Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Wifey: why are Kylie and Jason doing a mammy dance?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,385 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

bbc 4 music documentries are great

• Registered Users Posts: 72,655 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

bbc 4 music documentries are great

Only yesterday, I was watching an excellent BBC4 documentary about the late, great Viv Stanshall of The Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,385 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

choir choir choir in toronto looks amazing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

I didn't catch much of that programme, but looking up CCC now it does indeed seem like a fantastic endeavour - could even imagine my no-musical-voice self joining in! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,276 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Almond and Pitney...shouldn’t work on paper, but an absolute classic :)

There's something hypnotic about them belting it out in their different styles, directly to the audience and never looking at each other... a duo not a duet.
    I want a trio next!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

An old Larry Gogan tribute show is getting a repeat on Monday

Monday RTE1 11.35pm Bibi: Larry Gogan Special
    Following the recent death of broadcaster Larry Gogan, another chance to see a 1988 programme hosted by Bibi Baskin in which celebrities including Terry Wogan paid tribute to him

Hello, not the busiest week again but we have a new Depeche Mode doc on Sky Arts while BBC4 continues Stewart Copeland's history of music in 7 1/2 minutes thing. Decent repeats in Bruce Springsteen, Reginald D Hunter and others. Here are the details ...

Thursday
    Nothing

Friday
    7.30pm Top Of The Pops 1989 – February 2 (BBC4)
    Steve Wright and Simon Mayo present the edition first shown on February 2nd. Featuring performances / video clippage by Holly Johnson, Roy Orbison, Robert Howard and Kym Mazelle, Sheena Easton, Michael Ball, Yazz, Hue and Cry, Samantha Fox, Simply Red, Roachford, Marc Almond and Gene Pitney, and Bobby Brown

8pm & 2.25am Sound Of Musicals with Neil Brand (BBC4)
    Ep 2/3 Something's Coming The presenter explores how a new generation of composers transformed musical theatre by embracing more gritty, challenging subjects, from the mean streets of 1950s New York in West Side Story to the Dickensian London of British blockbuster Oliver! Neil learns the stories behind Broadway hits Fiddler on the Roof and A Chorus Line, and celebrates the ground-breaking work of composer and lyricist Stephen Sondheim. He also reveals the 'secrets' of some classic numbers with the help of performers Robert Lindsay and Frances Ruffelle

8pm Soundtracks: Songs That Defined History (Sky Arts)
    Ep 3/8 A look at how the politically driven songs of Neil Young and Buffalo Springfield took on new meaning following the Kent State massacre during anti-Vietnam War protest

9pm Top Of The Pops 1989 – February 9 (BBC4)
    Mike Read and Sybil Ruscoe present the edition first shown on February 9th. Featuring performances by Samantha Fox, Rick Astley, Yazz, Hue and Cry, Def Leppard, Poison, Texas, Michael Ball, Bobby Brown, Morrissey, Marc Almond and Gene Pitney, and Mike and the Mechanics

9pm Quadrophenia – Our Generation (Sky Arts)
    Celebrity fans and cast members come together to shed light on the making of Quadrophenia and explore the legacy that the cult film has left behind, 40 years after its release

9.30pm & 1.25am Stewart Copeland’s Adventures In Music (BBC4)
    Ep 2/3 The performer continues his mission to understand how music works by exploring its extraordinary power to tell stories. His journey includes meetings with film director Francis Ford Coppola, who explains how simple musical devices transformed the most famous scenes in The Godfather and Apocalypse Now, Sting, who describes the secrets of his song-writing process, rapper Talib Kweli, who looks at the power of music in protest, and the French-Cuban Ibeyi sisters, who show how music has kept the Yoruban tradition alive

10pm Lambert & Stamp (Sky Arts)
    Documentary about aspiring directors-turned-music managers Chris Stamp and Kit Lambert. The film-makers intended to make a film about 1960s youth subculture, which led them to forge a new career as the managers for the Who, using their cinematic vision to shape the band's iconic image. Featuring contributions from Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend and Chris' brother, Terence Stamp

