Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,660 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Didn’t know Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink had such a great voice.

‘Tarzan Boy’ by Baltimora.

*shudder*

Come back Opus, all is forgiven! :D

Tee hee...Damon Albarn’s bowl haircut in the ‘There’s No Other Way’ video.

Baggy :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I can't believe Bibi interviewed BB. Wow.

Just watched the Billy Fury documentary...pity poor Johnny Gentle, drawing the short straw when it came to tough rock ‘n’ roll stage names.

:D

• Advertisement

Good to see Imelda May too in full rockabilly mode, before RTÉ brainwashed her and injected her with misery p0rn :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,050 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Skid X wrote: »
    8.30pm Discovering Music - REM (Sky Arts)
    Documentary, charting the 30-year history of Georgia-formed US rock band REM, as recorded by MTV since the channel was launched back in 1981. Making use of archive interviews, performances and previously unused footage of Mike Stipe and company, the film explores how one of America's most popular musical exports developed alongside the `MTV generation'
    This one was fairly disappointing, just three UK journos yapping away in cliches.

This gob****e even managed to get one of their names wrong. It's Bill Berry btw.

https://twitter.com/Willjhodgkinson/status/928922789016424448

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭BandMember

This one was fairly disappointing, just three UK journos yapping away in cliches.

This gob****e even managed to get one of their names wrong. It's Bill Berry btw.

https://twitter.com/Willjhodgkinson/status/928922789016424448

Yeah, I thought it was going to be the "R.E.M. by MTV" documentary - now, THAT is well worth checking out.....

Foo-tastic stuff on Sky Arts right now :)

All hail Pat Smear! Not many people can lay claim to being a member of two highly influential bands (The Germs and Nirvana).

“But what about Peter Hook, Bernard Sumner and Stephen Morris?” - Welsh Megaman’s Inner Voice.

Quiet you!

*eye poke*

Ow. :(

‘Pretend We’re Dead’ by L7 - still sounds fantastic.

Even though they always remind me of Shona McGough from ‘Knowing Me, Knowing You with Alan Partridge’.

:D

• Advertisement

Here's something completely random - might be a good idea for a thread in some music forum- but posting here considering the audience and interest in all things retro-music.

I was perusing the chart hits of 1978. I thought I was quite familiar with that year and was looking at the top 100 songs of that year to see how many I'd identify instantly.

http://www.uk-charts.top-source.info/top-100-1978.shtml

Was familiar with most of these listed in the link above but about 12 of them weren't instantly recognisable by title- out of those, about 4 of them I didn't recognise once played (I had youtube open searching for the titles)

Anyway, came across this- I remember the title and song but I don't think I've heard it since 1978 so took me quite by surprise :D

So here it is.Bring back any memories for anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

I am loving Other Voices.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Here's something completely random - might be a good idea for a thread in some music forum- but posting here considering the audience and interest in all things retro-music.

I was perusing the chart hits of 1978. I thought I was quite familiar with that year and was looking at the top 100 songs of that year to see how many I'd identify instantly.

Was familiar with most of these listed in the link above but about 12 of them weren't instantly recognisable by title- out of those, about 4 of them I didn't recognise once played (I had youtube open searching for the titles)

Anyway, came across this- I remember the title and song but I don't think I've heard it since 1978 so took me quite by surprise :D

Heh, Nice one - I can't say I remember that one but I like the robot's part.

I think he collaborated with The Darkness on their should have been Christmas Number One Smash

Hello, Sky Arts have a bumper night of Fleetwood Mac on Saturday which was scheduled before the surprising news that Lindsey Buckingham has quit and had been replaced by Neil Finn of Crowded House. You can can keep up to date with all Fleetwood Mac transfer activity here http://ultimateclassicrock.com/fleetwood-mac-lineup-changes/ .
    No TOTP action on BBC4 this weekend, it will be back once the Young Musician Of The Year and the Commonwealth Games finish. Most of the other old reliables are present including another outing for thread favourite 'Joy Of The Guitar Riff' ...

