Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,643 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

tenor.gif?itemid=7392648

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Toy Soldiers spends a lot of time faffing about on the verses when all you really want to hear is the chorus.

Straight in at 24, then straight out of the charts again. And that was the last of Fuzzbox's Top 40 adventures.

But it was fun while it lasted, not unlike BBC4 :(

Vicki Fuzzbox, though.

235397-48f8d90fe0f9bd305bb5e1446832e6f4.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,955 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Yer wan playing Ludwig drums. The only drums Alex van Halen has played :)

• Advertisement

‘Ass-wad’?

Tee hee...’wad’. :D

How's Eagle Eye doin', Nina? ;)

Anthea Turner could have been killed during a live broadcast on Saturday morning show UP2U

https://www.reddit.com/r/BritishTV/comments/2ayn5x/huge_explosion_on_a_tv_journalist_live_older_bbc/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭nomdeboardie

TOPPOPOPSCHE!

Can’t see this Black Box song being a hit :pac:
    OK, after all these months (years?) I'm finally going to ask - what the 4*&@ exactly is TOPPOPOPSCHE :confused::pac:

Brian May Wins Bizarre Gardening Accident of the Year With "Torn Buttock"

Queen guitarist, stereo photography enthusiast and keen astronomer Brian May has suffered the most unlikely accident amid lockdown, as he somehow managed to rip his gluteus maximus – Latin for the bum-cheek muscles – while out gardening.

https://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2020/05/brian-may-gardening-accident/

• Advertisement

Brian May and his buttock muscles in happier times :)

tenor.gif

He played on a Black Sabbath album. Respect :cool:

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    He played on a Black Sabbath album. Respect :cool:

Jive Bunny? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 34,935 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Nicky Campbell back from a hard day trading on the Stock Exchange.

Always thought he was a complete twat and by Radio1 DJ standards that's some going :)

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Jive Bunny? :confused:
    Hell no. Brian May did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

tenor.gif

I remember that I was on a scout trip to France during this momentous period in history. At one stage I got some francs together and made a phone call home.

My sister gave me a confused and rambling news update which included the fact that there was a rabbit singing Elvis songs at number 1 in the charts.

30 years later, I still don't understand.

TOPPOPOSCHEPARTTWO!!

Boo-tastic :)

Nearing the end of the keytar era.

Savour it, boardsies :)

This Is The Right Time...

To wear fishing waders.

• Advertisement

Was that Mussolini in the video?! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭dasdog

Someone please put the 80's out of its misery now

MARK GOODIER’S SHORTS!!

tenor.gif

CLIFF!

JJ3.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 14,385 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

really enjoying jools with christine, one of the better lockdown programs ive seen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Good to hear jools is back

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Not really sure where else to put this but I'm sure it'll be appreciated in here!

Morrissey sitting beside Mr Stardust is slightly uncomfortable viewing and poor ol' Phil is looking a bit rough.

There are quite a few episodes on YT. The Duran Duran vs Spandau Ballet episode
    is a highlight. Music is great as usual!

Not really sure where else to put this but I'm sure it'll be appreciated in here! ...

Ha, love it. Apparently that Spandau v Duran one was a proper grudge match, they all wanted to win it badly.

Rare Monday night Doccery on BBC4 tonight

https://twitter.com/BBCFOUR/status/1262422696777916417

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Skid X wrote: »
    Ha, love it. Apparently that Spandau v Duran one was a proper grudge match, they all wanted to win it badly.

Rare Monday night Doccery on BBC4 tonight

https://twitter.com/BBCFOUR/status/1262422696777916417

I’d go to jail for that red guitar Ike is playing

• Advertisement

Hello, this weekend we have a movie about Morrissey with none of his music - that's on RTE2. BBC offers that Boomtown Rats Doc, Snow Patrol Live and a decent film about a cult Belfast Record Store. Sky has mostly Queen stuff and that show about those who died in the last decade ...

Thursday
    9pm Glor Tire – Rogha Agus Togha (TG4)
    Performing on stage in the Quays Bar Music Hall, Galway, a chance to hear performances by Jim Devine, Mike Denver, Brendan Shine, Gerry Guthrie, Robert Mizzell, Louise Morrissey, Barry Kirwan and Johnny Brady

9pm Brian Johnson’s A Life On The Road – Roger Daltrey (Sky Arts)

10pm The Who Live At Kilburn 1977 (Sky Arts)

11.30pm Distant Sky: Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds Live In Copenhagen 2017 (Sky Arts)

11.30pm Other Voices – Courage (RTE2)
    The second in a series of filmed musical performances in strictly controlled locations around Ireland. Courage is a project that delivers inspiring performances from artists to the public during the Covid-19 crisis

Friday
    2.30pm Astaire and Rogers Sing The American Songbook (BBC2)
    Fred and Ginger sing. Probably dance a bit too.

