Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BeebRock II - Music Shows on BBC Four, Sky Arts and everywhere else

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 72,660 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Red Right Hand - oh yeah :D

‘Push The Sky Away’ - amazing song.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,050 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Skid X wrote: »
    9pm & 11.30pm Urban Myths - Backstage At Live Aid (Sky Arts)
    Neil Forsyth's comic reimagning of the events among the superstars and crew milling around the green room at the Live Aid concerts in 1985. Jonas Armstrong and Martin Compston star [All Episodes of this now available to stream for Sky Subscribers]
    https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/urban_myths_backstage_at_live_aid/
    Did anyone else enjoy this? Freddie Mercury creeping on Bono, Elton fuming about Noel Edmonds' chopper ruining his flower beds, and all the acts avoiding going on early to make sure they got the US TV coverage. I'd love to know how much of it was based on fact, but very funny either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

Did anyone else enjoy this? Freddie Mercury creeping on Bono, Elton fuming about Noel Edmonds' chopper ruining his flower beds, and all the acts avoiding going on early to make sure they got the US TV coverage. I'd love to know how much of it was based on fact, but very funny either way.

Yeah, I liked it although it could have been a bit longer. The guy from Line of Duty was great as the pissed off Midge Ure. They crammed a lot into it.

Here's a short interview with the Producer, sounds like there was a fair amount of truth in it.

https://www.todayfm.com/podcasts/85945/Urban-Myths---Backstage-At-Live-Aid

Another article here

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/event/article-2329571/Freddie-Mercury-trying-Bono-The-Live-Aid-story-youve-heard-before.html

It's on Youtube at the moment, it might not stay up

Hello, this weekend sees BBC4 breaking with tradition by showing a new programme! It is a Jeff Beck documentary, taken from a soon to be released DVD which sounds decent. Sky Arts counters with an Alice Cooper doc from a few years ago which they haven't shown before (I think). Elsewhere there are lots of the old reliables including plenty of Johnny Cash on Sky and another chance to tape the Concert for George ...

Thursday
    11am Trailblazers - Heavy Metal (Sky Arts)

4pm Trailblazers - New Romantics (Sky Arts)

7.30pm & 12.20am Top Of The Pops 1985 - August 29th (BBC4)
    John Peel and Janice Long present the edition from August 29, including music by Dan Hartman, D Train, Madness and the Thompson Twins. https://www.thetvdb.com/?tab=episode&seriesid=78332&seasonid=655748&id=5857987&lid=7

2.35am Leonard Cohen: I'm Your Man (Sky Arts)
    Documentary about the life and career of the Canadian singer-songwriter, who details the intricacies of his distinctive brand of music, and his unique outlook on life. Archive footage and photographs from Cohen's private collection illustrate high points from his career, and there are performances of his songs by artists including Nick Cave, Jarvis Cocker, the Handsome Family, Beth Orton, Rufus Wainwright and Martha Wainwright at a 2005 tribute concert in Sydney

Johnny Cash Night on Sky Arts!
    7pm The Gospel Music Of Johnny Cash (Sky Arts)
    How the singer sought spiritual fulfilment in music, scripture and visits to the Holy Land. Featuring archive footage and interviews with friends and family

9pm & 11.30pm Urban Myths - Johnny Cash and The Ostrich (Sky Arts)
    The tale of the country star's run-in with an ostrich in a Nottingham hotel, much to the surprise of manager Jean. Comedy written by and starring Frank Skinner, with Isy Suttie
    https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/apr/24/frank-skinner-johnny-cash-started-me-on-the-rocky-road-to-alcoholism-ostrich-attack

9.30pm Johnny Cash's Bitter Tears (Sky Arts)
    The story behind Johnny Cash's lost Native American-themed concept album and his collaboration with folk artist Peter La Farge
    http://www.pbs.org/program/johnny-cashs-bitter-tears/

10.45pm Johnny Cash: A Legend In Concert (Sky Arts)
    A selection of early recordings by the country star, featuring performances of Five Feet High and Rising, I Got Stripes and Don't Take Your Guns to Town

