Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,656 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

YELLO! :D

Me, I’m touchy.

tenor.gif?ctx=share

Nerdy fact: The singer with Bomb The Bass is Lorraine MacIntosh, mum of Bradley from S Club 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Nerdy fact: The singer with Bomb The Bass is Lorraine MacIntosh, mum of Bradley from S Club 7.

Anyone remember a show on mtv or similar that played a music video and had facts about various parts of the video? Did I make that up?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Anyone remember a show on mtv or similar that played a music video and had facts about various parts of the video? Did I make that up?

Yeah, I think that was 'Pop Up Video', I used to like that. It says here it was a VH1 show originally but I think I saw it on other channels too

http://mentalfloss.com/article/76357/10-trivial-facts-about-pop-video-bloop

• Advertisement

Watching back TOTP from last night and Womack and Womack are on it

I searched twitter to see what the connection was between W&W and Bobby Womack (him who sang Across 110th Street), my head is aching now, this next bit might be riddled with mistakes ...

So Cecil Womack (the man in W&W) is Bobby Womack's Son

Linda Womack (the woman in W&W) is Bobby Womack's Stepdaughter ... but she was also married to Cecil Womack ... and she was Sam Cooke's Daughter

And Bobby Womack seems like a real arsehole. After Sam Cooke mentored him Bobby had an affair with Sam's wife (and married her a few months after Sam was murdered), and then cheated on her with her own daughter ... the same Linda who was also his Stepdaughter and later married his son

Then someone else claims Sam Cooke once had three different women at the same time. And there's lots more murders and affairs and all sorts going on in the immediate families of the Cookes and the Womacks

Very confused now, they need to do a Rock Family Trees/Jerry Springer Show on all this

https://twitter.com/labubbakeith/status/1179076986280398848

This twitter thread goes into more detail ...

https://twitter.com/ErinMFloyd/status/1176439624539037698

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

There seems to be a bunch of gross Abba stuff on Channel 5, if any of you happen to hate music.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭dasdog

Teardrops is a fantastic song. Good enough to be soul and escaping 80's terribleness producers.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,949 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The Chart Show on Channel 4 used to have that, the graphics were generated by a Commodore Amiga.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

The Chart Show on Channel 4 used to have that, the graphics were generated by a Commodore Amiga.

Oh my god I used to record that show every week on the aul vhs to try and get the lyrics to learn songs!

• Advertisement

Hello, this week sees a new BBC4 show about singers making money after they die, which has a clever name. They also have a ridiculous amount of TOTP as they need to catch up to the end of 1988 before the end of 2019

Sky has Punk and Drumming and BBC Scotland has The Proclaimers, MTV has their annual bit of music in the shape of the MTV EMA Awards ...

Thursday
    7.30pm & 12.30am Top Of The Pops 1988 – September 8 (BBC4)
    Mike Read and Andy Crane present the edition first shown on September 8, featuring performances by Marc Almond, Gloria Estefan and Miami Sound Machine, Spagna, Anthrax, Bill Medley, the Proclaimers, Michael Jackson, Yello, Phil Collins and Jane Wiedlin

11.15pm Later … With Jools Holland (BBC2NI, at 10pm on other BBC2 regions)
    Jools presents another selection of music, introducing Manchester's finest Elbow with a track from their eighth album Giants of All Sizes, Kasabian's Serge Pizzorno with his solo project The SLP, which combines rock guitars and dance music, and folk-rock singer Michael Kiwanuka, with music from his self-titled third album. Completing the line-up are two acts shortlisted for the 2019 Mercury Prize - north London rapper Little Simz and rapper Slowthai, making his debut on the show. The presenter also chats to Birmingham MC Lady Leshurr, who co-hosts tomorrow's show, and comedian James Acaster

11.30pm Other Voices – Belfast Special (RTE2)
    Featuring performances by Snow Patrol, the Academic, Joshua Burnside, Elma Orkestra and Ryan Vail, ROE and the Breath

Friday
    7pm Classic Albums: Iron Maiden – The Number Of The Beast (Sky Arts)

7.30pm & 12.30am Top Of The Pops 1988 – September 15th (BBC4)
    Simon Mayo and Peter Powell introduce the edition first broadcast on September 15, featuring Bros, the Commodores, the Proclaimers, the Pasadenas, Coldcut featuring Junior Reid, Salt-n-Pepa, Jason Donovan, the Hollies, Phil Collins and Inner City

7.30pm Se Mo Laoch – Ann Mulqueen (TG4)
    The life and career of singer Ann Mulqueen, a massive star in the ballad boom of the 1960s. She sang with the Dubliners, the Clancy Brothers and Nicolas Tóibín to name but a few. When she moved to An Rinn Gaeltacht in Co Waterford she raised a famous family of sean-nós singers and learnt the art herself

