Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,940 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Jesus Christ.

That is so bad (and not "bad" in the sense of being good)

Fcuk me, people actually paid money to buy that?

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I know it sounds corny but, I'm robbing that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Bloody Beeb 4 – got caught up in the guitar doc (possibly not for the first time – can’t remember) :pac:, and now must avoid being sucked into the showband one :eek: and go to bed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Cant wait for Miles Davis, also and this is only a Fleetwood Mac right now but there's been some chatter about Sky Arts going FTA which would be a boon for us Freesat/Linux Box types.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,010 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

D'you know if push came to shove I'd nearly trade a huge chunk of Fleetwood Mac for Stevie and Tom Petty, keeping the old stuff like Albatross of course.

I'm with you. Don't forget their best one;

Nice tribute to Tom with a photo montage at their RDS show last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,655 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Oh god, Bez is on ‘Celebrity Mastermind’ :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

sligojoek wrote: »
    I know it sounds corny but, I'm robbing that

This could get redone as "I Know Corona"

News breaking that Genesis P-Orridge of Throbbing Gristle/Psychic TV has died at 70. :(

RIP

https://pitchfork.com/news/genesis-breyer-p-orridge-dead-at-70/amp/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Saw a bit of the RTE Music Choice Music Prize last night, and don't think I had heard of the (album) winners before. Just having a play now of the full video snippeted on the show - Wehayyy, this ain't yer parents' Wild Rover :) For anyone else not previously familiar, I recommend letting it play to the end...'shrooms optional

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Hello, news this week of new Ready Steady Go! Doc and compilation on BBC4. This is all new as the rights to that 60s TOTP competitor were previously held by Dave Clark of the Dave Clark 5 who likes to think he was the only thing that mattered back then. Anyway, those rights have been wrestled away from him so there should be some new old stuff to see ...

Thursday
    6am BBC 6Music Festival (BBC Red Button, Repeated on loop for most of the weekend)

10pm BBC Proms 2017 – John Williams (BBC4)
    The BBC Concert Orchestra, under conductor Keith Lockhart, performs some of the best-loved music in cinema history, including movie magic from Star Wars, Harry Potter, ET and Indiana Jones as well as lesser-known gems from Williams' back catalogue

11.30pm Other Voices (RTE2)
    Featuring Talos, Le Boom, Sorcha Richardson, All Tvvins, Pillow Queens and Otherkin

Midnight Joni Mitchell 75 – A Birthday Celebration (Sky Arts)

Friday
    1pm South Bank Show Originals – Pet Shop Boys (Sky Arts)
    From 1992

7pm REM Road Movie (Sky Arts)
    Michael Stipe and the band perform at Atlanta's Omni Stadium in 1995. Songs featured include Orange Crush, Losing My Religion and What's the Frequency, Kenneth?

7.30pm Top Of The Pops 1989 – May 18 (BBC4)
    Mark Goodier and Anthea Turner host the edition first shown on May 18, featuring performances by Shakin' Stevens, Deacon Blue and Neneh Cherry

8pm Top Of The Pops 1989 – May 25 (BBC4)
    Simon Mayo hosts the edition first shown on May 25, featuring performances by Lynne Hamilton, Donna Summer and Edelweiss

8.30pm Fleadh Cheoil (RTE1)
    John Creedon and Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh join the 500,000 visitors to Drogheda in a show featuring music from Kevin Burke, Moya Brennan, Cormac de Barra, John McCartin, Dylan Carlos and Céin Sweeney

8.30pm Sounds Of The Sixties (BBC4)
    including music by performers as diverse as Sandie Shaw, Dusty Springfield, Long John Baldry, Lulu, Tom Jones, Brenton Wood, Cliff Richard, Cilla Black and Peter Sarstedt

9pm Super Duper Alice Cooper (Sky Arts)
    Documentary about the rock singer, featuring contributions by fellow musicians Elton John and Iggy Pop and lyricist Bernie Taupin

9pm & 2am The Story Of Ready Steady Go! (BBC4) New!
    Documentary recalling Britain's early 1960s music show Ready Steady Go!, which revolutionised television 'for the kids' and introduced emerging talent from the era. The ITV programme, synonymous with its hosts Keith Fordyce and Cathy McGowan, showcased top acts of the day including the Beatles, the Who, Sandie Shaw, Cilla Black, Otis Redding and the Rolling Stones. Contributors include original producer Vicki Wickham and pioneering director Michael Lindsay-Hogg, plus Annie Nightingale, Eric Burdon, Chris Farlowe, Mary Wilson, Martha Reeves, Paul Jones, Gerry Marsden and Jools Holland
    Favourable preview of it here on an audio podcast ‘bigmouth’ from 7 mins 7 secs in, lasts about 10 minutes https://player.fm/series/bigmouth/ready-steady-go-on-bbc4-color-out-of-space-nigel-godrichs-ultraista

10pm & 3am The Best Of Ready Steady Go! (BBC4) New!
    Clips from the ITV pop show, which began in 1963 and ran until the end of 1966. The Beatles perform Twist and Shout on a moving stage, the Rolling Stones present their very own episode, while Otis Redding duets with Chris Farlowe and Eric Burdon. Other acts appearing include Cilla Black, Lulu, Martha and the Vandellas and Dusty Springfield

10.40pm Black Sabbath – The End Of The End (Sky Arts)
    Their final ever gig from Birmingham in 2017