Friday
    11am Trailblazers - New Romantics (Sky Arts)

4pm Trailblazers - Pop Radio (Sky Arts)

7pm Johnny Cash Song By Song - Sunday Mornin' Coming Down (Sky Arts)

7.30pm Dolly Parton Song By Song - 9 to 5 (Sky Arts)

7.30pm Sounds Like Friday Night (BBC1)
    At the now refurbished Television Centre studio in London's White City, singer-songwriter George Ezra performs his new single Shotgun. Anne-Marie and Chvrches also perform. Hosted by Greg James and Dotty

8pm Video Killed The Radio Star - Depeche Mode (Sky Arts)

8.30pm Discovering Music - Leonard Cohen (Sky Arts)

9pm & 1.30am Jeff Beck: Still On The Run (BBC4) New!
    The life history of the musical maverick offering an overview of Beck's output, including his days with the Yardbirds, which brought him to the US for the first time, and The Jeff Beck Group, whose first incarnation included Ronnie Wood and Rod Stewart. Featuring interviews with Beck, Wood and Stewart as well as an array of his peers and collaborators, including Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, David Gilmour, Slash and Joe Perry
    http://jeffbeck.com/jeff-beck-still-run-jeff-beck-story/
    http://ultimateclassicrock.com/jeff-beck-still-on-the-run/

9.55pm The History Of The Clash (Sky Arts)
    Documentary exploring the band's career. Featuring interviews with Mick Jones, Paul Simonon and Topper Headon, plus archive contributions by Joe Strummer

10.25pm & 2.55am Latin Music USA (BBC4)
    Ep 2/4 Salsa Documentary exploring the history of salsa music in the country through the memories of influential musicians. The programme explores how the genre emerged in 1960s New York when many Puerto Ricans and Cubans settled in city, and even though the immigrants lived in poverty, they created an innovative sound that became the voice of Latin people during the 1970s. With contributions by Ruben Blades, Willie Colon, Eddie Palmieri and Johnny Pacheco

10.45pm The Windmill Lane Sessions (TG4)
    Music performances filmed at the Windmill Lane Recording Studios in Dublin, continuing with Four of Us, O Emperor and Mary Coughlan

11pm Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Live At Austin City Limits (Sky Arts)
    The band perform at Austin City Limits, Texas, in an exhilarating career-spanning set

11.25pm Sammy Davis Junior - The Kid In The Middle (BBC4)
    Documentary charting the rise and fall of dancer, singer and actor Sammy Davis Jr, who made his debut at the age of five and was a key member of the Rat Pack. The entertainer overcame racial prejudice and became known as a civil rights campaigner, marching alongside Martin Luther King in the 1960s, but remains something of an enigma - a workaholic and spendaholic who put his career before his family and died leaving them millions of dollars in debt. Featuring contributions by family and friends including Paul Anka, Engelbert Humperdinck, the Rev Jesse Jackson and Ben Vereen. Narrated by Lynne Seymour

12.15am Brian Johnson's A Life On The Road - Sting (Sky Arts)
    Brian heads to New York to meet his old friend Sting, who reflects on the Police's humble beginnings, his rise to fame, the band's break-up and his pre-show rituals

12.30am Duets: The Andy Williams Show (BBC4)
    A selection of the veteran performer's favourite duets recorded during his decade-long run as host of a weekly variety show on the American network NBC. Featuring Bing Crosby, Ray Charles, Johnny Mathis and Ella Fitzgerald, as well as Judy Garland singing Somewhere Over the Rainbow, and Ray Charles with What'd I Say

1.15am Rock and Roll - Pain (Sky Arts)
    Ep 2/10 A look at how heartache has had a pervasive presence in rock n' roll, from the lonesome world of Hank Williams to the soulful virtuosity of Donny Hathaway

2.45am Nick Cave & The Bad Seed - Once More With Feeling (Sky Arts)
    Documentary chronicling the recording of the band's album Skeleton Tree, exploring the deeply personal circumstances surrounding the making of it