Thursday
    7am A Tribute to James Horner: Hollywood in Vienna (Sky Arts)
    A 2013 concert honouring the Oscar-winning composer, with David Newman conducting an orchestra and choir in music from Titanic, Avatar, A Beautiful Mind and Braveheart

11am Trailblazers: Punk (Sky Arts)

4pm Trailblazers: Nuclear Protest Songs (Sky Arts)

5pm The Sixties - The British Invasion (Sky Arts)
    A look at how American culture was changed by the Beatles and the new wave of British bands and artists that followed

11.05pm Other Voices (RTE2)
    Music by Isaac Gracie, Hudson Taylor and Them There, with Le Boom in the Other Room. Presented by Annie Mac, Huw Stephens and May Kay

11.20pm Totally British 70s Rock and Roll (BBC4)
    A collection of archive performances by artists including Dr Feelgood, Ducks Deluxe, Elvis Costello, the Motors, Steve Gibbons Band, Dire Straits, Graham Parker and the Rumour, Eddie and the Hot Rods, Ace, Dave Edmunds and Nick Lowe from TV shows such as The Old Grey Whistle Test and Top of the Pops

12.20am Danny Baker's Great Album Showdown (BBC4)
    In a celebration of the analogue vinyl LP, the presenter and contributors choose their favourite records of yesteryear from different genres, beginning with rock. In the first edition, Danny is joined by broadcaster Jeremy Clarkson, former Smiths producer Stephen Street and writer Kate Mossman. As well as selecting their most-loved albums of the 1960s and 70s, they discuss how the LPs of those years were produced and enjoyed in comparison to their modern equivalents

Friday
    11am Trailblazers: Nuclear Protest Songs (Sky Arts)

12pm The Sixties - The British Invasion (Sky Arts)

4pm Trailblazers: Acid House (Sky Arts)

7pm Johnny Cash: Song by Song - Jackson (Sky Arts)
    The story behind the singer's duet with his wife June Carter on their version of Jackson, which tells the tale of a married couple looking to start afresh in a new town

7.30pm Dolly Parton: Song by Song - I Will Always Love You (Sky Arts)
    The singer discusses the success of the song I Will Always Love You, and why refusing to allow Elvis Presley the chance to cover it was one her best business moves

7.30pm Sounds Like Friday Night (BBC1)
    Featuring Lily Allen, Little Mix, Sam Smith, James Bay and 5Seconds of Summer

8pm Video Killed The Radio Star - Metallica (Sky Arts)
    Drummer Lars Ulrich and director Wayne Isham discuss the making of heavy metal band Metallica's most famous videos, including Enter Sandman, Nothing Else Matters and The Unforgiven

8.30pm Discovering Music - Foo Fighters (Sky Arts)
    Formed in 1994 in Seattle, Washington, the Foo Fighters have become one of the most successful alternative rock bands. With ex-Nirvana drummer Dave Grohl as their frontman, the group have won numerous Grammy Awards with their brand of post-grunge rock. This documentary traces their rise, from their self-titled debut album, consisting solely of Dave Grohl's solo recordings, to their sell-out tours, award-winning albums and near-break-ups

9pm & 2.30am Nat King Cole: Afraid Of The Dark (BBC4)
    A look into the private journals of the music legend, who overcame a period of racial segregation and prejudice in America to become one of the greatest jazz icons of all time. He was the only major black television star in Hollywood during his heyday - but, behind closed doors, those around him were thinking of a way to package him as a quasi white. A candid account of what really happened in and around his `fairy-tale' life is taken from his own written thoughts, interviews with his widow, Maria, and contributions by other family members and fellow musicians

10pm Foo Fighters - Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)
    The rock band perform for the US music programme, performing songs including Times Like These, The Feast and the Famine, Tuff Enuff and Best of You

10.30pm Joy Of The Guitar Riff (BBC4)
    Documentary exploring the impact of the guitar riff on popular music over the past 60 years, including a look at how it became the foundation on which rock 'n' roll was built. With stories from Brian May, Dave Davies, Hank Marvin, Joan Jett, Nile Rodgers, Tony Iommi, Robert Fripp, Johnny Marr and more. Narrated by Lauren Laverne
    Great show, also on Youtube in full

