Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,955 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

dasdog wrote: »
    Fuzzbox are great
    We shall agree to disagree.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,387 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Didn’t feel the need to wear a bra, Neneh? :eek:

Neneh did a stint with The Slits, all clothing is optional and all opinions bar her own irrelevant. One if the many reasons to love Neneh. Glad I had her to admire and be inspired by growing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Sky Arts appears to have changed their schedule entirely tonight for some reason

Johnny Cash until 10.50pm, then Willie Nelson

This prison Johnny Cash is in looks suspiciously fancy

• Registered Users Posts: 72,654 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Floptopsche!

Wendy James :)

69abce8b-93eb-4ac5-830e-0a63359ac396.jpg

:(

• Advertisement

Transvision Damp.

Heh heh. :cool:

‘Song For Whoever!’

Oh yeah! :cool: :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

The acoustic demo of Strawberry Fields on Anthology 2 is one of my favourite Beatle songs.

The acoustic demo of Strawberry Fields on Anthology 2 is one of my favourite Beatle songs.

Surely there has never been a single record as good as Strawberry Fields/Penny Lane?

It just boggles my mind that they were producing such amazing stuff at such ridiculous speed they didn't bother pausing to do these seperately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Eal Pieland was great, just a pity there was so little documentary evidence of the bands who played there actually playing.
    How typical the site of the venue is now posh nobs housing with boats at every back door.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭dasdog

From an episode of the Young Ones

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭BandMember

Determined not to let the Howard Goodall Mop Tops documentary slip through my fingers.

Again. :mad:

#firstworldproblems

It really is an excellent documentary! I'd love to see him doing similar shows on other artists and albums. There's definitely the makings of a series or semi-regular shows here....
    Skid X wrote: »
    Sky Arts appears to have changed their schedule entirely tonight for some reason

Johnny Cash until 10.50pm, then Willie Nelson

This prison Johnny Cash is in looks suspiciously fancy

I was unware of this at the time and turned over to Sky Arts to see Willie Nelson and Toots Hibbert doing a duet. There was then an awkward moment where I put down my beer to wonder how much I consumed as I was clearly hallucinating and if re-taking the pledge might be in order..... Thankfully, it was a only a very quick moment. :p :cool:

Fuzzbox - an unknown 1980's entity until recently

If you enjoyed Howard Goodall's Sergeant Pepper's thing last night, you might also enjoy this show he did in 2004 for Channel 4 'Howard Goodall's 20th Century Greats - The Beatles'

I thought it was great, It covers similar ground to the other show but it is broader in scope. He has a gift in being able to demonstrate show progressive the Beatles' music writing was at the time

http://www.howardgoodall.co.uk/works/tv-presenting/howard-goodalls-20th-century-greats/great-dates-lennonmccartney

The Youtube uploader had a successful battle with Apple, who kept posting copyright claims against him.

^^^^

Nice one, Skid.

All this copyright nonsense...why can’t Apple just Let It Be?

Heh heh. :cool:

Also, there's Howard Goodall's The Story of Music, which last time I checked was in various bits on Youtube - I think there's 6 or 8 parts - and it's fantastic.

Metallica at Slane on a cold June day

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

• Registered Users Posts: 34,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The chap who wrote "I Love Rock'n'Roll" has died of the coronavirus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Merrill

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Good doc on the beatles there

Any documentary recommendations on "The recording of...." songs/albums? Link below of amateur footage of MGMT recording one of their hits Electric Feel. Their album and that song turned out to be a smash - but the nice thing about the clip is the footage is just them putting together a normal song with no expectations. The look on his face at 2.24 when he realises they've just recorded a hit - it must be an amazing feeling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1yXR_VhKwE

Good doc on the beatles there

Any documentary recommendations on "The recording of...." songs/albums?

There are some decent full episodes of 'Classic Albums' on Youtube, depending on what you are into

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=classic+albums&sp=EgIYAg%253D%253D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Nice one as always Skid.

Not an album but a song.

Johnny Come Lately by Steve Earle and the Pogues. I've more better footage from this but have to keep it to myself

Hello, lets have a look at whats in the schedules this weekend. Well, at the time of writing they look like what is copied and pasted down below. Plenty of Queen and not much much new. Lots of Drumming on Sky, here are the details ...