Saturday
    6.10am A John Williams Celebration: LA Opening Gala 2014 (Sky Arts)
    Gustavo Dudamel leads the Los Angeles Philharmonic in a tribute to composer John Williams, the man behind the scores to Star Wars, Jaws and Schindler's List among others

7pm Disco at the BBC (Yesterday)
    Archive performances of disco classics by acts including Chic, Rose Royce, Labelle, Gladys Knight and Village People, from shows such as Top of the Pops, The Old Grey Whistle Test and Later with Jools Holland

7.30pm Depeche Mode - Live in Berlin (Sky Arts)
    A 2013 concert by the band at the O2 World arena, featuring tracks from 13th studio album Delta Machine, as well as hits including Personal Jesus and Policy of Truth

8pm Easy Listening Hits at the BBC (Yesterday)
    Archive performances by some of the best-known easy-listening musicians of the 1960s and 70s, including Sergio Mendes & Brasil 66, Burt Bacharach, the Carpenters and Andy Williams

9pm & 2.30am Super Duper Alice Cooper (Sky Arts) New!
    Documentary about the rock singer, featuring contributions by fellow musicians Elton John and Iggy Pop and lyricist Bernie Taupin

9pm Love Songs at the BBC (Yesterday)
    A selection of romantic songs, including tracks by Celine Dion, Joe Cocker and Jennifer Warnes, Jason Donovan and Kylie Minogue, 10cc, Lionel Richie, Hot Chocolate and Chaka Khan

10pm Motown at the BBC (Yesterday)
    A compilation of studio performances by some of Motown's greatest artists, originally broadcast to mark the record label's 50th anniversary. Featuring Diana Ross and the Supremes, the Temptations, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, the Jackson Five, the Four Tops and Stevie Wonder

11pm Black Sabbath : The End Of The End (Sky Arts)
    Documentary charting the band's last gig, a sold-out home town performance on February 4, 2017, at Birmingham's 16,000-seat Genting Arena

11.20pm An Godfather - Bryan Rooney (TG4)
    Actor and occasional violin player Brendan Gleeson sets out on a journey to discover the story of musician Bryan Rooney - who moved to London in the 1967 aged 16 to pursue his dream of playing a fiddle

11.35pm Top Of The Pops 1985 - August 29th (BBC4)
    As Thursday

12.05am Jeff Beck: Still On The Run (BBC4)
    As Friday

1am Rock And Roll: Love (Sky Arts)
    Ep 3/10 A look at how love has always been a key component in the history of rock 'n' roll, featuring interviews and music from Carly Simon, Martha Wainwright and Wilko Johnson

Sunday
    7.20am Marvin Hamlisch: What He Did For Love (Sky Arts)
    The life and work of the American composer and conductor, who created the Broadway musical A Chorus Line and Oscar-winning scores for The Way We Were and The Sting

9pm Coldplay: Austin City Limits (Sky Arts) New!
    The band's 2011 appearance at the Texas Festival, including performances of Yellow, In My Place, The Scientist and Paradise

10pm Noel Hill - Aisling Ghear (TG4)
    A portrait of the renowned Irish musician and concertina player, Noel Hill, as he recovers from a serious assault which left him a shadow of his former self

10.15pm Johnny Cash: Behind Walls (Sky Arts)
    Linda Ronstadt and Roy Clark join the Man in Black for this 1976 concert at Tennessee State Prison, including performances of Folsom Prison Blues and A Boy Named Sue

11.15pm Urban Myths - Johnny Cash and The Ostrich (Sky Arts)
    As Thursday

11.45pm Johnny Cash's Bitter Tears (Sky Arts)
    As Thursday

1am An Evening With Mark Knopfler (Sky Arts)
    Concert from the Hurlingham Club in London, featuring an intimate live performance by the former lead singer of Dire Straits. The show features songs from his solo career and several Straits hits including Romeo and Juliet, Money for Nothing and Sultans of Swing

2.15am Concert For George (Sky Arts)
    A special tribute concert for George Harrison filmed at the Royal Albert Hall, and featuring surviving Beatles Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr. Eric Clapton, Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty, Ravi Shankar, Jools Holland and George's son Dhani sing renditions of hits including Taxman and My Sweet Lord