11.15pm Brian Johnson's A Life On The Road - Lars Ulrich (Sky Arts)
    Brian heads to San Rafael, California, to meet Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich, who shares candid stories from his band's Wherever We May Roam tour

11.30pm Rollermania: Britain's Biggest Boyband (BBC4)
    Members of the classic Bay City Rollers line-up, including Les McKeown, recall how they went from humble beginnings playing pubs and clubs across Scotland to achieving pop stardom in the 1970s. They also reveal the dark side that dogged the band behind the scenes, including their relationship with manager Tam Paxton, bankruptcy, legal battles and division between the band members. Featuring rarely seen archive footage from the era, plus contributions from the band's songwriters, producers and record company promoters

12.15am Classic Albums: Metallica - The Black Album (Sky Arts)
    Metallica members James Hetfield, Lars Ulrich, Kirk Hammett and Jason Newsted discuss the making of their 1991 self-titled LP, which became known among fans as the Black Album and included the hit singles Enter Sandman, The Unforgiven and Nothing Else Matters

12.30am The Windmill Lane Sessions (TG4)
    Music performances filmed at the Windmill Lane Recording Studios in Dublin, continuing with Mick Flannery, Monster, Monster and Fight Like Apes

12.30am Cilla at the BBC (BBC4)
    A compilation of memorable TV appearances by Cilla Black from the BBC archives. The much-missed performer began her presenting career in 1968 on the BBC, having already become one of Britain's most popular singers. The programme features her appearances on Not Only, But Also, The Ken Dodd Show, Top of the Pops and The Royal Variety Performance as well as her self-titled series, plus her famous 1973 duet with Marc Bolan

12.40am Other Voices (RTE2)
    As Thursday

1.15am Pearl Jam: Let's Play Two (Sky Arts)
    Documentary chronicling the American rock band's performances at Chicago's Wrigley Field during 2016, when the Chicago Cubs baseball team won their first World Series since 1908

1.30am Totally British 70s Rock and Roll (BBC4)
    As Thursday

1.40am Film: A Star Is Born (RTE2)
    A talented rock star's career begins to wind down as he drifts into cynicism and hits the bottle. However, an encounter with a promising singer proves inspirational and he helps nurture her career. But as she climbs the road to stardom, he goes into an even greater decline. Remake of the musical, starring Barbra Streisand, Kris Kristofferson, Paul Mazursky, Gary Busey and Marta Heflin

3.30am The Summer Of Love (Sky Arts)
    The story of the cultural, social and political changes that were brought about following the 1967 Summer of Love in San Francisco

Saturday
    Fleetwood Mac Evening on Sky Arts!

5pm Video Killed The Radio Star - Fleetwood Mac
    Mick Fleetwood discusses Fleetwood Mac's most famous music videos, including Big Love and Gypsy, and reveals how they affected his band's public profile and artistic direction

5.30pm & 2.45am Classic Albums - Rumours
    Fleetwood Mac reveal how private turmoil acted as a catalyst in the creation of Rumours, their Grammy-winning album from 1977 that went on to sell more than 19 million copies

6.45pm Fleetwood Mac Live in Boston (Part1)
    7.45pm Fleetwood Mac Live in Boston (Part2)

Mick Fleetwood, John McVie, Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks play hits from throughout their career in a concert from 2004 as part of the band's Say You Will tour

9pm Peter Green - Man Of The World New!
    Legendary blues guitarist BB King named Peter Green as one of the greatest exponents of the blues, and the 'only guitar player to make me sweat'. If Green had only written Black Magic Woman, his name would still have a place in blues rock history forever.
    His three short years leading Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac saw the band established as one of the biggest-selling groups of the 1960s. Yet at the height of their fame Green left the group, with his life spiralling into turmoil as drug-induced mental health issues took control. Rumours of his demise began to spread, and sightings of him became notorious.
    After years battling his mental illness, Green is writing and recording again. Featuring archive performances and interviews with Carlos Santana, Noel Gallagher, founding members of Fleetwood Mac and Green himself, this film tells the story of one of blues rock's living legends.
    (Previously show on BBC4 in 2012)

