Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,643 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Wendy James, though.

tenor.gif?ctx=share

“Their music is pure music.”

giphy.gif

PLAY LIL’ LOUIS!!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭dasdog

The Shadows documentary was great. They have such a legacy right the way through to Fat White Family surf rock up to recent times. Hank Williams attempting Django Reinhardt style Gypsy Jazz nearing 80 though is a bit brave though. That's up there with the most difficult guitar playing imaginable.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I am enjoying Slade at the BBC on BBC Four now

I hope Noddy is keeping safe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Just got the end of it. As they say, I preferred their earlier stuff

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Skid X wrote: »

A did you know ?

When Spinal Tap was released some American bands threatened to sue for defamation.

Slade sorta laughed and said something like "yeah that's us"

• Registered Users Posts: 34,935 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I’ve got a couple of Martika drills in my garage.

Heh heh :cool:

Fine, suit yourselves.

Something something, hammer action, something something.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

A did you know ?

When Spinal Tap was released some American bands threatened to sue for defamation.

Slade sorta laughed and said something like "yeah that's us"

Zep thought it was about them, too.

Actually it was all of the 'best' (worst) bits of loads of bands added together. Love that film :pac:

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

PLAY VOODOO RAY REPEATEDLY ON A LOOP FOREVER!!

It's quite late 80s but still has those "chunky" analogue synth sounds, pretty sure it was done on an analogue drum machine, too.

That's why I love Vince Clarke's work... and the Human League... and Soft Cell...

Apart from "Tour De France" and "The Model" I shamefully wasn't exposed to most of Kraftwerk's.. werk... until many years later. I thought, this sounds like a bunch of synth music clichés, then I realised that that was because everyone else had been ripping them off for decades! Coldplay (hock) were the only ones to actually ask permission!

Anytime anything space exploration related was on TV in the late 70s, they'd stick on a bit of Oxygène. For years I had no idea what it was, just that it was "space music". :)

• Advertisement

I'm well into my 50s and , believe it or not, other than a few clips I've never seen that film. I'd been using a lovely little Anker speaker with my TV for the last 18 months and it calved last week. I've ordered what seems to be a pretty decent soundbar and should have it next week. Looking forward to getting Spinal Tap and turning it up to 101.

That's 90 louder :)

Spïnal Täp are the reason the BBC video player audio control goes up to eleven. :)

That's 90 louder :)

Spïnal Täp are the reason the BBC video player audio control goes up to eleven. :)

I was watching a docu about the Quo one night and Francis or Rick said they got Marshall to make them amps with 11 on the dials.

In the same show Francis Rossi was questioned about the whole 3 chord thing. He answered, ' Do you know anyone who's ever listened to a Quo song and said, "That song could do with another chord?" '.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Skid X wrote: »

Doesn't he still make one million stg every year from 'merry Christmas everybody'?
    I'm sure hes fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

sligojoek wrote: »
    I'm well into my 50s and , believe it or not, other than a few clips I've never seen that film. I'd been using a lovely little Anker speaker with my TV for the last 18 months and it calved last week. I've ordered what seems to be a pretty decent soundbar and should have it next week. Looking forward to getting Spinal Tap and turning it up to 101.
    :eek:
    The joys of spring :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

Covid got the fantastic keyboard player Dave Greenfield :(

RIP fella. Great sound.

Aaw no :(

Florian Schneider of Kraftwerk has died...

https://amp.theguardian.com/music/2020/may/06/florian-schneider-kraftwerk-co-founder-dies-aged-73

Just as influential, if not more so, than The Beatles.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

The stuff they did on their first album was insane, whats more mind boggling is that they played it totally live....in 1970, not too long after Woodstock. Mental!

Another pioneer gone. :( R.I.P Florian

This is my favourite song of theirs from that seminal performance.

Essentially, every artist who has dabbled in ‘electronic’ music in the last 40/45 years - be it dance, techno, hip-hop - owe Kraftwerk a debt.

That’s how important they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Hello, yes sad news there about Florian Schneider RIP. Link to a BBC4 2013 BBC Kraftwerk Doc down below. All the usual bits and pieces with news that TG4 are having a run of music Docs and Concerts on Sunday nights, which is good to see. Seems to be mostly the same shows they had on at Christmas, but they were mostly decent and they begin with popular Liverpool Beat Combo, The Beatles ...

