Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rice Cookers and other kitchen gadgets......

Options
  • 11-01-2018 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭

Dial Hard wrote: »
    I have such a "thing" against single-function appliances. Yoghurt makers. Rice cookers. Tea-makers, ffs. What the hell is wrong with a kettle?

Me too. My sister is always complaining about her lack of counter space but then went out and bought a ginormous rice cooker. :confused: Seriously, it's a really cumbersome yoke. I can't get my head around why you would need a special appliance for that. It just seems to complicate a simple task. Tooting my own horn here but I do really good steamed rice and all I need is a saucepan with a lid and some tin foil. And it takes 15 minutes tops. And only five minutes of that requires my presence near the cooker. I just take it off the heat and walk away after that and let it do its thing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Me too. My sister is always complaining about her lack of counter space but then went out and bought a ginormous rice cooker. :confused: Seriously, it's a really cumbersome yoke. I can't get my head around why you would need a special appliance for that. It just seems to complicate a simple task. Tooting my own horn here but I do really good steamed rice and all I need is a saucepan with a lid and some tin foil. And it takes 15 minutes tops. And only five minutes of that requires my presence near the cooker. I just take it off the heat and walk away after that and let it do its thing.

I do have a waffle-maker though. But that something that needs its own maker, whether it's a plug in waffle maker or the cast iron yokes you can put in the oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

People saying rice cookers are pointless dont understand, theres a reason every house in Japan has one.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Thargor wrote: »
    People saying rice cookers are pointless dont understand, theres a reason every house in Japan has one.
    Just did a search on the last page and there was pretty big support of them.

I have a "rice cooker", my microwave, you might consider me one of those saying they are "pointless". I actually do have a rice cooker in the press that a housemate was given, I never bothered with it, either has he as far as I remember.

I have also heard few households in the US have electric kettles, and searching google seems few in Japan have the pop up toaster which you could similarly claim "every house in Ireland has one".

I do understand why people in Asia might have a rice cooker, the majority are likely feeding families rice every single day, multiple times a day, makes perfect sense for them to have one, and for me not to bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Its a taste/texture thing though, the rice cooker just does it better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,754 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Thargor wrote:

How much rice do you eat, though?

I only eat it about once a month, and I only eat brown, which is foolproof anyway. A rice cooker would literally just take up space/gather dust in my kitchen the vast, vast majority of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Am I the only one who uses the auld boil in the bag rice? Can't go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

I have such a "thing" against single-function appliances. Yoghurt makers. Rice cookers. Tea-makers, ffs. What the hell is wrong with a kettle?

I bought a three tier steamer in Aldi last year. The difference in the taste of veggies is amazing. You can pack a lot of stuff in the the tiers, and just rinse them under the tap. That said, I have a fair few gadgets gathering cobwebs out in the shed. :o

I’ve eaten rice out of my sister’s. It was fine but I can’t recall anything noteworthy about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

TV Dinner speciality! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,039 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

If you cook rice by the absorption method in a pot and let it finish properly, it tastes the same to me.
    We had one for a while but I found it handier to do it in a pot and found the rice no better from it. I gave it away.

It's not just Japan, it seems to me that all Asian people use them. Stayed with a Taiwanese friend who was in France for a few months. She bought one and left it after her rather than be without one for a few months.

My mother in law (originally from Singapore) uses one daily, too.

I really don't see the point unless you eat rice a couple of times a day every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

My wife is totally anti-clutter, me not so much :)

We got an Air-fryer and a breadmaker last week, both of which are already causing issues in terms of counter space.
    I haven't managed to fully road test either yet, but am hoping both will be worthwhile and useful.

I still want to get a stand mixer, but may have to wait until the house is extended; it's also hard to justify in a Gluten Free house (I'm the only 1 of 4 who can eat Gluten).
    Our kitchen at the moment is really badly planned and really can't cope with more than 1 person. Extra items only make it even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭jennyhayes123

Oh I didn't realise it did pancakes! Can you make them thin and they still brown on both sides? The depth of the slots in the aldi one look quite deep.

I made them thin and just turned them over after few mins.
    I'm delighted with it. Doesn't say on it you can make them. I just did

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

_Dara_ wrote: »

You can use your rice cooker for a lot more than just steamed rice. You can make all sorts of varieties using different spices and sauces that don't translate as well to cooking in a saucepan.
    How much rice do you eat, though?