Others on Saturday

7pm-9pm TOTP2 80s Special (Yesterday)
    Including music by Adam Ant, Kylie Minogue and Jason Donovan, Bucks Fizz, Yazz, Duran Duran, Wham! and Culture Club

9pm TOTP2 The 60s (Part1) (Yesterday)
    Mark Radcliffe narrates the first of three special editions of the archive music show focusing on 1960s hits, beginning with tracks by artists including The Foundations, Julie Driscoll, Sandie Shaw and Procol Harum

9.40pm TOTP2 The 60s (Part2) (Yesterday)
    Another selection of performances from the archives, focusing on hits of the 1960s. Featured artists include Clodagh Rodgers, the Move, Tom Jones and the Bee Gees, plus more from Top of the Pops and other shows from the era. Narrated by Mark Radcliffe

9.45pm Opry An Iuir (TG4)
    Daniel O'Donnell returns with the Irish-language country music show, beginning with `Opry with the Stars', featuring music by Sandy Kelly, Brendan Quinn, Gloria, Ray Lynam and Frank McCaffrey

10.20pm TOTP2 The 60s (Part3) (Yesterday)
    Another selection of performances from the archive, focusing on hits of the 1960s. The programme features Lulu, the Kinks, the Walker Brothers and Don Partridge

11.30pm Rock and Roll (Sky Arts) New!
    Ep1/10 Death Documentary drawing on concert films, fly-on-the-wall tour chronicles and archive interviews to chart the history of rock 'n' roll, beginning with the subject of death
    https://www.sky.com/watch/title/series/5094bcb6-8820-4dac-9595-a511ec8927d8/rock-and-roll/episodes/season-1/episode-1

Sunday
    6.10pm The Sixties - The British Invasion (Sky Arts)
    Sky Arts are getting good mileage out of this one this week

9pm Radiohead: Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)
    The band perform at the 2016 festival in Texas, playing songs including Street Spirit (Fade Out) and Karma Police

10pm Transatlantic Sessions - Togha agus Rogha (TG4)
    Featuring performances by guest artists Julie Fowlis, Tim O'Brien, Joan Osborne, Donal Lunny, Darrell Scott and Bruce Molsky

12.15am & 2.40am Brian Pern (GOLD)
    S2 Ep 1/3 Spoof documentary about the former frontman of a progressive rock group, last seen presenting a history of music in BBC Four's The Life of Rock. In the opening episode, Brian and his Thotch bandmates reunite to discuss the making of a musical based on their songs, but it is not easy as they hate each other. Not only that, on the opening night of Stowe Boys, Brian is unexpectedly arrested by officers from Operation Bad Apples for a crime he doesn't know he has committed. Will he make the second half of the show? Written by Rhys Thomas and Simon Day, who also stars as Pern, with Michael Kitchen, Paul Whitehouse and Nigel Havers

2.30am Video Killed The Radio Star - Fleetwood Mac (Sky Arts)

And that is more or less that, as always do let us know if you have spotted anything else of interest.

The Best reworking of the classic Danger Mouse theme in another language this week might be on Donnie Murdo which begins a new run on BBC Alba (Saturday, 6.40pm) A rare chance to hear what Danger Mouse sounds like in Scottish Gaelic!

WAR PIGS! :cool:

Oh Lord, yeah!

Radiohead live on Sky Arts right now :)

‘There There’ - great song.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

I watched a bit of Fleetwood Mac (live) last night. May well have been on before. Is it just me or did anyone else find the LB guitar solo's, well eh...a bit eh...'interesting' to put it mildly ?

awaits confirmation that ears are not totally fkd

I stumbled on a nice interview between Cerys Matthews and Finbar Furey on the BBC World Service Radio yesterday, you can stream it back for the next 29 days.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/w3cswhcj

Nice to see the World Service giving Irish music some coverage. I remember when A Nation Once Again by the Wolfe Tones was voted the World's Favourite song by World Service Listeners, there was definitely no organised campaign going on to rig the vote!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/2591357.stm
    An Irish republican song, A Nation Once Again, has been voted the world's top tune according to a BBC World Service poll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

The folks on TV Forum are discussing the Pops repeats too - albeit paying more attention to the presentation and production aspects, including graphics and edits, than they are to the performances.