8pm Top Of The Pops 1989 – August 31 (BBC4)
    Gary Davies hosts the edition first shown on August 31, featuring performances by Damian, Debbie Gibson, Eurythmics, Guns N' Roses, Tears for Fears, Donna Summer and Big Fun

8.30pm Video Killed The Radio Star – Oasis (Sky Arts)

9pm Top Of The Pops 1989 – September 7 (BBC4)
    Bruno Brookes hosts the edition first shown on September 7, featuring performances by Marillion, Richard Marx, Alyson Williams, Starlight, Prince, Depech-eh Mode and Jason Donovan

9pm Pulp Live At The Brixton Academy (Sky Arts)

9.15pm Sli Na mBeaglaoich (TG4)
    Father and Son, musicians Cormac and Breanndan O Beaglaoich continue their journey up the West coast of Ireland. This week they travel onwards to Mayo where they drop in on Achill, Croagh Patrick and Clew Bay

9.30pm Sounds Of The Eighties (BBC4)
    including Kool and the Gang, the Pointer Sisters, Grace Jones, Cameo, Bobby Womack, Sade, Alexander O'Neal and Whitney Houston

9.45pm Film: England Is Mine (RTE2)
    Biography of Morrissey, focusing on his early life in 1970s Manchester before he went on to become the lead singer of seminal alternative rock band the Smiths. The talented teenage singer forms a band and inspired by his mother and a young painter, sets out to pursue his dream of rock 'n' roll stardom. Jack Lowden stars. Gamedogluke on IMDB says “as a massive smiths fan I was of course disappointed at the absence of any smiths songs, however the music was still very good, using a lot of mid 70s tracks, which is sure to give a lot of older fans nostalgia. the only problem I found was that I originally knew this would obviously be a dramatization like most film biographies, but I then found out later that this is an unauthorized film, meaning that all of this could of possibly been false information, which is a bit of a waste of an hour and a half if it is 8/10.”
    Alternatively carlospresents says While I came away depressed after watching this. Perhaps that's what they wanted? It's very slow. Dull. Very dull. I hope someone does a Smiths or Morrisey story properly one day. This film is just too dull. 4/10. He would appear to be miserable now https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3717804/reviews?ref_=tt_urv

10pm Pulp: A Film About Life, Death and Supermarkets (Sky Arts)
    Documentary following Jarvis Cocker's band as they return to their Sheffield roots for their farewell concert in 2012. The film features footage from the performance and interviews with the group, as well as contributions from residents of the city, who share their thoughts on life, love and music, and perform their own rendition of Pulp's hits

10pm Later … With Jools Holland (BBC2)
    Jools chats with Dizzee Rascal who picks some songs that influenced him and some favourite performances of himself.

10pm & 1.50am Stevie Wonder – A Musical History (BBC4)
    Contributors include actor Martin Freeman, singers Alexander O'Neal, James Morrison, Beverley Knight and Corinne Bailey Rae, New Order's Gillian Gilbert and Stephen Morris, DJs Ana Matronic, Trevor Nelson and Norman Jay, Heaven's 17's Glenn Gregory and Martyn Ware, journalist Sian Pattenden and presenter Emma Dabiri, who chat and play old archive clips.

11pm Sings Stevie Wonder (BBC4)
    A trawl through the BBC archives, unearthing 50 years of covers of Wonder's classic songbook, featuring artists including Cilla Black, Jimmy Helms, Dionne Warwick, the Osmonds, India Arie and James Morrison

11.45pm The Decade The Music Died (Sky Arts)
    Stars who died from 2010-19. 2016 features a lot

Midnight Other Voices (RTE2)

Midnight Peoples History Of Pop (BBC4)
    Lauren Laverne celebrates music from 1986-1996. The episode looks back at the influential acid house wave that hit in 1988, the burgeoning UK hip-hop scene, and finally turns to the massive pop bands that exploded on the music scene, such as Take That and Spice Girls

12.20am The Windmill Lane Sessions (TG4)
    with Sharon Corr, the Pale and Declan Sinnott

1am Country Music By Ken Burns (BBC4)
    Ep 2 Hard Times (1933-1945) The history of the American art form focuses on the years 1933 to 1945, when the country music industry evolved with Nashville as its heart. The genre grew in popularity during the Great Depression and the Second World War, when America fell in love with singing cowboys, Texas Swing and the Grand Ole Opry's Roy Acuff. Contributors include Emmylou Harris, Vince Gill, Marty Stuart, Ray Benson, Merle Haggard, Willie Nelson and Ricky Skaggs.

1.20am Pet Shops: Inner Sanctum – The Super Tour (Sky Arts)
    From 2018 at the Royal Opera House

Saturday
    5.55pm Take That Live: Wonderland (Sky One)

6pm Bob Marley Live At The Rainbow 1977(Sky Arts)

7pm Sounds Of The Seventies (Yesterday)
    featuring the Eagles, Eric Clapton and Dire Straits, the Clash, Joy Division, the Buzzcocks, X-Ray Spex, the Damned and the Undertones, Alice Cooper, the New York Dolls, Iggy Pop, the Ramones and Bruce Springsteen, Ian Dury and the Blockheads, the Police, Simple Minds and Madness

7.30pm Queen Live At The Rainbow 1974 (Sky Arts)

9pm Opry An Iuir (TG4)
    Daniel O'Donnell presents a selection of performances from the 2018 series, including Charley Pride, Rita Coolidge, Dominic Kirwan, Isla Grant, Brendan Quinn, Derek Ryan and Sandy Kelly

