Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I thought Robert Palmer only had that one song addict to love

On reflection he was actually quite underrated.
    He had a lot of good songs as a solo artist and the Powerstation album was very good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭dasdog

A big but under the radar name that died two weeks ago was McCoy Tyner (aged 81) who was one of the greatest piano players of the last century and there will be documentaries made about him. I'm sure in third level education he is already on the curriculum.

His most famous work was probably with John Coltrane whom he collaborated and improvised with for six years. He's playing piano on "Resolution" from "A Love Supreme" here aged 26.

@Bandmember:

I'm sure you remember "Celtic Dave" from the forum on PRS. Sadly his death took place last Sat night/Sun morning. A top bloke and a great friend. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

dasdog wrote: »
    A big but under the radar name that died two weeks ago was McCoy Tyner (aged 81) who was one of the greatest piano players of the last century and there will be documentaries made about him. I'm sure in third level education he is already on the curriculum.

His most famous work was probably with John Coltrane whom he collaborated and improvised with for six years. He's playing piano on "Resolution" from "A Love Supreme" here aged 26.

Yeah saw that. Saw him in the Blue Note in NYC about 5 years ago, a legend in the Big Apple

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

In that Ready Steady Go! Doc last night they interviewed Melanie Coe, who won a Miming competition on the show judged by Paul McCartney

... which was nice, but they skipped over the fact that Paul later wrote She's Leaving Home about her, after reading about her disappearance in the Daily Mail (although he apparently wasn't aware he had met her previously)

Maybe they are keeping that for another Doc or something

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/beatles-sgt-pepper-at-50-meet-the-runaway-who-inspired-shes-leaving-home-124697/

Skid X wrote: »
    Tonight I have been mostly watching duets from Tom Jones's old ATV/ABC shows and I have no regrets whatsoever

Sky Arts or BBC Four need to show compilations of these

Doc: You have Tom Jones syndrome

Skid Wow !! Is that rare?

Doc: It's not unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,655 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Just watched the ‘Ready Steady Go’ documentary - highly recommended :)

To have not only James Brown perform, but The Supremes AND Otis Redding singing with Eric Burdon and Chris Farlowe :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭BandMember

sligojoek wrote: »
    @Bandmember:

I'm sure you remember "Celtic Dave" from the forum on PRS. Sadly his death took place last Sat night/Sun morning. A top bloke and a great friend. RIP

Jayz that's shocking news!! He was a young man too.... One of the soundest lads you could met, always good for a tip on the nags, could chat about anything and baffle you with some of his comments and thoughts as you wouldn't have thought of that opinion yourself..... I'm genuinely sorry to hear that. I'll give you a shout privately later via mail or phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

On reflection he was actually quite underrated.
    He had a lot of good songs as a solo artist and the Powerstation album was very good too.

Tbh and yes I know it was 'acceptable in the 80s' but that whole Addicted To Love video sleazy image didn't really do him any good at all.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement

BandMember wrote: »
    Jayz that's shocking news!! He was a young man too.... One of the soundest lads you could met, always good for a tip on the nags, could chat about anything and baffle you with some of his comments and thoughts as you wouldn't have thought of that opinion yourself..... I'm genuinely sorry to hear that. I'll give you a shout privately later via mail or phone.

35 I think.

About 10 yrs ago I had to hire a car at short notice to take a pre-planned "Trip to Tipp". My own car sprung a leak at the last minute. About 10 miles before I got to Boyle, Dave rang me with a tip and said "Put your house on it. If It doesn't win I'll cover it " There was 20 minutes so I floored it and went into the first bookies I came to. Put on a hundred that I really couldn't afford and within 15 minutes I left with nearly three and a half grand.

Gimme a shout any night during the week. I'm going nowhere.

Sorry for going off topic folks. I hadn't BM's contact details to hand earlier.

Hello, the schedules still have plenty music stuff this weekend. A new thing about a recording studio and a repeat of an excellent Beatles Doc on BBC4. Sky has Eric and Elvis. And Chuck ...

Thursday
    1pm South Bank Show Originals – Eric Clapton (Sky Arts)
    From 1987 and 2007

1.55pm Paul Carrack – The Long Detour (Sky Arts)
    Gig

9pm Celtic Connections (TG4)
    Featuring Robert Robertson, Altan and others

10pm BBC Arts NI Presents (BBC2 NI)
    Music from Jordan Adetunji, JC Stewart, Wild Youth, New Pagans and Dena Anuksa

11.30pm Other Voices (RTE2)
    Editors make their Other Voices debut playing stripped-down versions of songs from across their extensive catalogue. Rapper Jafaris, Australian singer Angie McMahon and vocalist Anna Mieke also perform

1.30am Emerson Lake And Palmer Live At The Isle Of Wight (Sky Arts)

Friday
    7pm Johnny Cash – Behind Prison Walls (Sky Arts)
    1977 From Tennessee Prison