I myself contribute to this discussion from time to time, as DE88... :o:D:);)

https://tvforum.uk/tvhome/top-of-the-pops-43317/

Anyway, the 11 July '85 episode got them pretty excited, as BBC4 left in the reminders of a big concert that took place at the old Wembley Stadium and Philadelphia two days later... :D;)

1521836725_2115437632.png

They also couldn't help but notice a poorly-recreated presenter caption at the start of the 25 July episode, after the opening link had been edited to remove Gary Davies' comment about Dixie Peach "having a better suntan than me" - itself a rather bizarre move, as the comment was shown in the Story of 1985 (along, obviously, with the original presenter caption) and both Gary and Dixie seemed quite happy to talk about it...

1522352014_2059431602.png

• Advertisement

Hello, BBC Four goes with a Cuban/Latin Music theme this weekend so that'll be the Buena Vista Social Club and a few similar shows. Sky Arts has news for Nick Cave fans and also features Pink Floyd, as they do most weekends. Whoever picked the lineup for the Queen's Birthday concert seems to think she's into Craig David ...

Wednesday Night
    11.05pm Joan Baez - How Sweet The Sound (Sky Arts)
    Documentary celebrating the singer-songwriter's career, with contributions by David Crosby, Steve Earle and Bob Dylan, as well as Baez herself

12.05am Live From Abbey Road Classics (Channel 4)
    Looking back at live performances recorded for the music show, featuring tracks by Gipsy Kings and Dr John

1am Top Of The Pops 1983 (BBC4)
    Peter Powell and Pat Sharp introduce performances by Big Country, Hot Chocolate, the Police, New Edition and Forrest

1.25am Top Of The Pops 1983 (BBC4)
    John Peel and Kid Jensen present music from June 8, featuring Twisted Sister, the Imposter - aka Elvis Costello - Shakatak, Big Country and the Police

2.30am Peter Green: Man Of The World (Sky Arts)
    The story of the blues performer, who found fame in the 1960s as lead guitarist with Fleetwood Mac, but left the public stage for years as he battled drug addiction and mental illness. Featuring archive footage and interviews with Noel Gallagher, Carlos Santana, Green's former bandmates and the musician himself

Thursday
    11am Trailblazers - Electronic Music (Sky Arts)

12pm The Sixties (Sex, Drugs and Rock n Roll) (Sky Arts)
    A look at America's changing morality during the decade, from attitudes towards sex and the use of drugs to a newfound expressiveness through music

4pm Trailblazers - Madchester (Sky Arts)

7pm Scannál - The Miami Showband Massacare (RTE1)
    The July 1975 attack on the popular cabaret act the Miami Showband, in which three members - Fran O'Toole, Brian McCoy and Tony Geraghty - were shot dead

7pm Phil Collins - Going Back To Detroit (Sky Arts)
    The singer explores the roots and legacy of Detroit's unique music scene in the 1960s and 70s, as he joins the Funk Brothers to record an album of his favourite Motown hits

7.30pm & 12.20am Top Of The Pops 1985 - August 22nd (BBC4)
    Steve Wright and Gary Davies present the edition from August 22, including music by the Cars, Baltimora, Kate Bush, Princess and Madonna https://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesid=78332&seasonid=655748&id=5857985&lid=7

9pm & 11.30pm Urban Myths - Backstage At Live Aid (Sky Arts)
    Neil Forsyth's comic reimagning of the events among the superstars and crew milling around the green room at the Live Aid concerts in 1985. Jonas Armstrong and Martin Compston star [All Episodes of this now available to stream for Sky Subscribers]
    https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/urban_myths_backstage_at_live_aid/

9.30pm The Music Videos That Shaped The 80s (Sky Arts)
    A look at how the introduction of music videos in the 1980s affected the industry, with contributions by Bob Geldof, Herbie Hancock, Roger Taylor and Richie Sambora, and directors David Mallet, Russell Mulcahy and Kevin Godley

