Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AllTogetherNow Festival 2018

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Suckit wrote: »
    I would half agree with that. Not that I would never want to see them again but that they could definitely take a break at this stage.

I saw somebody mention that ATN could increase to 30,000 next year :eek:
    Not sure I would be into that much of an increase in size in one year.
    Even 20,000 seems excessive.
    I don't see them doubling in a year but you never know sure

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    personally I never want to see The Chemical Brothers or The Prodigy or Orbital or Leftfield or Massive Attack rolled out for an Irish Festival again.

The auld reliables - yawn-fest.

I say that as someone who has a ticket for the chemical brothers in October and as a fan of all of the above. It's just the same **** different year.

now who'd replace them..that is the question!

It's 9 years since Basement Jaxx have done a proper gig here I think. I'd be there if they were at it. They've done dj sets, but their full band, live gig is headline material. The year Bowie pulled out of Oxegen (04 I think) they were bumped up to headline the second stage and stole the show. They were about
    the only thing that managed to sound good on the main stage of EP 2009 too (sound was awful that year) and I think closed the main arena.

I'd always have time for Massive Attack too personally, and Orbital, but only if they're on point.

The old reliables are the only ones who they can get to put on a big enough production on a big stage I guess unless they want to go down the awful "EDM" route.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

Weepsie wrote: »
    It's 9 years since Basement Jaxx have done a proper gig here I think. I'd be there if they were at it. They've done dj sets, but their full band, live gig is headline material. The year Bowie pulled out of Oxegen (04 I think) they were bumped up to headline the second stage and stole the show. They were about
    the only thing that managed to sound good on the main stage of EP 2009 too (sound was awful that year) and I think closed the main arena.

I'd always have time for Massive Attack too personally, and Orbital, but only if they're on point.

The old reliables are the only ones who they can get to put on a big enough production on a big stage I guess unless they want to go down the awful "EDM" route.

Groove Armada have just announced a set of live shows, their first in 7 years, full band. That would be a real coup for POD, whether at FFF or ATN

I'd rate Groove Armada well down on the pecking order of these bands to be honest. Their big beat stuff was never close to Chemical Brothers stuff. Their live act was never as good as Basement Jaxx either.

It's all subjective though I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

funny I was just thinking about Basement Jaxx -wonder what's going on with them. They're fantastic live. Faithless are also due a come back. I think they've had enough time off the circuit :P

Really looking froward to seeing the chemics indoors this October. I'd similarly love to see Orbital inside - I was a bit reluctant to give up my beatyard ticket this year knowing I'd miss them in that smaller setting.

• Advertisement

personally I never want to see The Chemical Brothers or The Prodigy or Orbital or Leftfield or Massive Attack rolled out for an Irish Festival again.

I say that as someone who has a ticket for the chemical brothers in October and as a fan of all of the above. It's just the same **** different year.

The problem being the Irish market is saturated with festivals now, whereas there once was Oxegen and EP that could only draw those acts now there is ATN, FFF, Longitude, Beatyard and EP. Therefore there acts are playing here what seems like every other year now. I've seen Chems at 3 festivals since 2011 and I'll see them next month, MA 4 times since 2010 etc. I love these bands, they put on great shows and are fans favourites across Europe at massive festivals such as Glasto etc. Arguably there isn't any other such acts in the pipeline of that calibre and genre..upcoming acts like Disclosure perhaos could hold their own on a main stage but there isn't a whole lot else, the Jaxx possibly but they've been away for a long time, Groove Armada likewise. I seen Faithless at IMMA a couple of years ago, brilliant but I'm not sure they plan reuniting again any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

I'd rate Groove Armada well down on the pecking order of these bands to be honest. Their big beat stuff was never close to Chemical Brothers stuff. Their live act was never as good as Basement Jaxx either.

agreed - they're also terrible DJs, their ATN yoke was rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The problem is that dance music just hasn't produced any subsequent acts that have reached the level of widespread attention that the old reliables did. Or, it has, but they're the likes of Guetta, Avici, etc.

The only ones that come vaguely close are big crossover bands that rely heavily on electronic elements like Caribou, LCD Soundsystem, The XX, Hot Chip.

2ManyDJs are about the only dance music act I can think of that sits on the more underground side that has achieved a more recent level of fame. And they're just DJs! (I know, Soulwax aren't, but the Soulwax part of their persona has never been nearly as widely popular as the 2ManyDJs thing)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

One thing I never bother with at festivals is:

<INSERT_BIG_ACT_NAME> (DJ Set)

, the Jaxx possibly but they've been away for a long time, Groove Armada likewise. I seen Faithless at IMMA a couple of years ago, brilliant but I'm not sure they plan reuniting again any time soon.

Jaxx have been constantly touring, but it's been pretty much just DJ sets. A lot less overheads, and probably coming out with similar money.

• Advertisement

It surprised me how poor they were. Saw them in Shine (Belfast) just over 10 years ago and they were absolutely superb, playing really great, fun house music.

The ATN set was just tech-house muck.