10.30pm Boy George’s Save Me From Suburbia (BBC4)
    Boy George revisits his teenage years. While history may remember the 1970s as being marked by strikes, poverty and civil discord, the singer reveals that - for the young George O'Dowd - the decade was the beginning of his musical, social and sexual coming-of-age. He discusses how sexual repression and disenfranchisement, along with the advent of glam rock, disco and punk, gave rise to the flamboyant persona he would later unleash on the world, via Culture Club's memorable first appearance on Top of the Pops in 1982

11.30pm Reginald D Hunter’s Songs From The South – Tennessee and Kentucky (BBC4)
    Ep1/3 The Georgia-born, London-based comedian goes on a road trip to explore the American South through its songs both past and present, beginning with the music of Kentucky and Tennessee. He examines the disturbing tradition of blackface minstrels, and visits Dollywood theme park, a slave plantation, the home of country music in Nashville, a moonshine distillery in Gatlinburg and a string-band festival in Mount Air. Featuring contributions by Dolly Parton, the Handsome Family and Del McCoury

Midnight Ceolchuairt – Portugal (TG4)
    Róisín Elsafty explores the Portuguese Fado style of music, which the singer believes to be a distant relation of her own sean-nos style

12.15am Bruce Springsteen – In His Own Words (RTE2)
    The musician, widely hailed as one of the all-time greats, looks back and muses upon his life and career. His reflection is coupled with snippets of live performance, all joining together to form the narrative, in his own words

12.15am The Who Live At Kilburn 1977 (Sky Arts)

1.45am The Who: Sensation – The Story Of Tommy (Sky Arts)

3am Trailblazers – Heavy Metal (Sky Arts)

Saturday
    5pm Live From The Artists Den – The National (Sky Arts)

6pm The Killers Live At The Royal Albert Hall (Sky Arts)

7pm TOTP – The Story Of 1977 (Yesterday)
    8pm TOTP – The Story of 1978 (Yesterday)

8pm Music Videos That Shaped The 80s (Sky Arts)

9pm Depeche Mode – Spirits In The Forest (Sky Arts) New!
    Documentary featuring footage from two concerts by the band at Berlin's Waldbuehne in July 2018, as well as interviews with six of their devoted fans. Seems to be as much a doc about the fans as a concert film
    https://www.indiewire.com/2019/11/spirits-in-the-forest-review-depeche-mode-documentary-1202191367/

10.45pm Depeche Mode Live In Berlin (Sky Arts)
    A 2013 concert by the band at the O2 World arena, featuring tracks from 13th studio album Delta Machine, as well as hits including Personal Jesus and Policy of Truth

11.25pm Top Of The Pops 1989 – February 2 (BBC4)
    11.55pm Top Of The Pops 1989 – February 9 (BBC4)

1.15am Duran Duran – A Diamond In The Mind (Sky Arts)
    2011 Concert

3.15am Soundtracks: Songs That Defined History (Sky Arts)

Sunday
    7pm Great Film Composers – Music Of The Movies (BBC4)
    The work of Jerry Goldsmith, David Shire and John Williams in the 1970s, when they composed music for films including Alien, All the President's Men and Jaws

9.30pm Se Mo Laoch (TG4)
    Roscommon Flute Player Patsy Hanly

10.30pm Geantrai (TG4)
    Trad

11pm Quadrophenia – Our Generation (Sky Arts)

11.15pm Straight Outta Compton (ITV4)
    Biopic of hip-hop group NWA, examining their rise to fame in the 1980s. "After seeing the movie I was really disappointed because I did not see any drama in it and the boredom in it really kills and sucks so bad. Sadly this is a bad adult movie with corrupt men that I advise you to avoid" says Aramana on IMDB who gives it 1/10. On the other hand, Gbill-74877 says " If you are a fan, you'll probably be in heaven. Either way, I highly recommend this movie, which has it all: great acting, a compelling story, riveting direction, and most importantly, honesty." and gives it 9/10. Nearly three hours long.

Midnight The Go-Betweens – Right Here (Sky Arts)
    Documentary delving into the triumphs and tragedies of Australian indie band the Go-Betweens, revealing the passionate, creative and fraught relationships within the group

That's more or less it, as always do let us know if anything decent is on anywhere

BBC Radio 4 Extra had an unusual compilation of music dramas last week, everything from Impressionist John Culshaw as Bowie to an imagining of when Elvis met the Beatles and a Spinal Tap reunion. Available to stream for another 18 days, more details in this link https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m000d7f9
    Shame they didn't put the times each bit starts on it. The Bowie bit starts at 6.15 minutes in, that's as far as I have got

Finally, BBC2 has a repeat of a Monty Python Doc tonight at 11.15pm which might feature The Lumberjack Song, which was co-written by Terry Jones who passed away today RIP. Produced by George Harrison, surely his finest hour ...

