Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I had the Jason Donovan ‘Straight From The Heart’ board game, and I’ve already got my coat.
    Q. How should you feel if Jason rocks up to your place in the middle of the night in his underwear ? :eek:

_109057417_capture.jpg

A. Grateful :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,940 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Skid X wrote: »
    "At 15 Phil Collins has Two Hearts"

Might explain some of the health issues he's been having.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I watched Mystify the Michael Hutchence documentory on the BBC iPlayer. Really well made using home movies shot by Michael and those around him. It seems the brain injury he suffered after being punched by a taxi driver and he fell and hit his head off the road caused major brain damage and a change in his personality. Noel Gallagher comes across as a dickhead when Michael was presenting Oasis a Brit award saying something along the lines of "old has-beens shouldn't be presenting awards to the future of rock and roll". I really hope someone does that to him someday! I don't think getting involved with the clinically depressed Paula Yates and having to deal with Bob Geldof did him any good. It would be interesting to know what Geldof said to him on the phone in the hours before his suicide. I'm sure it didn't help his mental condition. Also it was suicide and not any sexual act gone wrong which was the rumour around the time of his death. Anyway worth a watch, Kick is one of the great albums of the 80's and I came away from this with a greater appreciation of INXS's charismatic lead singer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

I watched Mystify the Michael Hutchence documentory on the BBC iPlayer. Really well made using home movies shot by Michael and those around him. It seems the brain injury he suffered after being punched by a taxi driver and he fell and hit his head off the road caused major brain damage and a change in his personality. Noel Gallagher comes across as a dickhead when Michael was presenting Oasis a Brit award saying something along the lines of "old has-beens shouldn't be presenting awards to the future of rock and roll". I really hope someone does that to him someday! I don't think getting involved with the clinically depressed Paula Yates and having to deal with Bob Geldof did him any good. It would be interesting to know what Geldof said to him on the phone in the hours before his suicide. I'm sure it didn't help his mental condition. Also it was suicide and not any sexual act gone wrong which was the rumour around the time of his death. Anyway worth a watch, Kick is one of the great albums of the 80's and I came away from this with a greater appreciation of INXS's charismatic lead singer.
    Just found a clip of that - what an asshole! May have been tongue-in-cheek, as Hutchence doesn't seem too upset when asked about it in an interview clip, but a TV audience of millions is not a bunch of mates looking on in the pub :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,735 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Just found a clip of that - what an asshole! May have been tongue-in-cheek, as Hutchence doesn't seem too upset when asked about it in an interview clip, but a TV audience of millions is not a bunch of mates looking on in the pub :rolleyes:
    In the documentary someone said it really hurt Michael what Noel said. They did say Liam was sound and really nice chatting to Michael before the awards. Asshole is the proper word for Noel alright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

I had the impression Liam was the bigger gobdaw, but perhaps not always!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭BandMember

Very good doc alright, even if you're not that big of an INXS fan. A lot of rare/unseen/unique footage which gave a lot of insight into what was going on behind the scenes. The narrative in this seemed to imply that the wheels started to come off for him when they made it big with Kick and brought whatever issues he had to the fore, but the result of the injuries sustained in the assault from the taxi driver just amplified them at warp speed. You certainly never got the sense that he'd be sitting on the porch of his French villa sipping a glass of wine at the age of 80 anyway....

As for Noel Gallagher's comment about him at the BRIT Awards.....well......he should hope that he's not presenting any awards at it any time soon as he is in danger of being labelled "a has been" the way things are going for him...... Liam is an idiot, yes, but Noel always thought he's more clever than he really is....

If anyone feels like a two part mini series (or a 3 hour movie), this is a made in Australia tv mini series from a few years back. No Oscar nominations, but a passable look if you can find it: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3150144/

• Registered Users Posts: 72,655 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

There will come a day when Noel will be presenting Lewis Capaldi with a BRIT award :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,940 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Raging I missed that INXS doc, hope it'll be on again...

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

January, sick and tired you've been hanging on me ... no sign of Pilot but Stewart Copeland is on BBC4 to sort out the history of music in three hours. He is spreading, going from the earliest musical instrument to Bobby McFerrin in the first show.

Sky has Rush and that very long Bob Dylan Scorcese Doc

RTE has Nathan Carter and People learning to play the piano.

Thursday
    10.15pm Making The Grade (RTE1)
    Doc about piano teachers and exams.