10.30pm Discovering Music - Elton John (Sky Arts)
    Friends, fans and fellow musicians reflect on Elton John's career, exploring his greatest hits, as well as his work on The Lion King and Billy Elliot

11.20pm Totally British 70s Rock n Roll (Sky Arts)
    Part one of two. A collection of archive performances by artists including David Bowie, Free, Status Quo, Mott the Hoople, the Faces, The Sensational Alex Harvey Band, Humble Pie, Man, Babe Ruth and Thin Lizzy from TV shows such as The Old Grey Whistle Test and Top of the Pops

11.35pm Other Voices (RTE2)
    Music by Saint Sister, Charlie Cunningham, Jafaris, Soule, Bitch Falcon, Stephen James Smith, Tom Adams and Talos. Presented by Annie Mac, Huw Stephens and May

12.50am Danny Baker's Great Album Showdown (BBC4)
    Ep 2/3 Pop Singer Boy George, writer Grace Dent and journalist David Hepworth join Danny to celebrate the golden age of the vinyl LP. They also explore their favourite pop albums and discuss the production of the 1960s and 70s records, comparing how enthusiasts from the analogue generation compare to today's music-lovers

Friday
    11am Trailblazers - Madchester (Sky Arts)

4pm Trailblazers - Goth Rock (Sky Arts)

7pm Johnny Cash Song By Song: A Boy Named Sue (Sky Arts)

7.30pm Dolly Parton Song By Song: It's All Wrong, But It's All Right (Sky Arts)

7.30pm Sounds Like Friday Night (BBC1)
    Radio 1 presenter Greg James with Radio 1 Xtra's DJ Dotty host a lively mix of entertainment direct from the now refurbished BBC Television Centre in White City. This edition features British rock band the Vaccines and the winner of the 2018 Brit Critics' Choice Award, Jorja Smith

8pm Video Killed The Radio Star - Bjork (Sky Arts)

8.30pm Discovering Music - Radiohead (Sky Arts)

9pm Film: Buena Vista Social Club (BBC4)
    Wim Wenders' superb Oscar-nominated documentary charts legendary guitarist Ry Cooder's 1996 visit to Cuba to meet some of the country's finest musicians, with a view to organising a once-in-a-lifetime concert at Carnegie Hall. There's a chance to see the veteran entertainers talking about their philosophies on the music industry, singing and performing in their home towns and chatting to their friends and peers, as well as talking to Wenders himself

10pm Radiohead: Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)
    The band perform at the 2016 festival in Texas, playing songs including Street Spirit (Fade Out) and Karma Police

10.40pm Latin Music USA (East Side Story) (BBC4)
    Documentary exploring the genre's influence on America's social and musical landscapes, and its effects on the immigrants working in the country. The programme begins by examining the impact made by Carlos Santana at the Woodstock Festival in 1969, which helped take the Latin sound to a mainstream audience. The guitarist also describes how Afro-Cuban rhythms shaped the way he played

10.40pm The Windmill Lane Sessions (TG4)
    Music performances filmed at the Windmill Lane Recording Studios in Dublin, continuing with Sharon Corr, the Pale and Declan Sinnott

11.15pm Brian Johnson's A Life On The Road - Nick Mason (Sky Arts)
    Pink Floyd drummer Nick Mason gives Brian a tour of his car collection in the Cotswolds and reveals the secrets behind his band's elaborate live shows

11.40pm & 2.45am Arena: My Name is Celia Cruz (BBC4)
    Queen of salsa Celia Cruz was an adored and dynamic singer in Latin America for more than four decades. After she left Cuba at the time of the 1959 revolution with her band Sonora Matancera, she lived in New York and rose to international fame with the legendary Latin bands of Tito Puente and Johnny Pacheco, the creators of salsa. This profile, first aired in February 1988, includes testimony from friends, fans, fellow professionals and a memorable performance at New York's Apollo Theatre