7.30pm Top Of The Pops 1989 – June 1 (BBC4)
    Anthea Turner and Gary Davies host the edition first shown on June 1, featuring performances by Sinitta, Fuzzbox and Neneh Cherry

8pm Kings Of Soul (BBC4)
    Featuring footage of Brenton Wood performing Gimme Little Sign and Curtis Mayfield singing Keep On Keeping On, as well as appearances by Billy Preston, Bill Withers, Billy Ocean, Alexander O'Neal, Bobby Womack and Barry White

8pm Carl Perkins And Friends (Sky Arts)
    The rockabilly legend is joined by fellow artists Eric Clapton, Ringo Starr and more for special concert recorded in London in 1985

8.30pm Fleadh Cheoil (RTE1)

9pm Top Of The Pops 1989 – June 8 (BBC4)
    Nicky Campbell hosts the edition first shown on June 8, featuring performances by the Beautiful South, Guns N' Roses and Jason Donovan

9pm Chuck Berry – The King Of Rock And Roll (Sky Arts)
    Documentary about the legendary musician, who died in 2017 at the age of 90. Contributors include Keith Richards, Steven Van Zandt, Joe Perry, Nils Lofgren and Alice Cooper
    https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=394058097940347

9.30pm & 2.25am Rock n Roll Island – Where Legends Were Born (BBC4) New!
    The history of Eel Pie Island, a small island in the Thames in south-west London, which became the epicentre of R'n'B in the 1960s. In its heyday, the likes of the Rolling Stones, the Yardbirds, the Who, David Bowie, Elton John, Pink Floyd, Fleetwood Mac, John Mayall, Long John Baldry and many others cut their teeth at the venue before becoming legends of the music industry. Nigel Planer narrates this documentary exploring the unique experiences of the people who either played at the Island Hotel or went there to listen to music and dance on its famous bouncing dance floor. Contributors include Rod Stewart, Steve Hackett and Dave Brock
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000gp1k

10.30pm Sgt Pepper’s Musical Revolution - With Howard Goodall (BBC4)
    The composer explores why the Beatles' 50-year-old album is still revered as an innovative, revolutionary and influential release. With the help of out-takes, studio conversations between the band and never-heard-before outside of Abbey Road, Howard gets 'under the bonnet' of the album, taking the music apart and reassembling it to reveal how it works. Producer George Martin and his team constructed the album sound by sound, layer by layer - a formula that became the norm for just about every rock act who followed. Not on Youtube, maybe elsewhere if you google it
    https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2017/jun/05/sgt-peppers-musical-revolution-howard-goodall-review-untold-treasures

10.50pm A Shot Of Whisky (Sky Arts)
    The story of Los Angeles rock venue Whisky a Go Go, featuring classic archive performances by the likes of Led Zeppelin, the Doors and Janis Joplin as well as interviews

11.30pm Opry An Iuir Le Daniel (TG4)
    Daniel O’Donnell with Charley Pride

11.30pm Sinatra: All Or Nothing At All (BBC4)
    Ep 1 of 4 Examination examination of the life, music and career of legendary entertainer Frank Sinatra, told in his own words in archived interviews, along with commentary from those people closest to him. It says here “Introduced by Matt Goss” which I’m sure would have made Francis Albert Sinatra very proud

12.30am Acoustic At The BBC (BBC4)
    A selection of acoustic guitar performances from the BBC archives, featuring David Bowie's Starman, Bert Jansch, Johnny Marr and Bernard Butler with The River Bank, Chelsea Morning by Joni Mitchell and Wonderwall by Oasis. Also included is Jimmy Page's TV debut from 1958, as well as a rendition of Mountains by Biffy Clyro

12.40am Queen – The Magic Years (Sky Arts)
    Doc about their early career

1.25am Hits, Hype And Hustle – An Insiders Guide To The Music Business (BBC4)
    Music public relations expert Alan Edwards tells the story of why so many bands are getting back together, what happens when they do - and how such reunions have changed the music business

1.25am The Windmill Lane Sessions (TG4)
    featuring Re, Original Rudeboys and Alien Envoy

2am Queen Rock Montreal (Sky Arts)
    Decent Queen gig from 1981

Saturday
    4.15pm Fleadh Cheoil (RTE1)

5pm The Hollies – Look Through Any Window (Sky Arts)

7pm You’ve Got A Friend – The Carole King Story (Yesterday)

7.15pm Take It To The Limit (TG4) New!**
    Johnny Brady, Simon Casey, Nigel Connell and The Sheerin Family Band come together to pay homage to The Eagles. **Well, it was new when it shown on Tuesday

https://www.hotpress.com/music/irish-musicians-perform-take-limit-celebration-eagles-tg4-22809148

7.30pm-10pm Classic Artists – Cream (Sky Arts)
    The story of the 1960s rock supergroup, featuring concert footage and interviews with members Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce

8pm Guitar Heroes At The BBC (Yesterday)
    With Pete Townshend of the Who, acoustic numbers by Davy Graham and Ralph McTell, and the talents of Americans Nils Lofgren and Ted Nugent. Also featured are performances by the Faces, Chris Spedding, the Runaways, Judas Priest, ZZ Top and the Cate Brothers

8.15pm An Fhidil Bheo – Ceol An Northern Fiddler (TG4)
    Fiddle players discuss the legendary 1979 book, The Northern Fiddler, a unique compilation of music, photos, illustrations and interviews of Donegal and Tyrone musicians

10pm Eric Clapton – Planes, Trains And Eric (Sky Arts)
    Documentary film following the guitarist on the Far and Middle Eastern legs of his 2014 world tour, featuring interviews, backstage footage and concert performances

11.45pm Eric Clapton – Live In California (2001) (Sky Arts)
    It's Eric Clapton night, apparently

12.15am Top Of The Pops 1989 – June 1 (BBC4)
    12.45am Top Of The Pops 1989 – June 8 (BBC4)

2am David Gilmour Live In Gdansk (Sky Arts)

Sunday
    7pm Elvis And The Girl From Vienna (Sky Arts)
    Thing about his secretary, who was from Vienna

8pm Elvis The Final Hours (Sky Arts)

9pm The Seven Ages Of Elvis (Sky Arts)
    Its not the anniversary of his death or birth, not sure why all these are on

9.30pm Transatlantic Sessions – Togha Agus Rogha (TG4)
    featuring Rosanne Cash, Paul Brady, John Martyn with Danny Thompson, and Maura O'Connell with Nanci Griffith

10pm 13 Moments – Amy Winehouse: The Tragedy Of Talent (Channel 5)
    A Doc about Amy Winehouse. This film features contributions from some of those who knew Amy well and those who tried to help her, telling the story of a towering but troubled talent, through the chain of key moments that led ultimately towards tragedy

10.45pm Elvis 56 Special (Sky Arts)

11.30pm The Ten Faces Of Michael Jackson (Channel 5)
    Michael Jackson had lots of Cosmetic Surgery, here’s a look at some of his faces. Not making this up.
    There is a new Michael Jackson Doc on BBC2 on Monday night https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000gxf7

Midnight Chuck Berrry – The King Of Rock And Roll (Sky Arts)

1.50am Carl Perkins And Friends (Sky Arts)

2.50am A Shot Of Whisky (Sky Arts)

So there you are, good article about the recent Boomtown Rats Doc and its dismissal of Big Tom here https://theblackpoolsentinel.wordpress.com/2020/03/22/citizens-of-boomtown-the-rats-v-irelands-showbands/

In the famine of live televised sport, we bring you Drag Racer, the BBC Snooker theme as performed by RTE's Aonghus McAnally

https://twitter.com/AonghusMcAnally/status/1241483216265056256

And finally, the The Best Val Kilmer Cover Of A Little Richard Song comes from Top Secret! (Thursday Night 2.15am Film4). A funny film featuring Val Kilmer, honestly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Some great looking shows on there that I won’t see as it’s stupid o’clock, thanks for the update though, I email this on to my dad every week. He’s got sky arts aswell, the ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

Some great looking shows on there that I won’t see as it’s stupid o’clock, thanks for the update though, I email this on to my dad every week. He’s got sky arts aswell, the ****.
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I email this on to my dad every week.

This made me smile a great big smile.

God bless the Beebrock thread.

Thanks paddy, hello to your Dad too. Always good to hear people are tuning in.

Hopefully there is truth in these rumours that Sky Arts might be going free to view at some point. No sign of it yet.

Skid, in the words of his lord on high, Joe Duffy, Thank you for your service.

Determined not to let the Howard Goodall Mop Tops documentary slip through my fingers.

Again. :mad:

#firstworldproblems

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

Skid X wrote: »

9pm Miles Davis – Birth Of The Cool (BBC2) New!
    Documentary profile of the jazz bandleader, horn player and innovator whose restless determination to break boundaries and live life on his own terms made him a star, but also made him difficult to live with. In music and in life, Davis shied away from the status quo, and when he thought his work came to represent a new convention, he changed it again. Featuring studio out-takes, archive footage and photos and Davis's own words, as well as contributions from many friends and colleagues

Just got around to watching this (the joy of BBC iPlayer!)
    A fabulous documentary. Gonna play the Bitches Brew LP now, which I confess has been gathering dust on a shelf for 20 years or more.
    Thanks Skid. I follow this thread. Great and comprehensive weekly write ups, it alerts me to a lot of stuff I might otherwise miss, such as this documentary. Cheers, man!

• Advertisement

Flippyfloppytoppypoppy! :)

Sinitta!

tenor.gif?itemid=5060392

Didn’t know Vixen had a record in ‘89 :eek:

0_AwesomeScreenshot-Watch-ITV-live-ITV-Hub-2019-07-05-17-07-52.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,899 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

The cello and hip hop goes well together

• Registered Users Posts: 11,955 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199