11.55pm & 2.55am Brian Pern (GOLD)
    Se Ep 2/3 The musician records a charity record in aid of bi-polar polar bears, but there are conditions from his label about its content. He must make the album commercial, Christmassy and full of cutting-edge duets with big stars - none of which comes easy to him. Meanwhile, Brian's health problems also come to a head after he learns he has invested millions into an aggressive tax-avoidance scheme and HM Revenue & Customs wants its money back. Spoof music documentary, starring Simon Day, with Anna Maxwell Martin and Roger Allam

... The first half of the George Harrison Concert is Indian music which is grand but the second half is terrific with Beatles and Wilburys and more. Yesterday repeat all the music shows they broadcast on Saturday again on Sunday morning, presumably so they can say "here's what you missed yesterday on Yesterday"

The best Lulu song from a film about a visionary teacher who somehow changes the fortunes of an inner city school class from delinquents into fine upstanding schoolgoers is a tough call but it might go to 'To Sir, With Love', from the film 'To Sir, With Love' (True Movies, Wednesday 9pm)

Natalie Merchant and Michael Stipe had a bash at the same song a few years later

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm a huge fan of Jeff Beck - the guitarist every other guitarist admires. Even when he is just 'sitting in' he is awesome.

Looking forward to the Alice Cooper film on Saturday night :)

All hail The Coop!

Is that...a keytar? :O :D

Thompson Twins! Yeeeeah!

I’ll sit down now. :blush:

Madness, Bananarama and Bryan Ferry all barely squeaking into the Top 40 there.

Top 40 Limpers.

• Advertisement

KING!

The last sound I hear before I fall asleep tonight will be of Alannah Currie screaming.

:(

Former England Rugby Captain Laurence Dallaglio sang backing vocals on that Tina Turner song

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1500238/Dallaglio-my-secret-life-as-Tina-Turners-backing-vocalist.html

As one of the most recognisable faces in British sport, Lawrence Dallaglio has earned millions of pounds from advertising and sponsorship deals. But the former England rugby captain is still owed £250 in royalties from a music recording he made when he was a 12-year-old choirboy.

In what must come as a severe blow to his tough-man reputation, it has emerged that 6ft 4in Dallaglio was a gifted chorister who recorded the backing vocals for a Tina Turner hit song in 1985.

We Don't Need Another Hero, which became the theme tune to the film Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome, features the choir from King's House School in Richmond, south London, where Dallaglio was a pupil.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,629 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Former England Rugby Captain Laurence Dallaglio sang backing vocals on that Tina Turner song

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1500238/Dallaglio-my-secret-life-as-Tina-Turners-backing-vocalist.html

Wow! No way!

Can he play the keytar?

Have UB40 tried just having one big group hug?

Always sorts things out!

Don’t fight it...hug it out :D

Schedule change to BBC4 tonight

Sammy Davis Jnr and the Andy Williams Duet Show are cancelled, replaced by

11.25pm Rollermania: Britain's Biggest Boy Band

12.30am Motown at the BBC

I don't know why.

Late Late tonight is a debate on abortion. I'm delighted with this, because I want to watch the Latin Rhythms show. So I will.

I'm enjoying this Jeff Beck thing, The Yardbirds guitar talent was a bit ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Ya. It's very good

• Advertisement

Does Slash just book a day every so often to sit in a room and do a little talking head bit for every programme made about any guitar player during the year?

I swear I've heard him say about 15 different people are his favourite player.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭OldRio

That was seriously good.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Does Slash just book a day every so often to sit in a room and do a little talking head bit for every programme made about any guitar player during the year?

I swear I've heard him say about 15 different people are his favourite player.