I only eat it about once a month, and I only eat brown, which is foolproof anyway. A rice cooker would literally just take up space/gather dust in my kitchen the vast, vast majority of the time.

Haha, I'd be completely different here. I eat rice every day Monday-Thursday (and often weekend too), I generally have a day for Thai, Indian, Mexican and Middle-Eastern food which would all be rice dominant. The only non-rice carbs I ever eat really are oats in the mornings and potatoes on the weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Boil in the bag can be expensive. Though I see tesco have an unusually cheap basmati boil in the bag, 500g for 79cent, while uncle ben boil in the bag basmati 500g is €3.59!

I like the microwave as it is extremely consistent and I do not have to watch over it, the timing is automatic and as I am doing the absorption method it cannot get overcooked if left, in fact it just gets better. The absorption method also allows you easily add spices etc with no waste.

It is very easy for me to clean my microwave rice container, easier than a pot or the (unused) rice cooker.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I have a rice cooker and I love it. We'd eat rice several times a week and I always make a big batch so we can have leftovers. My rice cooker is multi function so it's also a slow cooker. Apparently it's a steamer and a porridge cooker too, but I've never used either of those functions.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I put the decorations back in the attic last week and noticed the bread maker, rice cooker, ice-cream maker, air fryer and slow cooker. I'm not into gadgets, honest

If you cook rice by the absorption method in a pot and let it finish properly, it tastes the same to me.
    We had one for a while but I found it handier to do it in a pot and found the rice no better from it. I gave it away.

This is my method too. It is so easy peasy. Seriously: saucepan, lid, tin foil. Done.

And yeah, it makes sense to have a rice cooker in cultures where it's the main carb. In Ireland that's not most people. It's not worth the countertop real estate for me. But if you ARE an Irish person who eats lots of rice, then it is worth having.
    Amirani wrote: »
    You can use your rice cooker for a lot more than just steamed rice. You can make all sorts of varieties using different spices and sauces that don't translate as well to cooking in a saucepan.

I've made all kind of different rices either on the hob or in the oven with the cookware I have. Pilau, fried, lemon, coriander, risotto etc. As long as you toast the spices on their own in the pan quickly first, the flavour should transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

I have a small kitchen and have to be selective about gadgets. I don't even have a microwave. I do have a personal size rice cooker. Makes two perfect portions and I can do loads more with it than just rice. I have an old, unreliable stove and could never get perfect rice so I'm delighted with my little gadget.

The only other gadget (aside from the usual toaster and kettle) I have is a small smoothie maker but again there's a lot I can do with it.

I'm happy enough with that.

I have a small kitchen and have to be selective about gadgets. I don't even have a microwave.

Our microwave went kaput six weeks ago. We still haven't got around to replacing it and I honestly thought we relied on it a lot. I'm amazed at how infrequently I miss it. We will eventually replace it but I now understand why my sister hasn't missed not owning one for the guts of ten years.

Have to say, my waffle-maker is worth it. Waffles are totally different to pancakes which surprised me.

And I love my sandwich toaster. My MIL had two so gave us one of them last year and I've used it 3-4 times a week since. I remember my mother humming and hawing over buying a sandwich toaster in Roche's in Galway in the late 90s. It was around £20 but money was tight and our kitchen was small, plus she had heard people joking about how little they used theirs so she was unsure. But she bought and it is still going strong, nearly twenty years later. The peak time of its use was the teenage years of her children but even so, it is still regularly used and always has been. I've worked it out. Say, it's been used on average twice a week since she bought it. That means it's been used 104 times a year for, I think, 19 years. So it's been used approximately 2000 times and counting. A sound investment. :)

_Dara_ wrote:
    Our microwave went kaput six weeks ago. We still haven't got around to replacing it and I honestly thought we relied on it a lot. I'm amazed at how infrequently I miss it. We will eventually replace it but I now understand why my sister hasn't missed not owning one for the guts of ten years.

We're in the exact same position, broke before Christmas. Again, we'll replace it eventually but not until we really start missing it.

The microwave in my ex-marital home broke before and we never bothered replacing it at all.
    _Dara_ wrote:
    And I love my sandwich toaster. I remember my mother humming and hawing over buying a sandwich toaster in Roche's in Galway in the late 90s... But she bought and it is still going strong, nearly twenty years later. The peak time of its use was the teenage years of her children but even so, it is still regularly used and always has been.

