Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭corkie

^^^ Earlier post than Normal !!?? :)

RTÉ to air Gaga-curated Covid-19 benefit concert
    The impressive musical line-up for the show includes Gaga, Billie Eilish and her brother Finneas, Lizzo, J Balvin, Stevie Wonder, Paul McCartney, Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day, Alanis Morissette, Burna Boy, Andrea Bocelli, Chris Martin of Coldplay, Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam, Elton John, John Legend, Kacey Musgraves, Keith Urban and Lang Lang.

How to watch One World: Together at Home – special event curated by Lady Gaga

In the UK, BBC One will broadcast an adapted version on Sunday 19th April, featuring highlights from the event, exclusive performances from UK artists and interviews with front line workers.

Additional content from the live event will be available on BBC iPlayer from Sunday 19th April.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

i wonder how many of them will be alive come the 19th ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Hello again, here are some listings for the weekend. The new show is a TG4 doc about piper Liam O'Flynn on Sunday which looks good if you are into that kind of music. Usual repeats with a few more than usual across Sky One and Pick

I've a mate a piper who'll love this.
    Good Friday
    4pm The Beatles, Hippies & Hells Angels (Sky Arts)

Imagine that listing on RTE1 in the 70s. There'd be rosard beads rattling and stern letters written to "The Paper".
    12.25am Gregory Porter’s Popular Voices (BBC4)
    Ep 1 of 3 Gregory examines the sound and work of his favourite vocal showstoppers, starting with the world's first pop star, the Italian tenor Enrico Caruso. He moves on to admire the genius of Ella Fitzgerald, the soul of Mahalia Jackson, the power and stagecraft of Freddie Mercury, the artistry and extravagance of Prince, and the modern melisma of Whitney Houston and Mariah Carey

Showed this to the daughter. She's looking forward to it. She's a fine singer and connoisseur of singers.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,654 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

FLOPTOPSCHE!

Oh god, it’s Anthea.

*earplugs*

Holly’s Keytar (!) player prepared for Covid-19.

• Advertisement

PLAY VOODOO RAY!!

“The pride of Cardiff”

:D :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

That Soul II Soul song is timeless, proper classic.

Sonia’s full name is Sonia.

The names Knight, Gladys Knight.

Licence to Kilt.

• Advertisement

Gladys Knight rang me once from a pay phone I said “Gladys what’s all that noise in the background” She said “that’s the pips”.

DE LA SOUL...NOW!!

Grandpa can’t have a party...he’s in self-isolation. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Amazing to think a whole other sub culture was in full swing every weekend

Paul Heaton pointed out on twitter that he is one of the few people who had number ones with two different groups (proper groups who released at least one album, not just a featured artist on one of the hits)

He had five names, I will post his list later, he was quite argumentative with people who had different lists "Noel Gallagher? Are you telling me High Flying Birds had a Top 10 hit? They didnt ..."

Chaka is in there somewhere.

YEEEAAAHH!

*glowsticks*

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭dasdog

Amazing to think a whole other sub culture was in full swing every weekend

Different worlds - it starts to creep in - A Guy Called Gerald with a classic at the end. Still sounds great.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Still get the oul goosebumps up the back of the neck every time I hear voodoo ray!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Gold radio available on Sky 0121 have started playing classic concerts on a Friday night at 9pm. tonight its the bee gees from 1976. quite nice actually :)

• Advertisement

This Kenny Rogers thing on BBC4 is good

I didn't know he was the vocalist on this, not even a little bit country

"I woke up this morning with the sundown shining in
    I found my mind in a brown paper bag within
    I tripped on a cloud and fell-a eight miles high
    I tore my mind on a jagged sky
    I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Now 70s is on FTA, and I presume Sky and it's rocking all evening. Guitar heroes on later, how much it differs from the Yesterday show is probably measured in less than a semi quaver!