9.15pm Freddie Mercury – The Great Pretender (Sky Arts)
    Profile of the Queen frontman, exploring his time away from the band - including a collaboration with Michael Jackson and the triumphant Barcelona duet with Montserrat Caballe. The programme also examines his life as a gay man who was not yet publicly out. This is also on Pick on Sunday

9.20pm Citizens Of Boomtown – The Story Of The Boomtown Rats (BBC2)
    Documentary telling the story of the Irish band led by Bob Geldof, who scored hits in the late 1970s and early 80s with the likes of Rat Trap and I Don't Like Mondays, before disbanding a year after Geldof's hugely successful Live Aid event in 1985. This is the one which was on RTE a few months ago

10.20pm Snow Patrol Live At Ward Park III (BBC1 NI)
    From 2019 - Snow Patrol perform a homecoming gig at Ward Park in Bangor, Co Down, as the band go on a journey through their early classics to songs from their most recent album. Odd scheduling by BBC NI to have this on at the same time as the Boomtown Rats are on BBC2

10.55pm Queen Live In Rio (Sky Arts)
    Queen perform in Rio in 1985 for a crowd of 250,000

10.55pm Top Of The Pops - The Story of 1978 (BBC2)
    Documentary about the change of musical direction on TOTP in 1978, when pop singles were slowly ousted by disco, punk and new wave artists. The programme features contributions by members of the Boomtown Rats, Squeeze, Boney M and Sham 69 - among others - and archive performances by the likes of Elvis Costello, the Undertones, Ian Dury and the Blockheads and the Jam

11.45pm TOTP Big Hits 1978 (BBC2)
    A selection of classic songs from 1978, a year in which punk music and new wave rebellion co-existed with pop, disco, soul, reggae and prog rock. Featuring appearances on the show by Ian Dury, Elvis Costello, Blondie, Bob Marley, the Boomtown Rats, Kate Bush, Sham 69, Brotherhood of Man, Dan Hill, Boney M, 10cc and Manfred Mann's Earth Band

12.05am For One Night Only – Rod Stewart (VM1)
    Dear Virgin Media, this show is repeated tomorrow, therefore I must complain about the misleading title.

12.15am Queen And Adam Lambert – The Show Must Go On (Sky Arts)
    Does it really have to go on, though? Well, what’s left of Queen are determined to plough on anyway.

1.20am Top Of The Pops 1989 – August 31 (BBC4)
    1.50am Top Of The Pops 1989 – September 7 (BBC4)

2am Toots And The Maytals – From The Roots (Sky Arts)

Sunday
    5pm Queen Live In Milton Keynes (Sky One)

6pm Music Icons – The Byrds (Sky Arts)

6.30pm The Hollies – Look Through Any Window (Sky Arts)
    Profile of the band, including an interview with members Graham Nash, Allan Clarke, Tony Hicks and Bobby Elliott and archive TV performances by the group from 1963 to 1975

8pm Queen Live In Rio (Pick)

8.30pm Pat Shortt’s Music From D’Telly (RTE1)

9.15pm Freddie Mercury – The Great Pretender (Pick)
    The one that was on Sky Arts earlier in the weekend

10.30pm Flosc (TG4)
    Cormac de Barra presents the music show, featuring sessions by the new generation of traditional musicians including Mairéad Nesbitt and her band, Cara Dillon, and a profile of Colm Mac Con Iomaire of the Frames, recorded at the Sessions from the Factory at Sligo docks

10.30pm Film: Good Vibrations (BBC1 NI)
    A music lover in 1970s Belfast opens a record shop while his city is torn apart by the Troubles. His business introduces him to the city's underground punk scene, and he becomes one of the key figures in creating an alternative subculture to the violence around him. Fact-based drama, starring Richard Dormer, Jodie Whittaker, Liam Cunningham and Dylan Moran. Decent film.

11pm Nina Simone Live At Montreux 1976 (TG4)
    The soul singer at the 1976 Montreux Jazz Festival, featuring songs including Little Girl Blue, Backlash Blues, Stars and I Wish I Knew How it Would Feel to Be Free

12.30am The Decade The Music Died (Sky Arts)

1.20am For One Night Only – Rod Stewart (VM1)

2.05am David Bowie Serious Moonlight Tour (Sky Arts)
    1983 from Vancouver

That's more or less that, if you have seen anything else do let us know.

Slightly odd to see music shows on BBC2 on Saturday night, maybe that will be the future if/when BBC4 departs

Neil Brand, who has done a number of BBC4 shows about film scores, released a short Youtube video about doing scores for comedy this week. Well worth a listen if you have 11 minutes to spare

Archive clip of the week is this rare Johnny Cash collaboration with the remaining Monkees from 1969, filmed in The Grand Old Opry.

And finally, I don't know if the film is any good but the start of Baby Driver (RTE1 Saturday 9.35pm) might be the Best film intro in sync to Harlem Shuffle by Bob and Earl. They must have spent a while doing it, House of Pain thought the first few notes were the best.

Advertisement