Thursday
    9pm Brian Johnson’s A Life On The Road – Joe Walsh from The Eagles (Sky Arts)

9pm Glor Tire – Rogha Agus Togha (TG4)
    Performances by Mick Flavin, Patrick Feeney, Mike Denver, Shawn Cuddy, Lee Matthews, Jimmy Buckley and Justin McGurk at the Quays Bar Music Hall

10pm Ceol Choghadh Na Saoirse (TG4)
    Ep 4 of 4 The documentary reveals how many songs associated with the Irish Civil War experienced a revival during the Troubles, focusing on Belfast band the Wolfhound

10pm Manson – Music From An Unsound Mind (Sky Arts)
    Thing about Charles Manson, if you are into that

11.30pm Other Voices – Courage (RTE2)
    Uplifting musical performances from talented names in the music industry, kicking off with Ye Vagabonds

Midnight Beach Boys – Good Vibrations Tour (Sky Arts)
    1976 gig

Friday
    7pm Music Videos That Defined The 90s (Sky Arts)
    8pm Music Videos That Defined The 2000s (Sky Arts)

8pm & 2.30am Tunes For Tyrants: Music And Power With Suzy Klein (BBC4)
    Ep 3/3 Suzy Klein explores the use, abuse and manipulation of music in the Second World War - from swinging jazz to film soundtracks and from mushy ballads to madcap ballets

9pm Top Of The Pops 1989 – August 10 (BBC4)
    Bruno Brookes and Sybil Ruscoe host the edition first shown on August 10, featuring performances by Shakespears Sister, Jason Donovan, the Dogs d'Amour, Liza Minnelli, Aswad and Big Fun

9pm Quadrophenia: Our Generation (Sky Arts)
    Celebrity fans and cast members come together to shed light on the making of Quadrophenia and explore the legacy that the cult film has left behind, 40 years after its release. Followed by …
    10pm Quadrophenia – 40 Years On (Sky Arts)
    Lauren Laverne hosts a one-off special bringing the stars of Quadrophenia together. Featuring reminiscing, interviews, a table-read of the script and plenty of other surprises. The film itself isn’t on but read on to the end of the post if you want an alternative Phil Daniels Musical Treat

9.15pm Sli Na mBeaglaioch (TG4)
    Cormac and Breanndán Ó Beaglaoich take their camper van across over the Shannon to Clare. This was on last week

9.30pm Sounds Of The 70s (BBC4)
    A celebration of disco music, including archive performances by George McCrae, Carl Douglas, Thelma Houston, Sylvester, Eruption, McFadden & Whitehead, Sister Sledge, Gloria Gaynor and the Jacksons

10pm Definitely Dusty (BBC4)
    Documentary revisiting the career of Dusty Springfield, the renowned pop diva famous for classic songs such as You Don't Have to Say You Love Me and Son of a Preacher Man. Archive footage shot in both the UK and the US provides an illuminating insight into her glamorous but private personal life, and contributions from her protective inner circle of friends highlight the Dusty behind the panda eyes and blonde beehive. Includes interviews with Tom Jones, Elton John, Burt Bacharach, Lulu and Neil Tennant. Followed by …

11pm Dusty Springfield At The BBC (BBC4)
    featuring BBC archive footage of some of Dusty's most famous performances from 1961 to 1995. The programme also offers a chance to relive the singer's story, from her folk beginnings with the Springfields, through to her Motown homage years and her collaboration with Pet Shop Boys in the late 1980s. Also includes the star's duets with Tom Jones and Mel Torme. Always good to see a Tom Jones duet in the listings

11.30pm The Story Of The Jam – About The Young Idea (Sky Arts)
    Excellent documentary about the band, who were at the forefront of the late-1970s punk-mod scene, tracing the group's history from formation in 1975 to its end in 1982. Featuring interviews with frontman Paul Weller, bassist Bruce Foxton and drummer Rick Buckler, as well as archive performances

Midnight People’s History Of Pop (BBC4)
    1966-1976, The Love Affair Danny Baker celebrates the British public's love affair with pop music from 1966 to 1976, including a rare and intimate view of David Bowie. A fan of Marc Bolan describes how the singer-songwriter's dad gave him a pair of the star's trainers when he went to his house, and a former teacher and pupil of Peckham Manor School are reunited, more than 40 years after they witnessed an unknown Bob Marley perform in their sports hall

Midnight Other Voices – Courage (RTE2)

12.15am The Windmill Lane Sessions (TG4)
    Featuring Aslan, Mundy and Carol Keogh

1am Jazz 625 – Live For One Night Only (BBC4)
    A one-off revival of the iconic 1960s music show. Broadcasting live from Cheltenham during the Jazz Festival, the special show will feature a house band - led by pianist Robert Mitchell - with special guests including Gregory Porter, Joshua Redman, Jacqui Dankworth and Cleo Laine. Plus, an exclusive recorded performance from Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts in a jazz quartet with saxophonist Scott Hamilton

