Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

System restarts => kernel-power event 41 task 63

Options
  • 12-01-2018 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Need a bit of help/advice with a new PC which is suffering from 'kernel-power' restarts [kernel power event 41 task 63]

It only happens when running games (Player Unkown Battleground" or Overwatch) but happens repeatedly.

The machine was built by 'techdirect.ie'.

I have run FURMARK benchmark and it runs ok. Only high end games kill it.

On advice from "techdirect", I have formatted both drives, reinstalled win10, nvidia drivers and did an update. Then installed just "overwatch"

Still getting restarts running the only game on the machine .......

I am thinking it must be a faulty PSU but techdirect say its software related and so not their problem.....

Any ideas ?

Machine Spec
    Processor CPU: AMD RYZEN R7 1700 3.0GHZ 8 CORES- 16 threads
    CPU Cooling: Ryzen Wraith Air Cooler
    Memory: 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz (16GBx2)
    Motherboard: ASUS - PRIME B320M-K
    SSD Hard Disk: 240GB SSD M.2 SATA (540MB READ 465MB WRITE)
    Hard Disk 1: HDD - 1 TB 3.5" Hard Disk
    Hard Disk 2: Optional Extra
    Optical Drive 1: Optional Extra
    Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX1050 Ti 4GB
    Sound Card: Please Make Your Selection From The Above Options
    Wireless: TP-LINK 300Mbps PCI-E IEEE 802.11n
    Power Supply: TORQUE 500 Watt A/PFC 80+ Bronze Certified
    Operating System: Windows 10 Standard Edition
    Office Software: No Office Software Installed
    AntiVirus Software: BullGuard Internet Security with 1 Year Updates
    Keyboard: Optional Extra
    Mouse: Optional Extra
    Warranty Period: 2 Year Warranty with Collect & Return

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Chancers, they cannot possibly know that without testing. So much for their 2 year collect and return warranty!

Good chance it is the PSU - "Torque 500W" is a bargin basement piece of absolute junk not remotely suitable for a gaming PC. Under heavy load it will likely shutdown, unable to reliably supply the power needed.

Furmark is GPU intense but the GTX1050Ti is not power hungry. The Ryzen 1700 is, and games will stress both, not just the GPU.

I would say there is a very high (though not guaranteed) chance that a PSU replacement will solve the issue.

That a company would supply a Gaming PC of that type with such a low quality, cheap PSU (essentially a fire hazard) tells me they are dodgy. It would be OK in a low power office PC, which is what it's designed for.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Run Prime95 and Furmark together. Itll crash. Then tell Techdirect to fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭kyote00

OP here.

Just to close off on this......

After nearly 4 weeks of fighting with 'techdirect.ie', they took the PC back, reinstalled it (again !), then said they cannot find any issue and shipped it back to me :confused:

I replaced the PSU with a Corsair PSU last week myself. The machine now runs perfectly - with all the games that were caused the kernel-power issues...

So it was the PSU as suggested here ....

The default PSU in the machine was a 'CIT' brand

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

See if you can send them the bill for the Corsair PSU :pac:

If we could tell on a forum immediately that it was the PSU but they seemingly couldn't after taking it back (four weeks later)....they're clearly a shower of cowboys.

I would also tell them that if they don't pay for the cost of the replacement PSU, your next step will be to request a total replacement of the PC or a full refund as per consumer rights, and failure to meet this demand and you will be forced to take them to the small claims court.

They've already had a failed attempt to fix it so under law the next two options are replacement/refund of the entire PC (as you bought the PC as a full assembled unit, not as components).

I would send them an email with the invoice for the PSU attached and outline your case. They can pay for the PSU or they can replace the entire machine with a brand new one, or issue a refund.....

On principle I wouldn't let them get away with this behavior. They're a company, not some lad selling a PC from the back of his car on DoneDeal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Some lad on done deal would have done a better job.

OP I'd look for a refund also. At best they won't contest it and as such you're under no obligation to return the goods. You then have the pleasure of sending the sheriff around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

A simple warning for when purchasing computers (Especially from Irish etailers). Ensure they have an address on the contact us page.
    I wouldn't trust companies such as this and custompcs.ie
    Its one and the same company. If anyone asks on here about these slimeballs we tell them to stay a mile away.
    Edit:
    If you paid by credit card, send the pc back by registered post and do a creditcard chargeback.

Thought I'd post this here - really quite depressing - they asked me to review them so I did :cool:

https://ie.trustpilot.com/reviews/5a9dc32bd27b0a0d8c343bb8?utm_swu=8205

It honestly sounds like they haven't a clue what they're doing from that response. A low quality PSU cannot deliver anywhere near its rated load and is often unstable even at minor loads leading to blue screens/shut downs.

A "Torque 500W" PSU is a low quality, cheapo supply. I can't even find anything about it on Google. Assuming it's similar to ACE/CIT brand supplies, I wouldn't trust it to sustain more than about 200w reliably.

Furmark and the like won't cause issues as using benchmarks doesn't really stress both CPU and GPU simultaneously at heavy load.....gaming does, hence the shut downs.

Imagine just to save €40 they're reaping all this horrible publicity.

edit: they say Torque, you say it had CIT on it - says all you need to know. A '500w' CIT PSU is realistically a 200-250w PSU at best. Out of interest do you've a photo of the label on the PSU?

I assume it's this one. From the reviews it has a high failure rate, and does not cope well with systems that demand anything close to it's rated power.

Even in the positive reviews one guy mentions he bought a few and one was dead out of the box, several negative reviews say the same thing from an overall low amount of reviews....not a good sign.

• Advertisement

445005.pngHere is it

It honestly sounds like they haven't a clue what they're doing from that response. A low quality PSU cannot deliver anywhere near its rated load and is often unstable even at minor loads leading to blue screens/shut downs.

A "Torque 500W" PSU is a low quality, cheapo supply. I can't even find anything about it on Google. Assuming it's similar to ACE/CIT brand supplies, I wouldn't trust it to sustain more than about 200w reliably.

Furmark and the like won't cause issues as using benchmarks doesn't really stress both CPU and GPU simultaneously at heavy load.....gaming does, hence the shut downs.

Imagine just to save €40 they're reaping all this horrible publicity.

edit: they say Torque, you say it had CIT on it - says all you need to know. A '500w' CIT PSU is realistically a 200-250w PSU at best. Out of interest do you've a photo of the label on the PSU?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Absolute scrap those power supplies.

Bronze certified by who????

I would take that shower of cowboys to the small claims court.Anyone that uses power supplies like those in a build of any kind should be ashamed of themselves.

Advertisement