Mopperdetops! :)

All aboard the Love Train! Choo Choo!

• Advertisement

“Baby, bay-beeh...I’m on a winning streak!”

000f3659-500.jpg

Licking Out Linda! :eek:

It’s a disgrace, Joe! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Loving Stuart Copeland’s music doc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

As much as I love his drumming, he wrote the theme tune to The Equaliser. He'll always be a hero to me for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Have it on here too. Is it a repeat? OH thinks she saw it before.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Loving Stuart Copeland’s music doc

It's excellent.

The list of famous songs I just don't "get" is a long one.

Scarborough Fair is quite high on it.

Ol' Donie wrote: »

Be off with you Donie! :) It's absolutely beautiful imo

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ol' Donie wrote: »

This is a haunting version of it, way too short though

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    Be off with you Donie! :) It's absolutely beautiful imo

I've flippin' tried, y'know!

I think it harks back to my childhood, seeing Art Garfunkel and wondering what the hell's going on there.

I'm not saying I'm right, y'know.

His hair was bonkers.

• Advertisement

'Straight Outta Compton'. A younger me used to beg the DJ to play it and then go a bit mental when he finally did.

'Straight Outta Compton'. A younger me used to beg the DJ to play it and then go a bit mental when he finally did.

I bought that album on CD less than a year ago.

I was absolutely gobsmacked at how amazing it is still. I thought it might be a bit nostalgic, but it was much, much better'n that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Skid X wrote: »
    Finally, BBC2 has a repeat of a Monty Python Doc tonight at 11.15pm which might feature The Lumberjack Song, which was co-written by Terry Jones who passed away today RIP. Produced by George Harrison, surely his finest hour ...
    Nice harmonies :D
    RIP Mr Jones, indeed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,955 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

As much as I love his drumming, he wrote the theme tune to The Equaliser. He'll always be a hero to me for that.
    The Equalizer was great. McCall and his Jaguar XJ6.

I see Martin Degville’s fashion sense hasn’t changed much since Sigue Sigue Sputnik!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

He also made a brief appearance as a baddie in an episode. It's on YouTube if you fancy a laugh with an excellent soundtrack.

De-peshay Mode night on Sky Arts tonight :)

Wearing my Martin Gore-approved leather gimp outfit in anticipation :cool:

I didn't catch much of that programme, but looking up CCC now it does indeed seem like a fantastic endeavour - could even imagine my no-musical-voice self joining in! :D

Just watching that now (In Ep1 of Stewart Copeland's Adventures in Music series)

Looks brilliant, I would love to have a go at something like that

Stewart does a great job in that show, his enthusiasm is infectious.

Hello, Stewart Copeland from the Police tries to drum up interest in Moroccan Folk Music while TG4 sends Daire Bracken to investigate Mongolian Fiddling. And that's just part of Friday night. Elsewhere Sky has a thing about Indy Music Venues while BBC4 repeats an old BBC3 Doc on Pulp's Common People. Here come the details ...

Thursday
    10pm BBC Arts NI Presents … Collaborations (BBC2 NI)
    Musicians from various genres team up for one-off performances, including Kitt Philippa with Daithí and the Belfast Community Gospel Choir, Wood Burning Savages with Ursula Burns, Ruth McGinley with Neil Martin, and The Lost Brothers with Zoe Conway

11pm Great Film Composers – The Magic Of The Movies (Sky Arts)
    Part one of two. Soundtracks of the 1980s, including John Williams' score for ET, Brad Fiedel's music for The Terminator and Wendy Carlos and Rachel Elkind's work on The Shining

Friday
    7.30pm Top Of The Pops 1989 – February 16 (BBC4)
    Mark Goodier and Andy Crane present the edition first shown on February 16, featuring performances by Def Leppard, Simple Minds, Gloria Estefan, Poison, Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians, Pop Will Eat Itself, Debbie Gibson, Texas, Sam Brown, the Style Council, Marc Almond and Gene Pitney, and S-Express