Wings, hadn't heard Old Siam for literally decades, so that was nice. Back to the Egg got poor reviews when McCartney was at his least hip ever.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-album-reviews/back-to-the-egg-206167/amp/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,385 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

finally watching on drums with Stewart Copeland. brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Skid X wrote: »
    Paul Heaton pointed out on twitter that he is one of the few people who had number ones with two different groups (proper groups who released at least one album, not just a featured artist on one of the hits)

He had five names, I will post his list later, he was quite argumentative with people who had different lists "Noel Gallagher? Are you telling me High Flying Birds had a Top 10 hit? They didnt ..."

Macca? Do we consider Wings a real band? (I know they're the band the Beatles could have been and all that...)

loyatemu wrote: »
    Macca? Do we consider Wings a real band? (I know they're the band the Beatles could have been and all that...)

Yeah, he's one

https://twitter.com/PaulHeatonSolo/status/1246231836864454658

https://twitter.com/PaulHeatonSolo/status/1247977796368052224

I think the list (which is not Gospel) is

1 Macca (Beatles & Wings)

2 Paul Heaton (Housemartins & Beautiful South)

3 Norman Cook (Housemartins & Beats International)

4 Denny Laine (Moody Blues & Wings)

5 Damon Albarn (Blur & Gorillaz)

6 Bev Bevan (The Move & ELO)

7 Roy Wood (ELO & Wizzard?)

8 Paul Simonon (The Clash & Gorillaz)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,935 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Now 70s is on FTA, and I presume Sky and it's rocking all evening. Guitar heroes on later, how much it differs from the Yesterday show is probably measured in less than a semi quaver!

Wings, hadn't heard Old Siam for literally decades, so that was nice. Back to the Egg got poor reviews when McCartney was at his least hip ever.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-album-reviews/back-to-the-egg-206167/amp/

They shot the wrong Beatle.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭dasdog

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭trashcan

They shot the wrong Beatle.

Shurrup. Macca is great. Ok he's realeased his fair share of dodgy stuff, but that's more than outweighed by his best work. (Disclaimer - most of his work past the early 80's excepted. )

Hello, what's on this week? Well, there are lots of Classic Albums on Sky Arts and BBC4 gives us a repeat of a pop song writing doc from 2008. Might be running out of material, there. Also that some highlights of that Stay At Home Concert thing and more of the usual bits and bobs ...

Thursday
    9pm Brian Johnson’s A Life On The Road – Billy Joel (Sky Arts)

9pm Glor Tire – Rogha & Togha (TG4)

10pm Ceol Chogadh Na Saoirse (TG4)
    Ep 1 of 4 Exploring the complex relationship Irish people have with songs associated with the Irish War of Independence and how these relationships have changed over time. The first episode shows how the songs which were instrumental in igniting the War of Independence and keeping up morale during some of the darkest days

10pm Joe Cocker – Mad Dog With Soul (Sky Arts)
    Documentary charting the rise of the singer, a gas fitter playing in Sheffield pubs who was catapulted to stardom following a spectacular appearance at Woodstock in 1969

11.30pm Other Voices (RTE2)
    featuring performances by Boy Azooga, Lucy Rose, Hayden Thorpe, Kit Philippa and 9bach. From Cardigan in Wales

11.45pm -3.30am Elvis Presley – The Searcher (Sky Arts)
    Excellent two part Elvis Doc

Friday
    7pm Pink Floyd – A Delicate Sound Of Thunder (Sky Arts)
    Concert film from Pink Floyd’s' A Momentary Lapse of Reason tour, recorded at New York's Nassau Coliseum in August 1988

7.30pm Top Of The Pops 1989 – July 13 (BBC4)
    Bruno Brookes and Jackie Brambles host the edition first shown on July 13, featuring performances by Waterfront, Bette Midler, De La Soul, Danny Wilson, Michael Jackson, Kirsty MacColl and Gloria Estefan

8pm & 3am How Pop Songs Work (BBC4)
    Charles Hazlewood explores what makes a good pop single, breaking the songs down into six key areas - melody, song structure, lyrics, production arrangement and performance - before looking at successful songs in the genre. The conductor uses successful albums from the genre including John Lennon's Imagine and Amy Winehouse's Back to Black to examine these categories. Contributors include songwriter Guy Chambers, ABC singer Martin Fry and producers Steve Levine and Richard Niles. This was first shown in 2008 and hasn’t been repeated since.