11.55am Other Voices (RTE2)
    Music by Saint Sister, Charlie Cunningham, Jafaris, Soule, Bitch Falcon, Stephen James Smith, Tom Adams and Talos. Presented by Annie Mac, Huw Stephens and May Kay

12.15am Pink Floyd Live At Pompeii 1972(Sky Arts)
    A 1972 concert in which David Gilmour, Nick Mason, Roger Waters and Richard Wright perform hits including Echoes and A Saucerful of Secrets amid the empty ruins of Pompeii's Ancient Roman amphitheatre

12.45am Queens of Jazz - The Joy and Pain Of The Jazz Divas (BBC4)
    Celebrating the achievements of five female jazz singers of the 20th century - Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, Peggy Lee, Sarah Vaughan and Nina Simone. The film examines how these artists managed to triumph against the odds at a turbulent time in America's social history. With contributions by singers including Annie Ross, Lisa Stansfield, Melody Gardot and Gregory Porter and critics such as Gary Giddins, Dave Gelly and Alvin Hall

1.30am Rock and Roll: Death (Sky Arts)
    Documentary drawing on concert films, fly-on-the-wall tour chronicles and archive interviews to chart the history of rock 'n' roll, beginning with the subject of death
    https://www.sky.com/watch/title/series/5094bcb6-8820-4dac-9595-a511ec8927d8

1.45am Barry Manilow at the BBC (BBC4)
    Archive performances from throughout the singer-songwriter's career, featuring hits including Mandy, Copacabana and Could It Be Magic. The programme also features clips from Top of the Pops and Parkinson, as well as highlights of Manilow's 1983 open-air concert at Blenheim Palace in Oxfordshire

Saturday
    3pm The Sixties: Sex, Drugs and Rock and Roll (Sky Arts)
    A look at America's changing morality during the decade, from attitudes towards sex and the use of drugs to a newfound expressiveness through music

7pm Film: Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man (Sky Arts)
    Documentary about the life and career of the Canadian singer-songwriter, who details the intricacies of his distinctive brand of music, and his unique outlook on life. Archive footage and photographs from Cohen's private collection illustrate high points from his career, and there are performances of his songs by artists including Nick Cave, Jarvis Cocker, the Handsome Family, Beth Orton, Rufus Wainwright and Martha Wainwright at a 2005 tribute concert in Sydney

7.10pm TOTP2 - Donna Summer (Yesterday)
    Mark Radcliffe introduces an archive tribute to Donna Summer, including hits such as I Feel Love and No More Tears (Enough Is Enough), and featuring her first appearance on the show in 1977

7.55pm TOTP2 - Duran Duran (Yesterday)
    Broadcaster and DJ Mark Radcliffe introduces the most memorable performances by Duran Duran on long-running music programme Top of the Pops, featuring Girls on Film, My Own Way, Hungry Like the Wolf, Rio, Is There Something I Should Know?, The Reflex, Wild Boys and Notorious

8pm The Queen's Birthday Party (BBC1) New!
    A concert in celebration of Her Majesty The Queen's 92nd birthday, live from the Royal Albert Hall, featuring performances from acts from across the world and stars from around the Commonwealth. Tom Jones, Kylie Minogue, Craig David, Anne Marie, Shawn Mendes, Ladysmith Black Mambazo and Sting & Shaggy are among those taking part. Alfie Boe celebrates the sound of Benny Goodman and the swing era, and there is a celebration of the music of the ukulele maestro George Formby, featuring 40 players from the George Formby Society

8.35pm TOTP2 - Wham! (Yesterday)
    Mark Radcliffe narrates a selection of Top of the Pops performances by George Michael and Andrew Ridgeley's duo, featuring Young Guns (Go For It!), Wham Rap! (Enjoy What You Do), Bad Boys, Club Tropicana, Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go, Freedom, Everything She Wants and Edge of Heaven

9pm Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Once More With Feeling (Sky Arts)
    Documentary chronicling the recording of the band's album Skeleton Tree, exploring the deeply personal circumstances surrounding the making of it

