Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,656 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Fair play to Liz for dressing as Kylie, Debbie Gibson, Bananarama and Madonna all at the same time.

Jools is back.

Ruby Turner must be fuming that P.P. Arnold got on the show tonight. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,386 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Jools is back.

Ruby Turner must be fuming that P.P. Arnold got on the show tonight. :D

yaaaaay not particularly liking the acts but still the best music show on tv

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Was this on before? Watched the trailer and got a bang of Deja Vu off it.
    9.30pm Eric Clapton – Life In 12 Bars (BBC4)
    Documentary profiling the blues guitarist, narrated by the man himself, as he charts his six decades in the music business, and why his insatiable desire to grow his artistic voice led him to quit a stream of successful bands, from the Yardbirds and John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers to short-lived supergroups Cream and Blind Faith. Clapton also talks about his battles with drugs and alcohol, his love for George Harrison's wife Pattie Boyd and the tragic loss of his son in an accident. Including archive interviews with BB King, George Harrison and Jimi Hendrix

Cate Le Bon - nice one :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

sligojoek wrote: »
    Was this on before? Watched the trailer and got a bang of Deja Vu off it.

It was on BBC2 once in June 2018, Joe

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b95q4f

That Clapton documentary was great, I hadn’t seen it before. Saw him in concert in the Three arena a few years back and while the music was superb he struck me as a quiet type who never once interacted with the audience bar a thank you after every song. I understand now after watching this. His upbringing and rejection by his mother had a lot to do with it. Wasn’t Patti Boyd a beautiful woman though, those eyes! No wonder George and Eric lusted after her!

Barry White on Sky Arts right now...ah yeah :cool:

It’s put me in mind of this fantastic video...made by Aardman Animations, but was banned by Barry because he didn’t like how he looked in it :D

Was only shown a few times, with a ‘censored’ box covering him whenever he was on screen...

Barry White on Sky Arts right now...ah yeah :cool:

It’s put me in mind of this fantastic video...made by Aardman Animations, but was banned by Barry because he didn’t like how he looked in it :D

Was only shown a few times, with a ‘censored’ box covering him whenever he was on screen...

That is class never seen it before.

Shame Barry got the hump, Barry White and Tina Turner and Wallace and Gromit in the one video is a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Iggy Pop interview on VM2 repeat of Jonathan Ross show now quite entertaining :)

• Advertisement

Hello, exciting weekend ahead for fans of Korean Pop and Irish Folk, Jools continues his run and Sky gives BB King another airing, all the usual bits and bobs going on too ...

Thursday
    7.30pm Top Of The Pops 1988 – August 25 (BBC4)
    Gary Davies and Nicky Campbell present the edition that first aired on August 25, with Big Country, Jane Wiedlin, Brother Beyond, Bomb the Bass, Womack and Womack, Status Quo, Breathe, Yazz & the Plastic Population and Tanita Tikaram

11pm Franz Ferdinand Live From MTV Fusion Festival (MTV Rocks)

11.15pm Later … With Jools Holland (BBC2NI, Earlier at 10pm … in other regions)
    Jools presents the second the long-running music show, introducing Liam Gallagher with songs from his second solo album Why Me? Why Not, featuring his son Gene playing drums on The River. Also performing are four-piece Australian rockers Amyl and the Sniffers, Surrey singer-songwriter Rex Orange County and rapper Kojey Radical, with tracks from his latest EP Cashmere Tears. The line-up is completed by soul singer Celeste, making her Later debut, and singer and podcast queen Jessie Ware, who also co-hosts tomorrow's longer show

11.30pm Other Voices - Dermot Kennedy Special(RTE2)
    Along with his performances, May Kay will also be interviewing the Dublin star and speaking about his meteoric rise, musical process and life on tour, among other things.
    https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2019/1017/1083930-other-voices-to-broadcast-dermot-kennedy-special/
    They are selling tickets for new shows here https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/other-voices-2019-registration-tickets-73957241099

11.30pm Sam Fender Live From MTV Fusion Festival (MTV Rocks)

12.10am Music Icons – Aretha Franklin (Sky Arts)

1.10am The Sixties – The British Invasion (Sky Arts)
    The British invasion of the American Music Scene – Herman’s Hermits and The Beatles and all that

Friday
    7pm Classic Albums: Duran Duran – Rio (Sky Arts)

7.30pm Mastermind (BBC2)
    Someone answering questions on UK Number One Hits of the Sixties here

7.30pm The Live Lounge Show (BBC4)
    Clara Amfo peeks behind the scenes of Radio 1's Live Lounge, the twice-weekly feature attracting an array of some of the biggest and best pop artists on the planet. Here, Haim and Lewis Capaldi feature alongside rapper Stormzy

8pm & 12.30am Rock N Roll America (BBC4)
    Ep 3/3 Be My Baby: Examining the era between Buddy Holly's death in early 1959 and the Beatles landing at JFK in spring 1964, when rock 'n' roll seemingly calmed down, went uptown and got spun into teen pop. The genre fuelled the Motown sound in Detroit and sound-tracked guitar instrumental groups on the west coast, such as the Ventures and Beach Boys, as it helped birth increasingly polished pop sounds across the States. Contributors include Jerry Lee Lewis, Ben E King and Chubby Checker

