Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motoring expenses

Options
  • 12-01-2018 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

My company needs me to do a business trip in April. They usually only pay for fuel which is fine when short journeys. But this one is from Dublin to Galway then to Donegal and back. What can I expect to ask for. Car is private and all expenses covered by me Eg tax insurance wear and tear.
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Tenigate

The following seems fair (civil service rates)
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/employing-people/employee-expenses/travel-and-subsistence/civil-service-rates.aspx

Motor travel rates - from 1 April 2017
    Band Distance
    Band 1 0 - 1,500 km

Engine capacity up to 1200cc 37.95 cent
    Engine capacity 1201cc - 1500cc 39.86 cent
    Engine capacity 1501cc and over. 44.79 cent

The civil service rate is significantly higher after 1500km, and many private employers don't match it. Still, the above rates are a good starting point and tax efficient for you and your employer. Covering only your fuel doesn't cut it, imo. Maybe they'll hire a car for you, or your boss could loan you his vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Might also want to make sure you're covered by your insurance (if you haven't already done this before) as this sort of usage isn't covered by your standard policy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭mitresize5

if they refuse to compensate you adequately ask them to rent a car for you for the trip

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

mitresize5 wrote: »
    if they refuse to compensate you adequately ask them to rent a car for you for the trip

Ask them to do this anyway. As pointed out by Kaiser, your private insurance policy probably does not cover you for business use.

Most private policies are for 'social, domestic and pleasure ' purposes only.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Regardless of the motoring expenses I'd be advising them that the trip would be an overnight and apply for subsistence accordingly. Depending on locations that is 8 hours driving without stepping out of your car to go to meetings etc.

On the insurance issue our company paid to have business travel applied to our private policies I think it was and extra €50 in my own case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Ask them to do this anyway. As pointed out by Kaiser, your private insurance policy probably does not cover you for business use.

Most private policies are for 'social, domestic and pleasure ' purposes only.

I know we can’t claim mileage unless the company are Indemnified on my policy. Class1 business use, costs about €50 a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,743 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Benny2018 wrote: »
    My company needs me to do a business trip in April. They usually only pay for fuel which is fine when short journeys. But this one is from Dublin to Galway then to Donegal and back. What can I expect to ask for. Car is private and all expenses covered by me Eg tax insurance wear and tear.
    Thanks

What mileage rate do they pay you? Most are designed to cover wear and tear as well as the actual fuel cost.

Advertisement