8pm & 2.30am Sound Of Musicals With Neil Brand (BBC4)
    Ep 3/3 The writer and composer looks at the rise of the all-conquering contemporary blockbuster, from Evita to Les Miserables and The Lion King. He also sees how these mega-musicals have met with unexpected competition from quirky hits such as The Rocky Horror Show and Avenue Q. Contributors include Tim Rice, Alan Menkin and Robert Lopez

8pm Soundtracks – Songs That Defined History (Sky Arts)
    Hurricane Katrina – with U2, Kanye West and others

9pm Top Of The Pops 1989 – February 23 (BBC4)
    Bruno Brookes and Susie Mathis present the edition first shown on February 23, featuring performances by S-Express, Michael Jackson, Edie Brickell and the New Bohemians, Rick Astley, Tyree featuring Kool Rock Stead, Living in a Box, Tone Loc, Dusty Springfield, Hue and Cry, Michael Ball, Simple Minds, and Bananarama and Lananeeneenoonoo

9pm The Long And Winding Road (Sky Arts) New!
    Documentary exploring the dynamic and eclectic independent live music scene, with Radiohead's Philip Selway meeting the people at the heart of these venues
    https://www.independentvenueweek.com/2020/01/long-and-winding-road-film-premier/

9.30pm & 1.30am Stewart Copeland’s Adventures In Music (BBC4)
    The performer explores the transcendental powers of music and how certain sounds have the ability to move transport the mind and even help people briefly 'escape the world'. Stuart travels to Morocco to discover the polyrhythms of Gnawa and back to Wells Cathedral to understand the mechanics of choral polyphony. He meets Kanye West collaborator Caroline Shaw to examine melody and the effect of the human voice, CeCe Winans to discuss the roots of Gospel, takes a gong bath in New York and visits minimalist master Steve Reich to unpack the trance inducing powers of repetition

10.30pm Buddy Holly – Rave On (BBC4)
    This documentary tells the story of Holly's tragically short life and career through interviews with those who knew him and worked with him. Contributors include Don McLean, Paul Anka, Don Everly, Hank Marvin and Bob Harris. Not on Youtube,

10.45pm Suburban Steps To Rockland – The Story Of The Ealing Club (Sky Arts)
    Documentary about the west London music venue that became the launchpad for British rock musicians including the Rolling Stones, the Who and Eric Clapton

11.30pm Reginald D Hunter’s Songs Of The South – Alabama & Georgia (BBC4)
    The London-based comedian continues his exploration of the American South through its songs both past and present in Alabama, where he attends a Lynyrd Skynyrd gig and learns about the city of Muscle Shoals' role in the development of soul. Reg then heads to his home state of Georgia, where he visits Athens - where rock bands the B52s and REM originated - and Atlanta, the birthplace of civil rights leader Martin Luther King and rapper Ludacris. Featuring contributions by Arrested Development, St Paul and the Broken Bones, Clarence Carter and Sharon Jones

12.05am Ceolchuairt – Mongolia (TG4)
    Slide musician Daire Bracken travels to the plains of Mongolia in pursuit of the morin khuur, an exotic, horse-headed fiddle. His musical boundaries are pushed even further when he is given an unexpected introduction to the Mongolian art of throat singing

12.30am The Story Of Pulp’s Common People (BBC4)
    Documentary examining the origins of the indie band's song about class differences in the 1990s. Frontman Jarvis Cocker returns to St Martin's College, where he met the girl who became the inspiration for the track's heroine, while the band recall the single's success. With contributions from Sadie Frost, Vic Reeves, Franz Ferdinand and Kaiser Chiefs. It’s on Youtube but missing some parts.