8pm Music Icons – Women Who Rock (Sky Arts)
    8.30pm Music Icons – Songs For The People (Sky Arts)

9pm & 2am Top Of The Pops 1988 – September 1 (BBC4)
    Steve Wright and Mark Goodier an edition of the pop chart show first shown on September 1, featuring performances by Level 42, Guns N' Roses, Yello, a-ha, Bomb the Bass and Phil Collins

9pm The Art Of Drumming (Sky Arts)
    Ep 1 of 4

9.30pm K-Pop Idols: Inside The Pop Factory (BBC4) New!
    The K-Pop phenomenon is shaking up the pop world and for the first time ever, there is now a serious challenge to the West's domination of the global music industry. James Ballardie travels to South Korea to uncover the secrets behind this worldwide success story, finding out how, in just 20 years, the music industry in the country has come from obscurity to become a major player on the world stage. I thought this was about K-Tel records when I saw the title first

10.15pm Jack Bruce Tribute Concert (Sky Arts)
    A performance from London's Roundhouse in October 2015, celebrating the former Cream bassist's life and career, and featuring the likes of Ginger Baker and Vernon Reid https://www.thedrummersjournal.com/blog/ginger-baker-walks-off-stage

10.30pm One Hit Wonders At The BBC (BBC4)
    Compilation of hits by artists that were hardly heard from again after one of their songs climbed to the pinnacle of pop, alongside an analysis of the 'one-hit wonder' phenomenon. Featuring Peter Sarstedt's 1969 track Where Do You Go To (My Lovely)?, Trio's 1982 smash Da Da Da, Move Closer, by Phyllis Nelson, and You Get What You Give, by New Radicals

11.30pm Marc Bolan – Cosmic Dancer (BBC4)
    Intimate biography, narrated in the pop singer's own words, first shown to mark the 70th anniversary of his birth and the 40th of his death. With the dawn of the 1970s and the break-up of the Beatles, Bolan became the gender-bending glam rocker whose band T. Rex revitalised the British music scene. However, this film - incorporating hitherto unseen home movies shot by record producer Tony Visconti and Bolan himself - reveals a far more complex and driven figure whose life was cut short at the age of 29. Contributors include the singer's partner, Gloria Jones

12.30am Music Icons – Cream (Sky Arts)

12.45am Other Voices (RTE2)
    Repeat of yesterday’s show

1.30am Top Of The Pops 1988 – August 25 (BBC4)

Saturday
    4pm Mali Blues (Sky Arts)
    Documentary following four musicians as they prepare for a concert in their home country of Mali, which has become increasingly subject to Sharia law

6pm BB King - The Life Of Riley (Sky Arts)
    The American blues singer-songwriter recounts his story of a rise to prominence in the music industry, earning him the title 'King of the Blues'. Born into a world of oppression in the cotton plantations outside Berclair, Mississippi, he went on to assemble his own band under the guidance of Millard Lee and found widespread popularity with his Singin' the Blues album in the Elvis-charged swinging zeitgeist of 1956. His talent showed no bounds, and more than half a century later he released his 42nd studio album, One Kind Favor, by which time he was well into his eighties - and showing no sign of giving up. Filmed in locations across the States, as well as the United Kingdom. Narrated by Morgan Freeman and featuring contributions by a range of fellow musicians including Eric Clapton, Bono and George Benson **
    ** The original listing added ‘and Mick Hucknell’ but sometimes you have to make an editorial cut

7pm Sounds Of The Sixties (Yesterday)
    The Foundations, Procol Harum, the Bee Gees, the Rolling Stones, and Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich, Herman's Hermits, the Crazy World of Arthur Brown, the Alan Price Set, Manfred Mann and the Rolling Stones

7.45pm Toots And The Maytals – Reggae Got Soul (Sky Arts)
    A profile of Toots Hibbert, featuring an interview with the reggae musician and archive footage of his performances. The film traces his career from his early days as a singer in a Jamaican church to becoming a Grammy award-winning artist, and features contributions by Eric Clapton, Keith Richards, Jimmy Cliff, Bonnie Raitt, Willie Nelson and Marcia Griffiths

8pm Sounds Of The Seventies (Yesterday)
    Carole King, James Taylor, Neil Young, Randy Newman and Don McLean, the Eagles, Eric Clapton and Dire Straits

9pm & 2.30am Rudeboy – The Story Of Trojan Records (Sky Arts)
    Documentary exploring the origins and impact of the Jamaican label, which provided the musical soundtrack that inspired and influenced a new generation of British youth

11pm Bob Marley Live At The Rainbow (Sky Arts)
    A 1977 performance by the singer at London's Rainbow Theatre, filmed shortly after the release of his album Exodus

11pm Duran Duran- One Night Only (VM2)
    Christine Bleakley presents a one-off special in which the band perform their biggest hits alongside tracks from their acclaimed album All You Need Is Now, for an audience at ITV's London studios. Originally shown in 2011 but Virgin Media keep repeating it as they have nothing else to show

