisbury.. noted for the Magna Carta and Novichok) but the scales are tipped much more towards the twilight years crowd than ATN without becoming completely Wimbledon.

I'm just back from End of the Road. Despite the trek to get there, it has been my go-to festival since 2008. I starting reading this thread to see if I should switch to ATN instead, as it would be so much easier to get to and so much cheaper all round. But I'm not sure. EOTR has stayed around 15k for the past few years and always punches above its weight on the line up. Maybe I'll do both next year, just to compare and contrast :D

There are always a few Irish accents around EOTR, but never as many as I think there should be considering how bloody amazing it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

risteardo wrote: »
    I'm just back from End of the Road. Despite the trek to get there, it has been my go-to festival since 2008. I starting reading this thread to see if I should switch to ATN instead, as it would be so much easier to get to and so much cheaper all round. But I'm not sure. EOTR has stayed around 15k for the past few years and always punches above its weight on the line up. Maybe I'll do both next year, just to compare and contrast :D

There are always a few Irish accents around EOTR, but never as many as I think there should be considering how bloody amazing it is.

Was there too, first year and was thinking the same. Didn't hear one Irish accent apart from Ringo Music Bingo all weekend.

Shíte festival though. Defo not something I would recommend........

.......;)

Ill have a look at ATN closer to the date. Looks great but this years lineup should've been added to the Repeal the 8th referendum.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭risteardo

The Nal wrote: »
    Was there too, first year and was thinking the same. Didn't hear one Irish accent apart from Ringo Music Bingo all weekend.

Shíte festival though. Defo not something I would recommend........

.......;)

Ill have a look at ATN closer to the date. Looks great but this years lineup should've been added to the Repeal the 8th referendum.

I could handle a few more Irish, Scottish and northern English accents. Too many London and home counties accents for my ears :rolleyes:

You're right tho, avoid EOTR at all costs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭Alkers

After my ep experience this year and the near-unanimous feedback I've heard elsewhere, I don't think atn is going to be of any major concern to EP for the time being.
    With a plan to to Glastonbury next year, I don't think I'll make all 3 next year and atn is probably lowest on the list!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Simona1986 wrote: »
    After my ep experience this year and the near-unanimous feedback I've heard elsewhere, I don't think atn is going to be of any major concern to EP for the time being.
    With a plan to to Glastonbury next year, I don't think I'll make all 3 next year and atn is probably lowest on the list!

With the exception of criticism of their social media post festival, the funny water cups and a slight criticism of the amount of camping space in general, the feedback from ATN festival itself has been nothing but positive as far as I can tell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Simona1986 wrote: »

We will remember this when you come back here crying, when you don't win the glasto lottery and ATN has sold out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭homosapien91

Just bought a ticket today so the countdown is on, had a ball this year so really looking forward to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Is tier 1 sold out? Probably missed the boat because I lost a bit of interest when I saw the price

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

What’s the difference between tier 1 and tier 2?

Are they just early bird tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Im expecting Tame Impala headliner

pls pls pls

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Im expecting Tame Impala headliner

pls pls pls

That would be worth the ticket on its own ha , Maybe through in Weezer and Interpol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭ewj1978

What’s the difference between tier 1 and tier 2?

Are they just early bird tickets?

Just prices basically. Tier 1 sold out, now you pay more for tier 2. when 2 is gone its tier 3...

I and 4 others will be going for ATN this year. The vibe I'm getting is like the first EP I went to in 2012.
    Roll on paycheck next week when I'll pay for it all. :D

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Just prices basically. Tier 1 sold out, now you pay more for tier 2. when 2 is gone its tier 3...

I and 4 others will be going for ATN this year. The vibe I'm getting is like the first EP I went to in 2012.
    Roll on paycheck next week when I'll pay for it all. :D

Hmmmm I don't know, do you think the Cure and the likes of Squarepusher would be booked for ATN, that was the year the Killers played to, wasn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭Alkers

With the exception of criticism of their social media post festival, the funny water cups and a slight criticism of the amount of camping space in general, the feedback from ATN festival itself has been nothing but positive as far as I can tell

Haha, I meant the other way! After atn, myself and others were saying hmmm EP are going to feel a squeeze this year. Then after EP, where I probably had my best one in a few years (9th I think) I was thinking EP have nothing to worry about. Now I'm pissed at EP about the whole discount codes debacle!

I wouldn't expect anything too deep from an ATN lineup next year, at least in terms of headliners. This year was essentially Underworld, Fleet Foxes, and Chaka Khan as headliners, so I think that's the level we could expect. Honestly wish we could expect the Chemical Brothers as an Underworld-style act, been years since I've seen them and I've grown so much more fond of their music since then. But, they're at the 3Arena later this year, and that's an MCD gig, so probably very unlikely POD will book them again. Few years ago I'd have said someone like Basement Jaxx would have been possible, but they've been very quiet for years now. Groove Armada already "played" this year. Orbital played Beatyard this year. LCD are booked by other promoters. Daft Punk never tour.

Who does that leave of the big name dance music bands? Just looking back at POD's other events, Aphex has done Forbidden Fruit before, as has Caribou, so they're always possible. Leftfield? 2ManyDJs (I'd be very happy with this)?

Good god I hope they'd not book Fatboy Slim.

Curveball - Kraftwerk (POD booked them for the Picnic alllll the way back in 2005, so it's possible someone there still likes them!)

MJohnston wrote: »
    I wouldn't expect anything too deep from an ATN lineup next year, at least in terms of headliners. This year was essentially Underworld, Fleet Foxes, and Chaka Khan as headliners, so I think that's the level we could expect. Honestly wish we could expect the Chemical Brothers as an Underworld-style act, been years since I've seen them and I've grown so much more fond of their music since then. But, they're at the 3Arena later this year, and that's an MCD gig, so probably very unlikely POD will book them again. Few years ago I'd have said someone like Basement Jaxx would have been possible, but they've been very quiet for years now. Groove Armada already "played" this year. Orbital played Beatyard this year. LCD are booked by other promoters. Daft Punk never tour.

Who does that leave of the big name dance music bands? Just looking back at POD's other events, Aphex has done Forbidden Fruit before, as has Caribou, so they're always possible. Leftfield? 2ManyDJs (I'd be very happy with this)?

Good god I hope they'd not book Fatboy Slim.

Curveball - Kraftwerk (POD booked them for the Picnic alllll the way back in 2005, so it's possible someone there still likes them!)

I think Aphex would be to intense an act for ATN to tell you the truth, if he was booked he'd probably play the second biggest stage in the marquee and that tent Something Rather Wonderful would be too small for his audience, he's much too nasty I think for the main stage, what with all that gabba, drill and bass stuff. You'll never know though, he hasn't played an Irish camping music festival since 2008. He seems to prefer playing one dayers and knocking off at 12 these days.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I wouldn't be clamouring for Aphex myself, but he's an option considering POD seem to like booking him.

Advertisement