12.45am Depeche Mode: Spirits In The Forest (Sky Arts)
    The Depeche Mode Fan Doc which was on last week

2.30am Depeche Mode Live In Berlin (Sky Arts)

Saturday
    7pm Live From The Artists’ Den – Alanis Morrissette (Sky Arts)

7pm-9pm Sounds Of The Sixties (Yesterday)
    The Springfields, the Shadows, the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, the Dave Clark Five, The Seekers and the Byrds, Tom Jones, the Kinks, Manfred Mann, John Lee Hooker and the Pretty Things, Pete Seeger, Tim Buckley, Joan Baez, Bob Dylan and Leonard Cohen

8pm Johnny Cash – Beyond Prison Walls (Sky Arts)
    1977 Tennesse Prison Concert

9pm Heartworn Highways (Sky Arts)
    Documentary released in 1981 about the outlaw country music movement, including Townes Van Zandt, Steve Earle, David Allan Coe, Rodney Crowell, Gamble Rogers and Steve Young. Gamble Rogers’ full name is James Gamble Rogers, so he could honestly say ‘Gamble is my middle name’ when challenged to a bet. He died in 1991 trying to save a man from drowning, alas. Anyway, here is the trailer

https://myfloridahistory.org/date-in-history/october-10-1991/death-gamble-rogers

10.45pm Fairport Convention – Folk Heroes (Sky Arts)
    The original members of the band look back on Fairport Convention's 50-year history and reflect on how they pioneered the British folk rock movement

11.20pm The Road To Fast 9 (Sky One)
    Cardi B, Wiz Khalifa, Charlie Puth, Ozuna and Ludacris perform at the event in Miami, which also featured the premiere of the trailer for Fast & Furious 9

1.15am Joan Baez Live In New York (Sky Arts)
    The folk singer-songwriter performs alongside stars including David Crosby, Damien Rice and Paul Simon in a concert at New York's Beacon Theatre in celebration of her 75th birthday

1.25am Top Of The Pops 1989 – February 16 (BBC4)
    1.55am Top Of The Pops 1989 – February 23 (BBC4)

Sunday
    7pm Great Film Composers – The Magic Of The Movies (Sky Arts)
    As Thursday

9pm The Shadows – The Final Tour (Sky Arts)
    2004 gig from Cardiff. Last for three hours, so you might be Hank Marvin by the end

9.30pm Se Mo Laoch (TG4)
    Looking at the life and career of Paddy Glackin, one of Ireland's best-known traditional fiddlers and former member of The Bothy Band. Featuring contributions from Robbie Hannan, Dermot McLaughlin, Kevin and Seamus Glackin and Dónal Lunny

10.30pm Geantrai (TG4)
    Trad from Tipp

11pm Mna An Cheoil (TG4)
    Ep 1/6 Female Harp Players

11.55pm Carl Perkins and Friends (Sky Arts)
    1985 Wembley Gig with Eric Clapton and Ringo Starr

1am Johnny Cash - Beyond Prison Walls (Sky Arts)
    As Saturday

1am Arena – American Epic (BBC4)
    Elton John, Willie Nelson, Merle Haggard, Alabama Shakes, Jack White, Nas, Ana Gabriel, Beck, Los Lobos and Steve Martin are among the modern artists who test their skills against the demands of the recording machine that literally made American music. There are no edits, no overdubs, and no retakes, and the disc only allows for three minutes of recording time. Despite these limitations, today's recordings for American Epic have one advantage - the freshly recorded sound is crystal clear and of an astonishing depth, transporting listeners vividly into the past - and the future. Narrated by Robert Redford

2am Music Videos That Shaped The 80s (Sky Arts)

As always do let us know if you have seen anything else of interest. Rhys Thomas is developing a spoof Spandau Ballet Doc for BBC4, hard to know what is or isn't true after the BBC4 Bros revival a while back https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/the_kemps_all_true/

Ricky Wilson from the Kaiser Chiefs and Radio's Tony Blackburn have started a new podcast where they investigate pop myths and legends. In episode 1 they look at whether Debbie Harry was almost abducted by Charles Manson. Sure it's harmless enough and it's nice to see Tony still going strong

https://audioboom.com/posts/7488508-case-001-the-superstar-the-serial-killer

And finally, the Best Rendition Of Whole Of The Moon Of The Week By A Priest might be this effort from Father Noel Furlong (Saturday Night More4 12.05am). Whatever happened to him ?

• Advertisement

Don't forget Jennifer Lopez and Shakira are doing the Superbowl halftime show (sorry, the Pepsi Superbowl Halftime Show) on Sunday night/Monday morning.

So, that'd be a good time to watch either Bruce or Prince's half time shows on youtube.

Advertisement