Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AllTogetherNow Festival 2018

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

Easy Rod wrote: »
    I’m looking at the boutique options for next year. Anyone any feedback or recommendations?

Any reason why? Was the normal camping too much? I bought a ticket for this year but couldn't go in the end. We looked at the boutique camping but it was either a rip off for the pod pads or all you were getting was the rental of a tent (that was put up for you). The facilities in there didn't look great so we didn't bother. In the end we couldn't go. Have my tickets for next year though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Synode wrote: »
    Any reason why? Was the normal camping too much? I bought a ticket for this year but couldn't go in the end. We looked at the boutique camping but it was either a rip off for the pod pads or all you were getting was the rental of a tent (that was put up for you). The facilities in there didn't look great so we didn't bother. In the end we couldn't go. Have my tickets for next year though
    I haven’t general camped at a festival in 5 years and I’m not ready to return in my mid-thirties! I’ve become far too used to the dark side!!

Didn’t go to ATN this year but moving over from EP this year. There’ll be 5/6 of us so just looking for general feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Easy Rod wrote: »
    I haven’t general camped at a festival in 5 years and I’m not ready to return in my mid-thirties! I’ve become far too used to the dark side!!

Didn’t go to ATN this year but moving over from EP this year. There’ll be 5/6 of us so just looking for general feedback.

We stayed in Tangerine fields. Handy to have the tent up and a bit of space (we were on the end of a row), but nowhere near as good as EP's Pink Moon for the amenities. Only a couple of showers/toilets and all felt a little cramped. They could do with extending the whole boutique/family/caravan area really as I think they misjudged the size needed.

Will still book it next year though as I can't be arsed putting up/taking down the tent!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

We've booked a Bellepad with podpads for next year, at a minimum for the prices they are charging I'd expect clean toilers, ample showering facilities, and some form of cafe / bar in the Boutique site for breakfast / coffees. It should be pretty standard for any festival that offers this facility.

From what I am reading about this year's ATN that doesn't seem to be the case?

Also, am I right is assuming it's a bit of a trek to the arena from Boutique? Another benefit really should be easy access.

We've booked a Bellepad with podpads for next year, at a minimum for the prices they are charging I'd expect clean toilers, ample showering facilities, and some form of cafe / bar in the Boutique site for breakfast / coffees. It should be pretty standard for any festival that offers this facility.

From what I am reading about this year's ATN that doesn't seem to be the case?

Also, am I right is assuming it's a bit of a trek to the arena from Boutique? Another benefit really should be easy access.

Not sure what the toilet/shower facilities were like for the podpads. There was a place to get coffees at the entrance to the festival, but it was little more than a van with fairly hefty queues.

While it was a trek to the main arena, it was very close to the house/lawns of tranquillity/foodie spots etc... so it was nice to stroll through there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

More an aside than anything but I arrived on Saturday and stayed in overfill general campsite which was I'd say less than a fifth full if even that. Toilets were grand cos of fewer people there. Don't think it will be same this year if they're increasing capacity tho..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Eod100 wrote: »
    More an aside than anything but I arrived on Saturday and stayed in overfill general campsite which was I'd say less than a fifth full if even that. Toilets were grand cos of fewer people there. Don't think it will be same this year if they're increasing capacity tho..

Was that the one close to the One Love stage?

MJohnston wrote: »
    Was that the one close to the One Love stage?

Yup that was the one!

MJohnston wrote: »

Close to 2 months later. Wouldn't blame them from going public . Paying your acts is a fairly basic things too. Well it is, if you want to continue the festival past it's first year. Fairly amateur stuff

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Close to 2 months later. Wouldn't blame them from going public . Paying your acts is a fairly basic things too. Well it is, if you want to continue the festival past it's first year. Fairly amateur stuff

Presumably ticketmaster pay them the ticket money fairly promptly, and the vendors and advertisers pay them in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Has everyone got paid?
    If not, how come nobody else has commented?

Suckit wrote: »
    Has everyone got paid?

At least one other band/act has

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Suckit wrote: »
    Has everyone got paid?