My mother has an ancient Morphy Richards one that mskes THE best toasted sambos ever. I still use it semi-regularly when I'm over there; they don't really. She's offered it to me loads of times but I always refuse. I don't need that kind of temptation in the house!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,073 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

kylith wrote: »
    I have a rice cooker and I love it. We'd eat rice several times a week and I always make a big batch so we can have leftovers. My rice cooker is multi function so it's also a slow cooker. Apparently it's a steamer and a porridge cooker too, but I've never used either of those functions.

Reheated leftover rice could be a bit dodgy.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/how-to-eat-leftover-rice-without-getting-sick-2017-3?r=US&IR=T

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

Please have a quick read through the Food Forum Charter around Food Safety advise. While your post is certainly in line with the "when in doubt, throw it out", we don't want this to start a discussion around the subject.
    Thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

The electric knife! Who remembers using this 80's nostalgia. I had totally erased it from my mind until the mother mentioned she was thinking of buying one for the christmas dinner. Then it appeared again the other day when I was watching an episode of Black Mirror

• Registered Users Posts: 8,496 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

RasTa wrote: »
    The electric knife! Who remembers using this 80's nostalgia. I had totally erased it from my mind until the mother mentioned she was thinking of buying one for the christmas dinner. Then it appeared again the other day when I was watching an episode of Black Mirror

Normally would just use a sharp knife to carve. Used an electric knife at my Mum’s to carve the ham, turkey breasts and stuffed legs at Christmas. So much easier with the electric.......

We're in the exact same position, broke before Christmas. Again, we'll replace it eventually but not until we really start missing it.

Yeah, the only change me and himself indoors have had to make is to make sure to eat dinner as soon as it's ready, no reheating. And that hasn't been an issue.

Outside of that, just little things. Like today I was making pancakes and I wanted to melt butter for the batter but didn't want to dirty an extra pan. But I just fried them in a generous dollop of butter instead. :) And sometimes I cook noodles in the microwave instead of on the stove as it's quicker and again, not wanting to dirty a pot. Those are the only two instances where I have really missed it.
    My mother has an ancient Morphy Richards one that mskes THE best toasted sambos ever. I still use it semi-regularly when I'm over there; they don't really. She's offered it to me loads of times but I always refuse. I
    don't need that kind of temptation in the house!

I know, sandwich toaster toasties are just... sex. There, I said it. The way the squished crust goes all biscuity. Plus, I'm focused on losing weight at the moment and toasties actually fit in very neatly into that goal while still giving me something super tasty to eat if I've sick of salad and greek yogurt. You don't need much cheese (well, I don't) plus the butter on the outside is just a scraping to help it brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

I have a rice cooker and it's easily the second most used piece of equipment in my kitchen after my cooker. It's a bit of a bother as it takes up a huge amount of room but for all the meals I get out of it, I put up with it. It's a programmable type that also acts as a multicooker so I use it for other things like making porridge, yogurt or cheesecake. It's well worth the investment imho, especially if you eat a lot of rice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I know, but it's a risk I'm willing to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

Counter space? Am I the only one that has a press for all that crap?
    If I need the rice cooker/slow cooker/George Foreman etc I get it from the press, use it, clean it and put it back.

RasTa wrote: »

That's another 90s kitchen gadget of my mother's that was and is still heavily used. She uses it to slice the bacon they have once or twice a week for dinner and then various Sunday roast meats. And she couldn't have paid more than £20 for it.

• Advertisement

Counter space? Am I the only one that has a press for all that crap?

My press space is also finite and is equally split between crockery/glassware, pots/pans and pantry units.

I even have an extra free-standing floor to ceiling shelving unit and the only appliance/gadget on that is my jug blender. And I don't even have a particularly small kitchen!

Just counting up now, I have 9 cupboards (including one corner and one double unit) and four are used for food. One is the under-sink unit so all the cleaning stuff and the other two double units are cookware, glassware and crockery, all of which are used regularly. I cook a *lot* and I also have people over for dinner a lot.

The free standing unit has wine on the bottom and then the rest is more cookware. Again, all used all the time. That includes stuff like my pestle & mortar and mezzaluna and whatnot.

Advertisement