1.15am The Jam Live At Rockpalast 1980 (Sky Arts)

2.45am The Who: Sensation – The Story Of Tommy (Sky Arts)

Saturday
    6pm Fairport Convention – Folk Heroes (Sky Arts)

7pm Sounds Of The Sixties (Yesterday)
    Featuring the Who, Pink Floyd, Joe Cocker, the Nice and the Jimi Hendrix Experience, the Kinks, the Small Faces, the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band

7.30pm The Who: Tommy Live At The Royal Albert Hall 2017 (Sky Arts)

8pm Sounds Of The Seventies (Yesterday)
    Pink Floyd, the Rolling Stones, Fleetwood Mac and Jimi Hendrix, the Who, Queen, David Bowie, the Moody Blues and Elton John

9pm Foo Fighters Live – Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)

9pm Opry An Iuir (TG4)

10.15pm Coldplay Live – Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)

10.35pm TOTP2: Girl Groups (BBC4)
    the Supremes, Labelle, TLC, Spice Girls, the Pointer Sisters and B*Witched.
    May or may not feature some of this funky number song which used to be on Sesame Street every week back in the day, as sang by The Pointer Sisters

11.30pm Radiohead Live – Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)

11.35pm Top Of The Pops 1989 – August 10 (BBC4)

12.05am The Jazz Ambassadors (BBC4)
    Doc about The American Government sent Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington and Dave Brubeck out to tour the world in service of US Cold War interests, but they mainly generated support for their own Civil Rights movement

12.45am Robert Plant And The Sensational Space Shifters Live – Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)

2am Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds Live – Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)

Sunday
    4pm Classic Albums: Queen – A Night At The Opera (Sky Arts)

6.10pm Ceol Choghadh Na Saoirse (TG4)
    As Thursday

5pm-8pm Johnny Cash: Song By Song (Eps 1-6) (Sky Arts)
    I Walk The Line / Ring Of Fire / Jackson / A Boy Named Sue / Sunday Mornin’ Coming Down / A Boy Named Sue

7pm Queen Live In Milton Keynes (Sky One)

10pm World Stage – Green Day Live (MTV Music)

10.30pm Flosc (TG4)
    The second programme in the series which reflects the contemporary settings of traditional music, featuring Solas, June Ni Chormaic and Micheal O Raghaille

11pm The Beatles: Eight Days A Week – The Touring Years (TG4)

11.45pm Close To You – Remembering The Carpenters (Sky Arts)
    A documentary about The Carpenters

Here is the Kraftwerk Doc as mentioned up there

Also promised up above, here is a reminder bizarre cult 1987 Snooker Vampire Musical Billy The Kid And The Green Baize Vampire.

Described here as "the greatest film ever made", it might be the only vampire musical loosely based on the 1981 UK Snooker Championships Quarter Final match between Jimmy White and Ray Reardon.

https://theflaninthehighcastle.wordpress.com/2018/12/07/the-road-will-turn-to-gold-billy-the-kid-and-the-green-baize-vampire/comment-page-1/

Here is a link to a clip, and another to the full thing.

https://twitter.com/sivavaid/status/1256995452223963136

And finally, The Pointer Sisters not only had a recurring role in Sesame Street they also inspired the Best Stand Up Show With A Music Pun Of The Week , namely I'm About To Lose Control And I Think Joe Lycett (Channel 4, Thursday 10pm). This being the follow up to his other show That's The Way, Ah-ha, Ah-ha Joe Lycett.

Another pioneer gone. :( R.I.P Florian

This is my favourite song of theirs from that seminal performance.

How have I never seen this before, it's fantastic - thanks for posting. So much to digest in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,254 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Jam, live at Rockplast 1980... sounds epic.
    *gets up from desk and hits record on Sky Arts*

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Apart from "Tour De France" and "The Model" I shamefully wasn't exposed to most of Kraftwerk's.. werk... until many years later. I thought, this sounds like a bunch of synth music clichés, then I realised that that was because everyone else had been ripping them off for decades! Coldplay (hock) were the only ones to actually ask permission!

DAMMIT :(

Love this, had to post it - Florian giving the audience the chance to play the calculator, then addressing the camera at 2:03 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Another descent documentary on Kraftwerk
    Irish contributor called Mark Prendergast who I hadn't heard of before. RIP Florian

Lizzy - You gotta love that stripy effect you get on a lot of 70s videos when the music is loud enough to make the innards of the camera tube vibrate :)

Snake - Linky no worky :(

TOPPERSEPOPPSCHE!

Sunshine.
    Moonlight.
    Good times.
    Boogie.

In that order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Lisa and her kiss curl. Met her a few times, a nicer woman you couldn't meet, so down to earth.

Advertisement