Id say they are reluctant to mention it in public until it gets really bad

• Registered Users Posts: 12,590 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Has a lineup been announced for 2019 yet?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Has a lineup been announced for 2019 yet?

Nothing yet afaik. There could potentially be announcements after Metropolis to get some sales before Christmas but that's only a hunch. Suppose when there's only been the 1 festival, it's hard to gauge a timeline. Might depend what EP are doing too.

Apparently EP's next ticket sale will be early next year. And they're increasing capacity to 57,500. Presume that includes day tickets too but increase might discourage some people from attending..

2018's lineup was announced at the end of February this year, so I would imagine the same will hold true for 2019. Of course, they might accelerate that schedule, but EP announces 6 months before too, so I would expect it no earlier than February.

In relation to bands not getting paid for festivals a few years ago there were a number of articles released about this, iirc Jim Carroll was very vocal about it, an awful lot of Irish festivals were guilty of it, non payment, delayed payment etc. And payments weren't always cash, some festivals paid in kind, which was agreed with bands upfront. It's not just a POD problem, I think EP were included at the time. It's a disgrace obviously but it's a widespread issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

It's also not something that is unique to festivals in Ireland, sadly. It is something that is prevalent throughout every creative industry in the country. There's some very well known venues and promoters in this country who are notorious for dragging their heels when it comes to smaller/independent acts in particular.

It's obviously abhorrent - fair pay for fair work isn't too much to ask for - and it is particularly timely in the context of the recent social media posts by David Kitt and Ships about housing situations, etc.

Also, not unique to music. And while not accusing any one of anything nefarious, it is very disappointing to see that it remains such an issue.

I'd also suggest that profits may be very tight or indeed not existent at some festivals and the small Irish bands are the ones that either aren't paid or are last to be paid. It's a **** trick but in all walks of life this in generally the case. It's also worthwhile to note that Bestival is gone into administration, from the outside looking in a very successful festival that is massively in debt.

• Advertisement

I'd also suggest that profits may be very tight or indeed not existent at some festivals and the small Irish bands are the ones that either aren't paid or are last to be paid. It's a **** trick but in all walks of life this in generally the case. It's also worthwhile to note that Bestival is gone into administration, from the outside looking in a very successful festival that is massively in debt.

Is the problem with Bestival that they had to give refunds this year due to being washed out by the rain?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭Rigor Mortis

Is the problem with Bestival that they had to give refunds this year due to being washed out by the rain?

That didnt help, but the suggestion in some of the coverage is that they had obtained the loans before that. The nature of the financing might suggest that they didnt have a lot of options open to them. Now the guys that loaned them the money have effectively taken over the show.

This Blog has more details.

I have absolute respect for anyone who puts on a festival. There are a million things that could go wrong but even if everything works out they need to sell 90% of tickets or thereabouts to break even.

My impression, based on no information at all, is that ATN probably made a slight loss this year as a loss leader for next year. Even with the negative publicity re bands not being paid, twitter meltdowns, increased capacity and increased ticket prices, I hope it sells out for 2019 year or close enough to it!

The campervan tickets have all sold out already anyway. Makes me about 80% less likely to go next year tbh as I was waiting on a lineup to get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭MattD

In relation to bands not getting paid for festivals a few years ago there were a number of articles released about this, iirc Jim Carroll was very vocal about it, an awful lot of Irish festivals were guilty of it, non payment, delayed payment etc. And payments weren't always cash, some festivals paid in kind, which was agreed with bands upfront. It's not just a POD problem, I think EP were included at the time. It's a disgrace obviously but it's a widespread issue.
    Light Colour Sound 2014 was the main culprit of this at the time. Where like 90% of the acts were not paid and the organisers went udnerground basically. Worth a google for people who didn't see it at the time.

I have absolute respect for anyone who puts on a festival. There are a million things that could go wrong but even if everything works out they need to sell 90% of tickets or thereabouts to break even.