Friday
    7.30pm Top Of The Pops 1989 – January 19 (BBC4)
    Bruno Brookes and Richard Skinner present the edition first shown on January 19, featuring performances by Roachford, Roy Orbison, Robert Howard and Kym Mazelle, Marc Almond and Gene Pitney, Ten City, Mica Paris and Will Downing, New Model Army, Brother Beyond, Natalie Cole, Mike and the Mechanics, Holly Johnson, Fine Young Cannibals, Kylie Minogue and Jason Donovan, and Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock (some of them are probably just brief video clips)

7.30pm Na Piobairi Uillean (TG4)
    The story of the first piping tionól, held in April 1968 in Bettystown, Co Meath, featuring a first-hand account of what happened on the day Na Píobairí Uilleann was formed and the future of the uilleann pipes was secured

8pm & 2.30am The Sound Of Musicals with Neil Brand (BBC4)
    Ep 1/3 The composer and author reveals how the modern shape of the musical was established through a series of pioneering works, examining Jerome Kern and Oscar Hammerstein's Show Boat's bold look at America's racial divide in the 1920s. He also explores innovative uses of songs that further the narrative, referencing Alan Jay Lerner and Frederick Loewe's My Fair Lady, which made a star of Julie Andrews in the late 1950

8pm Soundtracks: Songs That Defined History (Sky Arts)
    Ep 2/12. Songs related to 9/11

9pm Top Of The Pops 1989 – January 26 (BBC4)
    Gary Davies and Anthea Turner present the edition first shown on January 26, featuring performances by Then Jerico, Adeva, Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock, Mica Paris and Will Downing, Bobby Brown, Level 42, Sheena Easton, Ten City, Brother Beyond, Marc Almond and Gene Pitney, and Milli Vanilli

9pm-11pm The Rolling Stones – Totally Stripped (Sky Arts)
    Documentary about the making of the band's 1995 album Stripped, featuring interviews, performances and rehearsal footage from project, in which the Stones reinterpreted tracks from their back catalogue in pared-back versions, alongside covers of Willie Dixon's Little Baby and Bob Dylan's Like a Rolling Stone

9.30pm & 1.30am Stewart Copeland’s Adventures In Music (BBC4) New!
    The musician explores the power music has to bring people together and to bond them in ways that are fundamental. His travels take him from the southern German cave where a 40,000-year-old bone flute was discovered to the modern-day mass singalong of New York's Choir! Choir! Choir! Along the way he gets to play with a Memphis marching band, join a song circle led by Bobby McFerrin, deconstruct the sexiness of Relax with its producer Trevor Horn, discuss the art of song-writing with his old Police colleague Sting and learn how to create dance floor unity with star DJ Honey Dijon
    https://www.stewartcopeland.net/news/2661/adventures-in-music-bbc

10.30pm Duran Duran: There’s Something You Should Know (NNC4)
    Simon Le Bon, John Taylor, Nick Rhodes and Roger Taylor open up about the highs and lows of the band's career - with archive footage of former guitarist Andy Taylor helping round out the story. Includes Nile Rodgers

11pm-3am Bob Dylan – No Direction Home (Parts 1&2) (Sky Arts)
    Martin Scorsese's very long two-part profile of the singer. The first half examines Dylan's formative years, with contributions by childhood friends and teachers on his earliest musical efforts and also explores his arrival on New York's thriving early 1960s folk scene and the artists who influenced his work. In Part 2 Martin Scorsese's profile of the singer takes a dark turn. Already a phenomenon at the age of 23, Dylan struggled to find a new musical vocabulary. The old Left hoped he would be a political activist, while the media wanted him to articulate the concerns of America's youth, but neither role interested Dylan

11pm Doolin (BBC Alba)
    Music from the 2018 Doolin Festival, Performers include Muireann NicAmhlaoibh, Paul Brady and Lunasa

11.30pm Smashing Hits! – The 80s Pop Map Of Britain And Ireland (BBC4)
    Midge Ure and Kim Appleby visit London and Manchester, the two cities that did battle with each other for musical pre-eminence as '80s music turned towards the new sounds of dance. This is a tale of how studio technology changed music - with British bands putting their own unique spin on dance to produce contrasting northern and southern sounds. Contributors include Denise Pearson from Five Star, Soul II Soul's Jazzie B, Mark Moore of S-Express, Shaun Ryder from the Happy Mondays and Peter Hook of New Order

11.30pm Ceolchuairt - Jamaica (TG4)
    Musician Gearóid Mac Lochlainn embarks on a journey of self-discovery as he visits Jamaica, the cradle of reggae. During his travels, he reveals how songs such as Bob Marley's One Love formed the soundtrack to his teenage years in Belfast

12.05am Other Voices – Electric Picnic (RTE2)
    Music show celebrating new and innovative talent, with performances from Passenger, Derma Kennedy, Sigrid, Dowry, Inhaler and others at Electric Picnic

Saturday
    6pm Ed Sheeran: Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)