8pm & 2am Exotic Pop at the BBC (BBC4)
    Archive performances by international artists who found success in the UK charts, including Greek crooner Demis Roussos, French star Vanessa Paradis, Swedish singer Sylvia and Romanian pan-pipe player Gheorghe Zamfir. Bit of a stretch to describe Romanian pan pipes as exotic

8pm Music Icons – British Metal (Sky Arts)
    8.30pm Music Icons – Soul Crooners (Sky Arts)

9pm Top Of The Pops 1988 – September 22 (BBC4)
    Nicky Campbell and Andy Crane introduce the edition first broadcast on September 22, featuring Pet Shop Boys, Womack & Womack, Bill Withers, Transvision Vamp, Whitney Houston, Bon Jovi, Rick Astley, the Hollies and the Pasadenas

9pm The Art Of Drumming (Sky Arts)
    Ep 2/4

9.30pm Get Rich Or Try Dying: Music’s Mega Legacies (BBC4) New!
    Death has its obvious downside, but in the world of pop, shuffling off the mortal coil can offer a unique business opportunity. Last year, the top five estates of the most cherished but deceased popstars earned $0.5billion. Ana Matronic embarks on a journey into the afterlife of pop, discovering the many ways pop stars earn a living when they're dead. Contributors including agents, publicists, producers and families reveal the dos and don'ts of keeping the dream alive
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m0009tqh

10.15pm Black Sabbath – The End Of The End (Sky Arts)
    Documentary charting the band's last gig, a sold-out home town performance on February 4, 2017, at Birmingham's 16,000-seat Genting Arena

10.30pm TOTP2 Halloween Special (BBC4)
    Steve Wright introduces an edition of the music show featuring the spookiest, scariest and most frightening clips from the pop archives involving witches, monsters, ghosts, the Addams Family and Dracula. Including performances by the Automatic, the Crazy World of Arthur Brown, Ray Parker Jr, Bobby 'Boris' Pickett and Michael Jackson

11.05pm Later … With Jools Holland (BBC2)
    Longer version of Thursday’s show

11.30pm Rod Stewart At The BBC (BBC4)
    Songs include Sailing, You're in My Heart, I Don't Want to Talk About It and Da Ya Think I'm Sexy? Plus, Handbags and Gladrags from Rod's set at Glastonbury in 2002, his cover of Dorothy Fields' classic I'm in the Mood

12.15am Rudeboy – The Story Of Trojan Records (Sky Arts)
    Documentary exploring the origins and impact of the Jamaican label, which provided the musical soundtrack that inspired and influenced a new generation of British youth

12.30am Other Voices - Belfast Special (RTE2)
    As Thursday

1am Totally 60s Psychedelic Rock At The BBC (BBC4)
    With Status Quo, the Incredible String Band, Donovan, the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band, Julie Driscoll with Brian Auger and the Trinity, the Moody Blues, the Crazy World of Arthur Brown, Joe Cocker, the Move, Procol Harum, Cream, Jimi Hendrix and the Who

2.15am Bob Marley Live At The Rainbow (Sky Arts)
    1977 Concert

Saturday
    12.30pm Children In Need – Got It Covered (BBC1)
    Ten well-known actors come together to record an album for Children in Need. Cameras follow Helena Bonham Carter, Jim Broadbent, Olivia Colman, Shaun Dooley, Luke Evans, Suranne Jones , Adrian Lester, Himesh Patel, David Tennant and Jodie Whittaker over 12 weeks in the summer of 2019 as they rehearse songs for their album, Got It Covered. Each actor must choose a song that has special meaning for them and must make their cover version their own. The participants also visit some charity projects that Children in Need supports in order to help raise funds and awareness

5pm Classic Albums: Black Sabbath – Paranoid (Sky Arts)

5.20pm Celebrity Mastermind (BBC1)
    Toyah Wilcox is one of the contestants, and someone else is answering questions on ‘Number Ones Of The 1990s’

6pm Genesis – When in Rome (Sky Arts)
    2007 Concert from the Circo Massimo where they used to have the chariot races

7pm Sounds Of The Sixties (Yesterday)
    Sandie Shaw, Dusty Springfield, Long John Baldry, Tom Jones, the Who, Pink Floyd, Joe Cocker, the Nice and the Jimi Hendrix Experience

8pm Sounds Of The Seventies (Yesterday)
    The Clash, Joy Division, the Buzzcocks, X-Ray Spex, the Damned and the Undertones, Alice Cooper, the New York Dolls, Iggy Pop, the Ramones and Bruce Springsteen

8pm BBC Radio 2 In Concert – Stereophonics (BBC Red Button, repeated on Loop)

8.10pm Blondie Song By Song – One Way Or Another & Heart Of Glass (Sky Arts)

9pm – 1.40am Punk (Eps 1-4) (Sky Arts)
    All of Iggy Pop’s Punk Documentary shown back to back
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/15/arts/television/iggy-pop-punk-epix.html