My impression, based on no information at all, is that ATN probably made a slight loss this year as a loss leader for next year. Even with the negative publicity re bands not being paid, twitter meltdowns, increased capacity and increased ticket prices, I hope it sells out for 2019 year or close enough to it!

If they're willing and able to operate at a loss so be it but hardly fair for bands not to be paid. Let whoever's backing them pay up. And like others have said it's usually smaller Irish bands who get caught out. They wouldn't do it do a headliner for obvious reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭fourmations

hi all

still struggling with the EP v ATN issue...

how was Tangerine Fields.....
    Did anyone stay in the blackout tents? can you sleep in them?
    One of my big issues is the impossibility of sleeping at EP
    the tents get mad hot by about 10am
    Im a mid 40s "reveller" and while im there to have a blast
    I do need a bit of kip, im no use if im really tired!
    i invariably stay up til around 5am every night
    thinking that i'll just sleep late but I never can
    between the oven hot tents and soundchecking,
    then i'm well tired all weekend!

I believe that TF wasnt a patch on pink moon
    are the toilets decent, any chance of getting a shower?
    have you a bit of room to yourself or are the tents
    on top of each other? i thought PM's toilets and showers
    were excellent this year, no manky, dark, filty portaloos

any other thoughts/comment welcome,
    i was very much on board for ATN next year instead of EP
    but i fear it wont match up to EP, particularly the line up,
    this year was my 8th EP and im enjoying it more every year
    despite the larger crowds and the increasing shift in music away from what i like
    (the boards thread is a god-sent really gets me excited for it)

I was sold on the older crowd at ATN but in reality ive no real issue with the EP crowd
    apart from the crowd bargers, but i reckon you'll get a**holes anywhere and its not age specific

cheers

If they're willing and able to operate at a loss so be it but hardly fair for bands not to be paid. Let whoever's backing them pay up. And like others have said it's usually smaller Irish bands who get caught out. They wouldn't do it do a headliner for obvious reasons

I'm not for a minute saying they shouldnt pay the bands. I'm just clarifying that I understand that there must be serious financial pressure on the organisers

You are correct in saying TF wasn't as good as PM. Myself and my wife stayed in the regular 2 man tents and they were pretty much on top of each other. We were lucky in that we were at the end of a row, so had a bit of room to sit out with a crew at least. Mates stayed in the larger tents with the blackout sections and they seemed to get a decent enough kip.

The toilets were quite far away from us (not great after you third can) and wouldn't be as fancy as Pink Moon either. Cleaned fairly regularly though. Didn't bother with the showers as we were only there for 2 nights, queues seemed fairly constantly large though as there were very few. A bar/food place with benches etc within the campsite would be something else that PM has over TF.

Another issue (not major) I found though was that, from Saturday morning on, they funnelled every new arrival (regular camping or boutique) through the TF campsite as the regular car park was full. As we were right by the path it was just a steady stream of people coming past us. Made the campsite feel way busier than it needed to be and took away from the point of boutique camping a bit. Great people watching though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭Stillill42

hi all

still struggling with the EP v ATN issue...

any other thoughts/comment welcome,
    i was very much on board for ATN next year instead of EP
    but i fear it wont match up to EP, particularly the line up,
    this year was my 8th EP and im enjoying it more every year
    despite the larger crowds and the increasing shift in music away from what i like
    (the boards thread is a god-sent really gets me excited for it)

I was sold on the older crowd at ATN but in reality ive no real issue with the EP crowd
    apart from the crowd bargers, but i reckon you'll get a**holes anywhere and its not age specific

cheers
    Would you consider off site? I stayed in a cottage in Piltown (8 or 9 km away?)with my missus, my sister and brother in law, 320 between us for the weekend. I know some people had a nightmare with the taxis but a kind local Boardsie pointed me in the direction of a local taxi guy who looked after us for the duration. Great sleeps, fancy shower, very little hassle getting on and off site.

I know it's not the same as being on site but as a fellow oul lad, the creature comforts do help. And the price of the boutique stuff does seem to getting fairly ludicrous. If they managed to get a bit more space, I'd chance the normal camping there. The crowd were very civilised last year.

Advertisement