9.15pm TOTP2 - Pop Stars (Yesterday)
    A selection of archive performances by some of the most popular solo artists to have appeared on the show, including songs by Cliff Richard, Madonna, Marc Bolan, David Cassidy, Justin Bieber, Rihanna and other well-received pop pin-ups

10.15pm Stiff at the BBC (Yesterday)
    Conclusion of a two-part documentary featuring Top of the Pops appearances by artists associated with Stiff Records, including Madness, Ian Dury, the Pogues, Lene Lovich and Jona Lewie
    ** They don't appear to be showing Part 1, strangely.
    Part 1 is on Youtube, I don't think Part 2 is

11.15pm Rock and Roll - Pain (Sky Arts)
    A look at how heartache has had a pervasive presence in rock n' roll, from the lonesome world of Hank Williams to the soulful virtuosity of Donny Hathaway

12.45am Prince: Sign O The Times (Sky Arts)
    Concert film by the musician featuring highlights from gigs in Rotterdam and Antwerp on his 1987 European tour, as well as footage shot at his Paisley Park studio in Minnesota. Including performances of Sign o' the Times, I Could Never Take the Place of Your Man and If I Was Your Girlfriend, and the promo video for U Got the Look, featuring Sheena Easton
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oeir7QPYnBU

Sunday
    10pm Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds: Austin City Limits (Sky Arts) New!
    The band perform at Austin City Limits, Texas, in an exhilarating career-spanning set

10pm Transatlantic Sessions - Togha agus Rogha (TG4)
    Collaborations between American and Irish musicians, featuring Teddy Thompson, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Aoife O'Donovan, Julie Fowlis and Karen Matheson. Last in the series

11.15pm Urban Myths: Backstage At Live Aid (Sky Arts)
    As Thursday

11.30pm Latin Music USA (East Side Story) (BBC4)
    As Friday

11.45pm The Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert (Sky Arts)
    The 1992 concert at Wembley Stadium in honour of the Queen frontman, which featured performances by David Bowie, Elton John, Annie Lennox, Axl Rose, Roger Daltrey, Liza Minnelli, Robert Plant, Seal, Slash and George Michael. Featuring rehearsal footage and interviews with Queen members Brian May, Roger Taylor and John Deacon

1.20am Brian Pern (GOLD)
    S2 Ep 2/3 Brian Pern: A Life In Rock To mark the very convoluted anniversary of the non-release of his unheard debut solo LP Brian Pern's Musical Version of The Day of the Triffids, the musician plans to stage the entire album live from the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro with a host of special guests. The groundbreaking show not only reveals the technical challenges of performing live music, but also the physical strains facing the ageing rock stars of Brian's generation. Spoof music documentary, starring Simon Day, Michael Kitchen, Paul Whitehouse and Nigel Havers, with cameo appearances by Roger Moore, Dan Snow and Tim Rice

... and that's more or less that. Hopefully there's something in it you might like. Not a lot of new shows recently, hopefully there will be more soon.

The Best Stand Up Comedy Show title inspired by a KC and The Sunshine Band Song of the week is a hotly contested category, as usual, but my vote goes to That's The Way - A-ha, A-ha, Joe Lycett [BBC Sunday 11.20pm BBC2]

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Are you effing kidding me? They go all Buena Vista when I've sh*t to do on Sat?

Grrrrrr.

Best thing ever, Buena Vista.

Cult Jam, my favourite...second only to Pearl.

Baltimora.

*shudder*

And so begins the Stock Aitken Waterman era.

:(

Bizarrely, the robot from that song might have been singing solo on tonight's TOTP! (Tarzan Boy by Baltimora)

https://twitter.com/TOTPFacts/status/987037346485989376

• Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

‘Running up that Hill’ sounding as new as it did in 1985. She’s just so far ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

To be honest, I thought I might enjoy the bits between the music more then the actual music in Buena Vista Social Club, but have to say, it's just great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

I see Brendan O’Connor is a big fan of the old Top of the Pops! In today’s indo Living magazine (page 4) discussing Nick Kershaw and Charlene’s hit “I’ve been to paradise”. Worth a read if you have the indo.

• Advertisement

Nick Cave live right now on Sky Arts :)

Advertisement