8.30pm Junior (TG4)
    In 2018, 20 years after the death of Irish fiddle player Junior Crehan, family members, musicians and dancers including Paddy Glackin, Donal Lunny, Tim Dennehy and Liam O'Brien gather to honour him

9pm Top Of The Pops 1989 – July 20 (BBC4)
    Gary Davies hosts the edition first shown on July 20, featuring performances by Sonia, London Boys, the Cult, Bobby Brown, Jive Bunny and the Mastermixers, Eartha Kitt and Bronski Beat, and Monie Love

9pm Classic Albums: Pink Floyd – The Dark Side Of The Moon (Sky Arts)

9pm Bee Gees – One Night Only (Pick)
    1997 concert

9.30pm Sounds Of The Seventies (BBC4)
    Featuring tracks by ELO, T.Rex, 10cc, Alvin Stardust and Mott the Hoople, culminating in Meat Loaf's 1978 Old Grey Whistle Test performance of Paradise by the Dashboard Light

10pm & 2am Elvis – The Rebirth Of The King (BBC4)
    When Elvis Presley began performing in Las Vegas in 1969, many believed that was the end of his career, especially after the excitement of his '68 Comeback Special. This documentary follows his time in the gambling capital and argues that it was a musical renaissance for the King, who reached his peak as both as a singer and performer - jumpsuits and all

10pm Classic Albums: The Who – Who’s Next (Sky Arts)

10.50pm Lorient (TG4)
    Performances from the Breton Interceltic festival held in Lorient

11pm Sinatra – All Or Nothing At All (BBC4)
    Ep 4 of 4 Featuring previously unseen footage from home movies and concert performances, including his legendary 1971 'retirement concert' in Los Angeles, this tribute to the showman follows Sinatra's growth from roadhouse performer to global singing sensation

11pm Classic Albums: The Doors – The Doors (Sky Arts)

11.55pm Film: The Sapphires (BBC1)
    The Chris O’Dowd Aborigine Soul Girl Band film

Midnight Gregory Porter’s Popular Voices (BBC4)
    Ep 2 of 3 Crooners & Co The soul and jazz performer explores the soft, intimate art of crooning. Born with the arrival of the microphone in the 1930s, crooning was initially about men seducing women and thrived through signature stars such as Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole and Frank Sinatra. However, far from disappearing with the advent of rock 'n' roll, the art of crooning gained a new existential edge and was transformed by the likes of Roy Orbison and David Bowie. Contributors include Iggy Pop, Joshua Homme, George Benson and Beck

Midnight Classic Albums: Cream – Disraeli Gears (Sky Arts)

12.15am Other Voices (RTE2)
    As Thursday

12.30am Windmill Lane Sessions (TG4)
    featuring Re, Original Rudeboys and Alien Envoy

1am Music Moguls – Masters Of Pop (BBC4)
    Ep 3 of 3 Myth Makers Leading publicist Alan Edwards narrates this instalment looking at the PR plots that have helped shape some of the world's greatest artistsThe programme highlights the campaigns behind superstars including Jimi Hendrix, Taylor Swift and David Bowie

1am Music Icons – Cream (Sky Arts)

Saturday
    6pm Joe Cocker – Mad Dog With Soul (Sky Arts)
    As Thursday

7pm Guitar Heroes At The BBC (Yesterday)
    Featuring Alice Cooper, New York Dolls, Peter Green, Queen, Robin Trower, John Martyn, Whitesnake, Joan Jett and Black Sabbath