11pm Roy Orbison – One Of The Lonely Ones (BBC4)
    Biography of the singer and musician, casting new light on the triumphs and tragedies that beset his career, featuring performances and home movies, and providing an insight into Orbison's remote Texas childhood and his battles to get his voice heard. This film reveals how his rollercoaster life was often reflected in the dark lyrics of his songs, from success to rejection, and rediscovery in the 1980s with the Travelling Wilburys supergroup. Featuring interviews with Jeff Lynne, T Bone Burnett, Bobby Goldsboro and Marianne Faithfull

11.35pm Other Voices (RTE2)
    As Thursday

Midnight Irish Rock At The BBC (BBC4)
    A compilation of Irish rock performances from the early 1970s onwards, with acts including Thin Lizzy, Ash, the Undertones, Stiff Little Fingers, U2, Sinead O'Connor, the Pogues, Imelda May, The Strypes, Hozier and the Divine Comedy. The programme features clips from a variety of BBC shows, including the Old Grey Whistle Test, Top of the Pops, and Later with Jools Holland

12.40am U2 Experience – Live In Berlin (Sky Arts)

1am Hits Hype And Hustle – An Insiders Guide To The Music Business (BBC4)
    Music promoter John Giddings tells the story of how live performance has become a billion-pound industry. Contributors include Phil Collins, Stewart Copeland, Mel C and Alex James

2.10am Duran Duran – A Diamond In The Mind (Sky Arts)
    2011 gig

Saturday
    5pm-8pm Classic Artists – The Moody Blues (Sky Arts)
    The story of the English rock band from the 1960s to the present day, with contributions by members of the group and musicians including Ian Anderson, Eric Burdon and Bev Bevan

7pm The Rolling Stones At The BBC (Yesterday)

8pm Tom Jones At The BBC (Yesterday)

8pm Deep Purple Night on Sky Arts!
    8pm Classic Albums: Deep Purple – Machine Head (Sky Arts)
    9pm-10.30pm Deep Purple – From Here To Infinity (Sky Arts)
    Doc
    10.30pm-1am Deep Purple – Perfect Strangers (Sky Arts)
    1984 Melbourne Gig from their Reunion tour

11pm Your Cheatin’ Heart (BBC Scotland)
    Repeat of the 80s BBC Scotland Country Drama thing

Midnight Top Of The Pops 1989 – May 18 (BBC4)
    12.30am Top Of The Pops 1989 – May 25 (BBC4)

1am Our Music History – Disco (BBC4)
    Martyn Ware and Ana Matronic have a chat about Disco videos

1am Emerson Lake And Palmer Live At The Isle Of Wight 1970 (Sky Arts)

1am Film The Commitments (VM2)

2.25 Paul Carrack - The Long Detour (Sky Arts)

Sunday
    7pm Queen Night On Sky Arts!
    7pm Queen Rock Montreal (Sky Arts)
    1981 Gig
    9pm Queen – The Magic Years (Sky Arts)
    Doc
    10.15pm Queen Live At The Rainbow (Sky Arts)
    1974 Gig

9.30pm Transatlantic Sessions – Rogha Agus Togha (TG4)
    Collaborations between American and Irish traditional musicians, including Emmylou Harris, Iris DeMent, Mary Black, Kate and Anna McGarrigle, and Rufus Wainwright

10pm World Stage – Green Day (MTV)
    Hour long gig from Seville

11pm BBC Proms 2010 – Stephen Sondheim Concert (BBC4)

Midnight Super Dooper Alice Cooper (Sky Arts)

1.05am Discovery Concerts – Benjamin Britten (BBC4)

That's more or less that. Schedules are subject to change, obviously although there shouldn't be much disruption to the BBC4 or Sky Arts schedules as they don't have anything lined up remotely new

Anyway, the Best retelling of the Johnny Cash and Kris Kristofferson meeting featuring the guy from Jackass told by some Drunk might be in Drunk History USA (Friday Night / Saturday Morning 3.40am Comedy Central Extra)

Floopityfloppitytoppity!

Shaky - The Welsh Elvis! :pac:

Play PiL!

:mad:

Loving ‘the look’ of Roxette’s invisible drummer.

Sam Brown had a second hit?

:confused:

S T E F A N

D E N N I S

DUNNAMEKKAFEELGUD!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,955 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

S T E F A N

D E N N I S

DUNNAMEKKAFEELGUD!
    It's ****ing brutal. My ears! My ears!

Bring me Anal Vice?

:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,899 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I thought Robert Palmer only had that one song addict to love

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I thought Robert Palmer only had that one song addict to love

Needs big speakers for the bass. Was shocked when I found it was one of his.

I'm going to be on a Robert Palmer buzz for the next week

I can't think of any other UK Number One hits for which Bill Shankly appears in the video

His vocals are sampled in the Anfield Rap, but that only got to Number 3

Even though I was born in the 90s I always find songs from the 50s and 60s instantly recognizable for some reason

Feels like BBC Four is cheating on TOTP here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭dasdog

I dunno what it is about Eric Burdon but someone should have a word with him about wearing sunglasses while speaking Geordie.

Tonight I have been mostly watching duets from Tom Jones's old ATV/ABC shows and I have no regrets whatsoever

Sky Arts or BBC Four need to show compilations of these

Ah so that's where Prince got his mid 80s look ;) (after the ill-received 'dirty mac and fishnets' phase)

Nicole! Papa! (1 point if you get the ad, 10 points if you get the joke)

• Advertisement

Advertisement