Thursday
    2pm Elvis And The Girl From Vienna (Sky Arts)
    3pm Elvis – The Final Hours (Sky Arts)

7pm Simply Red Live At Sydney Opera House (Sky Arts)

8pm Phil Collins: Going Back To Detroit (Sky Arts)
    Motown session with the Funk Brothers

9pm Ceol @ Celtic (TG4)

9pm-2am The Art Of Drumming (Sky Arts)
    All 4 episodes of The Art of Drumming back to back
    https://www.musicradar.com/news/the-art-of-drumming-drumming-is-a-beautiful-art-its-a-passion-its-a-religion-its-fun

11pm Score – Cinema’s Greatest Soundtracks (BBC4)
    Hollywood composers including Hans Zimmer, James Cameron, Danny Elfman, John Williams, Quincy Jones and Trent Reznor combine to give a privileged look inside the musical challenges and creative secrecy of the film score

11.15pm Elton John In His Own Words (RTE1)
    Hour long interview with Graham Norton about Elton’s career

11.30pm Other Voices – David Gray Special (RTE2)
    Concert from Ballina

Friday
    7pm Discovering Music – Queen (Sky Arts)
    Appears to be Queen night on both Sky Arts and Channel 5, for some reason

7.30pm Top Of The Pops 1989 – June 15 (BBC4)
    Mark Goodier and Simon Parkin host the edition first shown on June 15, featuring performances by Fuzzbox, REM, Sinitta, Double Trouble & Rebel MC, Donna Allen, Cyndi Lauper, Jason Donovan and Tom Petty

8pm Classic Albums: Queen – A Night At The Opera (Sky Arts)

8pm Abba At The BBC (BBC4)

8.30pm Fleadh Cheoil (RTE1)
    with Séamus Begley and friends and the All Ireland Céile Band Champions, Cnoc na Gaoithe céile band. Although they might show the episode which was bumped last week for the Lockdown announcement

9pm Top Of The Pops 1989 – June 22 (BBC4)
    Simon Mayo and Gary Davies host the edition first shown on June 22, featuring performances by Living in a Box, the Beautiful South, Gladys Knight, Clannad & Bono, Placido Domingo & Jennifer Rush, Mob featuring LRS, Soul II Soul and the Bangles

9pm Freddie Mercury – The Great Pretender (Sky Arts)
    Profile of the Queen frontman, exploring his time away from the band - including a collaboration with Michael Jackson and the triumphant Barcelona duet with Montserrat Caballe. Featuring archive footage and interviews with bandmates Brian May and Roger Taylor, as well as friends and admirers including Paul Gambaccini, Montserrat Caballe and Matt Lucas

9pm Mumford & Sons: Thunder And Dust Live From South Africa (Pick)

9pm Peat & Diesel – That’s The Way We Do It (BBC Alba)
    Followed at 10.30pm by ‘Peat & Diesel – From The Barrow To The Barrowlands. This is also on Saturday and Sunday

9.30pm & 2am Rich Hall’s Countrier Than You (BBC4)
    The American comedian, writer and musician explores the early origins of country music in Nashville and Austin. He visits the rustic studios where this much-loved sound was born and discovers how this genre of music has reinvented itself with influences from bluegrass, western swing and Americana

10pm 13 Moments: Freddie Mercury – The Greatest Showman (Channel 5)
    A profile of the Queen frontman, one of the most charismatic and flamboyant performers in music history

10.45pm Queen – From Rags To Rhapsody (Sky Arts)
    Documentary recalling the rock band's early years, spent struggling gigging at pubs and colleges, and following their progress up to when Bohemian Rhapsody was a hit

11pm Sings The Great American Songbook (BBC4)
    A compilation of archive performances of hits composed by American songwriters including Cole Porter, Irving Berlin, Johnny Mercer and Harold Arlen. Featuring music by Shirley Bassey, Bryan Ferry, Captain Sensible, Jamie Cullum and Florence and the Machine

11.25pm Queen: A Night At The Odeon (Channel 5)
    1975 Christmas Eve gig

Midnight Other Voices – David Gray Special (RTE2)
    Same as yesterday

Midnight Sinatra - All Or Nothing At All (BBC4)
    Part 2/4 Frank’s 1971 Farewell Concert. Sure he was only getting warmed up

Midnight Queen Live In Milton Keynes 1982 (Sky Arts)

1am The Windmill Lane Sessions (TG4)
    With Frances Black and Kieran Goss, McMahon and the Lost Brothers. Kieran Goss there, no relation to Luke and/or Matt Goss

1am The Hollies - Look Through Any Window (Sky Arts)

1am Music Moguls – Masters Of Pop (BBC4)
    Ep 1/3 the story of the maverick managers who controlled the careers of major artists, from Colonel Tom Parker (Elvis) up to Scooter Braun (Justin Bieber). Along the way are tales of industry legends such as Led Zeppelin's Peter Grant, and Don Arden, who managed the Small Faces, Black Sabbath and ELO

Saturday
    4.15pm Fleadh Cheoil (RTE1)

4pm-9pm The Art Of Drumming (Sky Arts)
    Same as Thursday. Looks like Sky are trying to fill air time

7pm Guitar Heroes At The BBC (Yesterday)
    Carlos Santana, Mark Knopfler, Peter Green and the Edge, and acoustic material by John Martyn, John Renbourn, Bert Jansch and Paco Pena.