11.15pm RTE Radio 1 Folk Awards 2019 (RTE1)
    John Creedon and Ruth Smith present the second annual awards ceremony as RTÉ celebrates the significant contribution musicians and bands have made to Irish culture. You can hear the live broadcast on Thursday night on Radio 1
    https://www.rte.ie/culture/2019/0919/1076861-rte-radio-1-folk-awards-shortlist-announced/

12.25am Top Of The Pops 1988 – August 25 (BBC4)
    12.55am Top Of The Pops 1988 – September 1 (BBC4)

1.30am Trailblazers – Two Tone Records (Sky Arts)

** Clocks Go Back At 2am

Sunday
    7pm Breezin’ - The George Benson Story (Sky Arts)
    ‘Documentary about the American soul singer’ – says the listing. Not the most enlightling blurb ever

8pm Music Icons – Otis Redding (Sky Arts)
    8.30pm Music Icons - Mavin Gaye (Sky Arts)

8.30pm Pat Shortt’s Music From D’Telly (RTE1)
    Clips of Joan Armatrading and others

9pm Gregory Porter Live In Berlin (Sky Arts)

9.30pm Tradfest TG4 (TG4)
    Featuring American Teddy Thompson, the legendary Liam O'Connor on fiddle and the latest addition to west Kerrys' collection of musicians, Cormac Begley. Plus, Father and daughter duet Antóin Mac Gabhann and Caitlín Nic Gabhann are in the Chapel Royal and young musician Helen Diamond is in the House of Lords

10pm It’s Grime Up North (Channel 4)
    Light-hearted documentary charting the rise of unlikely internet sensations in Blackpool - super young, baby-faced grime artists whose YouTube videos have been watched by millions
    https://www.prolificnorth.co.uk/news/broadcasting/2018/08/bbc-studios-makes-grime-north-channel-4

11.15pm James Brown Live At Montreux (Sky Arts)

12.30am Santana Greatest Hits Live At Montreux (Sky Arts)

2.05am Jack Bruce Tribute Concert (Sky Arts)
    As Friday

4.15am BB King The Life Of Riley

I heard an entertaining show on Radio 1 on Sunday at 7pm 'Songs In My Head', a series of extended interviews with songwriters. Last week was OMD, I think The Waterboys was the week before. You should be able to get it on the RTE Radio Player. More here https://www.rte.ie/culture/2019/1008/1081887-songs-in-my-head-inside-the-songwriting-process/. Not sure what the schedule is, to be honest

And finally, the Most surprising appearance by Jarvis Cocker and others from Pulp and Radiohead in a Harry Potter film of the week might be The Weird Sisters in Harry Potter And The Goblet Of Fire (Sunday ITV 5.05pm)

Wait a minute, this ain’t no Big Country!

The guitars don’t sound like bagpipes :D

‘Rush Hour’ - stone cold classic :cool:

PLAY YELLO!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,955 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

That was a nice Strat. Alex Lifeson played modified Strats called Hentor Sportscasters.

Jane Rush Hour Wiedlin from The Bangles was in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure - I did not know that!

https://twitter.com/TOTPFacts/status/1187437357865361414

tenor.gif?itemid=10951137

They had something similar a few years earlier where Tears For Fears released Everybody wants to run the world for Sport Aid, to stop Geldof moaning at them for not doing Live Aid.

Nice jacket, Gary.

DZDXhS-XkAEL2sT.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Tanita's fooling no one with a chirpy number! :)

• Advertisement

Skid X wrote: »
    Jane Rush Hour Wiedlin from The Bangles was in Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure - I did not know that!

https://twitter.com/TOTPFacts/status/1187437357865361414

I don't remember her from The Bangles?

Edit: Ah, it's the Go Go's.

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    I don't remember her from The Bangles?

Ah you're right, she was in The Go Gos with Belinda Carlisle, whoops

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/bangles-or-go-gos-who-was-bigger-in-the-80s.253706/

Belinda Carlisle and Susanna Hoffs...om nom nom.

Liam on Jools Holland right now...

Is that Damon Albarn on bass?! :eek:

Is it me, or does this Rex Orange County song sound like the theme tune to ‘Cheers’?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Beebrock/Ray D'Arcy Show crossover news!

The remaining members of Wham! will be joining Ray live on the telly on Saturday night!

Didn’t know David Soul was the lead singer of Level 42 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭dasdog

Didn’t know David Soul was the lead singer of Level 42 :D

I think it was Mark Knopher filling in but stand corrected.

Just tuned into 98.8 FM, can’t hear TOTP in stereo :(

• Advertisement

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Beebrock/Ray D'Arcy Show crossover news!

The remaining members of Wham! will be joining Ray live on the telly on Saturday night!

Ha, I like it. I remember the Wham! manager saying Wham! consisted of Andrew Ridgeley and a fake Andrew Ridgeley (George)

I think Andrew should go on tour as Wham! with a George Michael impersonator so it could be the real Andrew Ridgeley and the fake fake Andrew Ridgeley.

Advertisement