Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,655 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Flippityfloppitytoppitypoppity!

Some ‘Lick My Love Pump’-ery from the Def Leps.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,955 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Def Leppard - great band.

Great drumming from Rick Allen...you've got to hand it to him.

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

"Get me a close up of the Drummer's Missing Arm ... no, I don't care if you have to stand in the middle of the stage to get it, I want to see his non-arm"

• Advertisement

Hats off for going into the best bit of ‘Belfast Child’...avoiding the first ten minutes.

Skid X wrote: »
    "Get me a close up of the Drummer's Missing Arm ... no, I don't care if you have to stand in the middle of the stage to get it, I want to see his non-arm"
    All a bit of 'armless fun.

Every Rose Has Its Thorn - class tune.

Sam Brown's Dad was Joe Brown, who was a well known musician and TV personality who played the guitar solo in Stop

He either didn't bother turning up or they cut before his solo, for some reason

• Advertisement

Weller goes Acid House.

*shudder*

Skid X wrote: »
    Sam Brown's Dad was Joe Brown, who was a well known musician and TV personality who played the guitar solo in Stop

He either didn't bother turning up or they cut before his solo, for some reason
    Maybe he wanted to do a long solo, like what Alex Lifeson did in Working Man ;)

Gene Pitney died in Cardiff.

Nowhere near Tulsa :(

Wait, S-Express had another song?!

:eek:

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Don't forget Jennifer Lopez and Shakira are doing the Superbowl halftime show (sorry, the Pepsi Superbowl Halftime Show) on Sunday night/Monday morning.

So, that'd be a good time to watch either Bruce or Prince's half time shows on youtube.

:pac:

GAA HQ 1988

"Lads I was watching the Super-Bowl last night, I think this is something we should do for the All Ireland final - no need for the flashing lights and pop music and dancing though, Foster And Allen and The Artane Boys Band will do the job

Sure the Americans will be copying us next year ..."

Flippityfloppitytoppitypoppityparttwo!

Bruno, Evel Knievel called...he wants his jacket back!

‘Leave Me Alone’...

Said Michael’s house guests.

:o

TONE LOC!

AH YEAH!

:cool:

RIP Andy Gill of legendary post-punk outfit Gang Of Four :(

Turn it up...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    So, that'd be a good time to watch either Bruce or Prince's half time shows on youtube.

Tom Petty in between was damn fine too

Hello, what's happening this weekend? - well, there's a Whitney Houston Doc on Channel 4 which hasn't been on TV here before (I think). There were two similar Docs released after her death, Bobby Brown only contributed to this one - I suppose it is his prerogative

Elsewhere there a Bob Marley mash up on Friday as BBC4 and Sky both broadcast shows for his Birthday, there's also a lot of very similar soundtracks shows to select from ...

Thursday
    9pm Autopsy – Notorius BIG (VM2)
    His real name was Christopher Wallace, apparently

11pm Great Film Composers – The Music Of The Movies (Sky Arts)
    Part two of two. A look at soundtracks of the 1980s, when films like Back to the Future, Die Hard and The Abyss dominated cinema, and four composers took centre stage

Friday
    7.30pm Top Of The Pops 1989 – March 2 (BBC4)
    Gary Davies and Anthea Turner present the edition first shown on March 2, with performances by Living in a Box, Sam Brown, Jason Donovan, Tyree featuring Kool Rock Steady, Depeche Mode, Deacon Blue, Donna Summer, Wasp, Gloria Estefan, Texas, Simple Minds and Poison

8pm & 2.25am Doris Day – Virgin Territory (BBC4)
    A profile of the American singer, actress and animal rights activist. Narrated by Michael Brandon.

8pm Soundtracks – Songs That Defined History (Sky Arts)
    The Berlin Wall And The Fall Of Communism

8.30pm Se Mo Laoch – Johnny Connolly (TG4)

9pm Top Of The Pops 1989- March 9 (BBC4)
    Nicky Campbell and Lenny Henry host the edition first shown on March 9, featuring performances by the Reynolds Girls, Dusty Springfield, Womack & Womack, Deacon Blue, Paula Abdul, Bananarama and Lananeeneenoonoo, Donna Summer, Jason Donovan and Wasp

9pm Rudeboy – The Story Of Trojan Records (Sky Arts)
    Documentary exploring the origins and impact of the Jamaican label, which provided the musical soundtrack that inspired and influenced a new generation of British youth

9.30pm There’s Only One Madonna (BBC4)
    An examination of the singer's popularity in Britain, revealing her influence on the worlds of fashion, music and gender politics and following a group of fans on her tour. From 2001.

10.25pm Madonna – Rebel Heart Tour (BBC4)
    Directors Danny B Tull and Nathan Rissman showcase the American pop singer's 2015-2016 world tour via as-live footage and candid behind-the-scenes coverage

10.55pm Bob Marley – The Making Of A Legend (Sky Arts)
    Esther Anderson's documentary based on film shot in the early 1970s in Jamaica, charting the reggae musician's career before he shot to worldwide fame. The end of this clashes with the Bob Marley thing on Sky Arts …

11.35pm Ceolchuairt - Sardinia (TG4)
    Piper Mick O Brien embarks on a musical pilgrimage to Sardinia, where he meets Luigi Lai, who plays an ancient three-reed cane pipe called the Launeddas, which is believed to be the precursor of all uileann pipes

12.25am Classic Albums: Bob Marley And The Wailers – Catch A Fire (BBC4)
    Concert footage, home movies and interviews in Jamaica give a background to the Wailers' LP Catch a Fire, which launched Bob Marley onto the global music scene

12.45am Bob Marley Live At The Rainbow 1977 (Sky Arts)
    A 1977 performance by the singer at London's Rainbow Theatre, filmed shortly after the release of his album Exodus