8.30pm Pat Shortt’s Music From D’Telly (RTE1)
    Featuring archive performances from Amy Winehouse and Robbie Williams, plus a rarely seen 1982 interview with Rory Gallagher and the story of a government-appointed song collector

9pm Bee Gees One Night Only (Sky Arts)
    11.10pm Bee Gees: In Our Own Time (Sky Arts)

Gig followed by Doc

10pm Camgymeriad Gwych (S4C)
    A film originally broadcast in 2001, capturing the interactions between Welsh musicians in a recording studio. Featuring the music of and starring Catatonia, James Dean Bradfield, Super Furry Animals, Big Leaves, Fernhill and many more

10pm TOTP2 Country Jukebox (BBC Scotland)

10.55pm Abba: When All Is Said And Done (Channel 5)
    Docudrama telling the stories of singers Agnetha Faltskog and Anni-Frid Lyngstad, told through the words both of those in Abba's close circle and of the women themselves

11.30pm Top Of The Pops 1989 – June 15 (BBC4)
    Midnight Top Of The Pops 1989 – June 22 (BBC4)

12.30am Our Musical History – Blues And Beyond (BBC4)
    Cerys Matthews and Val Wilmer play videos and talk about Muddy Waters and Howlin' Wolf, Jimi Hendrix and John Lee Hooker, Sister Rosetta Tharpe and Peggy Lee and many more. No I said Val Wilmer, he’s a photographer

12.30am Studio 54 – The Documentary (Sky Arts)
    Featuring a Mr N.Rodgers https://www.imdb.com/title/tt5773986/

2.20am Kylie: Showgirl – The Greatest Hits Tour (Sky Arts)

Sunday
    9pm Billy Elliott – The Musical (Sky Arts)

9.30pm Transatlantic Sessions – Rogha Agus Togha (TG4)
    With Julie Fowlis, Tim O'Brien, Joan Osborne, Dónal Lunny Darrell Scott and Bruce Molsky

10.35pm Flosc (TG4)
    Cormac de Barra presents the music show, featuring sessions by the new generation of traditional musicians, including Mike McGoldrick, Dezi Donnelly and Oisín Mac Diarmada

11pm Bee Gees At The BBC And Beyond (BBC4)

11pm Keeping ‘Er Country (BBC Scotland)
    Clonmany in Donegal hosts the longest running country music festival in Ireland, and this year it's preparing for its 50th anniversary. With a night of nostalgia focusing on the veteran stars, Philomena Begley and TR Dallas take centre stage in this trip down memory lane

If you enjoyed Aonghus McAnally's Drag Racer / BBC Snooker theme recently he continues his stampede through the intros of BBC2 with Jessica AKA The Top Gear theme

https://twitter.com/AonghusMcAnally/status/1244718463408619521

Other Voices sent out an email today with this link

"Other Voices: An Irish Affair, is a special episode of the show, which first aired in 2014. It features performances from Lisa Hannigan, James Vincent McMorrow, John Smith, The Frames, Little Green Cars, The Coronas, Mick Flannery, Kodaline, Villagers, The Strypes and more. For the first time, we've made it available on Vimeo for you all to watch. This will be available to watch for free for one week. Feel free to pass the link on to anyone you think might enjoy the music. Enjoy the show!
    Here's the link you need:"
    https://vimeo.com/123428767

Vimeo is a good place to find music shows which might not be available elsewhere, just saying. I wouldn't normally mention Vimeo but Other Voices have legitimately put up their video on Vimeo so it is getting a plug, just this once.

Finally, The best example of Susannah Hoffs from The Bangles performing with Austin Powers doing a song about the BBC might be in this number from Ming Tea as featured in Austin Powers: International Man Of Mystery (Sony Movies Classic, Sunday 9pm)

It has been mentioned on other forums, but Adam Schlesinger from Fountains Of Wayne has died of coronavirus, aged 52.

As a huge fan, I am genuinely upset :(

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/apr/01/adam-schlesinger-fountains-of-wayne-dead-coronavirus

So many great songs, far too many to post...

RIP Adam.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I don't really know their stuff, but Radiation Vibe is an absolute Tune
    RIP.

TOPODEPOPSCHE!

Fuzzy :)

• Advertisement

Hey Mark Goodier, I'm still waiting on that Fuzzbox Cartoon series ...

Advertisement