Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rice Cookers and other kitchen gadgets......

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

Gadget central round here. Main thing holding me back is the lack of storage space. Since we moved to this place (larger than the last place by a good bit) Ive gained an instant pot (love it, use it min twice a week), an actifry (better than expected, use it twice a week) and a standmixer (kmix, use it at least twice a week and got the pasta extruder). In the last place the espresso machine and george foreman had to live on a bookshelf in the hall but now they can live on the counter and see way more use. Given the expansion in gadgets, we probably only have the same amount of prep space overall, but gadgets are great! (at least the ones that work, got a PME chocolate melter, thing is trash and gets way too hot for even dark chocolate)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

_Dara_ wrote: »
    My sis and her hub have a bean-grinder and it's a very neat little yoke, hardly takes up any room on the counter. They don't have a coffee-maker, just a cafetiere and a moka pot. So their decent coffee needs are catered for without much space being used at all. :)

I've an AeroPress, best gadget ever for making coffee, haven't used it in ages though the pod machine has overtaken it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

i love my pialu rice. An important factor is releasing the oils in the aromatic spices at the start of cooking. A small amount of oil needs to reach temperature to achieve this. Cooking the rice in a pot by absorption gives the perfect rice and in less than 10 mins. I never had the need to try it any other way. I am not sure a rice cooker can do this. Maybe they are more suited to sticky rice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭snowgal

_Dara_ wrote: »
    Yeah, the only change me and himself indoors have had to make is to make sure to eat dinner as soon as it's ready, no reheating. And that hasn't been an issue.

Outside of that, just little things. Like today I was making pancakes and I wanted to melt butter for the batter but didn't want to dirty an extra pan. But I just fried them in a generous dollop of butter instead. :) And sometimes I cook noodles in the microwave instead of on the stove as it's quicker and again, not wanting to dirty a pot. Those are the only two instances where I have really missed it.

I know, sandwich toaster toasties are just... sex. There, I said it. The way the squished crust goes all biscuity. Plus, I'm focused on losing weight at the moment and toasties actually fit in very neatly into that goal while still giving me something super tasty to eat if I've sick of salad and greek yogurt. You don't need much cheese (well, I don't) plus the butter on the outside is just a scraping to help it brown.

mmm, you need to try the Diablo!! Bought it a few years ago, makes yum yum yum toasties! They're smaller than a full toasty I think but turn out delicious...They're done over the the hob.

Advertisement