10pm The Proclaimers: This Is The Story (BBC Scotland)
    David Tennant’s Doc. Not On Youtube, David Tennant also sings Sunshine on Leith on that Children In Need thing earlier on BBC1

11pm The Proclaimers Live At Stirling Castle (BBC Scotland)
    2012 Hogmanay Concert. I have been to Stirling Castle but The Proclaimers weren’t there that day

12.20am Top Of The Pops 1988 – September 8 (BBC4)
    12.50am Top Of The Pops 1988 – September 15 (BBC4)

1.20am Get Rich Or Try Dying: Music’s Mega Legacies (BBC4)
    As Friday

1.40am Classic Albums: Sex Pistols – Never Mind The Bollix (Sky Arts)

2.40am Sex Pistols – There’ll Always Be An England (Sky Art)
    2007 money grabbing concert

Sunday
    7pm Blondie Song By Song - Call Me & Rapture (Sky Arts)

8pm Paul Weller – May Love Travel With You (Sky Arts)
    Weller plays most songs from his 2018 Album True Meanings, with a few from The Jam

8pm MTV EMA Awards 2019 (MTV, also on Channel 5 from 10pm)
    Live from Seville https://www.mtvema.com/en-gb

9pm The Story Of The Jam – About The Young Idea (Sky Arts)
    Excellent long doc about The Jam, they are all in it.

9.30pm Tradfest TG4 (TG4)
    Featuring music from the Mike McGoldrick Trio on stage in Dublin Castle, Liam Ó Maonlaí, and piper Maitiú Ó Casaide

10.30pm Hup (TG4)
    traditional music from the Fleadh by the Feale festival, held in Abbeyfeale, Co Limerick. The show features performances from Breaking Trad, Derek Hickey, Deirdre Scanlan and David Murphy, accompanied by his nephew John Forde on the banjo

11.45pm Mark Ronson – From The Heart (BBC2)
    Another chance to see this one, where songwriter and producer discusses his life and musical influences, including how the break-up of his marriage has influenced his most recent album, Late Night Feelings. The programme follows Ronson in London, Los Angeles and New York at work and at home, and there are interviews with family and friends, along with the likes of Lady Gaga, Simon Le Bon, Josh Homme and Bradley Cooper

1.15am Classic Albums: Iron Maiden – The Number Of The Beast (Sky Arts)

2.15am Black Sabbath – The End Of The End (Sky Arts)
    As Friday

And that is just about that. Hopefully there might be something up there of interest. If you see anything else please do let us know

I saw this on Twitter during the week, Bowie on Newsnight in 1999 telling a doubting Paxman that the Internet was about to hit civilization like a meteor

https://twitter.com/omid9/status/1187755253510348801

And finally, The Best Dire Straits Air Guitar Solo Of The Week might be from Tim Nice-But-Dim in Harry Enfield And Chums (GOLD, Friday 9pm). Bloody nice bloke

TOTP in fab-tastic FM Stereo, mate!

smashie-and-nicey-a0d317c5-d832-4592-9054-067f0aef197-resize-750.jpeg

Quiff-tastic lost classic from Marc Almond :)

I prefer Spagna’s other song, ‘Corned Beef’. :cool:

Oh dear, too much crotch thrusting from Mr. Jackson.

You wouldn't mess with your man from Yello

"No Mr Bond, I expect you to die. But first I have to finish this Yello song ... no, that's unfair James, All Yello songs do not sound very similar"

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgGvYfKECJpQRGMGqYu_o3L6kq6Un5tkIOK0Jcw92194ECaZLKOQ&s

Without a doubt, my favourite song by Joan Of Arc :)

Lucky dolphin :D

I still can't believe nobody ever signed up Ian Rush to present an hour long radio show

They could have called it 'Ian's sixty minute programme' or something.

• Advertisement

Somebody is performing on Jools Holland right now in his pyjamas.

Mind you, it is getting late.

James Acaster on right now!

Rowland Rivron must be unavailable :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Great show but I've always had a huge issue with Jools. Ruins the music to an extent when the presenter annoys the sh1t out of me. He's no Zane Lowe though, now there's a w*nker. Rant over.

Somebody is performing on Jools Holland right now in his pyjamas.

Mind you, it is getting late.

The Kasabian chap was probably doing an homage to Earlier ... With Jools Holland

You didn’t quit though Bros, did you?

Bobby Davro! Bobby Davro!

Don’t forget, try the buffet!

Bar stays open till 12.

What are the odds that Mayo and Powell came to blows after this show?

1553526420752.gif

• Advertisement

Groovy Kind of Love isn't nearly as much fun as Phil Collins's other cover version number one, You Can't Hurry Love

Three Phil Collins's in the video together, how did they do that? Must have cost about £200 million, which was a lot of money in those days

Advertisement