1.25am Reginald D Hunter’s Songs From The South - Mississippi & Louisiana (BBC4)
    The comedian concludes his road trip through the American South by exploring the musical heritage of Mississippi and Louisiana. In Memphis, he meets songwriting partners Steve Cropper and Eddie Floyd at Stax Records, before going on the trail of the origins of both delta and hill country blues in the company of musicians Seasick Steve and Cedric Burnside. His final port of call is New Orleans, where he meets Dr John, Irma Thomas and Allen Toussaint, three of the city's most celebrated artists

2.15am Oasis - Live By The Sea (Sky Arts)
    1995 Southend Gig

Saturday
    5pm Johny Cash’s Bitter Tears Revisited (Sky Arts)
    The story behind Johnny Cash's lost Native American-themed concept album and his collaboration with folk artist Peter La Farge

6.10pm I Am Johnny Cash (Sky Arts)
    A celebration of the country singer-songwriter built around 12 of his classic tracks spanning four decades, and featuring interviews with his family and friends

7pm-9pm Sounds Of The Sixties (Yesterday)
    Archive hits from TOTP and elsewhere, featuring the Foundations, Procol Harum, the Bee Gees, the Rolling Stones, and Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick and Tich, Herman's Hermits, the Crazy World of Arthur Brown, the Alan Price Set, Manfred Mann, Sandie Shaw, Dusty Springfield, Long John Baldry and Tom Jones, the Who, Pink Floyd, Joe Cocker, the Nice and the Jimi Hendrix Experience

8pm Paul Weller – May Love Travel With You (Sky Arts)
    The singer-songwriter performs at London's Royal Festival Hall accompanied by an orchestra, playing a career-spanning set from Jam classics to songs from his 2018 album True Meanings.

9pm Film: Whitney (2018) (Channel 4) New!
    Documentary exploring the life and music of Whitney Houston, exploring her rise to fame and struggles with addiction that led to her death at the age of 48. Featuring previously unseen archive footage and demo recordings, as well as contributions from family and friends, including ex-husband Bobby Brown and The Bodyguard co-star Kevin Costner
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/whitney_2018

9pm The Story Of The Jam – About The Young Idea (Sky Arts)
    Documentary about the band, who were at the forefront of the late-1970s punk-mod scene, tracing the group's history from formation in 1975 to its end in 1982. Featuring interviews with frontman Paul Weller, bassist Bruce Foxton and drummer Rick Buckler, as well as archive performances. I really enjoyed this.

9.30pm Rollermania – Britain’s Biggest Boyband (BBC Scotland)

10.45pm Kelly Jones and Rhys Ifans In Coversation (Sky Arts)
    The listing for this says “A chat between the Sterephonics frontman and the actor” which doesn't reveal much

11.15pm Manic Street Preachers – Escape From History (Sky Arts)
    Documentary telling the story of the band's acclaimed 1996 album Everything Must Go, which was recorded in the wake of the disappearance of lyricist and guitarist Richey Edwards

1am Pulp Live At Brixton Academy (Sky Arts)

1.15am Top Of The Pops 1989 – March 2 (BBC4)
    1.45am Top Of The Pops 1989 – March 9 (BBC4)

2am Pet Shop Boys Live At The O2 (Sky Arts)

2.15am Score – Cinema’s Greatest Soundtracks (BBC4)
    Hollywood composers including Hans Zimmer, James Cameron, Danny Elfman, John Williams, Quincy Jones and Trent Reznor combine to give a privileged look inside the musical challenges and creative secrecy of the film score. Surprised this isn’t on earlier

Sunday
    9pm Bee Gees Live In Melbourne 1989 (Sky Arts)

11.15pm Chicago: Greatest Hits Live (Sky Arts)

12.50am Oasis Live By The Sea (Sky Arts)

2.05am Music Videos That Shaped The 80s (Sky Arts)

... and that's about that. The Election seems to take up a lot of airtime on the Irish Channels, hopefully normal service next week

No sign of Nile Rodgers recently, hope he is OK. Plenty of docs about The Nile on television, though. If BBC4 don't commission Nile On The Nile soon, then Sky will be all over it

Another chance to see Rocky III this weekend (RTE2 Friday 9.30pm). I enjoyed this article in the Guardian this week about how Survivor came to write Eye Of The Tiger for the film (The Studio wanted Another One Bites The Dust, but they couldn't get the rights

Sylvester Stallone sounds like the sort of Producer you need to get things moving in the Recording Studio, you can't buy advice like this
    After two days Sly said: “It doesn’t have balls. I don’t care what the hell you do, I want it to kick ass.”

All I did was push the faders up a single decibel and, boom, you could feel the difference. It was kicking and he loved it. He said: “Print it!” I told him: “But that’s the demo!” Sly said: “I don’t give a f**k what it is.” That’s his attitude. He’s a really cool guy.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/jan/27/how-we-made-eye-of-the-tiger-rocky-iii-survivor-sylvester-stallone

• Registered Users Posts: 34,940 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Shocking line-up this weekend I'm afraid :(

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Toppiteh Poppiteh! :)

Nice Gibson yer man is playing.

The Reynolds Girls’ imperial phase begins :pac:

"Too Many Lonely Hearts" says Anthea

Anthea, you have one job here

Learn the name of the songs

WASP - A band that stings ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    WASP - A band that stings ;)
    Aha - it's only now I realise I've been thinking of them as a "Christian Rock"(?) band - wasps...stripes...Stryper :o:p

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/TOTPFacts/status/1225864729027137536

Here Comes A Digger looks like a winner

Better than tonight's Late Late Show line up

Advertisement