7.45pm Ed Sheeran – Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)

8pm Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert (Pick, also on Sky One at 11.10pm)

8pm TOTP2 – The 60s (Yesterday)

8.55pm Opry An Iuir (TG4)
    Daniel O’Donnell with Isla Grant

9pm George Ezra Live At Baloise Session (Sky Arts)

10.30pm Oasis - Live By The Sea (Sky Arts)
    1995 Southend gig

10.35pm A Womans Heart With The RTE Concert Orchestra (RTE1)
    Eleanor McEvoy, Wallis Bird and Maura OConnell are accompanied by the orchestra to perform the 1992 album at the Wexford Opera House

11.30pm Top Of The Pops 1989 – July 13 (BBC4)

11.45pm There We Were, Now Here We Are – The Making Of Oasis (Sky Arts)
    The rise of Oasis, Featuring interviews with the original band members and key players in their journey to stardom, including Noel and Liam Gallagher and Creation label boss Alan McGee. From 1994, all here

Midnight Top Of The Pops 1989 – July 26 (BBC4)

Midnight Belladrum – Elbow Live (BBC Alba)

12.30am Our Musical History: Soul And Beyond With Trevor Nelson And Corinne Bailey Rae (BBC4)

1am Pink Floyd – A Delicate Sound Of Thunder (Sky Arts)
    As Friday

3am Classic Albums: Pink Floyd – The Dark Side Of The Moon (Sky Arts)

Sunday
    5.15pm Phantom Of The Opera Live (Sky Arts)

6.10pm Ceol Chogadh Na Saoirse (TG4)
    As Thursday

7pm One World: Together At Home (RTE, Also on BBC1 at 7.30pm)
    Highlights of the music and entertainment event supporting the Covid-19 Response Fund and celebrating the efforts of community health workers around the world, brought together by Global Citizen and the World Health Organisation, curated in collaboration with Lady Gaga. Featuring performances by stars including Elton John, Lizzo and Stevie Wonder https://www.globalcitizen.org/en/connect/togetherathome/

9.30pm Transatlantic Sessions – Togha Agus Rogha (TG4)
    Collaborations between American and Irish musicians, featuring Teddy Thompson, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Aoife O'Donovan, Julie Fowlis and Karen Matheson

10.30pm One Hit Wonders At The BBC (BBC4)
    Featuring Peter Sarstedt's 1969 track Where Do You Go To (My Lovely)?, Trio's 1982 smash Da Da Da, Move Closer, by Phyllis Nelson, and You Get What You Give, by New Radicals

11.35pm Flosc (TG4)
    Cormac De Barra presents music from Sligo. They never tell us who, alas

1.15am Joe Cocker – Mad Dog With Soul (Sky Arts)
    Again

1.25am Film: Northern Soul (2014) (Channel 4)
    A teenager living in a Northern town in the 1970s finds his horizons expanded when he discovers American soul music. He develops an inseparable friendship with a fellow devotee and the pair hope to achieve a brighter future beyond their bleak daily life. Drama, starring Elliot James Langridge, Josh Whitehouse, Steve Coogan and Ricky Tomlinson
    There were a few similar films made around that time, this is this one

... and that's that. BBC Radio has a orchestral concert of Beatles songs on Sunday, which is something I enjoy now and then. Followed by another Beatles Doc thing https://www.bbc.co.uk/schedules/p00fzl8v/2020/04/19

I enjoyed that Liam O'Flynn Doc on TG4 last week, well worth a look

Here is a short film about the weird and wonderful World of the pioneering BBC Radiophonic Workshop

https://twitter.com/BBCFOUR/status/1250353670811799552

And finally, the Best Christopher Walken and Robert De Niro collaboration on a Frankie Valli Song Of The Week might be this effort from The Deer Hunter (BBC1 10.30pm)

• Advertisement

FLOPTOPSCHE!

Danny Wilson, before he became manager of Sheffield Wednesday.

Advertisement