7pm Guitar Heroes At The BBC (Yesterday)
    Alice Cooper, New York Dolls, Peter Green, Queen, Robin Trower, John Martyn, Whitesnake, Joan Jett, Black Sabbath, Davy Graham and Ralph McTell, Nils Lofgren and Ted Nugent. the Faces, Chris Spedding, the Runaways, Judas Priest, ZZ Top and the Cate Brothers

7.15pm The Rolling Stones: Sticky Fingers Live At The Fonda Theatre (Sky Arts)
    2015 gig

9pm Muscle Shoals (Sky Arts)
    A look inside the acclaimed music hub, located alongside the Tennessee River. The studio's output has helped to create some of the most important and resonant songs of all time. Founder Rick Hall overcame poverty and tragedy and brought black and white musicians together in Alabama's cauldron of racial hostility to create music for the generations. Contributors include Greg Allman, Clarence Carter, Mick Jagger, Etta James, Alicia Keys, Keith Richards and Percy Sledge

10.30pm Top Of The Pops 1989 – January 19 (BBC4)
    11pm Top Of The Pops 1989 – January 26 (BBC4)

11.10pm Nathan Carter 3 Arena Show (RTE1)
    NB - A listing is not an endorsement

11.15pm Lynyrd Skynyrd: If I Leave Here Tomorrow (Sky Arts)
    The history of the American rock band, who came to define an era with their sound, their drunken and dangerous antics and their controversial use of the rebel flag

11.30pm Meat Loaf – In And Out Of Hell (BBC4)
    A profile of the rock star's life and career, reflecting on the music that propelled him to fame and charting his journey from an overweight, bullied child to his larger-than-life persona and icon status.

12.35am … Sings Musicals (BBC4)
    Musicals songs and stuff like that.

Sunday
    9pm Rush: Time Stand Still (Sky Arts)
    Documentary about Canadian rock band Rush and their unique relationship with fans, set against the backdrop of the group's 40th anniversary tour in 2015. Shown as a tribute to Neil Peart

9.30pm Se Mo Laoch - Pádraigín Ní Uallacháin (TG4)
    10.30pm Geantrai (TG4)

performances from Joe Derrane, John McCann and Seamus Connolly. Plus, Daithí Sproule along with Johnny O'Leary and Helena Delaney

11pm Dire Straits: Alchemy 1983 (Sky Arts)
    From the Hammersmith Odeon

1am The Rolling Stones - Totally Stripped (Sky Arts)

Those people hammering away at the piano should take inspiration from Ferris Bueller, a man with no formal training at the clarinet ...

And finally, if you not going to Paris this weekend you could Enjoy the best bits of the Louvre while listening to Ca Plane Pour Moi in National Lampoon's European Vacation (Saturday ITV4 10.45pm)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I actually have a reminder on my phone for that learning to do piano doc.

Could be very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    I actually have a reminder on my phone for that learning to do piano doc.

Could be very interesting.

Missed that. Must read back more carefully. I'll record for the daughter. She likes a tinkle.

Former ‘mop top’ Pete Best is on ‘The Late Late Show’ tomorrow night. :)

Sorry Mr. Epstein, but misery-filled chat shows with mediocre presenters are on the way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,809 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Former ‘mop top’ Pete Best is on ‘The Late Late Show’ tomorrow night. :)

Sorry Mr. Epstein, but misery-filled chat shows with mediocre presenters are on the way out.

Ha. He got fired from the Beatles and his best mate knocked up his mother in the same month. Thats a grim 4 weeks.

Edit: Actually, his mum gave birth to his, errr, best mates kid and then he got fired from the Beatles. His best mate being Neil Aspinall. The bands then roadie and later head of Apple.

Popperdetops!

Cuddly Toy! :cool:

Roy Orbison, known as The Big...

stf,small,600x600-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Dr. Bobby doin' house. Da fook?

No leopards were harmed in the making of Kym Mazelle’s outfit.

Almond and Pitney...shouldn’t work on paper, but an absolute classic :)

Brother Beyond! 'ardcore

• Advertisement

‘The Living Years’!

giphy.gif

Loved Frankie, thought this was bleedin' bruuuutal.

Spaghetti leg dance. Must have dreadful hip problems by now.

‘Especially For You’!

giphy.gif

Anthea, could you...

source.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,002 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Anthea, could you...

source.gif

Squeem and Squeem and Squeem until she's sick.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Great anecdote, Gary. :confused:

Don't recognise this song, didn't recognise last one either.

Only sort of remember this Mica Paris one, but that could have been from the totp on a hour ago :)

Think I preferred the last 1989 totp that was on.

• Advertisement

Meh, tis no 'Sex Dwarf'.

Advertisement