I've seen their live show a few times and it's great, they've headlined the Other stage at glasto in the mid noughties too, their material post big beat era lends itself to big headline shows. Their DJ shows are a bit of fun but seeing the full band and Andy Cato doing his thing is great.

I've seen their live show a few times and it's great, they've headlined the Other stage at glasto in the mid noughties too, their material post big beat era lends itself to big headline shows. Their DJ shows are a bit of fun but seeing the full band and Andy Cato doing his thing is great.

There was a period in the mid-noughties where Groove Armada were at almost any festival you would go to. They were everywhere at the time. I always enjoyed their live shows and went along many times.

Basement Jaxx were on a whole other level though. They were amazing live and I would love to see that (or a revised) show again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

There was a period in the mid-noughties where Groove Armada were at almost any festival you would go to. They were everywhere at the time. I always enjoyed their live shows and went along many times.

Basement Jaxx were on a whole other level though. They were amazing live and I would love to see that (or a revised) show again.

Didn't Basement Jaxx play Indiependence a few years ago as well.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

They might well have done. I only went to Indiependence once as I just couldn't put up with the extremely over-zealous security checks entering the arena. "Im sorry? You want me to take off my trainers so you can check in my socks?"

Jaysus they did and all, 2015, live band too. It was in a tent and it was possibly expected to be a dj set but it was not

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭roll

Jaysus they did and all, 2015, live band too. It was in a tent and it was possibly expected to be a dj set but it was not

I was at this and Basement Jaxx were way better than I was expecting (was never a huge fan). They had a horn section that complimented their music rather fantastically well. Of course, I mainly remember Indie15 for being the first time I drank craft beer at a festival. Indiependence is a small festival on a relatively small site. I spent the guts of three hours trying to find the campsite after 1am and had to leave the next morning to recover. Vowed never to complain about watery Heineken ever again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Questions for anyone in the caravan site this year.....

Gas allowed in?
    Awnings allowed?
    Elec hook up?

Cheers

Give me a bit of this late night on the main stage no problem https://youtu.be/nEdYhdS_qjA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Seen Groove Armada on Bondi Beach New Years Eve many years ago and they were class. One of them did a DJ set after and it too was brilliant. Haven't seen them since so would love for them to make an appearance.

Still one of my favourite ever songs

• Advertisement

Questions for anyone in the caravan site this year.....

Gas allowed in?
    Awnings allowed?
    Elec hook up?

Cheers

Gas was easily snuck in, but not allowed.
    Awnings were not allowed, and there was no space for them at all. Seen a few people try to squeeze them in though.
    No electric hookup, there's never any at festivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

MJohnston wrote: »
    Gas was easily snuck in, but not allowed.
    Awnings were not allowed, and there was no space for them at all. Seen a few people try to squeeze them in though.

Thanks, going in the caravan next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭mimimcmc

roll wrote: »
    I was at this and Basement Jaxx were way better than I was expecting (was never a huge fan). They had a horn section that complimented their music rather fantastically well. Of course, I mainly remember Indie15 for being the first time I drank craft beer at a festival. Indiependence is a small festival on a relatively small site. I spent the guts of three hours trying to find the campsite after 1am and had to leave the next morning to recover. Vowed never to complain about watery Heineken ever again!

I was also at this and it was brilliant! I think I was expecting the dj set, but the full band and horn section was just excellent! Danced our socks off :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I saw 'em at Witness in 2002, and they were ace. I'd be happy to see them announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭paulieeye

I saw 'em at Witness in 2002, and they were ace. I'd be happy to see them announced.

I was there Gandalf. Excellent live

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Listen to you shower and your dancey electronic warblings. Did we not agree that what Curraghmore lacked last time out was guitars? Take away Mogwai and you were struggling to find one. Shame playing shortly in Dublin with Fontaines DC and Murder Capital also on bill. Latter 2 great in Stradbally. A bit more of that sort of thing please. Hak Baker and Stella Donnelly, both also at EP, struck me as models for ATN.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Dixon Bainbridge

Stillill42 wrote: »
    Listen to you shower and your dancey electronic warblings. Did we not agree that what Curraghmore lacked last time out was guitars? Take away Mogwai and you were struggling to find one. Shame playing shortly in Dublin with Fontaines DC and Murder Capital also on bill. Latter 2 great in Stradbally. A bit more of that sort of thing please. Hak Baker and Stella Donnelly, both also at EP, struck me as models for ATN.
    I wasnt there but looked like a lack of guitar music at it. I love electronic music too but think there should be a better balance.
    Would love to see some bands next year who appeal to the older crowd the festival seems to be geared towards. The likes of charlatans, suede,happy mondays,saint Etienne ,the coral,gaz coombes would be great. Throw in a few classic djs like greg wilson or andrew wearherall too

• Registered Users Posts: 6,053 ✭✭✭D.Q

Greg Wilson would be unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭Penfailed

MJohnston wrote: »

Except Vantastival.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I’m looking at the boutique options for next year. Anyone any feedback or recommendations?

Advertisement