Ha, to be fair in 2014 he narrowed it down to his Top 12 guitarists

Slash’s Top 12 Guitarists
    Joe Perry – Aerosmith
    Brad Whitford – Aerosmith
    Jeff Beck
    Jimmy Page – Led Zeppelin
    Billy Gibbons – ZZ Top
    Mick Taylor – The Rolling Stones
    BB King
    Albert King
    Rory Gallagher
    Pete Townshend – The Who
    Joe Walsh – The Eagles
    Jimi Hendrix

Read more at http://musicfeeds.com.au/news/slash-names-his-12-best-guitarists-of-all-time/#18rTTwHY66BdY77d.99

I'd imagine that list started out as Slash's Top 10 guitarists but he didn't want to leave anyone out. Cos he's decent like that. Probably added more to his list since then.

I would watch a series on Slash's favourite guitarists, BBC or Sky or someone in America should get moving on that.

Joe Perry – Aerosmith
    Jeff Beck
    Billy Gibbons – ZZ Top
    BB King
    Albert King
    Rory Gallagher
    Pete Townshend – The Who
    Joe Walsh – The Eagles
    Jimi Hendrix

Read more at http://musicfeeds.com.au/news/slash-names-his-12-best-guitarists-of-all-time/#18rTTwHY66BdY77d.99

I'd imagine that list started out as Slash's Top 10 guitarists but he didn't want to leave anyone out. Cos he's decent like that. Probably added more to his list since then.

I would watch a series on Slash's favourite guitarists, BBC or Sky or someone in America should get moving on that.

Do you not decide what's on BBC4? Pull the trigger, man. I'd defo watch that.

To be fair, it's a great list. Of course he meant Eddie instead of yer fella from The Eagles. That's a typo or something.

Joe Perry – Aerosmith
    Jeff Beck
    Billy Gibbons – ZZ Top
    BB King
    Albert King
    Rory Gallagher
    Pete Townshend – The Who
    Joe Walsh – The Eagles
    Jimi Hendrix

Just clicked that link.

I could swear I read a magazine interview at the time of World on Fire when he mentioned Synyster Gates from Avenged Sevenfold as the current player he likes most.

I'm certain it had that picture if him too.

Made me buy an Avenged Sevenfold album. One of those weird bands where the guitar is brilliant but the songs kinda aren't.

Bit like some Van Halen albums, in that sense. Yeah, I said it.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Just clicked that link.

I could swear I read a magazine interview at the time of World on Fire when he mentioned Synyster Gates from Avenged Sevenfold as the current player he likes most.

I'm certain it had that picture if him too.

Made me buy an Avenged Sevenfold album. One of those weird bands where the guitar is brilliant but the songs kinda aren't.

Bit like some Vam Halen albums, in that sense. Yeah, I said it.

I think Slash gets asked so often he forgets and then he genuinely changes his mind. Needs a weekly televised rundown where he can document his ever changing views.

He also qualifies his statements by just talking about particular genres, like here's his favourite blues players https://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/slash-my-favourite-blues-guitarists-of-all-time-264539

I agree about the Avenged Sevenfold, your man is far better than the rest of the outfit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,967 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Joe Perry – Aerosmith
    Jeff Beck
    Billy Gibbons – ZZ Top
    BB King
    Albert King
    Rory Gallagher
    Pete Townshend – The Who
    Joe Walsh – The Eagles
    Jimi Hendrix

Pete Townsend is a super player. He has numbers on his Les Pauls :)

No room on Slash's list for Yngwie J. Malmsteen? :O

He added the J himself (seriously!) just in case people get confused with all the other Yngwie Malmsteen's out there :D

No room on Slash's list for Yngwie J. Malmsteen? :O

He added the J himself (seriously!) just in case people get confused with all the other Yngwie Malmsteen's out there :D

Hahaha. I love that.

• Advertisement

I think Slash gets asked so often he forgets and then he genuinely changes his mind. Needs a weekly televised rundown where he can document his ever changing views.

He also qualifies his statements by just talking about particular genres, like here's his favourite blues players https://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/slash-my-favourite-blues-guitarists-of-all-time-264539

I agree about the Avenged Sevenfold, your man is far better than the rest of the outfit.

Hmm.

I'd like to hear his favourite calypso players.

Guess I'll have to wait till he releases a signature calypso guitar or pedal.

Advertisement